Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #31
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well.... getting back on topic.....

I reckon the MPS 3 will sell well because:
1. Mazda's reliability rep
2. Most powerful hot hatch out there
3. They're bringing it in decent quantities to Australia (ie. it will steal sales from Golf GTi and XR5 with people who don't want to wait.)
Old 07-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #32
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I agree with point 3 there. If I were looking for a hot hatch now, I'd probably go the MPS. I'd like to have my car now-ish instead of next year.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #33
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

I think Murcod is onto something there also, particularly points 1 and 3, i suspect it's going to come down to a numbers game on who does well in the market, if Mazda can bring it in as per the 130 per month allocation then they'll do a roaring trade and really stick it up all the other struggling manufacturers who can't get their act together.

That said, regarding the power etc... I know it's a contentious issue to compare stock to modified but looking at it from a BFYB perspective.

You can grab a XR5 @ $35K (compared to $43k of the 3 MPS), flash tune it (product is available already) for $1,200 approx and it'll put out an extra 30kW and 63Nm of Torque, bringing it up to effectively the same specs as the 3 MPS.

The XR5 is built to a price point, if they upped it to that of the MPS we'd get all the funky gadgetry also. Not having cruise is a significant oversight though.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #34
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I agree with you there Miyagi.

The XR5T is all about the price point - below $40k RRP!

I popped into VW last night, and they had a used Golf GTI (Mk5) in white (non metalic) with sunroof, xenons and leather, 10,000kms and a 2005 model for $56,500! And that was manual too. I was speechless... and proceeded to walk straight out of the VW dealer. I think they are dreamers if someone is going to pay that... for a Hatch

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #35
Uni

in my opinion, ford, in return for the use of the 5 cyl Volvo donk, was made to forgo the cruise control so the XR5 didnt cannibalise Volvo sales.. it keeps the XR5 well out of the performance/luxury bracket the Volvo's S40 T5 is aimed at.

i'd still take an XR5 because, as someone mentioned, it leaves much more room (and change ;) ) for potential modifications, in which case it would absolutely murder the Mazda

plus its a far nicer all round package

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #36
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How could an XR5 Cannibalise Volvo Sales? Who, when looking for a 50k+ Turbo Volvo, would change their mind and ge a XR5?

Cruise was not engineered for whatever reason. As much as i would love it, you just get used to actually having to physically driving the car!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #37
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
How could an XR5 Cannibalise Volvo Sales? Who, when looking for a 50k+ Turbo Volvo, would change their mind and ge a XR5?
well, lets see...

same basic chassis, same engine, *similar* suspension tune (moderately stiff and heavily damped but still reasonably compliant), luxo leather interior, climate control and all the other fancy luxo items, 6spd manual, european design

dad owns an S40 and if we had our time over an XR5 would be top of the pile were it not for the fact it has no cruise control...

the fact that it has no manual also leads me to some suspision as to the motives of ford and its protection of its Volvo subsidiary. the S40 is one of the first seriously profitable cars volvo has produced since they took over, and i daresay Ford will be very keen to protect that profitability...

anywho, just my conspiracy theories

Uni/.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #38
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi
You can grab a XR5 @ $35K (compared to $43k of the 3 MPS), flash tune it (product is available already) for $1,200 approx and it'll put out an extra 30kW and 63Nm of Torque, bringing it up to effectively the same specs as the 3 MPS.
Whoa! The base model 3 MPS is only $39990 plus on roads; and the XR5 is $35990 plus on roads etc. Stop fudging the figures!!!

The Focus is still missing one vital mechanical component ->an LSD! Traction control is great as a safety feature but a PITA for trying to get the power down off the line.

There was a good review on the 3MPS in the Adelaide paper today. Basically said it has no problems with all the power through the front wheels (apart from the steering feeling a bit dead IIRC?) and they said 0-100km/h in 6.1 felt a "conservative" figure to them!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #39
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

I'm not fudging the figures, was simply going for the sports pack model... which i guess i shouldn't have assumed would have been what a 3 MPS shopper would have wanted.. i wouldn't have been able to resist the Xenon lights heh... still even with that the XR5 still provides a cost saving..

The Focus still get's the power down without LSD and even with the additional power running through it...

Either way you look at it both are fantastic cars...
Old 17-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #40
Uni

Exclamation

:

CarPoint Review by Mike Sinclair

very interesting indeed.. didnt seem to mind all the electronic nanny kit which most magazines have complained about

i must admit, it sounds like a damn fine car, and it would go like the hammers of hell... i still hate the interior though!

Uni/.
Old 19-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #41
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love them both cos they both owned by the Ford Motor Company
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #42
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focussed
I love them both cos they both owned by the Ford Motor Company
LMAO hehehehehe, so basically i dont know what your all complaining about the mps, cause if you buy one you basically buying a ford n e way. hehehehe, and i have to disagree with the statement made bymagpie in regards to the RS, how p1ssed would u feel if u bought an XR5T and just b4 you paid you heard that the RS was comming out and you didnt believe the sales person. HMMMM and i dont think that you should be the one to ruin sum1 dreams and hopes, if they want to constantly dream about an RS focus in AUS then let them, and also in regards to that, is it FEEBLE TO THINK THAT THEY wont bring out the FIESTA ST/XR4, everybody waited for the XR5T what makes you think they wont bring out the XR4 and the RS ??? unless you have inside information i wouldnt be making claims that it wont come here .... thats just my say on this topic!!!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #43
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, Ford have had at least one XR5 order cancelled for a 3 MPS. A guy on the Mazda forum I'm a member of said he cancelled the order after test driving an MPS and gets it in 3 weeks.
Old 20-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #44
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

His on the Mazda Forums - obviously he liked the MPS!

Photn - I wouldn't think the RS is coming here. Hell... Europe don't even have it confirmed!

As for the Fiesta XR4... Um, yea. Hope it comes here ;)

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 20-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #45
photn
AFF Post NAZI

teki yer i know that extreme chances for the RS and MAybee the XR4 but we should all be allowed to dream right.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #46
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Put it this way. I doubt even if Europe got it next year, that we'd see it before 2008, and by that stage I guess the current Focus would be revamped and a new model released. So, I doubt the RS is coming to Australia. Sorry for the disappointment.

Old 21-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #47
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
His on the Mazda Forums - obviously he liked the MPS!
Actually he joined after placing the order! :voldar02: (and as I said cancelled the order for an XR5)
Old 21-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #48
jim1606
Jim

Why get a 3, when you can have a focus ST that is better in everyway????
Old 21-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #49
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1606
Why get a 3, when you can have a focus ST that is better in everyway????
How is it "better in every way"???

Less power, no LSD .... cheaper yes .... harder to buy if you don't want to wait....
Old 23-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #50
jim1606
Jim

it may be a lil bit slower and and little less this and a little more thet but the fact of the matter is that, you get crisp direct handling that should be on a car several classes up its less money looks incredible (unlike the maza which looks lik it has has the door of a fridge freezer stuck to the front bumber and a cone stuck to the roof, and with the focus you get a high quality sporty interior, unlike the mazdas which is like a bunch of accountants have been let loose on it!. now sorry if i sounde a bit abrupt but i am stating the obvious points!
Old 23-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #51
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The styling is a personal taste issue. I've seen a few XR5's driving around and I don't reckon they'll date well (I certainly wouldn't buy one on it's looks.)

Judging by the reviews I've read here in Australia the MPS should beat the XR5 soundly in any technical/ performance comparo. The resale value on the Mazda should also be streets ahead.
Old 23-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #52
jim1606
Jim

Granted the styling is a personel taste but you would be much better buying a bus with the handing you are gonna gt out of a 3, and yes i know the 3 is based on the focus platform but mazda dont know how to make it work, even tho the MX-5 and RX-8 are inspired!
Old 25-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #53
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Granted the styling is a personel taste but you would be much better buying a bus with the handing you are gonna gt out of a 3,
Are you serious? Or do you just need to open your other eye!?

I can't wait for the first Aussie magazine comparison....
Old 25-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #54
jim1606
Jim

And i cant wait for the brishish response!!!granted it may be a good car, but GOOD doesnt cut it in the world of prformence hatchbacks!
Old 28-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #55
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

lol i kinda have to agree with Murcod. Personally i don't like the styling of the Mazda 3 MPS, it just appears to me to not have much character about it. There is no way the XR5 is going to outperform it in stock form though, the 3 MPS has too much tech for it not to be a competent car and as evidenced by the MX-5, Mazda know how to tune a complete performance package. If they can sustain availability then they will do a good job of stealing sales from the competition.

We are spoilt for quality hot hatches of late, moreso each one has their own little traits that make them appeal to different crowds... tis a good thing!
Old 28-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #56
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, the small car market at the moment is the best it's ever been- so many quality cars that are actually good to drive and powerful. I guess we can thanks high fuel prices for one good thing....
Old 28-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #57
jim1606
Jim

so in Oz, were these sized cars never really that popular? they always have beenhere
Old 29-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #58
Uni

Quote:
so in Oz, were these sized cars never really that popular? they always have beenhere
nah, oz has always been the domain of the big V8 sports sedan... there's always been a small pocket of die-hard small car fans but until fuel prices started soaring a little while back people shrugged cars like this off. it was the "why get a hot, itty-bitty four-banger when for a few grand more i can get a very hot, very big V8?" mentality

Uni/.
Old 29-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #59
jim1606
Jim

hmmm interesting, so do you have the BMW Mini Cooper s?
Old 29-07-2006, 11:39 PM   #60
Uni

yes, but its not called BMW, just mini, although BMW are the distributors... we also get the John Cooper Works Kit. i would kill for one of those, damn fine motor vehicles

Uni/.