Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #31
Spurious

Default Re: Dash Cams; What have you got!?

I use my Galaxy S2 i9100 phone.
8MP camera,
able to read number plates at about 15 to 20 metres & can zoom in on playback (whilst paused),
records for as long as I want, (car charger & storage to be considered)
can take a screenshot (still photo) after the fact if I see something worthy of passing on to police (number plate is everything- re: evidence) & can screenshot whilst zoomed in on a still image.

1 camera pointed out the front is sufficient I reckon.
Let's face it, if someone rear ends you, the evidence is there on your car, if someone T bones you, same thing, the playback will clear you of any negligence.

I made a mount for it to sit on my dash (foam base, double sided tape).

I always set/turn the "Outdoor visibility" ON to enhance the video.
I have the resolution on 1920x1080, this zooms in to a point that shows the vehicle in front as close as possible to its actual position. By that I mean, even with the res' set this way, the vehicle in front still appears to be further away than it actually is.

When recording, the buttons are right there on screen, so if I catch something worthy I can easily stop the recording & then instantly start it fresh again. This simply saves me having to sift through 10, 20, or 50 minutes worth of video afterwards to find that one incident.

I guess technically this is interfering with a mobile device whilst driving, but in reality it's no different then me pushing a button or 2 on my car stereo.
I always start the recording in my driveway, if I'm heading out, & I believe that touching the phone whilst it's mounted on my dash is safer than touching my car stereo, as I have to look down to touch the stereo !!!

If someone rings me whilst I'm using the camera, the video stops, as should I if I want to answer it.
When I stop recording, all I do is push the power button & the phone goes to sleep. So when I'm ready to record again, I just touch the button on the lower face, swipe the screen & hit record. Simple.

The only downside I have found with using the Galaxy is that after recording for 10 minutes, the lens gets rather hot. I certainly notice this when I stop driving & put the phone in my pocket.
Plus if I switch to the camera, adjust the settings I want (outdoor vis' etc) but then don't hit record, the phone reverts back to the menu/settings page, & therefore I have to re-select the camera & adjust my settings again.

I use Samsung Kies software to upload video to my PC, then upload it to movie maker so I can edit the video, insert screen shots, then email it to the police traffic division.

Plus if I put the phone on camera then put it to sleep, I am ready to film ANYTHING that crosses my path, even a bogun domestic dispute in Coles, or a robbery perhaps....who knows. The point is, I'm ready !!!

Last edited by Spurious; 21-01-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #32
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX310 View Post
do the police have the power to confiscate the dashcam data for possible further prosecution?

YES they do.
If they suspect it holds evidence of a crime that may be paramount to form a case in court, yes they do have the right to confiscate it.
If you have been stopped for an alleged speeding offence & the police see you deleting video as they approach you, you may also be charged with destroying evidence. They would first need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt though that there was evidence on it to begin with.

It's a simple rule folks, whilst using a dash cam, follow the bloody rules!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Or swallow the SD Card if its a miniSD
Thats pushing the friendship!! Id just throw it down the aircon demister vents!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #34
Deo

If you really loved me you'd do it ;)

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #35
elfinke

FWIW, I bought one of the new capacitor (rather than battery) based A118C dash cams today. $90 shipped from gear best, should be here next week. I'll bang up a report here if anyone is interested, though there are plenty of reviews out there on the older battery based A118 model already.
elfinke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #36
JAYMZ
My Deception

If you do go for a dash cam. Spend that little bit more and get dual cam. Preferably one that records inside the cabin.

I have always had that funny feeling a cop will think i'm holding my phone when waiting at lights. Everyone does it, holding their head up with their hand/arm after a long days work stuck in traffic.

Plus just recently used the rear footage to assist another driver with insurance in a 3 car accident i was rear ended with.

And never go cheap on the SD card. Having at least 32GB class 10 will ensure you can save enough data before you back it up on PC without having to do this task weekly.

Dash Cams are a good way to provide reassurance if used honestly. No point if your one that constantly speeds, runs the red, or wants to create a scene with other drivers. But each to their own.
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #37
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

None - the whole concept is un-Australian, imo fwiw.

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #38
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
YES they do.
If they suspect it holds evidence of a crime that may be paramount to form a case in court, yes they do have the right to confiscate it.
If you have been stopped for an alleged speeding offence & the police see you deleting video as they approach you, you may also be charged with destroying evidence. They would first need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt though that there was evidence on it to begin with.

It's a simple rule folks, whilst using a dash cam, follow the bloody rules!
Don't the police also claim GPS isn't accurate for speed...
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #39
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has anyone used a GOPRO for a dash cam? I've bought a few over the years and not thrilled with the expensive one (On-site) or the Honkers cheapies. I recently used a GOPRO and the image was far better. The only prob is that it doesn't auto start.
Cheers
Geoff

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Geoff View Post
has anyone used a GOPRO for a dash cam? I've bought a few over the years and not thrilled with the expensive one (On-site) or the Honkers cheapies. I recently used a GOPRO and the image was far better. The only prob is that it doesn't auto start.
Cheers
Geoff
I used one for a while, but it was too much stuffing around. Turning it on and off, deleting footage, charging it. I know have a standard dashcam which is no where near the same quality.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #41
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I was considering using my gopro as a dash cam but it's not practical for the reasons outlined above

Plus you don't want to leave a gopro stuck on your windscreen it would be gone in an instant, and it's too much trouble to disconnect it and carry it around with you every time you stop

Another thing is that the gopro runs extremely hot. I have used it indoors and it becomes hot to the touch. I would hate to see what happens to it on the windscreen of a car in 40 degree heat.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post