Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #31
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: More ford Australia redundancies

I guess Ford isn't really in a good position right now (globally) and are looking to consolidate where they can. In addition, I cannot say I am very confident with the current leadership group at Ford right now.
I think there is more to the VW partnership than what is being said right now. I guess we'll just have to wait.
Old 28-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #32
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
But these jobs are engineering jobs...not manufacturing.
Yes, but engineering is an ‘industry’.

You think among billions of Asian’s, they can’t develop an engineering team?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2019, 11:13 PM   #33
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was much talk here when manufacturing ceased that it was great all the engineering/design remained, we can hope it will but we will see. The Asian countries will sell loss leaders until they eliminate domestic competition and then re-price. Ask yourself, are performance RWDs or handling SUVs cheaper now that our manufacturing is gone? The dual cabs cost a small fortune too. 27K onroad base Corollas!!! Aussie designers, keep hitting the ball out of the park (Ranger, Territory) at a reasonable price and the work will keep coming. I've heard stories of how domestic IT workers are sacked, their replacements are useless, then they subcontract their old jobs at a much higher rate to fix the stuff ups...
Old 29-01-2019, 08:59 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Yes, but engineering is an ‘industry’.

You think among billions of Asian’s, they can’t develop an engineering team?
But these jobs are going back to the US. So what's Asia got to do with it?
Old 29-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #35
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm........More 'restructuring'!!!!

Did'nt think it would last.....I drove past the 'engineering' site around the back of the old Broadmeadows factory during my last job for a job.

Quite a few new Mustangs in the car park there was from what i could see.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #36
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

on the surface at least it makes sense. to the bean counters. by consolidating all body-on-frame work into one platform globally they can use modular architecture components an theoretically engineer F150, Ranger, Explorer etc more simply and cheaply.

Unfortunately I really don't think Ranger and Everest can ever be a scaled down F-series, and if the Yanks think they can they will be rudely awakened when the cars don't sell.

After all if we are being honest apart from the V8 engine the Mustang is a pretty average car with crappy plastics, bad paint, poor panel fitments and lots of squeaks and rattles. F150 may sell big in the US, but everywhere else in the world it's a niche car.

What really hurts is that if the goal was to consolidate the design, I honestly believe that the Australia team could design a much better F150 than the Yanks could on a Ranger. Still, it's a done deal. Nobody was ever really gong to listen to a few hundred people over here when it came to a global restructure. All we can do now is try and somehow make the best of it.

it still hurts, but after a few days of consideration.... nah, who am I kidding. it still hurts.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #37
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Some interesting posts in this <2 year old thread that might be worth reflecting on for some....

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11463015

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Some interesting posts in this <2 year old thread that might be worth reflecting on for some....

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11463015
But they sounded so credible when spun in unison......

Last edited by BENT_8; 30-01-2019 at 06:14 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
it's a lot more involved than all of that. Hackett has been taking stick for some time now about the slow pace of change, and in fact the shares have fallen more under his leadership than they did under Fields. Part of the change that the whole company is going through is to move to modular architectures, and only 5 vehicle groups. What that means for Ford Australia is that the T6 platform will now be combined with the T3 platform and lead out of North America. Short term there are immediate powertrain job losses, but longer term after we launch the next gen Ranger, it really doesn't look like there will be any more engineering work for us here.
I feel for you Simon. Ive watched since being involved, albeit only for 14 months a few years back from a company I aspired to be with to one that had to fight to be fully recognised.

It was hard to be passionate and push when everything was so geared towards cost saving and just trying to stay afloat.

Ive even been toying about applying to come back but I made a call at the time to leave the state to play in a big hole. The head is OK with the decision but the heart is another thing.

Its sad, I hope something else comes of it soon. Good Luck.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Unfortunately I really don't think Ranger and Everest can ever be a scaled down F-series, and if the Yanks think they can they will be rudely awakened when the cars don't sell.

What really hurts is that if the goal was to consolidate the design, I honestly believe that the Australia team could design a much better F150 than the Yanks could on a Ranger. Still, it's a done deal. Nobody was ever really gong to listen to a few hundred people over here when it came to a global restructure. All we can do now is try and somehow make the best of it.

From what I know of the history the Yanks thought they could replace the XY Falcon with a scaled down Torino, the Aussie design team went over and showed them exactly how out of proportion this would have been - they got approval to "do it their way" and the result was the XA. Then there was Geoff Polites pitching the Territory program to them, and surprise, surprise managment thought it looked better than the Freestyle.

FOA engineers and designers are top notch. If only the company was Australian owned and funded with Australian capital, and with someone like Geoff at the helm...
Old 31-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoodoo
Inevitably, as i think I mentioned long ago, companies will go wherever the cheapest labour is. Australia is not that place at the moment, nor has it been for some time - nor will it be for who knows how long.
With the aussie dollar at 70c it more than likely we are cheaper labour than the US or Europe. So it makes no sense on a cost front doing more work in the US. But an american company will look after americans first I guess.

I wonder wether it's a case of because they are no longer doing passenger vehicles, bar Mustang, they have a lot of idle engineers needing work.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post