Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #31
rick'o
Car Slut

......or do as a country fella told me:

mix a plate of milk with plaster of paris
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #32
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Any chance of you posting piccies up of your traps. They sound very similar to the ones I use, but unfortunately I still don't know how to post piccies on this forum to compare
hey mate,
have a look at this thread on how to post pictures
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20569
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #33
SKITZD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
I keep snakes, maybe I could lend you one..LOL
Yeah good plan. Snake eats Mouse, then all youve got is a snake infestation lol.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #34
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds89
could be worse,could be a dirty great huntsman spider running across ya dash heading for your side while you are in traffic.
Slightly OT, but if you were driving between North Sydney and Bexley (along the Sydney Harbour Bridge, down George St and from there the fastest possible route south...) one evening in late 2001 and saw a black ZK Fairlane being driven at speed in a random and downright dangeous fashion, possibly at you or the car next to you, I apologise unreservedly. There was a huntsman the size of a Clevo scurrying around the OUTSIDE of my car harassing me in the way that only a mahoosive man-eating spider can. Had it been inside I'd have certainly tested out the crash barriers on the old coathanger and probably wouldn't be here now...

As for the rodent, I'd be leaving the doors open and setting the trap outside the car. +1 for Nutella.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #35
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep cats away from mouse traps they get quite upset when they get a paw snapped in the trap @ 3 am followed by yours truly getting very upset @ 3.05 am... catching a frantic cat with a trap on its foot that is moving at ballistic speeds @ 3 am is about as fun as constipation...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #36
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive tryed super gluing a dog busicut to the mouse trap and the bugger has ate it off with the trap set on trigger hair!!!! I got a mortein trap that springs shut and as it dose it kills the mouse some how, but it hasnt gone near it. I swear If its still alive by the weekend I may name it!!!!! At least 1 things is for sure its garnteed a feed every night! I will try everything every1 has said [Execpt for burrning the car] :togo:
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #37
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxine
Ha ha! Welcome to the wonderful world of the AFF, LOL!

MM
Haha, there's def some great info in here. I'll have to refer back to it if a mouse ever decides to make a home out my XR6.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #38
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They sound very similar to the ones I use,
are they two halves of plastic with a wrap around spring? thats the ones i use. peanut butter is good as they have to lick it off (pressure on the trigger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Just dont leave it any food, it wont stay if it will starve
you forget they eat wire, upholstery and anything else?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #39
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

I've got a slightly bigger problem at my place (than mice) -- CATS, how do you get rid of them?!?! On the of them went into my shed a knocked XA brown manual console and XT GT dash off a shelf and broke them both :-( Any tricks on how to catch them??

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #40
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Local councils or the RSCPA hire out cat traps for a small fee per day. Once the cat has been caught, give them a ring and they take care of the rest.

On the subject of the mouse traps. XR6AUS (thank you very much) has kindly offered to post the picture up for me, so we'll wait for that to occur.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #41
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha - mice, uploading pictures now cats. This thread just seems to be getting better.
Sorry to a be bit off topic, but my problem is a little bit bigger - my brother continually turns up, rummages through the pantry, drinks my beer and then leaves.

Any suggestions in curbing this pest?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #42
chrisfpv

Here is the picture svo supporter is talking about, per this quote:
Quote:
I don't have the mouse problem in the car, however in the house, they're a pain in the rectum.

Anyways, the misses has bought a new mouse trap on the market. It's called "The safe and sure mousetrap". Hard to describe the look and not knowing how to post piccies on here, it makes things difficult.

If someone can guide me on piccie posting, I'll take one of it and post it up.

There's no chance of catching the fingers by setting it, due to its design and I haven't failed to catch one yet with it.
These can be purchased at coles from what svo supporter has said.

Taking a stab at how this works, do you put something like peanut butter, cheese etc on the flat part and then the top slams shut if the mouse starts to eat it? Looks interesting.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #43
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Ha - mice, uploading pictures now cats. This thread just seems to be getting better.
Sorry to a be bit off topic, but my problem is a little bit bigger - my brother continually turns up, rummages through the pantry, drinks my beer and then leaves.

Any suggestions in curbing this pest?

Either some Big Mother F#*king padlocks, 4X2 or don't open the door to him

Oh and thanks XR6AUS for posting the piccies up for me. Much appreciated

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #44
silicon

[QUOTE=XR6AUS]
QUOTE]
I have a few of these. They are great as as the trigger flap is so big they always put a foot on it. I just use a little peanut butter smeared in the middle. They never get to eat more than a mouthful or two at most.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #45
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds89
could be worse,could be a dirty great huntsman spider running across ya dash heading for your side while you are in traffic.As for the mouse we had one at home and he liked mint chocolate.
Or in the sunvisor when you flip it down :togo:

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #46
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
Slightly OT, but if you were driving between North Sydney and Bexley (along the Sydney Harbour Bridge, down George St and from there the fastest possible route south...) one evening in late 2001 and saw a black ZK Fairlane being driven at speed in a random and downright dangeous fashion, possibly at you or the car next to you, I apologise unreservedly. There was a huntsman the size of a Clevo scurrying around the OUTSIDE of my car harassing me in the way that only a mahoosive man-eating spider can. Had it been inside I'd have certainly tested out the crash barriers on the old coathanger and probably wouldn't be here now...

As for the rodent, I'd be leaving the doors open and setting the trap outside the car. +1 for Nutella.

yep had one of these to, about the size of my hand run across the wind screen and then disapear so i forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I felt something running up my leg, by the time I could look it was sitting in my lap looking at me, first thing I did was lock the brakes on the old navara, then jump out and do the spider dance(must hve looked funny as to passers by). As soon as it hit the ground it was off, crossed 4 lanes of traffic and dissapeared into the swamp across the road. the navara copped a bug bomb as soon as I got home after that experience.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #47
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Here is the picture svo supporter is talking about, per this quote:

These can be purchased at coles from what svo supporter has said.

Taking a stab at how this works, do you put something like peanut butter, cheese etc on the flat part and then the top slams shut if the mouse starts to eat it? Looks interesting.
I will get one of those traps, i swear ive spent near $50 on all differen sorts of traps in the last week!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #48
BOSHOG
avenge me

traps are useless. i chase rodents for a living, glue boards baited with beanut butter wins every time
Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #49
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
traps are useless. i chase rodents for a living, glue boards baited with beanut butter wins every time
To be honest I'm starting to figure that!!!!! What sort of glue? as I'm getting desprit here! :
Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #50
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr82nv
yep had one of these to, about the size of my hand run across the wind screen and then disapear so i forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I felt something running up my leg, by the time I could look it was sitting in my lap looking at me, first thing I did was lock the brakes on the old navara, then jump out and do the spider dance(must hve looked funny as to passers by). As soon as it hit the ground it was off, crossed 4 lanes of traffic and dissapeared into the swamp across the road. the navara copped a bug bomb as soon as I got home after that experience.
Haha hands wiggling all over your body, legs jumping like you're running on the spot. I saw someone get out of there car at work today and do this, I was laughing so hard I almost cried.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #51
cool65
carefactor zero

Well don't use tarzan grip. That's only good for catching elephants, and if you have an elephant in the lane, you better firstly do what it wants and secondly get a new set of springs
Old 04-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #52
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat58
go to the 2 dollar shop or bonkers if you got em in your town and get the sticky mouse traps.put some peanut butter in the middle and you will get him. my best is 5 at once they get stuck on them.they weren't in my car of course
Aren't these traps supposed to be illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxine
Just a bit of advice - if you choose to use a sticky trap, you will have to kill the mouse, as you will NEVER get it off the trap without it being covered in adhesive. These traps are NOT humane if you set it and forget it - the poor buggers die of thirst or starvation or stress or a combo of all three.
These traps aren't even humane at all. Mice are panicky creatures, so they'll shred themselves to pieces trying to get off. So often you'll encounter a mouse that had half its skin pulled off or a limb twisted and broken (sometimes even gnawed off). Then there is a problem that they are just "left" on there for long periods of time... some people throw them out into the garbage still alive, while it is in great pain and half drowned in its own urine. That's a death no animal ever deserves really.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

Last edited by GavinB; 04-02-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #53
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
Glue boards are terrible. The RSPCA condemn them, and some states have actually banned them. They also encourage disease because frightened animals tend to urinate and excrete a lot, so that will build up. More messier than a snap trap really. And since they are alive, they could still escape it.

I am surprised they are still legal in QLD. Point is, there are better ways to go about getting rid of these animals without having to torture them - quick-killing lethal traps are always best. Causing pointless suffering is quite pathetic, and that's what glue traps do 100% of the time (the only exception is if you regularly monitor the trap and humanely kill the animal, but how often does that happen?)

Last edited by GavinB; 04-02-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #54
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Sounds horrible, they should be banned everywhere immediately. The people using those must have no feelings whatsoever IMO.

Those plastic traps shown earlier work well from my experience, using peanut butter.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #55
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Just be careful he's not a Nolan's Cheddar mouse!...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqlQS5CCmwI
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #56
left
Lady Leadfoot

Thumbs up to GavinB. Fair enough to get rid of the little guy but it doesn't take much to be humane about it. Some of the suggestions here have been making my stomach churn.

OP I still reckon you should keep him and give him a name, it seems like he is enjoying your company

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #57
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I know I'll cop flack for this comments, but here goes anyway. Who really cares how "inhumane" these glue raps are. As long as you catch the mouse.

Has anyone seen what a mouse can do to a wiring loom in a car or a house? Personally, I'd prefer the mouse to suffer, rather than have one of them chew wiring in a car or my home and me end up either in intensive care or dead from burns.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #58
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
I know I'll cop flack for this comments, but here goes anyway. Who really cares how "inhumane" these glue raps are. As long as you catch the mouse.
I suppose I care because I actually have a conscience and respect that fact that they're animals that can feel pain. You can still catch the mouse anyway, without being too inhumane about it.

What do you gain by making it suffer? What is the point?

Quote:
Personally, I'd prefer the mouse to suffer, rather than have one of them chew wiring in a car or my home and me end up either in intensive care or dead from burns.
That's pretty simplistic. The mouse has no intention to hurt you, or cause you to suffer - and yet, you have the intent to? It's like you're saying here "either make it suffer or die"... uhh, that doesn't make too much sense considering you don't need to do that to solve the problem.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #59
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:

Has anyone seen what a mouse can do to a wiring loom in a car or a house? Personally, I'd prefer the mouse to suffer, rather than have one of them chew wiring in a car or my home and me end up either in intensive care or dead from burns.
im with you mate, its a mouse FFS! some people care more about these disease bags than they do about their own health and safety. the damage they do to wiring alone can cause house fires, let alone the diseases they spread.

ive tried all different things to catch mice and nothing works like a glue board, so ill continue using them

Last edited by BOSHOG; 04-02-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #60
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
im with you mate, its a mouse FFS! some people care more about these disease bags than they do about their own health and safety. the damage they do to wiring alone can cause house fires, let alone the diseases they spread.
Thing is, no one is saying they care more about mice then their health. And quite frankly, that is a strawman argument. You've given reasons why we need to get rid of them, yeah, but no one is arguing that. But that's not the point.

Heck, some of the stuff we've done as a species is comparatively a lot worse... but does that mean we should torture each other? Just saying, no need to be a jerk about things.
Closed Thread