Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Sioso
irregular member

Default Re: The scale of the universe

I don't think that should make us feel small or insignificant.
The observable requires an observer, we are intimately connected.
Without something or someone (us) to observe it, it wouldn't actually exist.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN.GTP View Post
I don't think that should make us feel small or insignificant.
The observable requires an observer, we are intimately connected.
Without something or someone (us) to observe it, it wouldn't actually exist.
thats wrong . it exists wether something sees it or not , the fact that we see it only proves it;s there to us .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #33
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
I think we can safely say, there are no 'Intelligent Species' within 40 light years of us.
Lets not get caught up with definitions of 'Intelligent'. Apes don't build radio telescopes. Dolphins do not build computers. Ants can't read printed word. I think we all know what we are talking about.
The Earth would stand out from the dark, very starkly by the our use of powerful radio transmissions. Most of these are in the form of radar, many megawatts of radar. For ocean and air traffic control, military uses, deep space radio astronomy and lately, watching out for errant asteroids. I can not think of any species of advanced aliens that could get by (remember, we are talking about life as we know it, iow, life we can communicate to), without something as simple, but as essential as radar, for managing the transport affairs of their planet. Please don't say smoke signals, to guide something like a jumbo jet to a safe landing.
With our present day equipment, we have carefully monitored all the stars out to a radius of about 200 ly (= hundreds) and no errant radio emmissions have been detected.
Silence lays over the deep.
in a sense you are right , unless we are 200 earth years ahead in technology than any species within 40 light years of us , and or / maybe 500 years from now we might not communicate how we do today , which gives a narrow window , however i know what your saying , but i wouldnt bet on a safe bet with this one .
Old 20-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
Destroyer XR8

I think if there is any other life form in the universe, chances are they'll find us first due to our inability to travel at the speed of light or even close to it, and explore further out, with our current technology were ristricted to how far we can go.
Tuned by Real Dyno Performance
270rwkw

Last edited by Destroyer XR8; 20-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Destroyer XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #35
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Check this out guys. For those that don't know the speed of light is 300,000 kilometers per second just to put this video in perspective.

http://youtu.be/8agz9FcDcPk
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Destroyer XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_pazz View Post
Check this out guys. For those that don't know the speed of light is 300,000 kilometers per second just to put this video in perspective.

Interesting video mate, just gives us a glimpse of the size of the universe, it was interesting to see the unmappped areas, it could go forever as far as we know. I have heard theory's about space only going for a so far and eventually ending up in the same spot again, but then again the question is, what is outside of that.
Tuned by Real Dyno Performance
270rwkw
Destroyer XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #37
gtfpv
GT

this one kind of scares you .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr7wNQw12l8
Old 20-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
this one kind of scares you .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr7wNQw12l8
So does this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VEs11K0ATk
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #39
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_pazz View Post

Excellent presentation. Carl Sagan would have been pleased.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #40
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer XR8 View Post
Interesting video mate, just gives us a glimpse of the size of the universe, it was interesting to see the unmappped areas, it could go forever as far as we know. I have heard theory's about space only going for a so far and eventually ending up in the same spot again, but then again the question is, what is outside of that.
Yes well there are lots of unanswered questions regarding our universe and especially what is beyond it. We also have to remember that the universe will actually be alot bigger than we can see as there has been 14 odd billion years of acceleration and the light we are actually seeing has taken that long to reach us we are essentially looking back in time each and every time one looks at the night sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya
Excellent presentation. Carl Sagan would have been pleased.
Yep, I imagine he would have been. You can actually download the software on your pc now and explore the mapped universe from the comfort of your home. It's most definitely the 21st century.
Old 21-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #41
Fpvboss335
Supercharged 335

Just read the bible guys
The answers are all written there
K&N air filter
Xforce exhaust with Kpm gutted cats
Nizpro stage 2 input shaft(2nd one)
Herrod tailshaft
Kpm stage 2 intercooler with Herrod pump
1000cc Injectors
Kpm Twin 1000hp fuel pump
Herrod crank pulley
Yella Terra snout
Herrod fuel filter
E85 tune

Kristy my wife has an R Spec gt 2012 white number 311
Rear mufflers deleted
K&N filter
Fpvboss335 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #42
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpvboss335 View Post
Just read the bible guys
I don't think the bible tries to offer us an intricate explanation of the inner workings of the universe, people like to over analyse it and treat it as if it is some kind of scientific explanation on all kinds of matter, which it certainly isn't.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #43
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Just read the bible guys
Here's an interpretation.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...hing-astronomy

Yeah, I laughed too.
Old 21-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #44
BF-2K7

Quote:
Just read the bible guys
I like reading a good fictional book ............... might try that one .....again!
BF-2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
just_pazz
Ford Convert

**** i thought he was being funny
Old 22-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #46
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Science is not the enemy of religion, but sometimes it appears religion is the enemy of science.
Fpvboss335, the very same science that enabled construction of the computer you are using, and the vast array of the internet, the optic fibre links, the satellites, is the very same science and technology that leads many people to conclude that the Universe is very (a big VERY) old.
I have, with my own eyes, observed galaxies through my telescope that are millions of light years from the Earth. IOW, the light has taken millions of years to get here, bounce of a parabolic mirror, get bent by lenses to a sharp focus and impact my retina, causing some cells there to fire off an electric current that travels into a region of my brain and becomes a part of my conciousness.
To deny that this light is millions of years old is akin to saying your computer runs by some kind of magic, because the science that makes one thing work, is not applicable to the other.
On a simpler note, the science that makes your car work, is the same science that interperates the goings on at the event horizons of blackholes. What explains one thing here on earth, can be used to explain the expansion of the Universe. Nothing is exclusive.
Look, I don't want to bring down a thread. I think God is more concerned with my condition. When Jesus walked the Earth (and I do accept that as a fact, as I do the things I see through a telescope), he taught us how to live. He didn't delve into quantum physics or string theory when explaining how we should treat each other and who God is.
Sorry if it got heavy there, but I can live comfortably with my beliefs.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #47
Fpvboss335
Supercharged 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Science is not the enemy of religion, but sometimes it appears religion is the enemy of science.
Fpvboss335, the very same science that enabled construction of the computer you are using, and the vast array of the internet, the optic fibre links, the satellites, is the very same science and technology that leads many people to conclude that the Universe is very (a big VERY) old.
I have, with my own eyes, observed galaxies through my telescope that are millions of light years from the Earth. IOW, the light has taken millions of years to get here, bounce of a parabolic mirror, get bent by lenses to a sharp focus and impact my retina, causing some cells there to fire off an electric current that travels into a region of my brain and becomes a part of my conciousness.
To deny that this light is millions of years old is akin to saying your computer runs by some kind of magic, because the science that makes one thing work, is not applicable to the other.
On a simpler note, the science that makes your car work, is the same science that interperates the goings on at the event horizons of blackholes. What explains one thing here on earth, can be used to explain the expansion of the Universe. Nothing is exclusive.
Look, I don't want to bring down a thread. I think God is more concerned with my condition. When Jesus walked the Earth (and I do accept that as a fact, as I do the things I see through a telescope), he taught us how to live. He didn't delve into quantum physics or string theory when explaining how we should treat each other and who God is.
Sorry if it got heavy there, but I can live comfortably with my beliefs.
I don't dispute what your saying
Like a computer needed a creator, also the universe needed a creator
K&N air filter
Xforce exhaust with Kpm gutted cats
Nizpro stage 2 input shaft(2nd one)
Herrod tailshaft
Kpm stage 2 intercooler with Herrod pump
1000cc Injectors
Kpm Twin 1000hp fuel pump
Herrod crank pulley
Yella Terra snout
Herrod fuel filter
E85 tune

Kristy my wife has an R Spec gt 2012 white number 311
Rear mufflers deleted
K&N filter
Fpvboss335 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #48
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I don't dispute what your saying
Like a computer needed a creator, also the universe needed a creator
That just starts a what created the creator debate.

I've seen better articles including the mechanics behind creating something from nothing but can't be bothered looking for it at this moment. Here's a succinct article on the subject.

http://www.space.com/16281-big-bang-...n-science.html

"In the very weird world of quantum mechanics, which describes action on a subatomic scale, random fluctuations can produce matter and energy out of nothingness. And this can lead to very big things indeed, researchers say."
Old 22-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #49
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

This thread was interesting, now it has degenerated to talk of faith based beliefs. That is perfect recipe for a thread closure.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #50
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Thought provoking often goes out the window as soon as faith is brought up. Shame because there were some interesting perspectives.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #51
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got told off by the director of all pleasurable pursuits this morning........I was shown my place in the universe and it's way smaller than you have measured here

I know because she told me so in no uncertain terms!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #52
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

inb4 lock

OT: I'm always fascinated by space and just the extreme size of the universe. It just blows my mind how tiny we as a race really are. At the same time, though, I am always amazed at the accomplishments that we achieve. Space walks, improvements in technology, cheating death (we used to have an average life span of only 25 years!). The human race is a vastly intelligent life form. Yes, even the ones we call stupid (snooki and niki minaj /shudder) are incredibly intelligent forms of life.
Old 22-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #53
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I got carried away. Wont happen again. Any discussion about the Universe merits input of all kinds. But bringing faith based beliefs into it is a bit like slamming the door.
Please dont lock the thread on my account. If I could edit my previous post, I would.
Old 22-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #54
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes me laugh, a couple of posts mention religion, everything is fine, then a select few start making noise. It's you people who get threads locked.

Religion is very relevant in how the universe was created. It's another theory that over a billion people on this planet believe. I may not be one of them, and I accept science as pure fact, but I'm not going to tell people who believe otherwise to be quiet. Mutual respect is a beautiful thing.

On topic, it boggles my mind on how small we really are. Those stars we see are already so old before their light reaches us, I find it impossible that there is no other life out there, and given the age of the universe, there are older galaxies than us which could support life, how much more advanced than us could they be?? Mind bending stuff which I love reading about!
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #55
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Makes me laugh, a couple of posts mention religion, everything is fine, then a select few start making noise. It's you people who get threads locked.

Religion is very relevant in how the universe was created. It's another theory that over a billion people on this planet believe. I may not be one of them, and I accept science as pure fact, but I'm not going to tell people who believe otherwise to be quiet. Mutual respect is a beautiful thing.
The thing is though, there are no other theories to go with Creationism other than this one dude with a big white beard and white long wavy hair created everything. The end.
Old 22-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #56
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
On topic, it boggles my mind on how small we really are. Those stars we see are already so old before their light reaches us, I find it impossible that there is no other life out there, and given the age of the universe, there are older galaxies than us which could support life, how much more advanced than us could they be?? Mind bending stuff which I love reading about!
There's a decent chance that there have been countless civilisations that have already come and gone. We've had a couple of impact caused extinction events in our planets history that life recovered from but there are numerous ways for life on this planet to end - without us being the cause - that we have absolutely no control over or power to stop.

There's a star in the constellation of Orion called Betelgeuse that is likely approaching supernova and it's ~600 light years away. Would be catastrophic to anything in the vicinity and when it does go supernova, it'll be visible in the day time sky and likely brighter than the moon in the night sky. That immense release of energy is just unfathomable to me.
Old 22-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #57
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

1000 times the diameter of our own Star. Unbelievable. Just blows me away everytime I think about it.
Old 22-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin' View Post
The requirements for life would be very difficult to replicate on another planet orbiting another star. That perfect distance away from the sun that we are, among other things, means we have the ability to support life. As many planets as there are I'm sure, I doubt that there is another with that perfect balance that we have.

That only because we view life as we live it, there could be other humaniod species that don't require what "earthlings" need to sustain life.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #59
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Makes me laugh, a couple of posts mention religion, everything is fine, then a select few start making noise.

Forum rules state >

Quote:
In short, the following things are not permitted:

1. Posts about or containing references to: religion, race, politics, sensitive or controversial subjects except at the discretion of the admin team.
I'd love to share my opinions on a few things here, mainly religion and politics, but that goes against the forum policy. So to avoid a seemingly interesting thread spiralling into a black hole, isn't it better to get on the front foot and focus thread towards its intended purpose?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #60
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god's explaination of the universe

"poof it was created"

Has anybody thought "god" was working for a higher being?, it would take you 13.5 billion years at the speed of light(the fastest speed achievable) to reach the end and has more stars than a beach has grains of sand.

Surely one god cannot do that alone and we are definately not alone.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post