Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #31
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Might be the next GT-HO engine ( ooops, can of worms.....)
Nah, we all know that is a V10 that runs on Whale Oil.

How was the news taken at Geelong this morning Gobes32?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #32
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Nah, we all know that is a V10 that runs on Whale Oil.

How was the news taken at Geelong this morning Gobes32?
No one saw it coming. All a bit shocked but more so happy than anything else.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #33
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Ford Geelong does have an Aluminium Casting plant............
yet the heads for the I6 are cast in Mexico...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
yet the heads for the I6 are cast in Mexico...
For how much longer. I'm betting that they will come back to Australia too.

There are many alloy parts in a Falcon that Ford cast. More now, too.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #35
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its pretty exciting that the new diesel engine will be assembled here. Would they be predicting big volumes for this? Talk orginally of the imported diesel as an option on the Territory had it priced around the $4000 mark, I wonder if this will go down with local production.

Also are Drive just assuming its the Landrover or could it be a local I6 development? Is it pretty much confirmed its the Landrover unit?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #36
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Its pretty exciting that the new diesel engine will be assembled here. Would they be predicting big volumes for this? Talk orginally of the imported diesel as an option on the Territory had it priced around the $4000 mark, I wonder if this will go down with local production.

Also are Drive just assuming its the Landrover or could it be a local I6 development? Is it pretty much confirmed its the Landrover unit?

I'm predicting there has been a balls-up in that media release... and therefore clarification soon..

1. The only casting to be done here is the I6 and the brake components

2.The V6 Diesel will be fully imported from the Uk.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #37
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I'm predicting there has been a balls-up in that media release... and therefore clarification soon..

funny you say that.. The Goauto report has something similar to this.. I though I was reading it wrong becuase all the others said something different!! Maybe Goauto are the only ones to get it right?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #38
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:

yep.. i agree.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #39
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
funny you say that.. The Goauto report has something similar to this.. I though I was reading it wrong becuase all the others said something different!! Maybe Goauto are the only ones to get it right?
Yes..

The internet hey ? A word out of place and FoA is building a whole new engine line and a new product. :

But then again everything on the net is true isn't it ?

Next thing FoA will be the global supplier of that engine too...
Old 14-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #40
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

very good news for local production...and the falcon!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #41
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

So in other words...nothing has really changed apart from Geelong now making brake components.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Definately a balls up in the media release. It is the I6 blocks that will continue to be cast here, they mistakenly added the Territory diesel bit. I noticed it as soon as I read the media release this morning, don't know how they didn't pick up the mistake.

Might be a way of keeping the casting plant open when they stop making blocks, cranks and rods come 2015.

But in the meantime its a good way for the company to make extra money.

They have been hiring a lot more workers lately.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 14-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #43
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Might be a way of keeping the casting plant open when they stop making blocks, cranks and rods come 2015.
If Toyota and Holden are still building cars in Oz :

Lets hope all three still are ...
Old 14-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #44
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
So in other words...nothing has really changed apart from Geelong now making brake components.

1 million per year ! That's a lot !
Old 14-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/64732/fo...s-create-jobs/

Quote:
Ford Australia announces $20 million green upgrade to retain skills, create jobs

April 14, 2010 by Matt Brogan

Ford Australia has today announced a $20 million upgrade of its Geelong Casting Plant.

The plant’s workforce will grow by 50 per cent as a result of the upgrade which includes technical and environmental modifications aimed at modernising the facility. The decision also secures the jobs of the plant’s existing 100 employees, and supports further employment through the automotive industry supply chain.

The deal will see the plant manufacture nearly one million brake components annually for Bosch Chassis Systems Australia, a supplier of automotive brake systems, in addition to casting brake components and engines for the locally-built Falcon and Territory.

Prior to today’s announcement, the new production work was scheduled to head to China. Ford Australia president and CEO, Marin Burela saying today’s announcement proves the company is leading local industry in discovering innovative new ways to bolster Australian automotive parts manufacturing.

“Our $20 million investment is great news for local jobs, great news for the environment, great news for the automotive sector and great news for Ford Australia,” said Mr Burela.

“It keeps in Australia work that could otherwise have gone to Chinese manufacturers, which is a fantastic testament to the skills and productivity of our workforce,

“It is vital that automotive manufacturing skills remain in Australia for the viability and strength of the entire sector, and we’re very pleased the Australian and Victorian Governments have recognised this through their support.”

The upgrade investment comes in addition to the $230 million in sustainability initiatives for Falcon and Territory announced last year, part of the company’s ten year, $1.8 billion investment in Australian operations.

“It’s no secret we were looking at a range of options for the Plant, including new ownership, however after careful consideration we have a growth plan that takes the Plant to full capacity and, importantly, creates new jobs at Ford,” said Mr Burela.

The Geelong Casting Plant also produces Euro IV compliant 4.0-litre six-cylinder engine blocks (I6) for use in Ford Falcon and Ford Territory models.

As well, the plant is set to produce the new Territory diesel and petrol variants, supported by the Australian Government under the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme program.

“Our I6 engine continues to be the cornerstone of our success in Australia and its evolution over the last 50 years is testament to the engineering ingenuity we have at Ford Australia,” Mr Burela said.

“Its upgrade to Euro IV emissions standards proves that it is possible to enjoy the benefits of a large car along with improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.”

Upgrades to the Geelong Casting Plant will take place over the next three years and will include environmental benefits such as:

* An electricity efficiency gain of more than 5100kW hours each day, obtained by reducing furnace idle times
* Increased use of recycled stormwater to 77,000 litres a week, or 3.7 million litres a year – around 20 per cent of all water used at the Plant will be from recycled stormwater, up from the current 5 per cent
* Increased use of recycled shredded metal, increasing from 32 per cent to 70 per cent – 67 tonnes of metal a day will be recycled, or almost 15,000 tonnes a year
* Sand reclamation to increase to almost 100 per cent by selling around 138 tonnes of surplus sand each week for cement production, reducing sand landfill requirements to zero

Mr Burela said the announcement demonstrates the on-going strength of Ford’s Australian operations.

“Ford Australia enjoyed a strong 2009 and we’re looking even stronger in 2010. In fact we’ve had to schedule overtime days for five of the last six months to keep up with customer demand and we’re currently selling almost 100 per cent of our vehicle supply each month,” explained Mr Burela.

“Building on this growth, in coming months we’ll be unveiling a range of upgrades and innovations to celebrate Falcon’s 50th year, in addition to already announced enhancements such as Falcon EcoBoost and Falcon LPi.”
Old 14-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

With casting plant to go full capacity next year I was wondering what would happen if they needed to up the rate of I6's, but then I realised they probably won't need to as the new V8, EB 4 and TD V6 will probably take some sales from the I6 and numbers shouldn't need to expand.

Its also maybe why Ford are not looking to increase line rate now as extra I6 numbers would need to be cut back next year making it a waste of time and money going up and then back again once EB 4 and TD V6 come on line.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #47
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Damn, hopes of an I6 based diesel shattered.

Maybe we will now have brake rotors now that don't warp and get shudder? :P
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #48
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

[sarcasm on]Geez, that's shattering news. Does this mean the Falcon will die? Only a ten year plan? Gez Spinks was right, Falcon is going FWD, what a catastrophe! [/sarcasm off]

Falc! On!
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #49
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
[sarcasm on]Geez, that's shattering news. Does this mean the Falcon will die? Only a ten year plan? Gez Spinks was right, Falcon is going FWD, what a catastrophe! [/sarcasm off]

Falc! On!
lol classic
sounds like great news to me

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They have been hiring a lot more workers lately.
Every time I go look at the careers section of FoA's website it always says they have no openings....
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #51
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just cause the openings aren't publicly advertised doesn't mean they don't exist.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #52
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think they're just doing an "Australian Government".

Create "new jobs", with the intention of just promoting staff who already work in the organisation, but still advertise and interview, then 6 months later tell them they where unsuccessfull and withdraw all advertising.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #53
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Congrats on the continued investment by Ford. Great to see. All the best to those working there and the additional work that the investment will bring.

Nice to hear the environmental credentials have been upped significantly too. Doubt that would've happened in China.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #54
gazza414

I've been thru the Ford Casting Plant in recent years..absolutely 3rd world quality control and reject rate

Its lucky to be operating at all.
Old 14-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #55
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza414
I've been thru the Ford Casting Plant in recent years..absolutely 3rd world quality control and reject rate

Its lucky to be operating at all.
Well, of one of the end products, the I6 speaks for itself. One of the workers who is a member here said they had IIRC 3 engine issues out of what 58,000 made last year.

So, if the plant is as bad as you say, then this investment will provide an even better product and a much better environmental footprint. Great news.

Retrotech thread
Old 15-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #56
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Well, of one of the end products, the I6 speaks for itself. One of the workers who is a member here said they had IIRC 3 engine issues out of what 58,000 made last year.
That is a load of bullocks. That would mean a failure rate of less than 0.0005%. No one would achieve such a low failure rate, I don't even believe Lexus or Honda would be able to acheive a failure rate of less than 0.5%, and given the quality issues about everything else noted on the forums......
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #57
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
That is a load of bullocks. That would mean a failure rate of less than 0.0005%. No one would achieve such a low failure rate, I don't even believe Lexus or Honda would be able to acheive a failure rate of less than 0.5%, and given the quality issues about everything else noted on the forums......
It was 3 engine pulls (entire engine BER). As opposed to the couple of thousand at Alfa with their V6.
Old 15-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #58
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
It was 3 engine pulls (entire engine BER). As opposed to the couple of thousand at Alfa with their V6.
The Alfa engine was made by Holden Engine Company.

Retrotech thread
Old 15-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #59
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Correction. 3 failures / engine pulls in 58000 is not 0.0005% it is 0.0052%. You were out by a factor of 10.

Basically, if they have such a good record with their engines now, you would expect that this increased investment will make them better still.

Retrotech thread
Old 15-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #60
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2% of Ferrari V12 blocks are rejected after casting
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post