Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #31
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Global Warming is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
If scientists can put a man on the moon and also say that the earth is warming due to us then Im all for the carbon tax.
A carbon tax, which reimburses a huge slice of the population for their increased power costs, does nothing to change these peoples consumption habits.

If global warming is due to people, then we are all responsible, regardless of our income level and we should all contribute to fixing the problem. Thats the only way to get the majority on board with reduction of CO2.

I would happily support a carbon tax that reimbursed NOONE, and instead poured all that money into technologies that addressed the problem.

If you're at all interested, you should check out the documentary Cool It (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1694015/). The presenter doesnt argue one way or the other who or what is causing climate change. Instead, he focusses on what can be done to reverse the change. There's already loads of research/development being done in this area, but it is very poorly funded, compared to the paper-pushing we're doing at the moment that is achieving nothing.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #32
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Not to go too far off topic, but you know this how?
well I'm not part of the US government with access to secret documentation but from all reports he was given plenty of warning they were going to strike

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/op...ngs.html?_r=2&

Quote:
The direct warnings to Mr. Bush about the possibility of a Qaeda attack began in the spring of 2001. By May 1, the Central Intelligence Agency told the White House of a report that “a group presently in the United States” was planning a terrorist operation. Weeks later, on June 22, the daily brief reported that Qaeda strikes could be “imminent,” although intelligence suggested the time frame was flexible.

But some in the administration considered the warning to be just bluster. An intelligence official and a member of the Bush administration both told me in interviews that the neoconservative leaders who had recently assumed power at the Pentagon were warning the White House that the C.I.A. had been fooled; according to this theory, Bin Laden was merely pretending to be planning an attack to distract the administration from Saddam Hussein, whom the neoconservatives saw as a greater threat. Intelligence officials, these sources said, protested that the idea of Bin Laden, an Islamic fundamentalist, conspiring with Mr. Hussein, an Iraqi secularist, was ridiculous, but the neoconservatives’ suspicions were nevertheless carrying the day.

In response, the C.I.A. prepared an analysis that all but pleaded with the White House to accept that the danger from Bin Laden was real.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #33
SIMBAD
RAPID GT-P

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This thread: BA-BF diff cradle removal for diff bushes 

Here's my thoughts, how much co2 is produced in this world by humans vs one volcanic eruption?
Also I'm not sure how much ice is on land, but I know there's a hell of a lot if ice in water. What happens to the level of water in a drinking glass with a handful of ice cubes that are floating? Then look at the level when the ice is all melted.
Anyways, that's my thoughts, and I am by no means real strong on the thought of this topic, but it is interesting to see what other people's thoughts are.
Full Difilippo big boy exhaust /4.5" body ballistic metal cats / boss 315 plenum & twin throttle body coupled to bpr airbox / powerbond underdrives / herrod 290 cams / malwood opt 3+ / hrs Pegasus rims 19x8.5 front - 9.5 rear / nitto invo 245-35-19F & 275-35-19R / whiteline swaybars/ Under bonnet bling / 4.11 harrop truetrac

Enhanced by BLUEPOWER

supercharged 363 dart takes on au work ute http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342906
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #34
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Every time the Global warming/Climate change/Pollution debate comes up I'm reminded of this picture and how much Australia can contribute to helping change it (not!)

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=55167
http://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images...rth_lights.jpg

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now we are getting somewhere, some solid facts and figures, that is what drives an arguement. Like everyone here, I want to know more about the science, the truth behind where we are heading.
It would be wrong to stand by and watch, if we are able to change things, to make a better world for our children, hot or cold.
Oh, and the 911 stuff is kinda off topic and distracting, but I'm sure there might be an old 911 thread somewhere we can dig up.
Cheers.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much is natural and how much man-made? Easy. A quick web search will give you the figures.

Quote:
"The consumption of terrestrial vegetation by animals and by microbes (rotting, in other words) emits about 220 gigatonnes of CO2 every year, while respiration by vegetation emits another 220 Gt. These huge amounts are balanced by the 440 Gt of carbon dioxide absorbed from the atmosphere each year as land plants photosynthesise.

Similarly, parts of the oceans release about 330 Gt of CO2 per year, depending on temperature and rates of photosynthesis by phytoplankton, but other parts usually soak up just as much - and are now soaking up slightly more.
They then go on to state that
Quote:
Human emissions of CO2 are now estimated to be 26.4 Gt per year, up from 23.5 Gt in the 1990s, according to an Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report in February 2007 (pdf format). Disturbances to the land - through deforestation and agriculture, for instance - also contribute roughly 5.9 Gt per year.
The source, New Scientist magazine, of course says that humans are evil for producing CO2, but they do "admit" that natural sources far outstrip anything humans are capable of ever doing.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #37
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I don't think it's called global warming anymore, climate change seems to be the fashionable term now. I think the original argument was not so much about its existence but rather its causes.
They stopped calling it global warming when they found out the temperature of the globe had dropped steadily by .3 of a degree over the last hundred years to 2010. Not per year, but .3 of a degree in 100 years!

As for all the other stuff.

Hole in the atmosphere is shown to be getting smaller for about the last 6 years.

The Volcano which disrupted air travel over Europe last year spewed out more damage to the environment in 10 days than mankind has produced in history.

We can be as careful as ever, and make 1 poofteenth of a difference upon our impact on the planet!

Last edited by MNM96; 04-12-2012 at 06:22 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My favorite is that if every nuclear weapon ever made was detonated at the same time the energy released would be less than a category 1 cyclone releases every hour.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #39
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
My favorite is that if every nuclear weapon ever made was detonated at the same time the energy released would be less than a category 1 cyclone releases every hour.
Yep, the actual facts about the planet are far more amazing (and frightening sometimes) than the doom-mongering of the proponents of global warming (whoops...I mean "climate change"...)
Old 04-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Global Warming is happening

Exactly the sort of information I want. Everything goes into the pot (cooking pot that is).
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im not a big believer in it all, but iam an avid follower of weather patterns in OZ, in particular QLD and yeah seems things arent what they were 5 years ago and weather patterns have changed somewhat.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 04-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

PNG have banned Garnaut from their country. I think they're onto something.......

I often wonder if the climate change people are also responsible for the political correctness change - both are sending this world to hell in a hand basket where common sense seems to be replaced by common nonsense.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 04-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #43
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not much radiation released by a cyclone.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #44
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmm why is Greenland called Greenland and not "Whiteland"?

Hint: Research climate over the last couple of thousand years not the last 15 minutes........
Wrong. Greenland was named to attract settlers by one of the first shonky real estate promotors.

Refer to "Etymology" in this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #45
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Im not a big believer in it all, but iam an avid follower of weather patterns in OZ, in particular QLD and yeah seems things arent what they were 5 years ago and weather patterns have changed somewhat.
Actually i would say it wasnt what it was like 20yrs ago...

We used to have a wet season when I was going to school.
Months of driving rain and localised flooding of roads (would ride me pushy through it and arrive drenched at school).

I think it was around 1990 or there abouts where the wet season was starting to die down. The past couple of yrs we have had a reasonable wet season, almost like it was 20yr ago.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I agree with Gooseman, snow in hell?

Thing is with my observations are in a smaller time frame aswell. Something must be going on surely.
SEQ is the driest ive seen in 5 years, minimal rainfall. Some pretty full on storms and predictions of 5 cyclones to hit QLD this wet season.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yes but they ARE very similar to what they were 33 years (3 sun cycles) ago.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #48
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMBAD View Post
Here's my thoughts, how much co2 is produced in this world by humans vs one volcanic eruption?
Also I'm not sure how much ice is on land, but I know there's a hell of a lot if ice in water. What happens to the level of water in a drinking glass with a handful of ice cubes that are floating? Then look at the level when the ice is all melted.
Anyways, that's my thoughts, and I am by no means real strong on the thought of this topic, but it is interesting to see what other people's thoughts are.
An article highlighting that humans add more CO2 than volcanoes.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/volc...al-warming.htm

Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Thinking we can do anything to affect it in a real way is foolish in the extreme...

Isn't that the thinking behind HAARP?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Wrong. Greenland was named to attract settlers by one of the first shonky real estate promotors.

Refer to "Etymology" in this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland
You mean the paragraph just above this bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by same article
The settlements, such as Brattahlíđ, thrived for centuries but disappeared sometime in the 15th century, perhaps at the onset of the Little Ice Age.[17] Interpretation of ice core and clam shell data suggests that between 800 and 1300 AD, the regions around the fjords of southern Greenland experienced a relatively mild climate several degrees celsius higher than usual in the North Atlantic,[18] with trees and herbaceous plants growing and livestock being farmed. Barley was grown as a crop up to the 70th parallel.[19] What is verifiable is that the ice cores indicate Greenland has experienced dramatic temperature shifts many times over the past 100,000 years
Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ah yes but they ARE very similar to what they were 33 years (3 sun cycles) ago.
Yeah maybe true, and as i said im not a huge believer in the tin foil brigade/worlds going to end.
Just that the seasonal changes have been different and the extremities in weather have been much more noticeable along with the severity of weather events.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #52
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not going to matter soon , the mayans reckon this month`s it game over
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #53
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

5 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #54
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Isn't that the thinking behind HAARP?
Shhush lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #55
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah maybe true, and as i said im not a huge believer in the tin foil brigade/worlds going to end.
Just that the seasonal changes have been different and the extremities in weather have been much more noticeable along with the severity of weather events.
We only have (from what I know) weather observations (in Australia) recorded for only the past 100yrs. Certainly a 100yrs ago it was just a person observation and maybe a barometer reading as well as a thermomitor?

Magnetic fields around the earth also move around (compas variation changes 1degree every 10yrs or so???)

I dont doubt we are ruining the planet and causing problems, but to what extent? Im no greenie either, but at the rate we consume things how much longer can we last?

Australia will be one big hole in the ground with no usable farm lands and our underground water ruined with chemicals if we are not careful.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #56
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos View Post
I'm surprised that's from someone in Albury - I would have expected it to be from a Qld'r!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #57
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I am aware Global warming has been happening for thousands of years.
I have heard that one day the world will begin a general cooling trend until the earth goes into another ice age.
This wont be for a long long time.

Pretty sure if it was as easy as everyone painting their roof white, it would of been done by now.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #58
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You mean the paragraph just above this bit
I do, indeed.

That proves the climate has varied there, but doesn't prove that Greenland was called Greenland because it was green, as the article references three other works that say it was, in effect, someone stretching the truth.

I am not 100% certain that human beings are the cause of climate change, but I am sure that it has changed in recent decades. I also could not be 100% certain it will continue to get warmer, but time will tell.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #59
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are parts of the world that are seeing cold weather that they have not seen before, yet you won`t hear a mention of this from the global warming bunch, the sea was already supposed to have risen a metre or two by now(still waiting boys).
Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #60
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos View Post
Sadly, as dumb as that letter is this guy is probably more qualified than the IPCC under-graduates and eminent stains like David Karoly and Flim Flammery.

Quote: