Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #31
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I flat out refuse to use a BP for anything other than a Subway bacon and egg roll.
I cant speak for the petrol quality, but from many comparisons over the years i have found their gas to be crap and always dearer
I now use Caltex for all my fuels and can honestly say i get atleast 50k more inner city driving from a tank of gas than i did when i used BP, sometimes upto 80k's.

I first noticed this when my mother complained about the gas usage in her EL falcon and so we kept a close eye on the k's she could do on different brands.

BP was the worst from a economy point of view, performance im not sure of as she is 67 and doesnt really drive hard so is irrelevant
Old 05-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #32
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFXR
try paying $1.48/L that happened to me this morning at my local BP in Manly!!!
Quit your whinging.. some are worse off...lol
wow! i paid that for premium here in Bombala (as far from sydney as you can without going into victoria.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #33
gtfpv
GT

bfHAH !!! LOL . bluehoon you made me laugh .
anyhow . somethi9ng to consider . 5 BP servos i use were all the same price yesterday $1.32/ litre for E10. no regular unleaded option. the one i used this morning at 5am on king georges road i was the only car filling up there. 100m up the road the woolworths one had a queue of 200metres becuase the price was $1.12 per litre.
now THE NOVATED LEASE THING !!. it's true i dont pay GST. BUT I DO PAY $1.32 PER LITRE LESS GST.
THE BULK PRICE I DO NOT GET. i think the company buys it at bulk , but the pump price is what i pay . well my receipts say so anyway . unless the pay back some later i dont know but i doubt it .
now the fuel quality i agree .
my GT only ever getsa filled with BP ULTIMATE- on a performance car there is nothing else . i dont even check the price when we fill this up . differant hey .
but a work traveler xr6 . i'm a little ****ed at 12 buck a tank dearer

now bfiipursuit . that MOTOR CHARGE CARD is the GO $4 a month could save me $50p month or $600pa over 3yrs . with choice of station . i could buy premium 95 for less than i pay for E10.
THANKS FOR THE TIP CHEERS .
LOL
ANYONME ELSE PLEASE HUMOUR ME , AND THANKS FOR THE INPUT .
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #34
gtfpv
GT

DOUBLE POST.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #35
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Around my area, Shell seems to be the most expensive.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #36
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

This morning when I left for work, the BP was 1.15 and one further down the road was 1.15, same price when I got home at ~4. The Mobil further down was 1.32 and the Shell was 1.36 in the morning.

The BP's in my area for whatever reason are consistently cheaper but perhaps they didn't realise today was a Friday. I would have expected them to be ~1.32 as well.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #37
durtyharry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
As for the 4 cents per litre fuel docket, well, .04 x 60 litres, you saved $2.40 after spending over $30.. Sucked in and spat out.

For those on novated leases, if you're complaining you really need to think... You're getting fuel GST free, reduced corporate rate due to fuel card and paying pre-tax which nets an even highier return on your dollar. If you aren't getting those benefits as part of the novated package then you didn't do your homework suffeciently!!!!

E.G. $1.48 per litre of ultimate normal sale, under a proper novated package should be charged to you (pre tax, no gst, bulk rate keeping in mind) at $1.29 ish...

Arguing over $10 dollars or so for a premium product, and then double dipping the whinge when you're so far ahead under novated leasing?
Sorry but that really is whinging tight a$$$ material.

Go and get a diesel car and make your own bio diesel....

Buy a bike or think about the local truckie paying $400 for tank of diesel...
Saving 4c/L seemed a good deal when I was using lpg at about 35cpl , but yeh, you are right, even though the savings per tank is the same, when you are handing over $100+ for a tank of fuel saving $2.8 seems hardly worth even doing a u turn for.

Was thinking along similar lines(dont know about the quality issue), the rest of us are subsidising your ride and you are still whinging. Next time? if it worries you, find out who the fuel card is with before signing up.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #38
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
now THE NOVATED LEASE THING !!. it's true i dont pay GST. BUT I DO PAY $1.32 PER LITRE LESS GST.
THE BULK PRICE I DO NOT GET. i think the company buys it at bulk , but the pump price is what i pay . well my receipts say so anyway . unless the pay back some later i dont know but i doubt it .
I can give an explanation of how it works. Sort of
The individual servo (speaking of brand franchisees, that is Like a Caltex servo run by a franchisee) They pay the wholesale rate for the fuel...they pay this price whatever it may be at the time the fuel is delivered. They will get notice of when the wholesale price changes usually 12 hours in advance. (This has little or nothing to do with the pump price) The pump price is market driven and support driven. Now being a franchise or independent owner the fuel company CANNOT dictate they must sell the fuel at any given price. If a franchisee wanted to he could sell fuel for $100 a litre and no one not even the ACCC could do anything about it. That would be an individual business decision by the franchisee. Of course if the price of the product was that far out of the ball park no one would be silly enough to buy fuel from there which is why it does not happen to that extent.
What the fuel companies do is give "pricing support" on local market conditions. What I would do before every shift I worked at a servo is to drive around the competing servos to get the prices in the area and those prices are reported to the fuel company. In turn they give "price support" to help their franchise and ultimately their brand a competitive product in the area.
So the message you get back is along the lines of you have so much price support, we recommend you price at xxxx cents per litre. The fuel company can see via the cash register/computer system what prices you are selling at. If you don't take the offer of the price support or choose to ignore it, the fuel company withdraws support to you and may not offer future price support.
Now back to what the servo pays for fuel under the wholesale price.
As you are aware prices go up and down all the time.
Servos that had purchased fuel at a higher price would have thousands of litres of fuel in the ground which they potentially lose money on by trying to stay competitive. Often a servo will sell fuel for less than they paid for it due to the price changes. So the pricing support is like a rebate off what is paid for the next delivery of fuel. e.g. lets say the delivery is $10,000 there may be rebates of $1000.00 due making the bill $9000.00

I hope all this made sense to you.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #39
prydey
Rob

i'm not one to whinge about fuel company's overcharging but there is one thing that confuses me.

before everything went pear shaped, the barrel price on oil was edging toward $150+ or more (can't quite remember). suddenly, it falls by over 30% (again, exact amount fails me), the dollar is still quite strong and yet prices at the pump, although they dropped down to under $1/L, have risen again much more rapidly than what the barrel price has. if the barrel price does make its way back to the previous levels, we will be paying much more at the pump than what it peaked at before - somewhere around $1.70L. why is this.

this is even more evident with lpg. the price of propane/butane dropped substantially and lpg got back into the 30cpl range but again, has risen much quicker than the price of the base product. lpg is already pretty much back to where it was, and yet the price of propane/butane isn't anywhere near what it was.

obviously supply/dmand and exchange rates (singapore?) have a lot to do with it?

this is a genuine question for anyone in the know. not a 'we are getting ripped' whinge.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #40
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I only use BP Ultimate for my XR8 so i just pay whatever it is, i just go to my local Caltex for my 4wd, all fuel comes from the same holding yards so its just dumb when theres so much difference in prices :
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #41
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
I only use BP Ultimate for my XR8 so i just pay whatever it is, i just go to my local Caltex for my 4wd, all fuel comes from the same holding yards so its just dumb when theres so much difference in prices :
Same yards, different tanks, The big three are different, Shell, Caltex and BP.

But they all come from the same oil stock, they are also seperated in the same fashion.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #42
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyharry
Saving 4c/L seemed a good deal when I was using lpg at about 35cpl , but yeh, you are right, even though the savings per tank is the same, when you are handing over $100+ for a tank of fuel saving $2.8 seems hardly worth even doing a u turn for.

Was thinking along similar lines(dont know about the quality issue), the rest of us are subsidising your ride and you are still whinging. Next time? if it worries you, find out who the fuel card is with before signing up.
HAH!!! YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT . i'm keeping australian companies in business by novated leasing . in a lease the interest rate is about %12pa . i am employing a fleet company to manage , the company i work for gets GST CREDITS so it cost them nothing to cover GST .
and because i CAN i AM . otherwise i'd be buying a 2nd hand car and one less new aussie car would be turned over.
if you knew abuot a novated lease . you would KNOW that the employee saves i little , not A LOT . and all the others involved taking thier cut are making shitloads and all the risk is mine, including the govt , my employers, the fleet company , insurance companies and dealer service and parts . something i normally do my self is maintain a car , now others will be employed to do it , in order to do this i have to be in a position to afford to sacrafice a fair cut of may wage too dude . its not A GIFT .
like i said i save a little , and many make big money off my savings. think of the bank for example . you can invest your moiney in a bank at 8% pa , because of things like this .
GROW up dude . I'M acar enthusiast . many people with heaps of wealth are driving 15 year old cars to save money , your not subsidising a cent for me.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #43
gtfpv
GT

BP FUEL HAS NOW DROPPED back down to a cheap $1.22c litre IN MY AREA , shell across the road have dropped from $1.21 to $1.08.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

BP are always the first to raise prices, and the last to lower them down here. I never go there. The closest servo to them is always cheaper by at least 2-3 cents, and at the end of the cycle they are at least 15 cents cheaper than BP are for at least 24 hrs.

BP = Ripoff.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

how many other companies garauntee their fuel? BP do, and only them.

prices vary, deal with it. to come out and say one company is always dearer is short sighted. have a look around. have a read through the thread again. some BP's are the cheapest. how can that be if the thread claims they are dearest?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #46
gtfpv
GT

I CAN ONLY TALK ABOUT SYDNEY . sounds like some other states maybe they are cheaper . perhaps its a state agreement thing . who knows . but i stand by what i'm seeing with my own eyes . it doesnt mean i dont buy it though .
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #47
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see the word rogue service station used in one reply here, is Caltex a rogue servo? I travel from Lilydale to Coburg and its down right crazy with the way the prices fluctuate on the way. You would think from Lilydale the price would be hirer but some days its lower and the further into the City you go the more you pay. Bell street alone ranges from 116.7 to 123 thats for desiel. 122 at lilydae down to 116.7 Is there not some control on these prices. I think we are getting ripped off. I thought desiel was cheaper or did not fluctuate or very little
Old 07-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #48
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
BP FUEL HAS NOW DROPPED back down to a cheap $1.22c litre IN MY AREA , shell across the road have dropped from $1.21 to $1.08.
Have noticed the same with the local Mobil. This is another trend that some servo's are starting to do.

Wed.. approx 115.9
Thur.....approx 131.9
Fri... same
Sat... 114.9!

Never see it drop back down to regular price that fast. It generally creeps down a few cents a day till Wed arvo / Thur morning only for the price to hike back up and then do it all again.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:33 AM   #49
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only fill up with BP Ultimate. As much as it is consistently expensive, at least the fuel quality is just as good. WRX + BP Ultimate = good times :
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #50
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
how many other companies garauntee their fuel? BP do, and only them.
Shell do:
http://www.shell.com.au/home/content...fuels_quality/
Old 07-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #51
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFXR
try paying $1.48/L that happened to me this morning at my local BP in Manly!!!

Quit your whinging.. some are worse off...lol
i paid 1.41 for 95 in St Marys yesterday at BP.

nearly died at a $95 tank of fuel :( :( i was desperate but, got 68 litres into the tank lol
Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #52
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah does seem strange, on my way to Caltex I went past the BP and it was 1.29 for 91 thinking another expensive tank, got to Caltex and it was 1.17.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #53
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think we are getting fleeced.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #54
damir05
turbomaniac

they are most expensive servo in Perth always
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #55
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by damir05
they are most expensive servo in Perth always
To the best of my knowledge (Please correct me if I am wrong) there are no refineries in WA, which would then mean transport costs to get fuel there. This would be a part of the reason for higher prices in WA.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #56
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

In my old car that required premium, I usually found that BP was the best as mobile and caltex caused pinging in the engine whereas BP did not.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #57
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if you knew abuot a novated lease . you would KNOW that the employee saves i little , not A LOT . and all the others involved taking thier cut are making shitloads and all the risk is mine, including the govt , my employers, the fleet company , insurance companies and dealer service and parts . something i normally do my self is maintain a car , now others will be employed to do it , in order to do this i have to be in a position to afford to sacrafice a fair cut of may wage too dude . its not A GIFT .

Top post !!!
I find it funny how some people give you attitude when you whinge about a company vehicle.
You usually get "hey, at least it's free".
It's not free.
It's not a gift.
It is a part of my salary package which I work very bloody hard for thank you very much !!!

I hear ya bruv !
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #58
just_pazz
Ford Convert

In northern suburbs Melbourne all the the big servo's are within a cent of each other, with shell and caltex being that cent cheaper and BP and mobile the same at a cent more. This is for 98.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #59
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i pay about $1.30 for bp ultimate at the local bp, i refuse to fill up on thursday night/friday etc when it is $1.40+
the local bp is across the road from the 7/11 and out of the dozen servos in the area the 7/11 and bp are always cheapest. often on a monday or tuesday when 91 octane is selling for $1.15 or so at bp and 7/11, other places in werribee are selling it for 5-10c+ per litre
these two are also the closest together in the highest population area of the suburb.
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 07-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #60
gtfpv
GT

well i drove past a cheap bp servo today E10 @ $1.17 on the way to the bottleo , i paid extra for a carton of premium p i s s. next door to the sevo was a mobil . E10 @ $1.12 PREMIUM @ $1.27 WTF.
BP STIL;L AS DEAR AS F. ATLEAST THE BEER TASTED BETTER THAN STANDARD.
Closed Thread