Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by goXF
Bendigo I believe.
I haven't driven to Bendigo in ages so I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Could be any town really, you tell me a town that doesn't have 100klm limited road's leading into it, you said the driver should have found another route that more suited their speed, you tell me a town that has 70 klmh road's leading into it????????.
Melbourne has a 80kph road leading into it!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 20-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #32
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rod did you give the guy in the rodeo enough time to pass himself or did you just blast pass him, because really he had the right off way to pass the vehicle infront 1st
Yep .. I agree .. I was at fault too. I did wait for the Rodeo, but obviously not long enough. One of my points is that "performance" cars (SV8??) can accelerate faster than average and this confuses people. Typically when I pass I like to get around cars quickly and keep off the wrong side of the road.
Quote:
and this seem's to be a bad road or time off day that you travel on because this is the 2nd or so bad post you've made about going to work.
Yep .. it is. I'm learning this drive through the country can be somewhat dangerous. The main problem appears to be speed differencials. Half the drivers sit well below the speed limit and the other half sit dead on it (like me) or above. I used to drive to Tullamarine Airport at 6:30am from Riddells Creek along the "Romsey Rd" .. far more traffic but no real problems because EVERYONE sat on the speed limit. No one really got pizzed off ..

.. I'll try and keep my "experiences" to myself in the future

Rod.
Old 20-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #33
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Yep .. it is. I'm learning this drive through the country can be somewhat dangerous. The main problem appears to be speed differencials. Half the drivers sit well below the speed limit and the other half sit dead on it (like me) or above.
.. I'll try and keep my "experiences" to myself ..
Having grown up in the country and spending most of my driving there ( early days ) i find the worst drivers are city drivers who rarley drive out back, they usually go like a bull at a gate , ie a bit of free room, they do similar as you describe are impatient to overtake and i have seen many people who have / nearly have accidents due to this and or they just plain come unstuck, because they are not used to the speed for long periods combined with the ( usually ) poor roads.
Old 20-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #34
turboute
turboute

Quote:
Now hang on a minute, I know it may be annoying for driver's to sit on a lower speed than indicated but we don't know their posistion and reasoning for it, and really 70klm is allright, it's up to the driver's behind to wait PATIENTLY for a safe overtaking period, there is no law that state's a driver can not drive at 70klm in a 100klm zone, and I know it is annoying but we just have to learn to be patient, and Rod did you give the guy in the rodeo enough time to pass himself or did you just blast pass him, because really he had the right off way to pass the vehicle infront 1st, if you had off collided, I wouldn't like to be you trying to explain it to the cop's, with all the witness's there I think they would be looking at you causing the incident if it happened, we just have to learn to slow down and wait, and this seem's to be a bad road or time off day that you travel on because this is the 2nd or so bad post you've made about going to work.
It can be dangerous - many people will bunch up behind these cars and often there will not be a chance to overtake for a long time. On the main road near my house this happens frequently thanks to the local senior citizens centre. Now what would happen if one of the local Roos jumped out in front of said slow vehicle? - instant pileup.

There is a law that will stop people driving at rediculously low speed limits - called obstruction of traffic - my mates grandmother got caught twice for it (60 in a 100 zone). they did not renew her licence next time around because it was clear she was incapable of driving at the same speed as traffic. what would have happenned if she needed to take a right turn on a busy double lane road? she would have changed to the outside lane but people travelling at 40km/hr quicker than her trying to overtake her would have probably cleaned her up.

Difference of speed can cause accidents - it also counts for alot of traffic buildups during rush hours, which could also indirectly cause accidents as well.
Old 20-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #35
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1606
how fast is that in MPH?
approx 60 mph
it's roughly 6/10 th for the conversion.

to be accurate it is 62.5 mph
Old 20-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #36
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I haven't driven to Bendigo in ages so I'm not 100% sure.

Melbourne has a 80kph road leading into it!
Yeah and I bet it started as a 100klm road, my point is this road or should I say all road's leading into bendigo are posted at 100klm, and you said the driver should have found another route, how can they when all road's are 100klm,.
Old 20-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #37
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
It can be dangerous - many people will bunch up behind these cars and often there will not be a chance to overtake for a long time. On the main road near my house this happens frequently thanks to the local senior citizens centre. Now what would happen if one of the local Roos jumped out in front of said slow vehicle? - instant pileup.

There is a law that will stop people driving at rediculously low speed limits - called obstruction of traffic - my mates grandmother got caught twice for it (60 in a 100 zone). they did not renew her licence next time around because it was clear she was incapable of driving at the same speed as traffic. what would have happenned if she needed to take a right turn on a busy double lane road? she would have changed to the outside lane but people travelling at 40km/hr quicker than her trying to overtake her would have probably cleaned her up.

Difference of speed can cause accidents - it also counts for alot of traffic buildups during rush hours, which could also indirectly cause accidents as well.
Yes there is a law for driving to slow but I doubt you would get pinged for 30klm under in those condition's, I don't know about you but I don't do 100klm at dawn in roo country, and your case that you stated about your grandmother was probably because off her age more than the speed she was doing, but it's a different scenrio than what we are talking about here so I'm not going to comment, but there is no law that say's you can not be stung for doing 70klm in a 100klm zone, like I said earlier if those people think it is allright to do what nearly happened in this thread, I'd like to see you explain it to the cop's when you come unstuck, end off story.
Old 20-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #38
jim1606
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
approx 60 mph
it's roughly 6/10 th for the conversion.

to be accurate it is 62.5 mph
and that is your max speed limit?
Old 20-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #39
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah and I bet it started as a 100klm road, my point is this road or should I say all road's leading into bendigo are posted at 100klm, and you said the driver should have found another route, how can they when all road's are 100klm,.
Very Very Easy! Get off the road if you cant sit atleast close to the speed limit. If its the cars fault then get a new car if its drivers fault hand your license in...That was very simple!!
Old 20-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #40
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
Very Very Easy! Get off the road if you cant sit atleast close to the speed limit. If its the cars fault then get a new car if its drivers fault hand your license in...That was very simple!!
No it's not that easy, everybody has the right to drive on our road's if they hold a valid licence, some people can not afford to just go and spend money on a new vehicle if the one they have is not up to your standard, If I wanted to sit on 70klm in the early morning's, and someone did what they did in this case I'd get out and flog the crap out off them, and trust me I have been in a lot off road rage to say that, I personally sit on roughly 80klm when it's early in the morning and I know there is roo's around and if someone sat up my **** and hassled me, well let's just say I've allready said what I'd do, this person had every right to do the speed they were doing, it's up to the following driver's to wait patiently and pass when safe to do so, It's that simple.
Old 20-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #41
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Another note to point about all you lot that think doing 70klm in a 100klm should be off the road, what is your thought's on older/classic vehicle's and their owner's/driver's that like to get out and cruise in there historic machine's that obviously can not do the speed limit, or what would you say about an old bloke in a classic XK Falcon ute(for example) that he bought brand new and just like's to cruise at 70odd on the hwy, Do you think that he and his classic shouldn't be on the road HUH, ????????.
Old 20-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #42
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
and that is your max speed limit?
That is the normal speed limit on open roads, similar to your 'A' roads.
There are some designated freeways in Victoria that go up to 110 km/hr which is 68.4 mph.

However if you go even slightly over the 100 or 110 kph (68 mph) limit by 3 kmph (2mph), you are most likely to get fined by a speed camera . That is the stupidity we have over here. You are not even allowed to overtake safely!!

I know in England if you are going at 70mph on the motorways, you are one of the slowest cars and most are passing at a somewhat faster speed.
Old 20-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #43
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have to agree with galaxy_xr8, some times i drive WELL under the speed limit, but I drive to the conditions of course, so if its foggy, evening/night/dawn, unknown road, dirt roads... there's a million reason to drive slower than the designated speed limit.

And as for the classic/veteran/vintage car comment, exactly right once again, some of these cars can have a top speed of 60km/h, and to have some jerk not realise that those cars can only got at the speed is just stupidity, but that is not the case here...

As when it comes to overtaking if there is a car in front of you that is travelling behind the slower car, maybe its best to hang back for a while, to see if they are going to overtake the slower car in front of them first, and if they do overtake, wait a while to ensure they have given you a decent gap. Seriously not that hard....

On country roads you have to be extra careful, remember that there are things like farm machinery, tractors, trucks, and even livestock on the road, so take your time, and save everyone the heartache
Old 20-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #44
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
I would have to agree with galaxy_xr8, some times i drive WELL under the speed limit, but I drive to the conditions of course, so if its foggy, evening/night/dawn, unknown road, dirt roads... there's a million reason to drive slower than the designated speed limit.

And as for the classic/veteran/vintage car comment, exactly right once again, some of these cars can have a top speed of 60km/h, and to have some jerk not realise that those cars can only got at the speed is just stupidity, but that is not the case here...

As when it comes to overtaking if there is a car in front of you that is travelling behind the slower car, maybe its best to hang back for a while, to see if they are going to overtake the slower car in front of them first, and if they do overtake, wait a while to ensure they have given you a decent gap. Seriously not that hard....

On country roads you have to be extra careful, remember that there are things like farm machinery, tractors, trucks, and even livestock on the road, so take your time, and save everyone the heartache
Well said. There are all sorts of vehicles that can be on the road.

The real problem happens when drivers pull out without indicating for a sufficient time first. Also they pull out without looking, or, as I saw tonight coming home, pulling out knowing there was a car right next to them.

The road rules are clear: Indicate first, and then pull out only when safe to pull out.
Old 20-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #45
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It's really just a matter of common courtesy and pateint's, it's not that hard.
Old 20-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #46
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Good luck making it the Rodeo's fault

On Vic Roads it is illegal to pass more than one vehicle at the one time, you passed two - sorry but you would of caused the accident

Insurance and Vic Roads would agree...........

Of course if it was more than one lane then you can pass as many vehicle's as you like..........this does not mean two lanes one each way it means more than one lane for the direction you are travelling
Not sure what you're on about. If the cars are behind eachother, arent you passing only one vehicle at a time?

If you read the Vicroads guide to road rules, link: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf...inginVicRR.pdf pages 55, 56 and 57, it in fact says to watch out for vehicles that may be overtaking yourself, before you commence to overtake the car in front. It mentions about the vehicle behind that may be wanting to pass you and the vehicle in front. There is no mention that this is not permitted.

It also says to use your right indicator to let others know you are about to overtake.

Given the information, surely the Rodeo would have been at fault.

If you have evidence to the contrary, please supply this evidence, so I can then adjust my driving habits.
Old 21-07-2006, 12:45 AM   #47
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
someone did what they did in this case I'd get out and flog the crap out off them, and trust me I have been in a lot off road rage to say that, I .
Your not the only tough bloke around...Whenever I get pulled over by Police extra cars come when they see my history..I take anyone win lose or draw and if someones sitting 30kmh bellow the limit like they are the only car around and want to go me God couldnt help them! I just love action :evilsasmo
Old 21-07-2006, 12:56 AM   #48
jim1606
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
That is the normal speed limit on open roads, similar to your 'A' roads.
There are some designated freeways in Victoria that go up to 110 km/hr which is 68.4 mph.

However if you go even slightly over the 100 or 110 kph (68 mph) limit by 3 kmph (2mph), you are most likely to get fined by a speed camera . That is the stupidity we have over here. You are not even allowed to overtake safely!!

I know in England if you are going at 70mph on the motorways, you are one of the slowest cars and most are passing at a somewhat faster speed.
Yeah i know even the speed cameras are set at 81mph!
Old 21-07-2006, 09:54 AM   #49
8pAc
RDP #181

I had a dip**** taxi driver yesterday barely sitting on 80 in a 100 zone. I have never felt more endangered by going slower before in my life, cars are flogging it past with a 20-30 speed difference and people are doing crazy moves to avoid us as we come around bends and such. I put up with it for like 2 mins and gave this guy heaps and that if i was paying his fare he needs to go the speed limit and he proceeds to crap on that this is somehow safer than matching speeds with everyone else on a bone dry sunny day.
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
Old 21-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #50
jim1606
Jim

Yeah, i was stuck behind someone doing 50mph on the A1 (the road from london to scotland) and a lorry was stuck next to her overtaking on a hill and it was the first time i really felt in danger from going to slow, but what are you suppoosed to do in that situation???
Old 21-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #51
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Yeah i know even the speed cameras are set at 81mph!
I could live with that! So thats about 130kmh?

In SA our speed limits are set at 110kmh in the country and the speed cameras are not so bad. They are set at 10% plus 3kmh, so in a 110 zone, a camera would be set at 124kmh. Ive actually been through a camera a few times doing 125 (on my speedo) but that is probably more like 122 or so as the speedos are a bit optimistic. Mine shows as 3km over according to my GPS unit.

: Cobra :
Old 21-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #52
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Might have been a clapped out 180B , but this happened to me years ago in my XD wagon , going back to Sydney from Bathurst via "Bells Line of road", 1am in the morning , pouring rain , and next thing I knew I couldn't get more than 60k's up hill (those who don't know the road , it isn't good) apparently the points had moved . Next thing I knew there was a line of cars behind me , and I pulled over whenever I could , but some places there's no where to go . Cars were passing in "crazy places" and some passing 3-4 cars at a time . Sometimes a little patience is needed , cos not all the time people drive slow intentionally .
Not intentional i know this well, Early this year after doing my Transmission with no RACV of any type(Which i have now) I was only able to do 60kp/h on my way back from CamperDown.
One thing i didn't do even when we had 1 lane was hold up anyone, And the trucks were very appreciating when i moved way over and waved them past and not to hold them up.
But what it does show is building up traffic on high speed roads can bring more danger, I believe if the police see a slow car they will pull them over.
Old 21-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #53
Bobman
Regulator

Isn't it illegal to do under a cetain amount on a freeway, like you can be fined for slowing under 80km in a 100 zone?

Fairly sure there is some penalty associated to slow driving.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 21-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #54
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's really just a matter of common courtesy and pateint's, it's not that hard.
Sitting on a reasonable speed and not holding up other drivers is also a matter of common courtesy.

On the rare occasions when I've had car trouble's that have prevented me from driving at the speed limit on the highway I've pulled over when I can and let cars past even when I've had a trailer on.

It's just pure ignorance not to.
Old 21-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #55
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

its funny talking about overtaking more than one car at a time, my CFI EA would barely do that, no pick up at all... what annoys me though is when people are doing 80km/h in a 100 zone that turns into a 60 zone and are still doing 80km/h...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 21-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #56
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Your not the only tough bloke around...Whenever I get pulled over by Police extra cars come when they see my history..I take anyone win lose or draw and if someones sitting 30kmh bellow the limit like they are the only car around and want to go me God couldnt help them! I just love action :evilsasmo
I never said I was a tough guy mate, I just get very ****ed off in a split second when I'm provoked in sitution's like this, call me pyscho, but you surley must be a tough guy if police need to call on backup when they pull you over
Old 21-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #57
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Provoked how because you sit 30kmh under the limit then want to blue someone who has to overtake you and the other 10 cars youve caused to bank up because of such ignorence and lack of common courtesy?
Old 21-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #58
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Provoked how because you sit 30kmh under the limit then want to blue someone who has to overtake you and the other 10 cars youve caused to bank up because of such ignorence and lack of common courtesy?
Rer-read what I said mate, I said if someone sat up my **** and hasslled me and tailgated me in the situation we were talking about, YES I'd say I was dam well provoked, stop thinking this is about driving in the middle of the day,or on a bloody city fwy, I'd suggest to you that you go back and read all the post, especially mine, and take in what I said about what I'd do if this happened to me, because I can tell you now, if a god dam roo happened to hop out which this area we are talking about is known for and the ***** behind me was tailgating and harrassing me and I couldn't stop in time and he rear ended me, well like I said that ***** would be lying on the ground, common courtesy wouldn't mean a thing to me then.
Old 21-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #59
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In this case with your hypothetical Roo {even leaving out all the other hypotheticals excuses youve added to this tread that didnt happen in the original post such as classic cars,etc} Why wouldnt you move over or wave them on etc and let them go and show a bit of courtesy if they want to get past you? Every post you have made is some crap hypothetical that didnt happen or what youd do which again reverts to the ignorance of its all about you and what youd do and whats best for you rather than everyone...There are other drivers on the road if you dont want to do the limit for any reason {Car,Roo,Classic Car etc} then respect others and move/pull over wouldnt you agree? Youd have your work cut out leaving people on the ground d in the city and drove so ignorant.
Old 21-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #60
guym

OzJavelin

5. Person in SV8 is a compete idiot. Trying to over take 2 cars at once. If there was an accident it was your fault. Patience is a virtue and ensures every one gets where they want to alive.

Yes people going slow annoy us all, but there maybe a good reason for it. Sounds like you need to be off the road not on it acting like an idiot.
Closed Thread