Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #31
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should also add Bigpond pricing is decieving. Rememeber to add 10% GST.

Internodes $49.95 includes GST

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #32
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I should also add Bigpond pricing is decieving. Rememeber to add 10% GST.

Internodes $49.95 includes GST
Just payed my bill, and was $69.95 gst inclusive.

$63.59 + $6.36 gst.

Can't see anything hidden on that...
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #33
TUF514
Banned

im with netspace.

79.95 per month unlimited everything and 1500/512 connection./

i was a member a few years back and they have since cut thier unlimited plan, but seeing as though i was already on it, they let me stay.

i have never ever had a drop out!!! id recomend them hands down.
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #34
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
Just payed my bill, and was $69.95 gst inclusive.

$63.59 + $6.36 gst.

Can't see anything hidden on that...
They may have finally pulled their finger out of their bum realising they may get into trouble advertising one price and charging another. Doesn't concern me know ;) I'm not with Telstra for ADSL although they tried to get me back with some ridiculous speil about being cheaper?!?!

Old 17-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #35
EXECJIM

Internode is the only way to go :

Jim
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #36
crusher
Dirty ute club member

As Flappist said, if your not in the metro area your kinda buggered for options. Telstra is really the major way to go.

Were with Telstra and becuase were not in the metro area we get extra crap. So for country folk its good.

Dont really have much advice but dont rule out telstra. For country areas its good. We never have a problem with our phone lines/drop outs. So i dunno why city people do. Strange.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
......yada yada yada.......city people ....... Strange.
Yep that about sums it up
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #38
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
I am using Bigpond Cable Extreme, I have mo probs. 10 gig limit but no extra costs. Just downgraded to 64kbpm if you go over. Recently downloaded Windows Vista 64bit from Microsoft, 4.2 gig download, and it was all done in 36 mins. "smokin"
$69.95 a month. Jeez, I recal paying that for 33.6kbpm for 40 hours per month. Ahh the good ol' days. :
Bigpond Cable Extreme (up to 17Mbps/0.25Mbps) 10GB d/l for $69 ?

iiNet ADSL2+ (up to 24Mbps/1Mbps) 80GB d/l for $89 ;) (40GB d/l was $69 I think)

Back to XRChic- try Broadband Choice as someone mentioned earlier I think. Punch in your phone number and indicate what you're looking for and it'll give you the best options for your area. Broadband is always a tricky subject and everyone has their own experiences etc. I'd just recommend using that site as your guide. I'd recommend against Telstra (overpriced, slow and not very modern plans), but if it's best for you - then go for it I'd suggest having a good look at Internode and iiNet though
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #39
max
LWBforME

Strike me pink Jac, are you any the wiser now? I am in the same boat as you. Wife just rang me to tell me to expect a call from a Telstra spruiker with a similar offer to what you describe. Not knocking all the good advice you just got, but its all so complicated!! I will be told by this Telstra salesman that if we bundle both mobile accounts with our landline and get Broadband to boot we will save $$$$$. Trouble with these guys they want to get you over the phone. I just don't operate that way. I need printed info in front of me to mull over. The way I see it is this. I'm with Chariot Dial-up. Block hours average $20 month. I do sod-all downloading (as yet, I'm happy with the radio and CD's so far) Each mobile is about $40/month and the landline is approx $210/3 months. So, extrapolating.... average present communication bill is $170/month total phones with shyte internet dial-up connection. If this geeza can prove I will pay substantially less with his deal, I might think about it. The other thing about the landline/mobile combo is that I need to have each separately itemised for tax purposes. I don't know if they will do that. Also any up-front costs for modem supply. Phew!! I'll be happy when this is all sorted!! Will it be simpler, or will we get a whacking big bill for all four things combined every month?
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #40
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they won't supply printed info? You know the deal isn't good. Bigpond do that all the time. I got a $5 discount for having my mobile phone with them so I paid $54.95 but the 10% GST 4.95 took me back upto $59.95 anyway. I was better off keeping my phone with them (2 mobiles and 1 landline) and moving the ADSL to Internode. Once I moved to Internode I got a call from Telstra asking why I moved and trying to get me back. I just said their plans aren't competative enough to entice me. He did offer me some good discounts on my other 3 phones though. For me it was a win win situation

Old 17-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #41
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Without reading the replies as im pressed for time. Dont go with bigpond. I work for them doing tech support and wouldnt recommend them. Also, there are cheaper alternatives from better isp's.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #42
XRchic
Hello

Cheers guys! Yeah max, there is a lot of info, but its all good. Ive just been reading through it taking it all in...

It is complicated and I will be glad once I pick something and sort it, but I guess complicated means more choice and better deals hidden in there somewhere. At the moment, with Telstra, I am paying around $300- $400 per month for the mobiles as well as about $40 a month for the landline (including dial up calls - mostly what it is actually and line rental)...and $30 per month for dialup - between 34MB and 140MB per month downloaded over the last year.

I reckon I can find a way to save there somehow...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #43
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just remember more d/l speed = more bandwidth (data) used.

I told 2 mates 2gb or was it 5gb wasn't enough on a 256/64 account. They didn't believe me. They upgraded to 12gb accounts shortly after (roughly 2mths).

The more speed you have the more you can browse.

Old 17-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #44
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
We live in Mt Barker... so there must be!!! Hahaha.
Just... Lol....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #45
punkin
having time of her life!

we're just about to get ASDL 2+
we reviewed all options open to us and this one was the best, with the best speed, best download limits and seems to be the best price. Will know more when we've got it up and running - the new computer is being designed on Thursday so we should have it all up and running sometime next week.

1963 Chev Impala | Black | 2 door : <- Angel
Mazda 2 | Turbo (custom) | Spicy Orange <- punkin
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #46
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was with Telstra Bigpond but experienced lots of drop outs and always waited on the phone 1/2 an hour or more for tech advice and then it was from some call centre in timbucktoo where speaking English seemed to be foreign.

Changed to Primus a year ago. Had no drop outs and only had to seek tech advice once. Had to wait 5 minutes and although the tech was an arrogant rude aussie pig, at least he understood English and the problem was solved quickly.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #47
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am with dodo,,59.90 per month 30gb download 1500/512.
Old 18-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #48
UTE69Z
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogstar
I'm with TPG (www.tpg.com.au) on their 'Premium 1500' plan $69.95. 1500/256 plan with 25GB limit. It shapes down to 64K when you go over your limit. 6 month contact, setup fee $59.95.

Pretty fast and I can't remember the last time it was down. Help desk is Australia based and very helpful.

Make sure you get a decent download limit, as the faster you CAN download, the more you WILL download. I would say a minimum 5GB.

Setting it up yourself is not too hard, most ISP's supply a setup CD. You just need to put some ADSL filters on your other phones in the house.
I'll agree with that... I am on that same plan and it is great, when I joined they supplied the line filter(one only), but dont know if they still give you one.

I will ad that right now I am using Bigpond Wireless Broadband while I am house sitting and it is crap (not a reflection of the service), it is crap because this is a poor reception area so it is really slow, I ran a speed tester and it recored it at 286kbps (ok probably pretty fast compared to dial-up, but I'm used to 1500kbps).

So unless your in a good reception area dont get wireless!.
UTE69Z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #49
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EDIT: sorry never read thread properly

anyways broadband or adsl they basically the same thing

maybe u were talking about adsl/dsl/adsl2+/cable/T1/T3(omg)
adsl - basic broadband speed up to 1.5mbps(cost heaps)
dsl - not to sure think its a step down from adsl
adsl2+ - ive been waiting 7 months still havent got it but speed is 1.4mbps-24mbps (thats a 700+mb file in like 6-10mins)
cable - same stuff you get your cable tv over..unsure of speed
T1 - i think its like LAN speed so 10mbps-100mbps??
T3 - even faster and i think only god has this connection or the military

not sure but some programs should have this info

if your talking about ISP
telstra - way over priced(they are paying cheap indian labour ffs)
westnet - secure, reliable, fast, cheap, can only pay by credit card, direct debit
optus - think they got 1 month free no obligation.. take that offer for now
internet solutions (townsville) - im with them and would rather be with telstra..long story (still waiting for adsl2+ for 7 months)
raw net (townsville) - better but not worth the same money for less ie. about same money for less downloads, slower speed, but reliable and they actually give you adsl2+
AOL (australia) - why not burn your money
dodo - as above just burn it
some other local and generic ISP's
well some are dodge, some even go bust, some are good....but in the end 50%+ maybe more maybe less are still governed by the telstra network..just depends where your money goes

NOTE: as almost everyone has said DO NOT GET WIRELESS

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro

Last edited by S3SR; 18-07-2006 at 04:03 PM.
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #50
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

dont use telstra they are a huge rip off. I say go adsl because there are tones of comanies that do it so you can shop around. I no when i was looking at it i found 1500/256 with like 30 gigs for $50 and that was over a yr ago i am sure its either the same or cheaper now

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
XD-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #51
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:

I told 2 mates 2gb or was it 5gb wasn't enough on a 256/64 account. They didn't believe me. They upgraded to 12gb accounts shortly after (roughly 2mths).

thats right i just alone on browsing and fooling around use about 3 or 4 gigs a month.
when i dl stuff and play on xbox live (xbl) i can rack up to 30 + gigs easy a months esp if more then one xbox is on xbl (friends over)

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
XD-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #52
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I have ADSL(1500/256) thru Internode and they are really reliable. Decent helpdesk service too. I can't wait til the ADSL2 rollout happens in my area.

I hear Netspace is pretty good as well.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
EDIT: sorry never read thread properly

anyways broadband or adsl they basically the same thing

maybe u were talking about adsl/dsl/adsl2+/cable/T1/T3(omg)
adsl - basic broadband speed up to 1.5mbps(cost heaps)
dsl - not to sure think its a step down from adsl
adsl2+ - ive been waiting 7 months still havent got it but speed is 1.4mbps-24mbps (thats a 700+mb file in like 6-10mins)
cable - same stuff you get your cable tv over..unsure of speed
T1 - i think its like LAN speed so 10mbps-100mbps??
T3 - even faster and i think only god has this connection or the military

not sure but some programs should have this info

if your talking about ISP
telstra - way over priced(they are paying cheap indian labour ffs)
westnet - secure, reliable, fast, cheap, can only pay by credit card, direct debit
optus - think they got 1 month free no obligation.. take that offer for now
internet solutions (townsville) - im with them and would rather be with telstra..long story (still waiting for adsl2+ for 7 months)
raw net (townsville) - better but not worth the same money for less ie. about same money for less downloads, slower speed, but reliable and they actually give you adsl2+
AOL (australia) - why not burn your money
dodo - as above just burn it
some other local and generic ISP's
well some are dodge, some even go bust, some are good....but in the end 50%+ maybe more maybe less are still governed by the telstra network..just depends where your money goes

NOTE: as almost everyone has said DO NOT GET WIRELESS
Minor clarifcation:

Broadband: Any (usually domestic) connection that is faster than the original PSTN dialup system including ADSL, ISDN, Cable, Satellite 802.11 etc.

ADSL: Assymetric digital subscriber loop, a methodology for delivering data at different up/down ratio over legacy copper by modulating at frequencies above audio (almost) and in the case of Australia encapsulating with PPPOE or PPPOA.

DSL: The basic technology group that ADSL belongs to, also know as xDSL. There are 40 bazillion different versions e.g. SDSH, SHDSL, VDSL...... All share the common technology of using copper pairs.

ADSL2+: Newer technology that allows increased throughput at the expense of distance. Ye canna change the laws 'o physics keptin.

T1: 1.544 Mbps symmetric assynchronus connection that is usually divided into 24 64k channels (this is why many early micas were only 24 channel). This is a yank standard, none in Australia

E1: 2.048 Mbps as above but divided into 32 channels (Telstra OnRamp 30 or PRI) or unchannelised (Megalink). In Australia megalinks are normally use G703 modulation but occaisionally use G704 if framing is required. It can be delivered over copper, fibre or radio.

T3: 44.736 Mbps or 32 T1s, again yank standard

E3: 34 Mbps or 16 E1s.

E1/E3 are normally only used in commercial situations due to cost of CPE and carriage.

As far as which ISP......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #54
EXECJIM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Great advice there, i have been on 12 gig, then to 20 and now im on 40 :

Oh yeah, just 1 other thing is i am sick to death of sending emails to Big pond freinds and half the time there emails bounce back.

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME/MONEY ON BIG POND
Old 18-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #55
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXECJIM
Great advice there, i have been on 12 gig, then to 20 and now im on 40 :

Oh yeah, just 1 other thing is i am sick to death of sending emails to Big pond freinds and half the time there emails bounce back.

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME/MONEY ON BIG POND
Yeah thanks for the info guys, thats one big thing I have learned about what size service to get! Ive picked up loads of great info here guys, its brilliant. I wont be getting caught with some small plan.

The problem is that some are for and some are soooo against Telstra and Im hearing everything that is said either way! LOL.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #56
Turbot

Dudes I cant belive people are paying $70 odd dollars for broad band, unless you want 1500 speed. And hell dont go with bigpong which are overly expensive and give you stuff all download and charge an arm and aleg if you go over.
HERE - EXETEL - 8GIG /MTH +++ UNTIMED BETWEEN 2AM-10AM (DOWNLOAD AS MUCH AS YOU WANT) FOR $35!!!!!!!!! R4U PLAN ONLY 6MTH CONTRACT 512 SPEED.
Cant beat that, well you can their are a couple cheaper but the cheaper ones share with many other isps and you can get crappy service at time like when all schoolies come home and the cheaper ones can bandwith shape your down load so if you use a download program to get MP3 music that will come down slow. EXETEL HAS NO SHAPING full speed all the time.
If you do sign up on one of their plans please put in recomender phone number 0266519659, It'll get you an me a discount.
Cheers Steve
Turbot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #57
EXECJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Yeah thanks for the info guys, thats one big thing I have learned about what size service to get! Ive picked up loads of great info here guys, its brilliant. I wont be getting caught with some small plan.

The problem is that some are for and some are soooo against Telstra and Im hearing everything that is said either way! LOL.
Ok, just sent a few emails off tonite, and guess what and who's emails bounced back :

Yep the Big pond user's only again!
And the one and only Roderz was in that list of Big pond user's, and what i have been doing for a while now, if it bounces back, thats it, they miss out :

Jim
Old 19-07-2006, 04:28 AM   #58
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXECJIM
Ok, just sent a few emails off tonite, and guess what and who's emails bounced back :

Yep the Big pond user's only again!
And the one and only Roderz was in that list of Big pond user's, and what i have been doing for a while now, if it bounces back, thats it, they miss out :

Jim
Must be using Bigpond's anti-spaming option. I am, and it works a treat. As does there antivirus for e-mail. Never get e-mail bourne viriis....
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #59
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Have a look at www.iinet.net.au...

They have some good plans, and they are also rolling out their own DSLAMS in major cities.

I have a deal with our home phone, , I think we pay $69 a month for 20Gb offline and 20Gm on line, , and a 1.5gb connection..

Rocks

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #60
5.0failane

Work recently installed a wireless 8000k broadband2 link for me at home with a 50gb per month limit. It's through amcom. I'm not sure exactly what it costs about $70 per month but u certainly need a higher download limit with quicker speeds. I used to think 10gb per month would be plenty, until you realise it only takes about 20 seconds to download a 10mb file...
5.0failane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post