Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #31
JR.
Once more with feeling

Default Re: Going for LWB luxury is the new AU trend???

For me, much is going to depend on how the job situation works out over the next few weeks (as in I am looking for a new full-time gig now I've finished my TAFE courses).

I really wanted to do the GAFD in February, but this may be a cheaper alternative. Honestly though, I wont be able to make a commitment to either until after New Years...

Perhaps we need to do like the T-series boys did and start planning a Fairlane/LTD Nationals for further down the track...
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #32
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
For me, much is going to depend on how the job situation works out over the next few weeks (as in I am looking for a new full-time gig now I've finished my TAFE courses).

I really wanted to do the GAFD in February, but this may be a cheaper alternative. Honestly though, I wont be able to make a commitment to either until after New Years...

Perhaps we need to do like the T-series boys did and start planning a Fairlane/LTD Nationals for further down the track...
It is all good JR. Do not take us too seriously. I don't.

It would be great to see you. I am just trying to drum up interest at this stage. Hope you can make it down. There is at least one other traveller from Sydney at this stage.

As for a Fairlane / LTD Nationals - good idea, but I think we would have to do it across all models. Might be a bit ambitious at this stage going National. I am happy to stick with Sydney to Melbourne at this stage with my Albury meet.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #33
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Its a fair hike from qld Stu....

Id have to give it a miss im afraid.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
Its a fair hike from qld Stu....

Id have to give it a miss im afraid.
Fair dinkum, some people just need to try a little harder!

Fair call I suppose. Had not noted where you hail from. Your excused. This time.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 07-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #35
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Gents is the lwb au ride comfort any better than a forte/f'mont/xr model?
I thought the extra 5 inches in wheelbase might help improve the ride.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
Hi Noddy. My first thought is yes, from when I first bought the car unmodified. Some others may be better qualified, as I have not driven a SWB version to compare for a long long time.

The Konis that I have installed along with the King springs have certainly firmed up the ride, even with the shocks on their softest setting. I do not believe it is uncomfortable though.

From what I have learnt, the springs in the LWB are not different to those in SWB except maybe for the XR.

Interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #37
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Through the week I cruise around in a hiace electricians van,wife has a territory and landau is a cruiser.

I wanted something I could drive a couple days a week,straight away the au fairlane and ltd stood right out,the value is incredible and it looks great.

This Luxo barge has a timeless look and I believe will be quite sought after in the future.

I am loving the black fairlane with the sunroof and the chrome it looks mean.THe grey leather looks okay but maybe this is something we can remedy down the track.
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #38
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
In my experience, the ride on stock suspension/tyres is identical between a Fairlane & Fairmont Ghia.

However, the LWB offers faaaaar greater comfort for rear passengers, its a much more enjoyable experience.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #39
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Especially those with LTD-Spec seats
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Guys, with the recent sparked interest in our AU LWBs, it would be great to get together for a photo shoot. It would be incredible to see all these big girls lined up together.

May I suggest, if it is possible to have as many of us at Albury on Australia day. This would be a perfect opportunity to get some awesome snaps of what would possibly the largest gathering of AU LWBs ever! Maybe the Ford production line might have beaten us!

Details of the event are here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11381524

Hope to see some there together. Tony, I hope that your big girl is up to the trip - would love to see the Fairlane rather than your wagon. We already have a convoy of cars heading south from Canberra on the day. Just need the Melbourne guys to make the effort (yes, that is directed at you Kristo) to come up and be a part of it! Dauphin's 75th was there last year, I just ran out of time to have gander at it!

Hope to see as many LWBs as possible.

Cheers
Stu
Seeing as I'm only about an hour away I should get there (with the Dragon Lady who will manage to turn it into a shopping trip!) but doubtless work will manage to muck things up and I wont be home that Sat!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #41
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Seeing as I'm only about an hour away I should get there (with the Dragon Lady who will manage to turn it into a shopping trip!) but doubtless work will manage to muck things up and I wont be home that Sat!
Would be great to finally meet you Gas. Hope you can make it.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #42
JR.
Once more with feeling

Stu, I know this is off topic, but when is the big Canberra AFD/Fords in the Park or whatever they call it down your way?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #43
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR. View Post
Stu, I know this is off topic, but when is the big Canberra AFD/Fords in the Park or whatever they call it down your way?
All good JR.

Good timing JR. This event is ran by our club and we have only just confirmed our event day for the 3/3/13. Centenary of Canberra Celebrations were causing us major headaches, but we know have it locked in. Hope you can make it down for it.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #44
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I joined this exclusive club today...
Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #45
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I joined this exclusive club today...
Nice! Not so exclusive, just spoilt!

You cannot leave it there Sox! Photos or it never happened.

Welcome - if can say that for a non formal collective.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #46
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

It's a 2002 Sportsman, 3/4 engine, with a whopping 830,000k's...
Paid $1500, so it's worth it in spares if it ends up being too much of a basket case.
I'm just going to fix the problems initially, don't know how far I'll go with it.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #47
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Paid $1500, so it's worth it in spares if it ends up being too much of a basket case.
I'm just going to fix the problems initially, don't know how far I'll go with it.
Very nice. It is the right colour at least!

Looks like the passenger seat in that limited glance has hardly been sat in! Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #48
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Sorry, forgot to ask. 6 or 8?

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #49
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Sorry, forgot to ask. 6 or 8?
6 pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Very nice. It is the right colour at least!
Looks like the passenger seat in that limited glance has hardly been sat in! Hope it all works out for you.
Yeh, I like the silver.
Interior is too good to be true considering the k's, only the drivers seat looks somewhat squashed and worn.

Plenty of small things don't work, and the bloke claims it will only work on LPG.
He seems to think when the gas was installed, it was done in such a way that the petrol won't work at all.
Sounds silly to me, but I haven't gone over that side of things yet.

I don't want the bbq fuel at all and will remove if possible.

The body has the odd dent, and the engine bay looks like it's never been cleaned.
Apparently it's only the 2nd engine, but 4th tranny.

Suspension feels feels a little odd and floaty, doesn't track too good either, pulls right when on the go pedal and left when on the brakes.
One shock must be bunk too, as one corner seems to float more than the rest.

Otherwise that, it's rather decent.

Oh, and it's missing a hubcap if anyone has one...
Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #50
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
With those k's would it be an ex taxi?

3/4 engine?

Keep the Gas they go just as good and a lot cheaper to run.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #51
SportsmanV8

Welcome to the Sportsman club, Sox.

Looks like a bit of weekend tinkering will see it right.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #52
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsmanV8 View Post
Welcome to the Sportsman club, Sox.

Looks like a bit of weekend tinkering will see it right.
Thanks mate, I'm sure it will scrub up ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
With those k's would it be an ex taxi?

3/4 engine?

Keep the Gas they go just as good and a lot cheaper to run.
It is an ex taxi. The bloke bought it new, ran it on a single shift by himself.

V8 = full engine.
6 is 3/4 of 8.

Not big on gas myself, unless it's a proper dedicated system with the engine designed for it.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
It is an ex taxi. The bloke bought it new, ran it on a single shift by himself.
Thought so, I think the 'Silver Service' cabs were only driven by the owners.

Quote:
Not big on gas myself, unless it's a proper dedicated system with the engine designed for it.
Dedicated LPG engines aren't very much different.

Quote:
V8 = full engine.
6 is 3/4 of 8.
I've had a couple of V12 Jags in the past, so would that bring your 3/4 down to 1/2
Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #54
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Lol, at least I'm not the only one with an ex-silver service taxi!

I have less KM's for a change, haha.

If it was done the same way as my Fairlane, they would've left the injectors in and plugged in, but removed the fuel tank and cut the lines off.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #55
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Quote:
I'm first in line if you decide to part it out. I'll buy many many things off it
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #56
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

I want the drivers seat! Haha
Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #57
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon View Post
I want the drivers seat! Haha
That's the bad one though, the rest are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Thought so, I think the 'Silver Service' cabs were only driven by the owners.

Dedicated LPG engines aren't very much different.

I've had a couple of V12 Jags in the past, so would that bring your 3/4 down to 1/2
Dedicated gas will typically have more comp, and different tune.
Dual fuel is always a compromise. The aftermarket gas systems are usually crap to, very restrictive.
I'm pedantic about things like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Lol, at least I'm not the only one with an ex-silver service taxi!

I have less KM's for a change, haha.

If it was done the same way as my Fairlane, they would've left the injectors in and plugged in, but removed the fuel tank and cut the lines off.
Injectors are there, as is all wiring.
Tank and lines are also there.
The bloke didn't know any detail, only claimed it won't work.
My bet is it's something very simple, in any case, I have a 'few' donor cars here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL.50
I'm first in line if you decide to part it out. I'll buy many many things off it
I'll keep that in mind.
It wouldn't be until March though, as that's when rego is due.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #58
EL.50
Just cruisin'

I'm in no rush. Just let me know
Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #59
Sox
RIP...

Removed all the gas garbage in the engine bay today.
Reconnected a lot of wires which were cut from a very bodgy gas install.
Changed injectors as they were completely full of carbon.
Cleaned reg, was full of poo.
Fuel pump worked for a few minutes, seems bunk now.

Will change fuel pump tomorrow and see what happens.

I guess things just die after 10 years of no use.

Any one of you blokes want some spare gas garbage? I'll swap ya a hubcap for one of my rims...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #60
EL.50
Just cruisin'

What gas stuff is there?