Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #31
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=SVR73]Casper may correct me here (not sure) but I think AU XR's do not have a speed limiter, although I haven't taken my VCT that quick speed, went well beyond that in my XB coupe

In the Out back there some ware I had 220 on tha dail of my xr8 no sign of limiter. :eclipsee_ got scared but... man them gum trees + critters started looken real BIG......................

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #32
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Has there actually been cases of tailshaft failure on late model falcons?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #33
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No limiter on the AU XR's
Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #34
toby123
Boosted TQE FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
Dad's AU11 XR8 Ute has a180 or so limiter... i know this coz it was on a private road etc..

Project: EF Falcon Turbo... Not long till back on the road.....
Old 08-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #35
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my limiter removed, the guys kept on asking me do you want you speed limiter removed when the unichip went in and I said yeh why not.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:24 PM   #36
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms
Also not all tyres are made to handle excessive speeds. That could be another reason for the limiters.

Not quite, ADR on the matter, Euro/UN sourced, stipulates that new market vehicles must be fitted with tyres matching or exceeding the respective vehicles top speed performance.

That said, a more recent failing is the National Vehicle Standards now allow for tyres to be fitted with less than the vehicles top speed. This applies to vehicles after ADR Compliance, those currently registered.

Its a point NT has issues with, and one I concure.

Allowed as Australia's top speed "limit" is 110km/h. Bought to you by the Victorian lobby where any speed over 122km/h results in an instant fireball.

As stated, the Ford item has the limiter to prevent driveshaft issues, I'd NOT risk playing with that. If your in NT and wnat to go faster for lengths, buy another product, or re-engineer the thing.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 08-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #37
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Allowed as Australia's top speed "limit" is 110km/h. Bought to you by the Victorian lobby where any speed over 122km/h results in an instant fireball.
You mean 112km/h lol, 122 is a bigger fine, 125 you do your licence.

The limiter is there for other reasons than just the tailshaft. Eg look at the thread from the bloke in NT with the overheating diff. Also many/every other rotating part would need more stringent balancing tolerances.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #38
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
I had my limiter removed, the guys kept on asking me do you want you speed limiter removed when the unichip went in and I said yeh why not.
neat trick, unichips cant remove limiters

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #39
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell you what I6wants, when you are all growned up and can actually drive a real car, I think you wil learn that the sped limiter is not a problem, and there is no need to have it removed, in the real world.

Racing cars are for race tracks, and 180-200kmh is fast enough for any public road in australia in a std car. Nowrun along and gather your toys before mummy gets home.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #40
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
Ok, for the record.
All LWB AU's (including wagons, utes, Fairlanes, LTDs, XR Utes, T1, T2 and T3 TL50's – autos and manuals) had a 180kph limiter.. period. They also share a horrendously long driveshaft.
All non XR AU sedans (Forte, S, SR, Futura, Fairmonts) had a 180kph limiter. They all share a single piece tailshaft almost as horrendously long as the LWB cars.
AU XR’s (6 and 8) and the T1, T2 and T3 TE and TS cars had varying limiters set from a minimum of 210kph to unlimited. Indications are that the majority are unlimited with some (like mine) having it set at 210kph (I got it removed) and others set at around 240kph. Given the top feasible speed of any of these cars is around 260kph (redline in top gear…unlikely) it is fair to say that there actually could be a 240kph limiter on many that claim unlimited simply due to it being very difficult to take one of these cars to 240kph.

Note: There has been the odd proven exception of some non AU’s having no limiters (speed or rpm) however these are a vary rare exception.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #41
Rapid260

Do BA XR's fall into this category,

Kev.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #42
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid260

Kev.
no idea about BA's, sorry

Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #43
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid260

Kev.
BA XR6 Turbo and XR8 are limited to 230km/h. Not sure about XR6 N/A or the ute versions.

The FPV GT, GT-P and F6 Typhoon are limited to 250km/h. Not sure about the Pursuit, Super Pursuit and F6 Tornado though.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 08-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #44
Rapid260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
BA XR6 Turbo and XR8 are limited to 230km/h. Not sure about XR6 N/A or the ute versions.
cheers for that, 180km/hr as far as i've been in the ute, dont really want to be going too close 230km/hr

Kev.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #45
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

230/250 is fast enough in the NT isnt it?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #46
Psycho Chicken
Banned

No one does that speed in the NT anyway. Except for all the interstate ****ers out to prove something. The locals don't go beyond 150-160 odd from what I hear. You'd be wasting too much fuel at 200kph.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #47
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

What sort of revs would you be doing at that speed anyway? in the Mk1 and Mk2/BF? Manual that is.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #48
Steffo
LPG > You

BA Mk1 GT (5spd TR3650, 245/40 ZR18 tyres, 3.46:1 final drive) would be doing 3850rpm at 200km/h in 5th.

I'd imagine a 6-speed wouldn't be too different... when I'm feeling less lazy I'll look up the MkII manual's 6th gear ratio.... and the BF 6spd auto ratio's to find those out.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #49
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Why race in the outback miles from help when you need it, boiling hot sun etc, when you can just goto a local drag strip or race track!? It's much safer, requires more skill and won't endanger any old guys driving a fugly Cressida with home made spats.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 PM   #50
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

O.K. so by no means do i think that you should do 200Kmph
But maybe that he has changed his diff ratio ?

I have and i used to hit the 180 cut out all the time . I could not even go out to overtake a truck with out hitting it .
Yes there is a way of getting around the speed limiter you dont HAVE to get a uni chip but that is 1 way of doing it ..

I used to hit the 180 speed limiter when infact i was doing 125km .. So some times it can be a bad thing ..
Old 08-01-2006, 10:46 PM   #51
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
No one does that speed in the NT anyway. Except for all the interstate ****ers out to prove something. The locals don't go beyond 150-160 odd from what I hear. You'd be wasting too much fuel at 200kph.
Is that why I got passed by a state government car while I was doing 160, I kept pace with him and he was doing 200?
Locals do that sort of speed, they just pick the roads and conditions well, I kept pace with the governemt car from Katherine to the QLD Border and he did not drop below 200 except for the bends, fuel consumption was aweful and it chewed through a set of tyres but it was a great way top travel. You cover 200km in an hour, have a half hour break and then go for another hour before your next half hour break, there was no driver fatigue.
By the way, the BA XR8 does stop accelerating at 230km/h and at 200km/h fully loaded it is one hand on the wheel smooth, no front end float or vibration. It is actually smoother at 160km/h than it is at 110km/h, go figure. Of course this is in a XR8 that has been serviced and inspected before departing, new tyres and an alignment done. It was while I drove across from WA to QLD when I moved.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #52
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
Is that why I got passed by a state government car while I was doing 160, I kept pace with him and he was doing 200?
Don't be silly, everyone knows work cars go faster!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #53
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Don't be silly, everyone knows work cars go faster!
What surprised me was it was a toyota avalon, can't believe I was keeping pace with an avalon! Know they were government workers because I spoke to them. They were on their way to the border for something about road upgrades.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #54
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I Have had my super pursuit up to 220kph on bitumen rd. At about 190kph you could feel the car getting sucked down to the road and it felt good and smooth up to 220kph, then I got scared and slowed down to my normal 120

I also have a 250kph speed limiter that will probably never be used.

Straight rd and controled conditions, the roads in most places dont let you go much over 200, before they become an ocean in most cars.

If you want to push your limits then one day something will break, or you will outdrive your own ability, not good either way.

John
(PS I want you guys around till next year, drive safe)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #55
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the AUII XR8 I have done Tennant Crk to Alice Springs in 3.5 hrs the distance is 510klm.
guess what the average speed was?

On the way had to slow down for an eagle who cost us $700.00 when he cleaned up the drivers side lights.

Just for interests sake I was cruising had not hit the 250kph.....if I was serious at the time could have done it in 2.5hrs.

All utes are limited to 180..all XRs will get to the end of the speedo.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #56
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I HAD a friend lose front uni in a Torana at 160Kph + , the car was torn in half , wasn't a pretty sight. Everything has limits....
i sneezed in the back of a torry once, near tore it in half too !! all the rust it:
Old 09-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #57
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

One night I did Katherine BP road house to Stuart Park in Darwin in 1hr 45 mins! And I obeyed the speed limits I came across ! small towns and roadhouses , and the 100 kph speed limit starts about 30 k's out of Darwin !

My old XD had no problem with the tail shaft at all ! And no speed limiter either ! I was surprised at the time , and I had 2 freinds in the car that were not in the least bit worried on the trip! One actually fell asleep in the back for awhile !

Its only 320 000 meters from Katherine to Darwin so Its not that far ! :hihi:

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Old 09-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #58
red_hotxr6
Banned

Smile speed limiters

Hubby has just got off the phone to ford and i do have a speed limiter on the xr6.It is set at 180klms and when that speed is reached the injectors cut out.If i want the limiter taken out i can ask chiptorque to do it for me, it also involves the tailshaft. The guy he talked to reckons nissans of the same era and toyotas had them put on.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #59
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man
One night I did Katherine BP road house to Stuart Park in Darwin in 1hr 45 mins! And I obeyed the speed limits I came across ! small towns and roadhouses , and the 100 kph speed limit starts about 30 k's out of Darwin !

My old XD had no problem with the tail shaft at all ! And no speed limiter either ! I was surprised at the time , and I had 2 freinds in the car that were not in the least bit worried on the trip! One actually fell asleep in the back for awhile !

Its only 320 000 meters from Katherine to Darwin so Its not that far ! :hihi:
I can personally vouch for hubby,s xf. It does not have one in it either.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #60
BlackLS

BA's
Falcons and Fairmonts - 210
XRs - 230
FPVs - 250 or so
Also I dont think LPG has a speed limiter

By the way I can see why you'd need the speed limiter removed. I know someone living in tennants creek who do trips to and from alice springs weekly and fuel economy goes really bad after 160 or so.

Closed Thread