Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #31
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
on the other hand the Audi is 20k more expensive so apples for apples , i`d say its pretty fair.
Yes, the V8 is 20k more, the boosted V6 is 10k cheaper than the V8.

So now, the gap is only 10k.

And to the buyers of these cars, the badge creed along with (and I'm assuming here) the better build quality, better electronic aides / gadgetry, better safety features and better handling dynamics will tip most buyers to the Audi.

Put those 2 V6 cars side by side, list the specifications and say the Audi is only 10k more. Where do you really think the line of cheque books will be?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if the line of cheque books want to spend 10 grand less they`ll be at ford ;)
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #33
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Taurus SHO is great.... but it aint the best car in Fords line up. According to Mulally anyway.
Old 14-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is? I think Mulally has done a fantastic job. Most people would say "change the Taurus name," "get rid of the PowerStroke name" because the new ones do put the old models to shame, but he had the audacity to keep them, and not only that - pitching the Taurus against the Audi. Now that is bold. So what's his fav car?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #35
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Impressive, most impressive.

Not a bad looker either.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #36
Chopped
as in chopped

It beats the SRT-8, THAT is more impressive than the A6>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8eqaEGmQgk

But the G37 (NA/V6) gives the SHO some trouble>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuri5zIqbTw

I'd still rather Ford Aus's product.
Old 14-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Could Taurus be marketed as a Fairlane replacement, something to re vitalize the large luxury segment?
I know we have G Series cars already but if FoA could get their hands on either the high series Taurus
or even better, the Lincoln MKS, maybe we could have a "Fairlane" without the development costs....

I believe that Falcon and Taurus or MKS can co exist.
Even though they overlap in some areas, they are both
different enough to attract completely different buyers...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #38
MexicanBatman
Banned

thats not an srt-8 thats an awd 300c, and these sho's are still just a 14 second car (so is an aurion)

lol

when one of these reels off a 12.8 like a G6E can do i'll be slightly impressed

when one of these hands a FG F6 its behind, i'll look closer

but untill then V6 = gay

you cant beat an inline 6

sure GTR is now a V6 but i still much prefer the inlines from the JZ's RB's barras and even the beemers, never liked V6's even though i had a 300kw s/c'd 3.5L V6

engines aside, i'd still not buy an american sedan, they all look like ****, maybe they should look at a euro when designing a car ( i dont even like mb bm etc...) but seriously... yuk, it looks like sheet!

Last edited by andrewg6e; 14-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
thats not an srt-8 thats an awd 300c, and these sho's are still just a 14 second car (so is an aurion)
SHO set up is very soft.
You watch the yanks go to town on mods for the engine,
a simple tune and exhaust is already netting 12.7s at the drag strip...
Old 14-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #40
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:

lol

when one of these reels off a 12.8 like a G6E can do i'll be slightly impressed

when one of these hands a FG F6 its behind, i'll look closer

but untill then V6 = gay

you cant beat an inline 6

sure GTR is now a V6 but i still much prefer the inlines from the JZ's RB's barras and even the beemers, never liked V6's even though i had a 300kw s/c'd 3.5L V6

engines aside, i'd still not buy an american sedan, they all look like ****, maybe they should look at a euro when designing a car ( i dont even like mb bm etc...) but seriously... yuk, it looks like sheet!
Yes on looking again it's not an SRT-8 (as the title says), I take it back.
Still not impressed.

This SHO Taurus is already beaten by our own products.
(I also see Camry in the design)

Long Live The home grown Falcon.
Old 14-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
This SHO Taurus is already beaten by our own products.
(I also see Camry in the design)
Yes, the AWD does nothing on wet slippery roads, we don't get many of them in Australia....
Not meaning to defend Taurus here, it's just a car designed for a completely different market.
And it's right that you should see some Camry there, Toyota sells about 40,000 a month there in good times...
Old 14-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #42
capri280
Starter Motor

that has got to be one of the uglyiest rear ends of the decade
capri280 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #43
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Yes, the AWD does nothing on wet slippery roads, we don't get many of them in Australia....
Not meaning to defend Taurus here, it's just a car designed for a completely different market.
And it's right that you should see some Camry there, Toyota sells about 40,000 a month there in good times...
AWD is more about marketing/sales than everyday driving. It has real benefits YES, but how many ACTUALLY use them ?

I agree that the Taurus would fail if sold here again in our market.

I would've copied the European marques for the design if I wanted inspiration, not that Camry.

Aus Falcon is better.
Old 14-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AWD is more about marketing/sales than everyday driving. It has real benefits YES, but how many ACTUALLY use them ?

I agree that the Taurus would fail if sold here again in our market.

I would've copied the European marques for the design if I wanted inspiration, not that Camry.

Aus Falcon is better.
Yes. The Americans only look to their immediate competitors...

Big failing with US D3 platform is that the Americans wanted maximum parts carry over between the SUV and the sedan so they used the floor pan for the SUv in the sedan which gives the Taurus a much higher almost cartoonish proportion compared to regular sedans.

I'm certain that the Americans can build themselves a great FWD/AWD sedan but this one comes with too many constraints and is joined at the hip to Escape..
Imagine of our Falcon used the Territory's floor pan and you'll begin to see the problem...

Now, a Taurus based on the next Fusion/Mondeo platform may be a completely different thing...

For me Ford Australia has demonstrated that a reliable and fuel efficient RWD sedan can be
developed on a shoe string budget, it's time for head office to allow FoA access to other
higher series technology that Jaguar uses on the DEW platform...like all alloy construction....
Old 14-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #45
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But in the snow, RWD sucks, and AWD is a dream come true. In Australia, I agree it is unnecessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Yes. The Americans only look to their immediate competitors...
I swear, Audi is German!
Old 14-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
But in the snow, RWD sucks, and AWD is a dream come true. In Australia, I agree it is unnecessary.
I swear, Audi is German!
Audi isn't a major competitor (if at all) to Ford.

They bench mark Taurus against Audi's performance and appointments
but then looked at Toyota and how their styling had been successful in the USA.
Old 14-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #47
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Do these 'tuned' cars still pass emissions requirements? I think not!
You have missed the point as to why i mentioned the part about tuning. The post i was quoting from Chevypower mentioned the Taurus engine was undertuned, hinting that it had more potential. I was simply highlighting that the I6T has unstated potential too. Ring one of the tuners, and you will be surprised what can be achieved and still pass emissions requirements.

The context of that part of the discussion was about aftermarket.
Old 15-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #48
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh everything can be tuned for higher performance, especially anything with a turbo. But with the transverse layout in the Flex and Taurus, the transmission has a lower torque rating than what you can get in a rwd setup, so the EcoBoost really is detuned so as to not exceed that rating. Word is that F150 will get 400hp (300kw)/400lb-ft(540Nm) with the same engine. Now F150s tend not to be tuned too high either. The 4.6 and new 5.0 have more power in the Mustang than in the truck. That's because in a truck, you need the engines to be less stressed, it has tougher jobs to do. But the powertrain can handle it. So what is the real potential of the 3.5 EB? Who knows? But it is certainly not where it is now, and that Flex EB felt lighning fast when I drove it. Not even a hint of turbo lag, and you can notice incredible low end torque. I wonder if SVT or FPV was tinkering around with that engine...what kind of power and torque they would be getting out of it. I really think if it was in the Stang or FPV Falc, you would see a significantly higher figure, and still meeting all the emissions requirements, not losing any driveability and offering longevity. So, the perfomance places would take it up from there. If it still wasn't enough, they could use ethanol injection and increase the size of the engine.

Last edited by chevypower; 15-05-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 15-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #49
MexicanBatman
Banned

And if the barra ever recieved direct injection and sequential turbos and flux capacitor it'd be a factory 400kw machine with 650nm torque and meet euro 4 with eze. Haa probably could do all of the above now but they hold it back so the little old V8 still feels like a man. The fg has come so far from the xrt of old to the point that the FG n/a 6 is as quick as a BA xrt was when new and stock. And American cars are still ugly like a hippos wrinkly **** and made from cheaper plastic than a Chinese frisbee
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #50
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the Americans build cars in Australia too
Actually Ford has said DI makes very little difference on its own. Something like 2% increase.
Old 15-05-2010, 04:13 AM   #51
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The fg has come so far
I think every car maker has really done much better in improving quality and competitiveness. Even Hyundai with the new Genesis sedan, coupe and Sonata look very well built compared to older models. The new Taurus is not even close to the same car that the old one was, though the old models last forever, there was just nothing special about them. European cars also the same, I thought the 90s models lacked in quality, especially in regards to the paint.
Old 15-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sweet spots for Ford NA is now F Truck, CUV/SUV utility vehicles, Fusion and Focus.

I often wonder about aligning products with competitors and whether Ford would be better off
offering more in- betweeners like Falcon but in different sizes to break up a bit of that cross shopping,
something like a RWD between Focus and Mondeo/Fusion......
Old 16-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
And the Americans build cars in Australia too
Actually Ford has said DI makes very little difference on its own. Something like 2% increase.

I think that was for N/A motors. D.I was more beneficial for Turbo's.