Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #31
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Police hit speed bump to replace Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore highway patrol cars

I think the State police forces should just stockpile and buy up the last of the XR6T's and SS's. That should cover them over for the next 3 or 4 years.
Do a bulk buy deal with Ford & Holden, and save them having to buy $60K cars for awhile.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #32
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: Police hit speed bump to replace Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore highway patrol cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
The FG was a big improvement over B series.

Really ?
How so when they share the same drive train.
I would have thought the issues that plagued B series would be same for FG.
In fact FG seems to suffer more from the ZF milkshake than B series ever did.
Just curious is all.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
So in countries where you can't buy a commo or falcon do they not have highway patrol cars?
Not ones as quick as XR6Ts...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #34
Falcman0o7
Banned

If I see a mustang police car I'll be ripping a skid for a closer look :P
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #35
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder why no mention of the WRX? Probably the most sensible option, as for size, my guess is the current gen Rex is not hugely smaller than a falcon and make much more sense than a Mastang.

Base model Rex + brembos would be on par price wise with XR6T or SS.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #36
Carrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I wonder why no mention of the WRX? Probably the most sensible option, as for size, my guess is the current gen Rex is not hugely smaller than a falcon and make much more sense than a Mastang.

Base model Rex + brembos would be on par price wise with XR6T or SS.
I think they gave them a go a while back and ditched the idea.

Something to do with WHS getting in and out of the cars with all their gear on.
Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #37
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK...would have thought they where easier to get in and out of than a Mustang or VW Golf.

I use complain about the size of our Focus too....but I reckon I would not complain about the size of a mid engined sportscar......maybe cops make similar concessions for certain makes and models.
Old 25-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #38
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the UK Police seem to manage with Vauxhall Astras etc. but use BMW 530D & Audi S3's for "Road Policing units"
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #39
mitelsx2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our AU & NZ Police need 4 -door sedans to lock up our a local wild life, when they pick them up

Previous rides: 2011 FPV GTE colour Edge 6-speed Auto, Build #019
BMC Twin air filter, street fighter oil breathers, Window tints & paint protection. CTB Tuned 364 rwKW
XR8 Black Lux pack 2004
Fiesta trend 2017
mitelsx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #40
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
VE was just as bad as the B series. Unsure on VF
VE was a horrible waste of a billion dollars, but VF is the most falcon-like commodore ever. Looks like the lame lion finally caught up, or pinched some talent from Ford PD. Steering wheel mounted cruise control, air con vents mounted in the dash instead of being stupidly mounted on the front door trims with suction pipes linking them to the dash, decent 6cyl exhaust note, good ergonomics.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #41
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Pity the Focus RS doesn't have an auto as they would go alright as HWP. They've used WRX's before, why not again? These "small" cars aren't so small anymore
Haha, even if they came with an auto and they where a viable option they would still be unsuitable in the real world because half the cops I know wouldn't fit in those damn boy racer seats they come with. You have to have a lady boy frame to fit in one
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #42
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post
Haha, even if they came with an auto and they where a viable option they would still be unsuitable in the real world because half the cops I know wouldn't fit in those damn boy racer seats they come with. You have to have a lady boy frame to fit in one
We use to call the police uniform "Macdonald's Discount Suits"

Maybe smaller cars might encourage a diet away from big macs and krisky Kremes.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #43
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of years left to decide for cops in NZ, I saw a VY police car recently and they are well over 10 years old now
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2016, 10:04 PM   #44
mick74GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
VE was just as bad as the B series. Unsure on VF
I've had 3 v8 VEs. All have been great. You must mean the 6 cylinder version.
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #45
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
We use to call the police uniform "Macdonald's Discount Suits"

Maybe smaller cars might encourage a diet away from big macs and krisky Kremes.
I have had my fair share of issues with the fuzz many years ago but now I am a family man so I sail a clean ship if that makes any sense... ( my son is 6 and a half). McDonald's offer discount or free food to the police only to increase the presence. To the dumb *** criminal that will scare them off. To McDonald's a handfull of free feeds a week saves them the them the cost of a wage for a security guard so it probably isn't the worst business decision ever made.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #46
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I think they may go with the Mustangs because of large front seats. The coppers need a big seat to accomodate them and all the gear they wear on their belt. Will have to wait and see.
Old 20-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #47
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not Subaru WRX and Mitso Evos?

4doors, same price tags, performance in mind

Other countries use them.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #48
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Evo is going the way of the Dodo too

WRX isnt big enough last time I heard.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #49
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Didn't they mention WRX couldn't meet the braking requirements....for qld Hwy Patrol at least!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #50
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Plenty of years left to decide for cops in NZ, I saw a VY police car recently and they are well over 10 years old now
I reckon NZ police will end up going with Skoda wagons. Not sure if they have anything up for evaluation, as the current VE/VF fleet will probably see them through the next 5-10 years. Still quite a few VZ's getting around too.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #51
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

https://www.facebook.com/UnmarkedPoliceCars

stang already stickered, just waiting for brake performance.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #52
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the STi version of the Levorg wagon, same drivetrain as WRX?

Those XR6Ts are fearsome, if you ever get to see them in full song pursuit on a NSW highway. (Wasn't chasing me!) Glorious sound too. I saw it about 2k back in the rear vision mirror and just had time to clear back into the left lane as I was overtaking, before it zinged past. Scum had driven past at about 130 some 10 minutes before.
Old 20-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #53
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That artists impression on a police Mustang in the OP looks filthy. And I love the new Mustangs.

Is 4 doors really needed, I'm sure Mustang could do the work of pulling teh offender over, and if they need to be arrested they could call for a nearby 4 door or paddy wagon to come pick them up. Wouldn't be to bad in the more metropolitan areas. How often do HP arrest people anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #54
wagnman

I cant see coupes being a viable option for any police duties beyond a marketing exercise. Cop cars need to have a back seat to throw the "perps" in for the run back to the station etc. Anything with 4 doors that runs a decent 0 to 150 time and is roomy enough for all rhe electronics would be perfect. A mondeo, aurion, passat, merc c serries, bm 3 or 5 serries, or many of the yanky 4 door sedans would turn the trick easily. The police wont miss the commys and falcs as much as us "enthusiasts"

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
wagnman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2016, 10:38 PM   #55
cycle myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
So in countries where you can't buy a commo or falcon do they not have highway patrol cars?
Exactly.

The author is disconnected from the reality of the situation.

I nice tribute to local cars (and I love Falcons - some of you would know why), but this is just an ignorant feel good article.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnman View Post
I cant see coupes being a viable option for any police duties beyond a marketing exercise. Cop cars need to have a back seat to throw the "perps" in for the run back to the station etc. Anything with 4 doors that runs a decent 0 to 150 time and is roomy enough for all rhe electronics would be perfect. A mondeo, aurion, passat, merc c serries, bm 3 or 5 serries, or many of the yanky 4 door sedans would turn the trick easily. The police wont miss the commys and falcs as much as us "enthusiasts"

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
2 doors shouldn't be a problem for HP cars (they had Cordia's in Vic remember)

If anyone needs a ride to the station they often go in the front seat, as a lot of HP cars are only solo, or if needed they call a caged van.
Old 20-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #57
Trump
bitch lasagne

Heard a rumour today that the cops here in Mexico are considering a pov-pack 535i for HWP duties. Story goes that with the volumes involved, the price comes down to about $70k per car if their tests are successful.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #58
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Heard a rumour today that the cops here in Mexico are considering a pov-pack 535i for HWP duties. Story goes that with the volumes involved, the price comes down to about $70k per car if their tests are successful.
Id have thought most states would be following the Feds and looking at BMWs as a replacement possibility. Prices always come down significantly with fleet deals ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #59
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I'd imagine the beemers servicing and repairs would be substantially more. Initial price is only a part of it. Depreciation of euro models would be an issue aswell.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #60
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Vic Pol tried WRX's in the past and absolutely hated them because they had the interior space of a sardine can. I can't see any small car or hatch ever being used successfully for this sole reason.
The WRX is bigger than it once was though.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: