Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #31
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont negotiate a price until you drive the car.

Be prepared to walk away from a car that doesnt tick all the boxes (km, colour, drivetrain, etc).

Remember you have the cash, you are in control. If you dont like it, tell them you are going to look at another.

Dont try and play another car against theirs. Be firm with your price, but if they dont come to the table, just walk away. A few Dealers work together and you might cop a cheaper car with headaches to come down the track.

And when you negotiate, dont take the free warranty chucked in or a free service when negotiating a price either!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #32
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Never ever walk into a car dealer without someone else with you who is at least 30+. Best bit of advice I have ever recieved.

Mate, you are being stooged. How could you possibly even consider doing this? You view the car, test drive it then make an offer. You do not out any deposit down until after the test drive, and even then you sleep on it.

192,000kms for a BF - mate its worth about $8K at auction. Go down to the auction they regularly go for around $10K with under 100,000kms. Then again most are auto's but you will be able to find a manual privately for MUCH less than what this dealer is asking.

For $17K you could be buying a BA XR6T - then again if you cant have a turbo a nice low kay BF XR6 NA can be had easily for under $15K. You are being taken for a ride
Yep.

They can see you love the car, a deposit is a sale, if the price hasnt been negotiated before the sale, its the ticketed price.

Also you will have little chance of getting the deposit back.

Jason.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #33
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Yep.

They can see you love the car, a deposit is a sale, if the price hasnt been negotiated before the sale, its the ticketed price.

Also you will have little chance of getting the deposit back.

Jason.
Thank god I don't have a credit card then. The dealer was insisting that I pay a deposit, kept hasslling me for a credit card, then internet banking, then a relatives credit card, then a bank deposit and kept asking for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #34
ryanstev

Personally I wouldn't even deal with that guy at all for trying to pull this stuff.
ryanstev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #35
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Never ever walk into a car dealer without someone else with you who is at least 30+. Best bit of advice I have ever recieved.

Mate, you are being stooged. How could you possibly even consider doing this? You view the car, test drive it then make an offer. You do not out any deposit down until after the test drive, and even then you sleep on it.

192,000kms for a BF - mate its worth about $8K at auction. Go down to the auction they regularly go for around $10K with under 100,000kms. Then again most are auto's but you will be able to find a manual privately for MUCH less than what this dealer is asking.

For $17K you could be buying a BA XR6T - then again if you cant have a turbo a nice low kay BF XR6 NA can be had easily for under $15K. You are being taken for a ride
Where abouts are you located Daymoe, because I've found that cars at Pickles Auctions in Sydney sell for considerably less than what they do in Melbourne. Good luck with you decision however if it was up to me, I'd definitely be going for something with less kilometres (unless you can get this one for a really good price).

Cheers, Anthony
Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #36
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
Where abouts are you located Daymoe, because I've found that cars at Pickles Auctions in Sydney sell for considerably less than what they do in Melbourne. Good luck with you decision however if it was up to me, I'd definitely be going for something with less kilometres (unless you can get this one for a really good price).

Cheers, Anthony
I'm in Country Victoria. I've checked out Pickles Auctions website but they never have any manual cars, they're all auto. Its sort of hard to find a manual BA/BF XR6 in my price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev
Personally I wouldn't even deal with that guy at all for trying to pull this stuff.
For people who are desperate for sales to keep themselves in a job, they're certainly going about it the wrong way. Dad and I also got snubbed off at a Hyundai dealership, the nice receptionist asked us if we wanted to test drive an i30 that we were looking at, she asked for Dad's licence which he gladly handed over, then she goes to get a salesmen to go with us, and he goes "Are you buying today?" and we reply with no, then he goes then I'm not taking you for a test drive, then he went back to cooking sausages.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

1# Listen to Dad
2# You dont HAVE to put a deposit on ANY car.
3# Even if you put a deposit down they can still sell the car to someone else and refund your deposit.
4# If you do give a deposit get something signed to the effect that the car will not be sold from under you.
5# Ring the dealer, give him your best offer and leave your contact number. Then it's up to him.
6# It's June. The end of the financial year, if his cars are not moving he'll be back on the phone to you the same day.
7# If it's a fairly large car yard the receptionist is often instructed to put all possible telephone sales onto the yards best (read high pressure) salesman.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #38
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one question mate are you or your dad handy with a spanner??
if not don't go for a car with so many K's.
with in a year you will probably need
-all four ball joints $100,
-lower control arm bushes $150,
-rear shocks $150,
-front wheel bearings $250,
-the rubber flex disc in drive shaft $250,
-front and rear sway bar pins $200,
-coils $250
thats almost $1500 then you get things like diff whine and general loose ness in drive train.

the rough prices are parts only. this is what i'm guessing is needing attention now, what i would also do would probably double the amount i have put up.
i would be making sure alot of this has already been done or is not about to go.

look at a ba mk2 yes it has a 5 speed but also has some ford warranty remaining which is the only type of warranty i would take into account.
like this here
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #39
timmo

the majority of people on here are telling you not too buy this particular car...I'd spend a bit more time looking for a better example and be willing to travel.
timmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #40
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright, I'm not going to consider it anymore. I've found a nice looking BA which is manual, with 140,000km for $17,000 list price, Dad made an offer to him of $12,000 (the botched deal) and he said he'd email me some prices, they never replied. Should I go and ring them up tomorrow and discuss, then organise a test drive?

There is a problem with that BA XR6, its modded, has a sports exhaust and thats illegal under new P plate laws.

In summary:

- 192,000km is way too many Ks
- Don't put a deposit down at all until you are certain you will buy
- Test drive the car before you discuss pricing
- Be prepared to walk out the door if they don't accept your offer
- Need someone 30+ to do the talking or they won't believe me
- Offer to pay cash
- Find problems with the car in the test drive and use that to negotiate
- Never tell them how much I am willing to pay
Quote:

Last edited by Daymoe; 11-06-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #41
Kawasakirider

What mods were done to it to make it illegal for a P plater?
Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #42
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Sports exhaust". If that means aftermarket exhaust than that means illegal.
Quote:

Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #43
TP351
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
I'm in Country Victoria. I've checked out Pickles Auctions website but they never have any manual cars, they're all auto. Its sort of hard to find a manual BA/BF XR6 in my price range.
When you say country vic, where abouts is the car?
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #44
Kawasakirider

Quote:
"Sports exhaust". If that means aftermarket exhaust than that means illegal.
Really? I didn't think it was that harsh. I don't think it's quite that bad here in QLD.
Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
mickbundy

Mate I think you should tell the dealer to bring the car to you to test drive if he wants to sell it he will.
I honestly believe the dealer will sell it to you because you are not listening to what the other people are telling you THIS CAR IS TOO MANY $$$$ FOR TOO MANY K's
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #46
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
Mate I think you should tell the dealer to bring the car to you to test drive if he wants to sell it he will.
I honestly believe the dealer will sell it to you because you are not listening to what the other people are telling you THIS CAR IS TOO MANY $$$$ FOR TOO MANY K's
Quote:
Alright, I'm not going to consider it anymore.
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP351
When you say country vic, where abouts is the car?
Car is in South Melbourne, I'm in Country Victoria. Over an hours drive most likely. The other one I'm looking at is in Dandenong I think:

Click me

Still high prices, but I'll ring up tomorrow to see, if not then I'll give up on the BA/BFs.
Quote:

Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #47
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

either of these any good? dealer private

cheers, Anthony
Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #48
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity_avisGT
either of these any good? dealer private

cheers, Anthony
Thanks much mate, the dealer one looks good, but the private sale is actually an auto if you look at the pictures, that REALLY gives me the poops when people do that on purpose.
Quote:

Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #49
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

woops... sorry mate. I didn't really take a good look at the private one. Yeah, I hate it when people do that too :
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #50
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Don't ever seem too keen if you seem well yes it's ok but not exactly what I want dealers tend to sweeten the deal without you asking if you know what I mean. Even if you really want the car be a bit non comittal, play the game if you will. My trade inn last time climbed 3k from their original offer they said we cannot discount the car anymore etc....

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
+1

When I was looking for a car many years ago, I was going with mates and couldn't get a single dealer to knock a single dollar off the price.

Old man came along (who was a salesman) and knocked off $1000 on a $3500 car in the first minute. Grabbed me by the arm and we walked off, before we were able to step off the yard, sold - $2000.

Took him along to my next 4 car purchases. ;)

I'm able to do deals myself these days. I'd never put down money on a car I've never test driven. I never show over enthusiasm beyond.. 'well, this car is close to what I'm looking for but...' and tack on some negatives, even if they're bunk. I lowball to negotiate them down. If the car has been on the lot awhile, it's costing them money for it to sit there - keep your eyes open. But most importantly, never be scared to walk off the yard if you're not getting the deal YOU want. You're not buying a 1 off, plenty of other better cars out there for less money, guaranteed.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #52
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Alright, I'm not going to consider it anymore. I've found a nice looking BA which is manual, with 140,000km for $17,000 list price, Dad made an offer to him of $12,000 (the botched deal) and he said he'd email me some prices, they never replied. Should I go and ring them up tomorrow and discuss, then organise a test drive?
I still think 140,000kms is too many kms for BA with a sticker of $17K. I know these Falcons are tough but like others have said they will need lots of TLC at those sorts of kays depending on how hard a life and service history of the car. I just ran a quick 2 minute check on carsales and there was 4 manual XR6's with less than 80,000kms for about $17K in Vic. One has premium sound, full log books, 52,000kms and asking $18K (which is too much but after negotating down to $14-15K would be OK).

Quote:
In summary:

- 192,000km is way too many Ks
- Don't put a deposit down at all until you are certain you will buy
- Test drive the car before you discuss pricing
- Be prepared to walk out the door if they don't accept your offer
- Need someone 30+ to do the talking or they won't believe me
- Offer to pay cash
- Find problems with the car in the test drive and use that to negotiate
- Never tell them how much I am willing to pay
At least your learning!

There's something no one else has mentioned either - have you been checking log books for a full service history?

Also how long are you planning on keeping this car? That should influence your decision on how many kms on the clock you should be looking at. Think of the resale value if your not planning on keeping it more than 3 years (i.e go for low kms). If your keeping it long term (over 5 years) don't worry too much about kms rather look at overall condition.

The other thing is you need to be very patient and wait for the right deal to come up - study the market and pounce when someone drops their price - this can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months. At the moment the market is dead - hadrly any cars for sale and they are asking too much. I thought with GFC it would be the opposite but it appears no one wants to sell their used car in this market.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #53
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I still think 140,000kms is too many kms for BA with a sticker of $17K. I know these Falcons are tough but like others have said they will need lots of TLC at those sorts of kays depending on how hard a life and service history of the car. I just ran a quick 2 minute check on carsales and there was 4 manual XR6's with less than 80,000kms for about $17K in Vic. One has premium sound, full log books, 52,000kms and asking $18K (which is too much but after negotating down to $14-15K would be OK).

At least your learning!

There's something no one else has mentioned either - have you been checking log books for a full service history?

Also how long are you planning on keeping this car? That should influence your decision on how many kms on the clock you should be looking at. Think of the resale value if your not planning on keeping it more than 3 years (i.e go for low kms). If your keeping it long term (over 5 years) don't worry too much about kms rather look at overall condition.

The other thing is you need to be very patient and wait for the right deal to come up - study the market and pounce when someone drops their price - this can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 3 months. At the moment the market is dead - hadrly any cars for sale and they are asking too much. I thought with GFC it would be the opposite but it appears no one wants to sell their used car in this market.

Is that the purple BA XR6 in Yarrawonga? Thats about 250km away, google maps says a 3 hours drive. Unfortunately Dad won't take me there. Also, yeah I've been after cars with service history, I had an offer for a green BA XR6 on this forum, but it had no service books so no one knows if its even been serviced, that was $15,500.

I'll be keeping the car for 4 years, until I get off my Ps and I can upgrade to something a bit more powerful.

My cousin picked up his auto BA XR6 for $11,000, I thought that was a good deal, but I don't want an auto.

Some people's cars I've been looking at, been on the market for months, then all of the sudden, they jump in price by $3000? If the car isn't selling at what you listed it at then, I don't think tacking on an extra $3000 is going to help you much. This was the case with a 2003 Honda Acord Euro Luxury I was looking at, also with a 1996 25th Anniversary Nissan 300ZX, originally he wanted $15,000 and it had damage to its front bar, I offered $11,000, he said no, then I offered $13,00, again no, then he raised the price from $15,000 to $17,500 and now its back down to $14,999 he even put it up on ebay twice and no one bought it, under the excuse "its rare because its a 25h anniversary model", whoopdie do, it came standard with a Stillen bodykit and a set of 17" wheels and a sticker with 25 on it, that makes it worth an extra $5000 over the other 50,000 300ZX's on the market <10K doesn't it?
Quote:

Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #54
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for double post, but what are fuel economy figures for BA/BF XR6s on the highway, 90% of my driving is in 100 zones. Dad seems to think that they use too much fuel blah blah blah "Insert small car here".
Quote:

Old 12-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #55
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Sorry for double post, but what are fuel economy figures for BA/BF XR6s on the highway, 90% of my driving is in 100 zones. Dad seems to think that they use too much fuel blah blah blah "Insert small car here".
depends on how you drive....im currently getting around 9.7L/100km, this figure includes both city and highway kays....but majority of it is highway..oh and i also use premium fuel, which helps alot with fuel economy...

and sadly your right about manuals being higher priced than autos...autos are a dime a dozen these days...when i was in the market for a car, i saw a 2006 manual with loads more Kays on the clock and in pretty bad shape sell for almost 3ks more than what i got my newer auto xr for...just be patient..it pays off trust me!

Last edited by alter_EGOXR; 12-06-2009 at 03:53 PM.
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #56
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Daymoe it sounds like your really listening to what everyone is saying which is extremerly wise especially considering the advice that has been given which is golden!!!

Remeber time is a sellers enemy and a buyers tool.

You MAY also want to consider a car broker, auctions or even ex-lease companies........

But why do you want a manuel so badly the autos especially the 6spds are VERY good.

Also fuel economy I wil tell you our BF is cheaper to run than our focus and we live in Ballarat so like you 90% is country driving!

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #57
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Daymoe it sounds like your really listening to what everyone is saying which is extremerly wise especially considering the advice that has been given which is golden!!!

Remeber time is a sellers enemy and a buyers tool.

You MAY also want to consider a car broker, auctions or even ex-lease companies........

But why do you want a manuel so badly the autos especially the 6spds are VERY good.

Also fuel economy I wil tell you our BF is cheaper to run than our focus and we live in Ballarat so like you 90% is country driving!
I like changing my own gears, it makes driving enjoyable and more involved.
Quote:

Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #58
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I like changing my own gears, it makes driving enjoyable and more involved.
I used to think the same but I've since revised my view. My car has a sequential shifter by my left hand and paddles on the wheel. If I want to change my own gears, I can. If I want the computer to do it for me, stick it in D. I don't miss the extra pedal and my left knee is thanking me for it.

I gain the benefit of it being quicker off the mark, kinder on the juice and perfect blipping on downshift every time.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #59
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

rodp is right... i wanted a manual too, however prices were a little steep for my liking..and i think this is where i think ford has done a really good job...when they introduced the ba back in 2002 they were smart to stick in a tip tronic auto in even the basic XT...its the smartest thing they ever did...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #60
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update on the BF, here is something I picked up on from another forum I frequent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavlewis
Is that the one with 192,000kms? If so, I test drove that the other week. Clutch is pretty worn and there's a fair bit of wear on some of the interior around the drivers seat.

Body work is nice and clean and relitively unmarked on the outside (it hadn't been detailed as of yet when I drove it) as there were a few things to fix like the cracked driving lights etc.
Quote: