Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 18-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #31
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
also as one of the car mags has stated, drag strips tend to give a faster time due to its radar system (or something along those lines?) where as the way they (mag) test it with the on board computer, its more accurate.

drag strips dont use a radar,

and there is no way a mag on board computer is more accurate
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #32
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL15
great time for a stock car on 91 fuel makes you wonder if the police do have work done to them thats for sure

have you had you car on a dyno as well to see what its making? that would be interesting i know the ZF is good but thats alot quicker then i have seen for BF's even with a 56kg bloke behind the wheel man thats light
I wouldn't be too sure. I'd bet its just run in alot better. They (police) give their cars are real belting.
Old 21-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #33
james22
With da Warlords

They might cop a thrashing, but they defenitely look after their cars. You should see the service history of my ex chaser for the first 40,000km. It was in ford nearly every week lol

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #34
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

everyone(including police) swears black and blue that police do nothing to their cars these days. my series 1 ba xr8 ex chaser ran 13.99 with full tank of juice and myself(115kg) in it. cheap tyres on back, spare tyre, air filter and everything else a street car has. you can put it down to being run it properly but isn't it possible there is a little bit more to it.
Old 21-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #35
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

oops! almost forgot the reason i was posting here. well done mate, thats a great time for a stocker.
Old 21-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #36
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
everyone(including police) swears black and blue that police do nothing to their cars these days. my series 1 ba xr8 ex chaser ran 13.99 with full tank of juice and myself(115kg) in it. cheap tyres on back, spare tyre, air filter and everything else a street car has. you can put it down to being run it properly but isn't it possible there is a little bit more to it.
I think I saw that pass a while back.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #37
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdreilly
Took my BF XR8 auto to WSID last night and came back pretty impressed.

First run was a 14.641, too much wheelspin by loading up the torque converter. But I did manage to reach 165.19km/h.

Second run, I took out the air filter, and didn't load up the torque converter at all, just brake off and accelerate.

60' - 2.159
330' - 4.986
660' - 8.949
ET - 13.710
Mph - 101.92
Km/h - 164.03

This is a car with standard exhaust, standard road tyres, spare wheel and jack on board, plus two baby seats in the back and I even had 3/4 of a tank of normal unleaded fuel, but a pretty light driver at 57kg.

What is the quickest stock time you have heard of for an XR8?

Timesheet for both runs attached
Great effort mate. Great time and shows some life on the BOSS.
Old 21-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #38
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
They might cop a thrashing, but they defenitely look after their cars. You should see the service history of my ex chaser for the first 40,000km. It was in ford nearly every week lol
servicing every week . ever wondered why ??? wheel alignments are common , as they are driving over islands in the middle of the road often, burnouts go through tyres very quickly too, so do 300mtr lockups. :togo:
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #39
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Mate back in 2003 my stock manual XR8 ran a 13.8,13.9 with about the same stuff you had in your car minus the baby seats and add another 20kg body mass....LOL...

Well done on the time.

Cheers Chris
Old 01-09-2007, 03:40 AM   #40
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What were your tyre pressures for the 13.71 second run? How did you launch? Did you just floor the accelerator as soon as the light turned green? Or did you gently 'crawl' off the line so that you wouldn't loose traction?
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #41
prdreilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
What were your tyre pressures for the 13.71 second run? How did you launch? Did you just floor the accelerator as soon as the light turned green? Or did you gently 'crawl' off the line so that you wouldn't loose traction?
Tyre pressure were just normal, didn't actually check them.

WSID's website says to go accelerate on the last orange, as by the time you react it will be green.

I launched with enough revs to get wheelspin (but not too much as in the first run when I was loading up the torque converter with the brake, which resulted in too much wheelspin and a slow time. Mind you the Ventus tyres are not super grippy, so it doesn't take much to get them to spin).

So yeah, just enough wheelspin to keep the engine revs up in the power band, but not too much as to lose time spinning.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #42
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a 13.606 way back before I busted an axle and stopped dragging it ! Stock except for an extra snorkel CAI. Backed it up with a 13.69 next run. 2002 BA xr8 5 speed.
13.7 from an auto is just brilliant ! Oh, and cop cars are STOCK, they do nothing to them that isn't available to the general public.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 PM   #43
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Timing Computers at the drag strip measure the terminal speed by using the amount of time it takes a vehicle to go a given distance. For the 1/8th mile usually the last 66 feet of the track, I think for the 1/4 it is the same but not 100% sure.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #44
GreenMachine39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
servicing every week . ever wondered why ??? wheel alignments are common , as they are driving over islands in the middle of the road often, burnouts go through tyres very quickly too, so do 300mtr lockups. :togo:
didnt think with abs etc that you would lock the wheels much out:
GreenMachine39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #45
james22
With da Warlords

Actually it was mainly brakes that was serviced. As I said I have the history. And yes I agree, bit hard to lock it up for 300mtrs with ABS lol. Back to the point though.

Awesome time, with an overweight BA lol, Wait till you get some serious mods into her, then your talking :-)

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #46
xr8ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
I got a 13.606 way back before I busted an axle and stopped dragging it ! Stock except for an extra snorkel CAI. Backed it up with a 13.69 next run. 2002 BA xr8 5 speed.
13.7 from an auto is just brilliant ! Oh, and cop cars are STOCK, they do nothing to them that isn't available to the general public.
Geeze thats an awesome time. I have the same mod on my BA XR8 5 speed. I would be over the moon if I ran any 13 sec pass.

The g-tech tells me that is possible, but I know there are too many variables with them. All I need is a drag strip out my way.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #47
xr8ted

Quote:

First run was a 14.641, too much wheelspin by loading up the torque converter. But I did manage to reach 165.19km/h.

Second run, I took out the air filter, and didn't load up the torque converter at all, just brake off and accelerate.

60' - 2.159
330' - 4.986
660' - 8.949
ET - 13.710
Mph - 101.92
Km/h - 164.03

This is a car with standard exhaust, standard road tyres, spare wheel and jack on board, plus two baby seats in the back and I even had 3/4 of a tank of normal unleaded fuel, but a pretty light driver at 57kg.

Awesome time there mate! Anyone else got times for stock Ba/Bf XR8s?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #48
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Didn't know the BA 8's were available in 02. Was yours a pilot build or something?

Great times in this thread from the 8's!!
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #49
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
Didn't know the BA 8's were available in 02. Was yours a pilot build or something?

Great times in this thread from the 8's!!
Don't know if it was a pilot build, it's definitely 12/02 build though ( I got it new in mid 04 ... it apparently wasn't a popular combination so it sat in yards for a while. ) . Makes it impossible to get insurance quotes online as nobody recognises 02 as a valid build date.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #50
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ted
Geeze thats an awesome time. I have the same mod on my BA XR8 5 speed. I would be over the moon if I ran any 13 sec pass.

The g-tech tells me that is possible, but I know there are too many variables with them. All I need is a drag strip out my way.
I did mine at heathcote at an AFF drag day... it was freezing cold. You also can't be kind to the clutch....
Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #51
prdreilly

Quote:
Anyone else got times for stock Ba/Bf XR8s?
If you go to the top menu of this page and select "Timeslips" you can go through all the times.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/timeslips.php?

If you look under "details" you can see if they are stock or have mod's. Although I don't know if people always list their mod's (eg. turbo boost tweeks - My friend argues that boost changes are still stock?)

Start at page 7 and 8 to get to the more unmodified cars.

You can also click on the "Slip" column to see an uploaded timeslip, which l guess is an attempt to minimise the BS factor.

Last edited by prdreilly; 10-09-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Additional info
prdreilly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #52
xr8ted

Quote:
I did mine at heathcote at an AFF drag day... it was freezing cold. You also can't be kind to the clutch....
Was that last year? I was at that day if it was!

Yeah I probably dont slip the clutch as much as I could, I always either bog down or get too much wheel spin. I guess its the happy medium which has allowed you to net such a good time.

Top effort I reckon.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #53
xr8ted

Quote:
If you go to the top menu of this page and select "Timeslips" you can go through all the times.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/timeslips.php?

If you look under "details" you can see if they are stock or have mod's. Although I don't know if people always list their mod's (eg. turbo boost tweeks - My friend argues that boost changes are still stock?)

Start at page 7 and 8 to get to the more unmodified cars.

You can also click on the "Slip" column to see an uploaded timeslip, which l guess is an attempt to minimise the BS factor.
Thanks mate, I will go have a look at that. Its really interesting I think.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #54
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was that last year? I was at that day if it was!

Yeah I probably dont slip the clutch as much as I could, I always either bog down or get too much wheel spin. I guess its the happy medium which has allowed you to net such a good time.

Top effort I reckon.
Over 2 years ago actually ... I ended up breaking an axle about a year after that and retired it from racing.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #55
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:

60' - 2.159
330' - 4.986
660' - 8.949
ET - 13.710
Mph - 101.92
Km/h - 164.03

Hello mate,
Your time is good for a stocker, the kms probably help. They're really freed up between to 70,000-180,000km. I took my stocker down to WSID last night and came away with a 13.73@103mph. I ended up getting pretty close to a perfect time for the car. 2.052 60' still included a little wheel spin off the mark and I notice it changes gear a tad before the line, it's a rubbery change too. I reckon if I can get it to hold the gear across the line and put stickier tyres to stop the small wheelspin, she's good for a 13.6 and that'd be it! Your time is especially good as your 60' foot time is a 10th slower than mine, you may even get it to a 13.5. I do have an air box, although the Gtec says it's minimally better than the stock unit, the Growl though is to die for! When are you going out again?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #56
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomXR8
Hello mate,
Your time is good for a stocker, the kms probably help. They're really freed up between to 70,000-180,000km. I took my stocker down to WSID last night and came away with a 13.73@103mph. I ended up getting pretty close to a perfect time for the car. 2.052 60' still included a little wheel spin off the mark and I notice it changes gear a tad before the line, it's a rubbery change too. I reckon if I can get it to hold the gear across the line and put stickier tyres to stop the small wheelspin, she's good for a 13.6 and that'd be it! Your time is especially good as your 60' foot time is a 10th slower than mine, you may even get it to a 13.5. I do have an air box, although the Gtec says it's minimally better than the stock unit, the Growl though is to die for! When are you going out again?
New car Craig, and not a bad time in its setup also well done mate.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #57
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
New car Craig, and not a bad time in its setup also well done mate.
Hmmm, got that bug again!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #58
hot460

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomXR8
Hmmm, got that bug again!
I have a cheap blower here for you buddy! Great time to mate. :
Old 04-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #59
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish I had the 6spd auto :
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post