Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #31
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Not from factory Kezzer. Aftermarket companies make them.

Good to hear that FPV have managed to get ahead in sales for whatever the reasons. Hopefully they do not rest on their lorals and keep up the good work and make the sales.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #32
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
No.
Holden have created a brand image that is 'Australian'.
Last year when I used to wear my Geelong members cap (which had a Ford logo on it), people used to give me a hard time, because "Fords suck", and Holden is "Australian".
Holden have marketing their product brilliantly, and people are willing to believe what they are told, and what they want to believe.
Spot on. The old Ford ads were much better at evoking emotions of nationalism and Aussie pride.

FPV ads are MUCH better
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #33
andrich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As someone touched on its all about marketing, and simply Holden is better at it. I like most people know that from a product point of view the BA was better then the VY, the BF was better then the VZ and equal in many area's to the VE, and the FG is superior to the VE, but all this didnt transfer into better sales...the key is the marketing and the image that holdens/commordores are better
andrich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #34
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I'm very surprised about this. With the F6 being the only exception, HSV have it all over the rest of the FPV range which in my opinion don't seem to be as special for the $$ as once expected or HSV. If it is true well done FPV.
Well the buyers don't seem to agree with that assessment, as the V8 FPVs easily trump F6s in sales.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #35
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
i think ford sales were crap because fords cars are always uglier then the holdens, maybe now they are better because the FG has copied the VE in design, which is a good thing, as the VE
That is by far the stupidest thing ever written on this forum. There are some idiotic things written day in day out, but that takes the cake.

Congratulations!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #36
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Well the buyers don't seem to agree with that assessment, as the V8 FPVs easily trump F6s in sales.
Some people like having less grunt and using more fuel..... And the bulge to make up for their deficiencies :-)
Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #37
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Popularity doesn't always mean better.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #38
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
That is most interesting. It could possibly explain the extreme discounting that seems to abound in the lion tents.
Extreme discounting?

Before I bought my GT-P, I thought I'd check out a GTS... spec'd up pretty much the same (as far as possible, the one difference being the GTS had a sunroof option), the Holden dealer wanted ~$12,000 more than what I paid for the GT-P and that's for a car that, IMHO, wasn't as good as the GT-P.

$12,000! :
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #39
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i think ford sales were crap because fords cars are always uglier then the holdens, maybe now they are better because the FG has copied the VE in design, which is a good thing, as the VE

i'm just totally speechless by this comment.. :S

on topic tho.. could fords recent domination in the V8 Supercars have affected sales in both camps?.. maybe links to racing still hold true to some fans and they figure the Ford must be the better car

haven't ford won every championship race thus far bar one?
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #40
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are so many things wrong with that statement I could write a book. :
FG copied VE?
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #41
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrich
As someone touched on its all about marketing, and simply Holden is better at it. I like most people know that from a product point of view the BA was better then the VY, the BF was better then the VZ and equal in many area's to the VE, and the FG is superior to the VE, but all this didnt transfer into better sales...the key is the marketing and the image that holdens/commordores are better
People pull up the guy who said the FG copied the VE (they did abit lol) , but not this guy?

I know this is a ford forum, but it all comes down to personell preference. No need to be a cyclops about it.

Have you owned a VY, VZ, VE, BA, BF and FG? Did you do back to back tests on drivability, handling, performance etc? In both the 6's and 8's it really comes down to what you like more.

Both camps make good cars.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #42
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
There are so many things wrong with that statement I could write a book. :
FG copied VE?
Although the truth is that the VE is the first attractive commodore since the VL (IMHO) So holden lovers should be proud of it. It still fails in an area that Ford have usually nailed - consistent design from front to rear. The rear patch lights (10 year old Mondeo), dont work well in this decade. and the front lights are sooooo BA. And those flared guards look like a cheap hooker's false eyelashes.

The incongruity in design carries over to the hsv, but they fixed two out of the three issues.

I think the cosmetic difference in FPV vss hsv comes down to taste.

FPV: a tough gentleman - James Bond
HSV: A teenager on steroids - The incredible Hulk

I think that the Gentleman will sell better in the current market, will it continue to top the teenager ... probably only in the short term - but lets hope !

Last edited by EgoFG; 02-06-2009 at 12:24 PM.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #43
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best looking Commodore before VE? VT Calais. VE's (the upmarket models at least) are good-looking despite the overdone arches. But FG uglier?? Personal taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Although the truth is that the VE is the first attractive commodore since the VL (IMHO) So holden lovers should be proud of it. It still fails in an area that Ford have usually nailed - consistent design from front to rear. The rear patch lights (10 year old Mondeo), dont work well in this decade. and the front lights are sooooo BA. And those flared guards look like a cheap hooker's false eyelashes.

The incongruity in design carries over to the hsv, but they fixed two out of the three issues.

I think the cosmetic difference in FPV vss hsv comes down to taste.

FPV: a tough gentleman - James Bond
HSV: A teenager on steroids - The incredible Hulk

I think that the Gentleman will sell better in the current market, will it continue to top the teenager ... probably only in the short term - but lets hope !
I agree with that. I pick my G6ET up in a week. That is a classy car with a heart with serious mumbo.

The arguments about who copied who could go on forever. Both makes have introduced new tech/features into OZ built cars. Some could say FG copied VE euro-style pull door handles, yet the Territory had them first. The basic outer shape of VE headlights almost straight from a BA. Falcon has followed Commodore on space-saver spares, etc, etc, it just keeps going on.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #44
andrich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
People pull up the guy who said the FG copied the VE (they did abit lol) , but not this guy?

I know this is a ford forum, but it all comes down to personell preference. No need to be a cyclops about it.

Have you owned a VY, VZ, VE, BA, BF and FG? Did you do back to back tests on drivability, handling, performance etc? In both the 6's and 8's it really comes down to what you like more.

Both camps make good cars.
Yes this is a ford forum, and yes it does come down to personal taste in the end, but as far as owning and driving these cars and doing back to back tests, iv driven or physically sat in all of them and have read every single car report since the begginning of the BA on each of these cars and i can tell you now more then 90% of them concluded that in terms of driving,ride quality, handling, performance (especially in the 6's where the ford engine is miles ahead of the commodore 6), interior presentation etc the ford came out on top.
I never said holden didnt make a good car because they do, but simply from a product point of view the ford was a better general product, and many experts agree,
but in the end it doesnt come down to this it's what people perceive and what they like personally

Last edited by andrich; 02-06-2009 at 06:44 PM.
andrich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #45
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
Ford will always have better resale than HSV you take a massive loss with team red but it amazes me that the FPV is in many ways superior to a HSV that HSV do so well in the sales race. Bogan Factor maybe?
There just seems to be somthing about the roaring Fordies that makes them stand out... in comparison to a Holden....it is hard to explain.

My own personal experience with the roaring Fordies, was when I was 15 years of age back in 1971.
My Father and myself where en route to Adelaide from Sydney, and taking a look at Canberra on the way back, in my Fathers XK Falcon.

We stopped at a motel in Canberra, and I was standing out side our motel room in the early evening as the light was begining to fade...when I first heard that subdued roar, in the distance.

The next thing I know the car parking space of the Motel Room next to us was filled by a Track Red GTHO PHASE III, driven by a man in his mid to late 20s, accompanied by a very good looking young Woman wearing a mini Skirt.

I do not know about anybody else but my first encounter with the Roaring Fordy, became like an incurable disease, for this at the time, impressionable teenager. (what an era that was to grow up in)

Cheers all
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #46
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
That is by far the stupidest thing ever written on this forum. There are some idiotic things written day in day out, but that takes the cake.

Congratulations!
+1

We vistied the Discovery centre in Geelong, they showed us the clay model of the BA GT. They told us that the BA was signed off as the AU1 was released onto the market. I imagine the FG was already signed off once the BA went on sale. So years before the VE went on sale. No idea how he came to that conclusion.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #47
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Still no figures after ~50 posts? Perhaps we will know more when the Vfacts figures are released soon.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #48
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
True. It appears most appreciate the character of a smooth, powerful, refined V8, in a package that makes the VE look very dated.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #49
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrich
Yes this is a ford forum, and yes it does come down to personal taste in the end, but as far as owning and driving these cars and doing back to back tests, iv driven or physically sat in all of them and have read every single car report since the begginning of the BA on each of these cars and i can tell you now more then 90% of them concluded that in terms of driving,ride quality, handling, performance (especially in the 6's where the ford engine is miles ahead of the commodore 6), interior presentation etc the ford came out on top.
I never said holden didnt make a good car because they do, but simply from a product point of view the ford was a better general product, and many experts agree,
but in the end it doesnt come down to this it's what people perceive and what they like personally
Well thats your opinion, I personelly think the holden 6 has alot of potential.

Holden just the sv6s by giving them a air intake lol.

Im looking at a 2nd hand VE right now, the guy wanted to much for the FG xr6 (3 months old) if anyone knows someone selling a FG let me know lol
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
Extreme discounting?

Before I bought my GT-P, I thought I'd check out a GTS... spec'd up pretty much the same (as far as possible, the one difference being the GTS had a sunroof option), the Holden dealer wanted ~$12,000 more than what I paid for the GT-P and that's for a car that, IMHO, wasn't as good as the GT-P.

$12,000! :
It is June 2009 NOT August 2008 (when you bought your GT-P).......

What happened almost a year ago is not particularly relevant to current figures.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #51
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is June 2009 NOT August 2008 (when you bought your GT-P).......
I'm impressed... either you've got a great memory, or are handy with the search feature.

Quote:
What happened almost a year ago is not particularly relevant to current figures.
That's probably true... and I don't dispute that. I can't say that I've done much checking into prices since then... but I can't see how a ~$12k difference suddenly evaporated. If HSV have moved over $12k in that time, and FPV haven't...

In the current economic climate, I can see how FPV would have an edge, given the large discrepancy in price.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #52
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thing that will hurt Holden currently is re-sale. If there discounting cars just to push them, people wont be comfortable buying them.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #53
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
+1

We vistied the Discovery centre in Geelong, they showed us the clay model of the BA GT. They told us that the BA was signed off as the AU1 was released onto the market. I imagine the FG was already signed off once the BA went on sale. So years before the VE went on sale. No idea how he came to that conclusion.
ok, so the VE was signed off on its release date???? obviously being realeased earlier meens it was signed off earlier too. and to most people it matters not what the drawing plans were 5 years before release, its what we see on the road, and the VE was first and is still better looking then the later released FG (shoot me, its my oppinion and im entitled to it)
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #54
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
No, you are the stupidest if your going to be that way, and so is your fugly worthless st.
....and he wonders why he was warned for his comment????

Honestly mate, while we may all be entitled to our opinion no matter how controversial ask yourself the following:

1. Did you convey your opinion very well??? I read your original warned post and it was far from tactful...very rude to be honest especially to FG owners which your post SEEMED to denigrate their ride.

2. This is a FORD FORUM....if you are such a fan of the falcon drivetrain why would you abuse the Ford cars in such a way WITHOUT CLARIFYING your overall vew

3. Calling another members car 'fugly' and 'worthless'...yeah that will get you alot of respect.

I think alot of members coudl learn a thing or two about how to articulate their views better rather than just being abusive and belittling others. As for your AU....well i'm no fan of its styling but i dont' go around shouting it from the rooftops. Maybe Ford's sales aren't as good as holdens because so called 'ford fans' go around telling everyone how ugly they are. Just to make my point further, I am on my second EF falcon and i think styling wise (not to mention drivetrain, NVH, safety etc. etc.) they crap all over your girlfriends VS......just my opinion of course. :

Oh and see those little red 'frown' faces under your name....probably there for a reason. And they say the reputation system will never work.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #55
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

kpcart: stop trolling please. last warning
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #56
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ok, so the VE was signed off on its release date???? obviously being realeased earlier meens it was signed off earlier too. and to most people it matters not what the drawing plans were 5 years before release, its what we see on the road, and the VE was first and is still better looking then the later released FG (shoot me, its my oppinion and im entitled to it)
My point is that years of R&D go into cars, new models are signed off years ahead of when they go into production and years before we ever see a test mule on the roads. So saying ford copied the VE in such a short time frame when the cars don't resemble each other at all seems a little far fetched. Neither ford or holden copy each other. As the 2 biggest competitors in Australia, they are going to design 2 different cars, both in performance and style. They are different, and their brand loyal customer demand something that doesn't resemble the opposition.

I agree on the FG. I'm not a fan, I'd never buy one. I still prefer the BF over the FG. That's just my opinion.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #57
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Figures are not kept for the FPV / HSV models in the VFACTs data however I will email Rod and see if he can provide the current YTD figures.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #58
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Thanks to Rod for the prompt reply - YTD to the end of April:

FPV SWB
Jan = 108
Feb=78
Mar=111
Apr = 128
Total 425 (+100 in May)

HSV SWB
Jan = 75
Feb=91
Mar=132
Apr=114
Total 412

Total brand vs. brand (all models) in the same period is 540 (FPV) vs. 634 (HSV).

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #59
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

So in Short they are really struggling to move the FG Pursuit, F6 Ute & SP comapred to HSV's Maloo R8.

The FPV Utes sold so well in the early days (BA-BAII) seems once the SP was realeased the normal Pursuit sales have just died and throwing the F6 ute in there hasn't helped.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #60
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I think the main reason for that is looks... The Maloo is really quite stunning and for people that are more about looks than overall performance the HSV is the obvious choice.