Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
This is one reason why i'd say 4wd's are so popular. It's actually a more relaxing drive being able to see people on the brakes 4 or 5 cars ahead, being able to see who might running the red lights when yours turns green, being able to see parkd cars or cars pulling out onto the road from a much further distance. This kind of visibility simply isn't possible if your at everyone elses height.
And the person who is behind that 4X4 sees what? Jack Shyte!
Visibility may be great for the 4x4 driver, but the guy behind them rarely gets to see anything except the brake lights on the 4x4(If they are working), and if the 4x4 driver isnt paying attention and slams on the anchors, even with a 3 second gap, it can get mighty interesting mighty fast as you watch the nose of your car disappear under their rear end and their tow bar come up fast into the windscreen.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
And the person who is behind that 4X4 sees what? Jack Shyte!
Visibility may be great for the 4x4 driver, but the guy behind them rarely gets to see anything except the brake lights on the 4x4(If they are working), and if the 4x4 driver isnt paying attention and slams on the anchors, even with a 3 second gap, it can get mighty interesting mighty fast as you watch the nose of your car disappear under their rear end and their tow bar come up fast into the windscreen.
No arguments here! That's what i mean - that's half the reason 4wd's are so popular. The average toorak tractor pilot doesn't give a rats what's happening behind them!

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath_48
This is one reason why i'd say 4wd's are so popular. It's actually a more relaxing drive being able to see people on the brakes 4 or 5 cars ahead, being able to see who might running the red lights when yours turns green, being able to see parkd cars or cars pulling out onto the road from a much further distance. This kind of visibility simply isn't possible if your at everyone elses height. Not that this is an excuse for owning a 4wd that doesn't 4wd.
Maybe someone should design some sort of periscope windscreen :P

and sorry young'un i'd have to agree with others in saying most rollovers would happen when people are reacting to an emergency or have already been hit/are out of control.

-Stu
In traffic with vehicles my height, I always watch both the car infront and the car that's infront of the car infront (and further if I'm able). I don't mind being behind trucks or commercial vans because they don't have the stopping power of a reasonable 4WD. 4WD's, can't see past them and they can stop pretty quickly these days.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post