Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den76
These camera car operators do cop a fair amount of abuse everyday day in day out and at times just want to be left alone to do there job and go home to there families,
But. At the end of the day nobody said they HAD to be a camera operator. Kind've like parking officers/rangers, they applied for the job, no one made them take it or says they have to stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den76
although most people think that this is not a job they are getting paid for doing what normal police would be doing so there effectively freeing up police time for other incidents
Someone's been reading the Govt propaganda sheets. The bean counters work out how much it costs for a Police officer to work a camera and then asks for tenders. Thereby cutting down on how much it costs to run that states Police Force.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #32
WMD351
Size it up

Yes they can take photos manually and here in Victoria they will photograph you for no seat belt. When on a hill the amount of leeway they must provide changes.
After a few nasty rage incidents in recent years in Vic they are all supposed to have a panic button in their cars, their word against yours could turn nasty if Mr Plod shows up.
For the record, I've also got a photo that proves you can get done on the other side of the road traveling towards them.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #33
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
For the record, I've also got a photo that proves you can get done on the other side of the road traveling towards them.
Same here from 2002. 64km/h in a 60km/h zone in clear weather and light traffic. Now the funny thing is had I done the exact same thing only 1 month earlier, there would have been no fine. This was when they just removed the 10% tolerance. Go figure.

The cars are big contributors to emissions as well as they leave them running when pinging people.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)

Last edited by Bobman; 12-10-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #34
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Best one I like, is that bloody Monash Freeway. Perfect for this scenario too.

Outbound, just after the Princess HWY bridge (overpass/underpass), there is the railway line bridge.
An operator would be perfectly parked facing on a downhill slope that is marked as 100kph.

The thing is, this repeat offender, seems to create 10km's of traffic, simply because people basically stop from 100kph at his car....

The rule was something like it couldn't be parked facing downhill, where your foot was off the throttle and the vehicle kept it's speed. But that may have changed by now??
Naturally, from the top of the hill, my vehicle retains most of it's speed down this hill.

How does this offender get away with it, not only is it illegal, but he creates a traffic hazard.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #35
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
He then went on to explain (very calmly and professionally might I add) that every hour or so they need to recalibrate the thing to ensure accuracy etc.

Not sure if it was all bollocks or not, as with many things like speed cameras, the hoon list etc, I think it's a case of 'what happens in the force, stays in the force' .
in QLD they are required to do calibration shots (basically comparing hand held LIDAR gun readings against the camera system) every hour

as for the "hoon" list, your registration can be recorded as a VOI - vehicle of interest..... if you're listed as a VOI, life suddenly becomes hell.....
Old 13-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #36
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite simply if you dont put in a formal complaint against that speed camera operator your a schmuck, I do not tollerate abuse from family or friends so I would certainly not cop it from a public servant being paid by taxpayers money.

PS, if I won the lottery I would hire a fleet of trucks to travel around and park right in front of speed camera cars, haha.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Without exception I roll down the window and give them the one fingered salute. Cant stand the useless peices of *****

On a recent occassion I was flashing my lights to fellow motorists to warn of a spped camera who had reversed himself in behind a gaurd rail to hide his car completely (except for those in 4wd who could see his roof) and in a line of cars waiting to turn facing me was a police car. He started flashing his lights at me, to which I politely flashed back and we had a good old conversation via morse code. He seemed peeved that I had so much to say but as I pointed out as I went by with the window down its a free world except the small parts controlled by the Vic government, to which he had no reply.
Hehe I do a similar thing, but usually a wave, toot of the horn or a flash of the lights if i can see them oncoming. Missus hates it..LOL

Bet ya they are on $45k for sitting on their backsides.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #38
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
in QLD they are required to do calibration shots (basically comparing hand held LIDAR gun readings against the camera system) every hour

as for the "hoon" list, your registration can be recorded as a VOI - vehicle of interest..... if you're listed as a VOI, life suddenly becomes hell.....

Ah thanks for shedding some light on that Interceptor

Always wondered if there really was such a 'hoon' list. VOI makes far more sense.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #39
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I have had it occur on a number of occasions. They don't like it when you sneak up behind them at night (dark, no traffic, very slowly), then blatt your horn when you get to their van...hahaha. Scares the tripe out of them. I also like to park right in front of them in a legal spot. I have been threatened with obstructing police business, to which I happily replied "game on". Bullying by police looks really good on ACA. The final low act is when they are hidden in a bush on a regular basis is to drag a stinking huge dead wallaby next to their parking spot. They don't hang around long after that.
Hahaha .. I love that dead wallaby trick . . it is GOLD lol.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #40
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Quite simply if you dont put in a formal complaint against that speed camera operator your a schmuck,
I did consider doing this after taking my photos, but then realised when I got home that I could not read the registration of the car in question, as I had the res down too low on my phone at the time.

It is quite bizarre though, because in theory
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageShmuck
"Honest your worship! All of a sudden this guy in a fluro vest jumps out of this silver VE Holden SportsHatch all on it's own on a nature strip on a hill and starts abusing me...what, really? That was an umarked mobile road safety camera? They ARE well disguised, aren't they, your worship!"
Also as mentioned in my OP, I was a fair distance from the car, never approached the car or him, and said no more than what is quoted.
We always hear stories of drivers abusing them, how about the other way around...
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
coolozzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #41
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

i was told this by a camera van officer (qld)
the camera can be set of manually but have to be recorded with reason for test
to test:-
the flash
speed sensor is correct( with laser gun)
camera is operational

i had a good chat to one officer about the van and most cameras are set to 10kms over the speed

i would be complaining about the the camera operator and showing them the pics

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw my first mobile speed camera car today. Should of flipped them off or done something. I had a bike rack plate number on and I don't think they would of been able to take a photo of it from their angle.

Revenue raising ******** it is. They should sell those cars, fire the "operators" and then invest that money into actually making roads safer.
But they can't make money that way so that will not happen.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post