Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #31
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: Territory Turbo or VE SS Sportswagon?

yup theres an ssv wagon
http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for...thWestern.html
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #32
MercuryT
Banned

About 25K out of my range that SS-V ^^....haha.

In any case I believe they did make SS-V wagons for the VE. I actually checked out one at lunch today based on the advice here - boot is smaller than I first though, but reckon still big enough or what I will need.

I need to drive one in a manual though, I am not a fan of the Holden auto and that has been swaying me to Terri. (or maybe just the ones i've driven)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #33
LMW

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=1&sdmvc=1
id go one of these
Old 17-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #34
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW View Post
Hey mate,
That's quite ironic as my brother has the exact same car!! (including colour)

It doesn't look as good as VE to my eyes, nor as practical as the Terri, but it is certainly great to drive, faster than its power figures suggest and interior WAY above anything local here (has the best seats ive ever sat in!). Fantastic gearbox too.

My main worry is massive $$ with the fancy gearbox and motor when something breaks (which it will as it nears 200Klms) - which applies to all Euros. I have some spare money, but not keen to use it all on repairs!! Still I hadn't seem them that low before so could get a good one under 25K I probably should seriously consider it........
Old 17-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #35
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah R36 is sweet and they did make manual ones.

FYI two kids is nothing, you can get away with a midsizer easy.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #36
LMW

maybe a liberty gt wagon is an option too? subies are generally quite reliable. if i was looking for a wagon i would get a manual r36. quick enough and one of the best sounding 6s made. plus i like the understated stying of cars. rather than the look at me thing haha
Old 18-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #37
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley;49****0
I just bought an 09 VE SS wagon. I feel bad deserting Ford, but they don't offer me a manual wagon. Love it. The only disappointing thing is the audio - no USB in and few upgrade options.
check in the arm rest.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #38
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
check in the arm rest.

No USB in ve. They came in on ve2 late 2010
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #39
MercuryT
Banned

Thanks for replies, including R36, but i'm pretty sure no R36 came in manual, all autos.

The gearbox they do have is a fantastic one though.
Old 18-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #40
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual SS wagon...

if it HAD to be auto I would swing the terry turbo's way...

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #41
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yeah R36 is sweet and they did make manual ones.

FYI two kids is nothing, you can get away with a midsizer easy.
Yeah, not too worried about extra child on the way, but it means cant fot the dogs in! They have been squashing into the rear seat with a baby seat for a few years.......not great for the leather thats for sure! haha
Old 18-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #42
Matty4
Banana

A couple of things extra to think about.
Is it going to be your daily driver of the missus'?

If it's going to be hers then think about how long you intend to keep it for also. Once the kids hit school age and make new friends then the versatility of the 7 seats will be a big bonus.

Space wise, with 2 x 40kg dogs it won't matter which one you have, it doesn't leave a lot of room for other stuff, but the Terri will still have more room left over.

I faced this dilemma back in 2004 when the Terri was first released. We had a VT wagon with a big dog and 2 kids, with a 3rd on the way. I was all set on a new VZ SS wagon but one look at the practicalities of the Terri swayed me pretty quickly.

I sold that for a new TTG in '08.
A couple of minor mods and a tune with see your TTG hose an SS, even more so when it's slippery.
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #43
MercuryT
Banned

Just realized some of the posters earlier might think DSG is a manual maybe - it isn't, really good auto but nothing like driving with the a clutch and stick. (not saying that is better either, just meaning no manuals in R36 i'm told!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
A couple of things extra to think about.
Is it going to be your daily driver of the missus'?

If it's going to be hers then think about how long you intend to keep it for also. Once the kids hit school age and make new friends then the versatility of the 7 seats will be a big bonus.

Space wise, with 2 x 40kg dogs it won't matter which one you have, it doesn't leave a lot of room for other stuff, but the Terri will still have more room left over.

I faced this dilemma back in 2004 when the Terri was first released. We had a VT wagon with a big dog and 2 kids, with a 3rd on the way. I was all set on a new VZ SS wagon but one look at the practicalities of the Terri swayed me pretty quickly.

I sold that for a new TTG in '08.
A couple of minor mods and a tune with see your TTG hose an SS, even more so when it's slippery.
Hey mate,
Daily driver and my car (long story on family front) - will be doing at least 20,000Ks a year as I live 25K from Hobart city (only 15min drive luckily!) so round trip each day plus all the East Coast trips along the way.

Spot on about the room - reckon both will be ok but no doubt the Terri gives far more flexibility - but you lose on the driving front which is hard to weight up!

Hope you are happy with your Terri - yeah, I reckon three kids would all a bit much for a Commo, plus the AWD etc a Terri has. To be honest if it wasn't that the VE SS looked so damn good and has manual option, I would have an easy decision to make.....haha.

Last edited by MercuryT; 18-01-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 18-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #44
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best of both worlds - SSV turbo
Old 19-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #45
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
No USB in ve. They came in on ve2 late 2010
Yep, checked that today and you are right.

Still, there are ways around it and not a huge issue.

If I wanted all the latest toys regardless of how it drives i'd buy a Kia, Hyundai or some other rubbish...haha.
Old 20-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #46
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

I can recommend a nice Territory turbo Ghia for sale at the moment. My brother is trying to sell his at the moment. I can vouch for him being a fastidious owner. It really is a great car as I have dropped his family off at the airport a couple of times. Effortless power when you need it and the black interior is quite nice too. Here's the link.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...?Cr=11&sdmvc=1

2008 VW Passat R36 Wagon - Black, Leather, DSG, 18" Omanyt, Sunroof, LED Mods = Best and quickest car I've owned

Previous Rides
2006 VW Jetta 2.0L FSI Turbo
2000 AUII XR8 (200kw) - Miss my old girl
1996 EF Falcon Gli - Rare manual
1988 Mazda 626 Hatch
1982 Mazda 626 Sedan
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #47
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Spend the same on mods on both the TTG and the SS and I'd say the SS would come out on top. Every. Time.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #48
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Spend the same on mods on both the TTG and the SS and I'd say the SS would come out on top. Every. Time.
I'd question that, especially a manual SS when plenty can't launch them well....hell, even my BA Turbo (with minor mods) can outdo the older SS's and it's done over 200,000Ks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8snerlo View Post
I can recommend a nice Territory turbo Ghia for sale at the moment. My brother is trying to sell his at the moment. I can vouch for him being a fastidious owner. It really is a great car as I have dropped his family off at the airport a couple of times. Effortless power when you need it and the black interior is quite nice too. Here's the link.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Territory-2006/SSE-AD-2543177/?Cr=11&sdmvc=1
Thanks mate, but I will pass on that one - if there is one colour I would never buy, it is white!! haha. I am sure it is a good car though, and i'm probably not ready to buy until a few months but wouldn't to get the cogs working.....

You are in a unique situation owning the R36 and driving your bro's Turbo Ghia. Your sig states "awesome car", suggesting you are happy with it? Surpisingly they are in my price range too thanks for advice further ^^.
Old 23-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #49
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I would go for the SS. Maybe I'm biased because I am going to buy a sportswagon... in my opinion they just look so much better than the Territory. Also I think the Territory is pure pox because it has no 4WD capability and is essentially made for footy mums.
Old 23-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #50
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93EB_SXR6 View Post
Also I think the Territory is pure pox because it has no 4WD capability and is essentially made for footy mums.
Surprised no one had brought this up sooner.

Would rather a decent-sized station wagon than a two-tonne Rav-4 that creaks, clunks, and bangs like a haunted house.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #51
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
Would rather a decent-sized station wagon than a two-tonne Rav-4 that creaks, clunks, and bangs like a haunted house.
We used to have a couple of non-turbo ones at work.

They didn't seem to have those issues at all, were quiet and drove pretty well? Guess every car is different though.
Old 23-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #52
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Just ignore the ignorant know nothings.

Territory is the market leader in driving dynamics for a large SUV style vehicle. It is not a big chested serious off roader no, but it will get places no two-wheel drive will with relative ease if you choose the AWD version of the Territory of course.

But most buyers just want the large size convenience, and capability to carry 5 in supreme comfort, or 7 with the last row seat a bit of a squeeze. It handles nearly as good as a Falcon, just the slight increase in weight in Falcon is felt when pushing harder on undulating roads.

Our Territory AWD with ZF had 150,000km on it when we handed it on through the family, and it had no creaks or bangs and still drove like new. A fantastic vehicle compared to its competitors, only let down by not having a latest generation powerplant for 2014.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #53
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Label me an "ignorant know nothing" for posting my opinion if you want. I maintain that the Territory is just another dull "soft-roader" built because owning an "SUV" has become totally rad and hip... or whatever. That's the American influence on our culture - a major reason the Falcon and Commodore are dead.

If you want a spacious fuel guzzler which returns mediocre performance, by all means get one. They look just like every other SUV to me and it seems only diehard Ford enthusiasts are aware of the performance versions.
Even if you get a Territory Turbo, very few people will think it's cool compared to a VE SS. That's a fact.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #54
Motorbreath310

http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/20...SSE-AD-2403264

What about something like that? Looks nice, with better build quality, and probably cheaper to own and maintain than a fat B-series on stilts. Probably exhibits the same amount of interior wear that a new Terry woukd have in a year or two's time, and is probably close-to a current 'titanium' spec car in equipment terms.

There's also a Calais-V sportwagon?

Sorry to say it, but: I don't see the sense in a Territory. If it's just the extra space you want, you may as well buy something like a CX-9 or even a Santa-fe. I mean, who really places 'driving dynamics' and 'load-capacity' on the same shopping list? May as well buy a family-hauler, and a cheap little toy for the weekends.
Old 23-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #55
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Territory is the market leader in driving dynamics for a large SUV style vehicle.
but in the overall scheme of things, that's not saying a lot is it?

and territory build quality is variable to say the least. I've had a couple of really good quiet ones, but the current one squeaks and rattles like a really squeaky rattly thing. Its' only done 3,000km and it's worse than my 95,000km VE SS sportswagon
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #56
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also I think the Territory is pure pox because it has no 4WD capability and is essentially made for footy mums.
Thats because its not a 4WD it drives and Handles like a car, there are a few people that struggle with this and you see them fitted with bullbars etc.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #57
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sorry to say it, but: I don't see the sense in a Territory. If it's just the extra space you want, you may as well buy something like a CX-9 or even a Santa-fe. I mean, who really places 'driving dynamics' and 'load-capacity' on the same shopping list? May as well buy a family-hauler, and a cheap little toy for the weekends.
Now youve got it! the CX9 & Santa-fe are the Territorys competitors. except the Territory has more space and is Cheaper.

One of the demises of Falcon was in fact the Territory. more space and cost the same to run as an EB
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #58
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Label me an "ignorant know nothing" for posting my opinion if you want. I maintain that the Territory is just another dull "soft-roader" built because owning an "SUV" has become totally rad and hip... or whatever. That's the American influence on our culture - a major reason the Falcon and Commodore are dead.

If you want a spacious fuel guzzler which returns mediocre performance, by all means get one. They look just like every other SUV to me and it seems only diehard Ford enthusiasts are aware of the performance versions.
Even if you get a Territory Turbo, very few people will think it's cool compared to a VE SS. That's a fact.
This is AFF. OFC you're going to get labelled for daring to criticise a Ford product or daring to propose that a <gasp> Holden option would be preferable to you. I agree with you though, for the record.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #59
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/20...SSE-AD-2403264

What about something like that? Looks nice, with better build quality, and probably cheaper to own and maintain than a fat B-series on stilts. Probably exhibits the same amount of interior wear that a new Terry woukd have in a year or two's time, and is probably close-to a current 'titanium' spec car in equipment terms.

There's also a Calais-V sportwagon?

Thanks mate,
The Liberties are good cars. That six is not as exciting as what you might think though, albeit they do go ok. That particular one looks a great buy at 16K though, I must admit...

If were to go a 6.0 litre and Holden it would have to be manual, their autos aren't as good as ZF (IMO) and even further blunt the performance....

In terms of the bold, someone like me really. I need space for dogs, car seat and gear, plus being a daily driver I really want to enjoy the thrill of driving a practicle vehicle, but is still exciting on "those" days. I don't have the money to buy a second toy car unfortunately (especially double the rego/insurance etc), hence why it makes the upgrade from my Falcon T, which has carried it all until now, albeit awkwardly, a very tough decision!!
Old 23-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #60
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Thanks mate,
The Liberties are good cars. That six is not as exciting as what you might think though, albeit they do go ok. That particular one looks a great buy at 16K though, I must admit...
Then perhaps the 2.0 gt turbo? They go okay, and sound cool with an exhaust (subjective, I like boxers) I used to have a '94 Legacy (Liberty) RS sedan, 2.0 tt manual. Not the pick of the Subie 'EJ' family, but damn did it love cool weather!

Also, this may not be a factor for you, BUT! I rate the dual-sunroof thing very muchly there's decent-enough room in them, the rear compartment is fairly sizeable, and they're quite nice to drive, I reckon.

Apart from that, though. With the prerequisites you've outlined, one of the Aussie cars is probably your best bet. I just imagine a TTG is only going to require a lot of maintenance as they get older (heavy, AWD, Ford) and it wouldn't be much of a change from your current car. Which could be a good, or bad thing...