Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev3n
I thought it was a nice touch by Mercedes-Benz to take out a full page ad wishing the Falcon a happy 50th birthday.
Yeah true.

There's actually a thread on that.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...light=mercedes
Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see why Wheels put a Commodore on the cover. It is a new upcoming model. Whether its Ford or Holden or any other manufacturer, Wheels and Motor are more dedicated to NEW car buyers. Not old car tragics. I don't remember the cover (don't read that mag), but the fact they dedicated so many pages to Falcons 50th is pretty awesome.

If standing back at the Newsagent you could see that the issue had a story on Falcons past 50 years, they did their job.

After all, who really cares what they publish or favour, unless you are buying a brand new car and want a journos opinion.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
Wardo

I love my Fords just as much as the next man, but some of the one eyed fanatism is just embarrrasing.

The coverage of the Falcon anniversary was very extensive and was clearly advertised on the cover. As a side it was interesting to note that every time there was a model change (xc-xd-ea,etc) they tried to push an imported model on us.

I regularly read Wheels and Motor and cannot remember the last time a Commodore won a comparison with the Falcon (Unless it was V8 vs V8).
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the problem?

I would seriously hate to see the reaction if there was no mention of the Falcon turning 50 at all on the cover.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Do you know if that rendering of the SS is accurate?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

No its not which is what I found most amusing, In the times since it has hit the stand 100% true to form renderings have hit the WWW and the two have little in common.

Well done Benz also it was a nice touch, and well said tranquilized....

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Do you know if that rendering of the SS is accurate?
Who cares ? Certainly not them as it is a means of getting yet another GM product on the cover .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
teamkiwiracing
Starter Motor

Why buy it when you can read it online: http://wheels-fordfalcon50years.com/
teamkiwiracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
nickd
Passionate Ford XD XE nut

I was lucky enough to be part of the 50 years of Ford that Wheels for its current issue for its photoshoot as I was there for it.

All mags do there best to hit the market catergory with each and every model not all of us are blue oval blood but to have a special 75 page spread thats just amazing to get every Ford built together at once if you also notice other mags like Street Machine are currently doing a 50 years of Ford aswell but just goes to show that these mags are all doing there bit for Ford and for Australian NZ readers.

You would have noticed that Ford did a 50 years celebration aswell all TV channels did there part to be part of Fords celebrations so it doesn't really matter whats on the front cover its what coverage counts.

My views.

(Admin of ESPGhia.com)

http://espghia.com/forum.php
nickd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #10
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of these responses are a bit red hot. I must have hit a raw nerve as there's a fair few people in this thread having a big old sooky-la-la based on an observation that differs from their own.

I don't buy wheels, haven't done for a long time, and for me this cover just vindicates my decision. I find it annoying that much of the Australian media that you see in print, and on the net, won't ever have an article about an Australian Ford product without the obligatory Holden Segway. In this case a so called "Scoop" depicting a fake picture of a Commondore!

I find it interesting that some people got a bit fired up on this one. Doesn't anyone even find it the teeniest bit unusual that a magazine, supposedly devoted to all brands, manages to run a trumped up story on the Falcon's main opposition as the cover shot in an issue that celebrates 50 years of Falcons?

This fake Scoop could have been about any brand of car, but noooo. Either Holden paid for that spot on the cover, Wheels were trying to lure their main readership (so called Bogans who drive Holdens), or Wheels just have a big red stripe that runs down their backs. All good enough reasons from me to stay away from the Wheels brand.

As for the Bogans buying print media, seems everyone who's every one is a Bogan nowadays. But lets say for arguments sake Bogans are the only people who buy Wheels off the shelf. I'd say these Bogans wouldn't have even realised that the issue had a big write up on the Falcon until they picked it up. The position these magazines sit on the shelf virtually covers up the the Falcon story.

Which leads me to ask the question, why didn't they run the pictures in the opposite positions? Seems to me that a "collectors" edition would have warranted having the main picture related to the subject. I'm pretty sure the VE "collectors" edition, managed to put a Commondore on the cover. Wheels just can't seem to do it when the subject is a Falcon.

Shoot me down all you want boys, but its pretty clear certain media organisations don't get near enough advertising money from Ford Australia. And its no wonder why!

Last edited by OZQUAD44; 12-07-2010 at 03:54 AM. Reason: added last line
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44
Some of these responses are a bit red hot. I must have hit a raw nerve as there's a fair few people in this thread having a big old sooky-la-la based on an observation that differs from their own.

I don't buy wheels, haven't done for a long time, and for me this cover just vindicates my decision. I find it annoying that much of the Australian media that you see in print, and on the net, won't ever have an article about an Australian Ford product without the obligatory Holden Segway. In this case a so called "Scoop" depicting a fake picture of a Commondore!

I find it interesting that some people got a bit fired up on this one. Doesn't anyone even find it the teeniest bit unusual that a magazine, supposedly devoted to all brands, manages to run a trumped up story on the Falcon's main opposition as the cover shot in an issue that celebrates 50 years of Falcons?

This fake Scoop could have been about any brand of car, but noooo. Either Holden paid for that spot on the cover, Wheels were trying to lure their main readership (so called Bogans who drive Holdens), or Wheels just have a big red stripe that runs down their backs. All good enough reasons from me to stay away from the Wheels brand.

As for the Bogans buying print media, seems everyone who's every one is a Bogan nowadays. But lets say for arguments sake Bogans are the only people who buy Wheels off the shelf. I'd say these Bogans wouldn't have even realised that the issue had a big write up on the Falcon until they picked it up. The position these magazines sit on the shelf virtually covers up the the Falcon story.

Which leads me to ask the question, why didn't they run the pictures in the opposite positions? Seems to me that a "collectors" edition would have warranted having the main picture related to the subject. I'm pretty sure the VE "collectors" edition, managed to put a Commondore on the cover. Wheels just can't seem to do it when the subject is a Falcon.

Shoot me down all you want boys, but its pretty clear certain media organisations don't get near enough advertising money from Ford Australia. And its no wonder why!
Top post IMO. The highlighted portion makes it 110% clear. Yes it is all about selling magazines. Its a shame since Wheels did do a pretty good job of covering the 50years of Falcon. The whole debacle over bias may very well be null and void given there will always be this perception by some, regardless over the truth of it (and their often is some truth). Witness the slanging of officials in sport every time people watch the telly.

However, as Ozquad points out, why the ludicrous bait and switch? If Holden didn't buy the space (and in theory you can't do that on a magazine editorial cover), and it isn't 'bias' (via patronage or otherwise), then why is the VE there? We see hundreds of new car launches each year (not just updates), and there are spy pics and CGI of just about all of them at some point. So its a local model, fair enough....but the front cover for an 'update' (which will likely include squat under the skin engineering wise for the SS) is a long shot.... If it is a case of 'Holden's on the cover sell magazines' then why on earth is there such an extensive story on the falcon in the first place? Why do over half the mag on a Ford product if Holden is the way to go?

I suspect its a case of the marketers not giving two hoots about the atcual journo stories. They want what they want on the cover and make a wheels staffer 'make up' a story to get it. Which is what the VE2 story is if you look inside the mag (no i didn't buy it i borrowed one...). As was noted, if the reverse was true (celebrating a major milestone from Holden), who would place a sizeable bet they would put the FG2 update (complete with ecoboost 4pot falcon, new 5.0 v8 etc.) CGI on the cover?..... Yeah, thought so.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44

What I said in my first post may have been taking the mickey and a little in jest, but OZQUAD44 raises some very salient points here.
There is something a little odd about placing an incorrect render of a potential car in the advertising space above the actual product of which the special edition is about.

Then again, rather than get upset about the interpretation of a bunch of holden fans and how they try diminish Fords achievements we can comfort ourselves with some facts;
1/ Ford made a profit last year, Holden got 200 million from the govt to stave off bankruptcy.
2/ Ford has the ZF box, Holden does not.
3/ Ford makes 6's that are better than Holden V8's
4/ Ford offer technology that Holden aren't capable of.
5/ Ford have a new V8 coming, Holden have no new pushrod crate motors.
6/ Ford's parent in the states is the only car company to turn a profit and reduce debt, Holdens parent GM went bankrupt and is only trading today thanks to the US government buying them. Even still their R&D dept has all but shut down so same old crap cars that no one wants from GM.
7/ Fords 6 cylinder engine that kills all the opposition is proudly cast and built here in Oz, none of the opposition can make that claim.

I could put many more down but you get the point. No matter how Wheels or Motor try to spin it, Ford has its own merits and achievements that it can be really proud of. Besides selling more cars (at a loss), what has the opposition got to be proud of besides always being on the cover of Wheels magazine?

Quote: