Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Melbourne house prices falling $200 per day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Since when have you had to pay capital gains tax on your primary place of residence?
When you are in it for less than a year otherwise every property would be you PPoR for at least 30 seconds before the sale......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #32
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
I sold my house at auction last Saturday (15th)... I copped a bit of a hit IF I went by what agents quoted this time last year when the market was at the peak..
BUT, it still sold for MORE than triple (yes TRIPLE) what it cost 10 and 1/2 years ago!
Where or what else could you invest in and expect a return like that?
http://goldprice.org/charts/history/...year_o_usd.png

http://silverprice.org/charts/histor...year_o_usd.png
Old 19-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #33
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Since when have you had to pay capital gains tax on your primary place of residence?
AFAIK you don't. The 12 months holding period only applies to assets where the principal place of residence exemption doesn't apply and gives the taxpayer a 50% reduction on the assessable capital gain.

Provided you can demonstrate the property is your PPOR (which is pretty easy to prove d in it, had your mail sent there and had the utilities accounts in your name ) there is no requirement to hold it for a minimum of 12months.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #34
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But the benefits of a house is that you can live in it too. Gold an silver just sit in a bank vault.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #35
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Provided you can demonstrate the property is your PPOR (which is pretty easy to prove d in it, had your mail sent there and had the utilities accounts in your name ) there is no requirement to hold it for a minimum of 12months.
That was my understanding too as that's exactly what the Accountant told us when we were selling our (now) rental property which we lived in for less than a month!
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #36
sysh
A few screw loose

.. I guess if you had a property bought about 10 - 15 years ago, you would have made quite a killing (as mentioned by a few of the forumers in the thread), but looking at the auction clearing rate plus the shaky economic grounds that we're experiencing now, I don't foresee the prices sky-rocketing as fast as before in alot of areas. IMHO, I still feel the general housing price in Melbourne is over-priced.. and hope it'll get back to equilibrium
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #37
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
But the benefits of a house is that you can live in it too. Gold an silver just sit in a bank vault.
Well it's either one or the other: is a house an investment or a necessary utility?

Historically it's ALWAYS been the former, with the ratio between the price of a home vs annual wages have been relatively constant throughout the 20th century.

The amount of people in this country with their houses as their biggest asset is going to hit a harsh reality relatively soon.

Or I'm completely wrong and I'm just fear mongering, we'll see in a few years.
Old 19-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #38
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
.....BUT, it still sold for MORE than triple (yes TRIPLE) what it cost 10 and 1/2 years ago!......
That's pretty good as you say, so in the next ten years one would expect it to triple in value again ?!

Looks like wages are set to rise then or houses are set to . . . . . .

Old 19-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #39
sysh
A few screw loose

.. to me, a house is an investment. even though prices may drop, but in the long term it still gives you the necessary capital gains. But of course it's always good to diversify your portfolio if the funds are available.
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #40
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with here is people may have doubled, tripled, or even had their property go up 10 times their value but every other property has too to an extent.

So unless you sell and live in a cardboard box you have made nothing.

But of course if you owned 5 or 6 properties its a different story.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #41
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
The problem with here is people may have doubled, tripled, or even had their property go up 10 times their value but every other property has too to an extent.

So unless you sell and live in a cardboard box you have made nothing.

But of course if you owned 5 or 6 properties its a different story.

Or even two properties...

Investment in property really only starts with the second one in my opinion.

But later sell the one you live in at a profit...then move to the other one and make that your principal place for a few years.

Make your investment property in the same suburb and kids go to same school etc when you move.....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post