Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #31
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: QLD - Its time to go stickerless

I don't mind not having the sticker, I know my rego is due in August and QLD transport sends me a bill prior to it. The stickers were crap with peeling off from being parked in the sun all day. They were a PITA to peel off and get them anally put back dead set square and neat on the windscreen.

I only have one car and one rego to pay. How does the new QLD sticker rule apply to trailers/caravans/boats/jet ski's etc?

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #32
EA2BA
PM me if you want

This only applies to some vehicles, including:

cars
motorcycles
light trailers
light caravans
light buses
motorised wheelchairs
light commercial vehicles
conditionally registered vehicles
dealer/trader plates
special purpose vehicles

Heavy vehicles (over 4.5t gross vehicle mass) and recreational boats will still need to display registration labels.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
So now another burden on the taxpayer, with no reduction in price. Imagine Ben73 if last year you bought your Iphone with a recharger and this year they only sold you the phone,
You wouldn't be so laidback about it then, with a dead battery how would you remember anything.
Geez it gives me the poops when people don't consider the outcomes for the older generation. Just for your benefit I will point out what a fridge is for, BEER no one looks at what is on the outside of it and no older male has looked at a calendar since they outlawed girlies, who wants to be reminded tomorrows Monday. Hence the undue stress a number of people are suffering having another service taken away without consultation.
I don't buy an iphone every year, I don't know what that has to do with anything apart from being the usual go to jab at the 'younger' generation.
They are not selling you a car without wheels. If they were then the iphone charger reference might make sense.

All I was doing was pointing out a few ways to help people remember their rego date. If it was optional, I'd have no problem with that. I would still choose not to have one.
Maybe if you don't look at calendars or your fridge, maybe you could get a piece of paper an write "REGO DUE 2nd OCTOBER" and stick in some where in your car. Passenger dashboard, steering wheel, front window where the rego sticker used to go. Each individual would have the best idea of what they should do to help themselves remember.

The only real problem I see is not knowing whether the car you are borrowing is registered. People can check online(phone) to see if it is registered, but I know some people don't have smartphones or do have them, but don't care enough to learn how. Maybe if everyone kept the rego papers in the glove box you could check before driving the car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #34
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
It was nice having the rego stickers because it was an easy way to identify VIN, engine number and year when you needed to get parts, just go out there, snap a photo of the rego sticker with your phone and go back to order parts.
Take a pic of your rego papers when they come and keep it in your phone.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #35
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Someone mentioned earlier that how do they know if a car they're borrowing is registered?

It's always the responsibility of the driver of a vehicle to ensure it's registered (which it's always been). With stickers it was a touch easier, but in reality I remember that NSW sent you out stickers before you paid anyway so you technically driving a car with a sticker appearing to valid was no guarantee (a good defence though).

For those with smartphones - download your state/territory's relevant app and you'll always be able to confirm whether the car you're driving is registered.

For those desperate for stickers - an alternative is to search eBay for "REGO REMINDER" and you'll have some options.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #36
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
So now another burden on the taxpayer, with no reduction in price. Imagine Ben73 if last year you bought your Iphone with a recharger and this year they only sold you the phone,
You wouldn't be so laidback about it then, with a dead battery how would you remember anything.
Geez it gives me the poops when people don't consider the outcomes for the older generation. Just for your benefit I will point out what a fridge is for, BEER no one looks at what is on the outside of it and no older male has looked at a calendar since they outlawed girlies, who wants to be reminded tomorrows Monday. Hence the undue stress a number of people are suffering having another service taken away without consultation.
WOW.... holy crap....Seriously!

They send you a renewal in the post! You simply pay it!

No old sticker to remove or new sticker to stick on....the significant burden, undue stress and suffering of sticking a sticker has been alleviated.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #37
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
WOW.... holy crap....Seriously!

They send you a renewal in the post! You simply pay it!

No old sticker to remove or new sticker to stick on....the significant burden, undue stress and suffering of sticking a sticker has been alleviated.
Yeah, I'm also wondering what he does with all the other bills he receives by post. Does he struggle to remember to pay them too?

When we went sticker less here in SA, I went up to Bathurst with a mate. We had the cops look at the car as we entered the camp ground. He walked right around the car looking for the rego sticker. He then asked me where it was. It was fun telling him that they're no longer required in SA.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #38
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Yeah, I'm also wondering what he does with all the other bills he receives by post. Does he struggle to remember to pay them too?

When we went sticker less here in SA, I went up to Bathurst with a mate. We had the cops look at the car as we entered the camp ground. He walked right around the car looking for the rego sticker. He then asked me where it was. It was fun telling him that they're no longer required in SA.
I was thinking the same thing.

Lights don't work.....electricity must be due
Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #39
EA2BA
PM me if you want

One last thing

I just downloaded and tried the app from QLD Department of Transport and Main Roads

You only have to input either the Number Plate OR the VIN and it will tell you when the rego expires.

So if you have the app on your phone and need to borrow a car you can now check th rego is expired or not.

It also lists the VIN so you can check the VIN against the Number Plate if you want and that the car is roughly as expected i.e. 2010 Ford Ranger Utlity.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't even need an app for NSW. I just have the website link saved in my bookmarks, not that I use it very often. Although the app may be easier.

I just searched the number plate 'XR8' on the NSW rego check. This is what it came up with

Quote:
2000 GOLD FORD PASSENGER CAR 1 SEDAN
VIN/Chassis: ********1527
Free registration check report

The details for the vehicle you entered are displayed below.

Tare weight: 1500 kg
Gross vehicle mass:

Registration details

The registration expires on 11/04/2015.
There are no concessions on this registration.

CTP insurance details

The CTP policy period end date is 11/04/2015.
Insurer's name: NRMA
Insurer's code: 34

No idea who owns that car, but I found that detail within 20 seconds of looking.
Wouldn't be able to find out when my own water bill is due that quickly.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #41
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Found the QLD on line one, not different to the phone app

Quote:
Check registration status
View results

Plate number
XR6
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
6FPAAAJGSW4D45002
Description
2004 FORD FALCON SEDAN
Purpose of use
PRIVATE

Status
REGISTERED
Expiry
23/03/2015

Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #42
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Here in Victoria, Vicroads provide a couple of ways to help remind owners of their registration expiring.

1. You can set an expiry reminder on your smartphone or tablet, and also check your registration status at this site: http://vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

2. You can set a common expiry date for two or more vehicles, so the registrations become due at the same time: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...on-expiry-date

For the older owners here, remember when the stickers had to be removed by applying a folded wet tissue behind it, held on with some glad wrap and letting it soak for a while? That was the refined method after finding that scraping it off with a razor blade was rather messy, getting small pieces of sticker on the dash and all over the place.

Then the new sticker was applied by putting it in a saucepan of water for 20 seconds or so, then putting it onto the windscreen and sliding off the backing. Then wiping the residue off the sticker with a wet sponge and to get rid of the bubbles. A real process in those days.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #43
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I remember that, when I was old enough I was doing it on mum and dads car then when I got my own.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #44
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I frequently look at rego stickers to see what year a car I am admiring was built, so won't be able to do that anymore. Won't miss peeling that sticky ***** off every 12 months though
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Geez, all this Hi-tek stuff to see when your rego is due.

I do it the old fashioned way for my cars....I look at the rego papers !
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #46
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How to make thing complicated 101.....

Renewal arrives in mail...pay renewal.

No wonder QLD is backwards...
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #47
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the QLD site to check the details that were on the stickers. https://www.service.transport.qld.go...l?windowId=f9c

I actually received a new sticker in the mail yesterday!
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #48
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Lights don't work.....electricity must be due
HA ha, some of you take life SO seriously,. Yes it was tongue in cheek and obviously most missed it. It won't affect me because I am reasonably organised but I do remember in days gone by that when money was tight you would SEE that sticker every other day and it would remind you to put something aside for it.
It cracks me up that some need an app to remind them, kinda makes me wonder when they actually achieve in a work day apart from staring at their phone.
Like all changes I will adjust but I will be stuffed giving more money to a Telco downloading crap that I didn't have to pay for before.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #49
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i heard that no rego stickers combined with the new Mobile Automatic Number Plate Recognition (MANPR) units in police cars a generating quite a bit of $$$ for the govt. but i am sure that was in no way part of their decision making process............

ever wonder why you just see cop cars sitting in plane sight on the side of the free way all the time now...... its because $1200 fine for no rego is a lot better than $200ish for some boor bugger doing 10 over

Think about it, they could have kept sending the stickers out and just made them optional to use. Sure that would have cost more but if it provides a cost benifit to the community as a whole, its probably justified (oh wait, i have that back wards, cost benifit only works if its in favour of the govt not the public)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #50
herbicide

Actually interesting to search for your previously owned vehicles, did a search for my old 2wd Courier trayback, I took it off the road in 2005 and flogged it off 4 years later for $200.
It's still registered.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #51
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
i heard that no rego stickers combined with the new Mobile Automatic Number Plate Recognition (MANPR) units in police cars a generating quite a bit of $$$ for the govt. but i am sure that was in no way part of their decision making process............

ever wonder why you just see cop cars sitting in plane sight on the side of the free way all the time now...... its because $1200 fine for no rego is a lot better than $200ish for some boor bugger doing 10 over

Think about it, they could have kept sending the stickers out and just made them optional to use. Sure that would have cost more but if it provides a cost benifit to the community as a whole, its probably justified (oh wait, i have that back wards, cost benifit only works if its in favour of the govt not the public)
The police cars are there in NSW at least because the RMS requires them to be. Not driving, parked. And yes they get speeders and unregistered cars at the same time.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #52
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
Actually interesting to search for your previously owned vehicles, did a search for my old 2wd Courier trayback, I took it off the road in 2005 and flogged it off 4 years later for $200.
It's still registered.
Ha!

I just checked the rego to the old cortina our family owned about 20years ago as I still remember the number plate. It still came up on the SA Rego check as a green Ford. That car went to the wreckers!
Old 13-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #53
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
Actually interesting to search for your previously owned vehicles,
I did the same but none of my old cars show up except for my WRX. It was sold with personalised plates but it looks like it's now got the usual plates on them. But when I search for my old usual plates, it doesn't show that my car now has personalised plates.
Old 13-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #54
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sister got stung online because the transaction didn't go through. and appeal said tuff luck.
un rego unlicenced. caused a fuss as she was ordered out of the landcruiser with 4 children in upper hunter.

My other sister got stung Friday night because she borrowed my dads triton. she left her car with him as it look sad. dad purchased it last year.
It was regoed on the 1st oct a few weeks before he received it. Dad is 76 year old and not interested in B/S. the ute doesn't leave the farm-except when sister borrows it,
The issue being Friday was to pay on line took 2 mobile phones and an insurance company that wouldn't deal without the owner indentification code.finally my wife got involved and found it had payed 3 times and the RMS woulnt give a recept number without timing out.

I luv the internnnnnnnnn,
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post