Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2018, 01:09 AM   #31
notNA

Default Re: cracked windshield...

I have rain sensors...

now I'm worried, it's a 2015 fgx

found a company called novus who will do it for $350, sounds a bit too good to be true.
notNA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #32
Maysik

I would not be too worried, a lot of our drama was it being an overpriced Jeep part. Yours is about the price for Ford or Holden.

BEWARE:

When I first made inquiries about the sensor stuff with the windscreen company, I was told sometimes when a rain sensing windscreen is replaced, it does not work as such when the job is done. I was told this is just what happens sometimes and you just have to live with that.

When the sensor did not work after the replacement, I was given the same speal by the installer when I contacted them. Needless to say, they, the insurance company and the insurance company contractor that outsources the job heard my concerns very clearly.

Shortly after I was contacted and organised a date to come over and install the sensor box. The morning they arrived to replace sensor box, everything started working as it should.

Don't let them try that one on you, they have to pay for the $400 sensor box as it is part of the replacement.
Maysik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2018, 09:30 AM   #33
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by notNA View Post
well, ****..

stuff it I am going for the OEM one and paying the extra.

time to call up Obrien and confirm I'm not getting a cheap Chinese one

anyway you can confirm other than taking their word?
Pretty fair bet that wherever you get your new screen it will come from the same factory as the $300 job.O,briens just put a much bigger mark up on the price.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #34
Maysik

Everybody talking about prices, does no one take out windscreen cover?

Its like when I have had a need for a hire car, (If you own a JEEP, at some stage you will need one), I always take out the windscreen cover usually $9.00 a day extra. If I am not offered it, I'll ask for it.

It has payed for itself a few times now. Better than paying hire car companies over inflated windscreen replacement cost.

Last edited by Maysik; 27-01-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Hire car
Old 27-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysik View Post
Everybody talking about prices, does no one take out windscreen cover?
From memory, I don't think I can have windscreen cover on the trucks something to do with large frontal area magnetically attracted to stones, its a bit like trying to have NRMA, RACV etc towing on GVM over 4.5T.
They will not touch it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #36
Maysik

Yes, different story to cars I suppose.
Old 27-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #37
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysik View Post
If you have automatic windscreen wipers beware. The windscreen is 'special' and there is a box that when disturbed when windscreen removed, most likely will need replacing. $400.00. This usually happens, but not to ours.

On a brighter note, Shannons use a glass retailer in Australia for that special piece of glass. I have a 1959 Oldsmobile and the safety writing bit in the corner can be duplicated and placed on the glass just like factory as well as the green tint.
My Calais V has rain sensing wipers. I had Shannons do a screen about 5 years back. I made sure they knew about the wipers before booking the installer.

He came out, and had a special gel pad on the screen - the sensor comes off, the new gel is exposed, and the sensor goes on very carefully. He reckoned they were almost impossible to screw up, and never had issues. He was right with mine - no problems at all.

Had a few guys at work get screens done - an Audi & VW Passat that have rain sensing wipers too - no probs with theirs either, nor the BMW ones.

If you go on ebay, and search "rain sensor gel repair" you'll see a myriad of different gel pads, and even syringes with gel used to "refill" leaky sensors.
The new screen already had the gel pad on it - they just peeled off the protective clear film, and applied the sensor.

Maybe the Jeep uses a different system? Or are they a pain to get off & the installer ends up wrecking them?
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #38
Maysik

I spoke to the guys about that when they rocked up, its inside the box that's the issue. Something inside dislodges and doesn't matter how careful they are. They mentioned some are fine others are not and need replacing.
Old 28-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #39
notNA

anyone heard about this company.
https://www.facebook.com/AceWindscreensAutoglass/
Old 28-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #40
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by notNA View Post
anyone heard about this company.
https://www.facebook.com/AceWindscreensAutoglass/
I don't have an active FB account to check.

But, as posted near the top of this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
If you know a good local panel beater / smash repairer, ask them who they use - they won't put up with crap work. One not far from me uses a company called Ace Windscreens, but I don't know if they're local to you.
If it's the same company then they should be fine. Cross-check phone numbers, address etc - and ring the mobile number, don't use FB messenger.

Problem with Farcebook is anyone can have an instant "business" in 30 seconds, and not actually register their business name, pay insurances etc.
That's why I noted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
As far as reputation, if they only have a farcebook site, then you have to question how legitimate their business is. Ones that have an online yellow pages ad would have likely been around a lot longer.
And it wouldn't be the first time someone has used Farcebook to imitate a legitimate business, and ride on their reputation.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #41
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has any one upgraded their windscreen in their FG to an acoustic windscreen like in the FG ecoboosts?
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2018, 11:00 PM   #42
notNA

well, i have booked the replacement for tomorrow.. let's see what I end up with
4 users like this post: