Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #31
JR.
Once more with feeling

Taken from Go Auto

By DAVID HASSALL 16 January 2008

Quote:
With sales plummeting to an 80-year low, Ford Australia turns to a new president

LESS than a week after Holden’s sudden replacement of its managing director, Ford Australia also caught the industry by surprise this morning by announcing the sudden departure of its president, Tom Gorman.

Mr Gorman, 47, who has led the company through a turbulent period since March 2004, is to leave the automotive industry, taking up a position based in London with an Australian company. He has worked for Ford for more than 20 years.

His surprise departure means that Mr Gorman will not get to present the all-important launch of the new Falcon, which will be vital to reverse the disturbing decline in Ford’s fortunes in Australia.

Ford’s market share last year dropped to just 10.3 per cent, which GoAuto believes is the company’s worst result in Australia since 1928.

Mr Gorman’s replacement, effective from February 1, will be the president of Ford of Canada, 47 year-old Bill Osborne.

Announcing the shock news, Ford Asia Pacific chief John Parker said that Mr Osborne will bring extensive product development and marketing experience to his new role.

“Bill Osborne has a wealth of business and industry knowledge and will be an immense asset to the Ford Australia team,” said Mr Parker.

“He has led the Ford of Canada team admirably since November 2005 and is well placed to take the Australian operations to the next level of global integration and significance.

“Tom Gorman has been an outstanding leader at Ford Australia and has brought the company through some challenging times. He has elected to move onto other exciting opportunities outside the automotive industry and we wish him well in his new role.”

Mr Osborne was executive director of Ford Pickup Truck and Commercial Vehicles from December 2003 until November 2005, with overall business and product development responsibility for F-Series, Super Duty, Ranger, Econoline and all commercial truck products.

Prior to that, for three years he served as engineering director for Ford’s ‘Tough Truck’ business group, where he was responsible for the design and development of all commercial and personal use trucks for the North American market.

Osborne’s other roles since joining Ford in 1990 include vehicle line director for the Super Duty, F Series and Excursion vehicles, assistant vehicle line director for the mid-size sedan platform and manufacturing operations manager at the Romeo engine plant.

He also previously led the V-Engine design activity within powertrain operations, the engine system activity for the Duratec V6 engines and spearheaded Ford’s advanced powertrain noise and vibration research.

Osborne was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1960. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from GMI Engineering & Management Institute, a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Chicago, and a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Wayne State University.
So he's a black guy born in Michigan who's managed to drag himself up and get to the point where he has a MS in Mechanical Engineering and has headed two national operations for one of the worlds biggest automotive companies.

Bodes well for his determination and tenacity to get the job done if nothing else...
Old 16-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #32
irlewy86
Meep Meep

But is this a demotion for him, I cant imagine Ford Australia being as critical as Canada?

And by the sounds of it Gorman is going to Rio Tinto/BHP
Old 16-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #33
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he looks like a nice guy i bet he is a great father as well but the thing i am mainly concerned about is his skill in making some nice falcons for the future so when those kids are old enough to put the pedal to the metal they have a sweet ride which not only has the looks to let others know that they mean business but also the grunt to get past a coal truck or maybe a slower car that should be in the slow lane when they are towing a large van up the north coast on holiday.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
He looks black to me?
Whats that got to do with anything?

Doesn;t mean he can't be bland.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #35
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Here's hoping he has some passion for Aussie Fords, I'm guessing he's just another bean counter.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #36
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
But is this a demotion for him, I cant imagine Ford Australia being as critical as Canada?
It would seem the case but... did you read this part of the post before yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
“He has led the Ford of Canada team admirably since November 2005 and is well placed to take the Australian operations to the next level of global integration and significance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Here's hoping he has some passion for Aussie Fords, I'm guessing he's just another bean counter.
I doubt it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
He also previously led the V-Engine design activity within powertrain operations, the engine system activity for the Duratec V6 engines and spearheaded Ford’s advanced powertrain noise and vibration research.

Osborne was born in Detroit, Michigan in 1960. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from GMI Engineering & Management Institute, a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Chicago, and a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Wayne State University.
Old 16-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Bring back Geoff!!!
Here here!! AND FAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #38
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
From what I have read he has more of an engineering background.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 05:36 PM   #39
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
It would seem the case but... did you read this part of the post before yours?
Yes but Ford Australia's Intergration will only be based engineering, a lot smaller than the manufacturing importance of Canada, ergo he either got demoted or his the only person regarded compentent enough to fix up Gorman's mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
The announcement of Tom Gorman's departure doesn't really come as much of a suprise. It is unfortunate that he will be remembered for some of the 'less then popular' decisions that were made during his tenure.
Notably
- the demise of the long serving Fairlane, & LTD luxury names.
- mediocre sales on FoA's Falcon branding. Granted, Continual sales improvements were always going to be tough after the initial sales success of the BA model range.
- Attempting to change the perception of FoA being The "FALCON" car company, by focussing marketing on vehicles that the majority of Ford buyers / resellers are less then enthusiastic about, and abandoning marketing on the more 'traditional' popular models.
- The announcement that 'the heart' of Falcon, the 'Inline6' will be replaced by a V6 in upcoming models. Remember the uncertainty this created for Geelong workers / residents?
Did Gorman do anything woth mentioning while he was here?
Old 16-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #40
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Yes but Ford Australia's Integration will only be based engineering, a lot smaller than the manufacturing importance of Canada, ergo he either got demoted or his the only person regarded competent enough to fix up Gorman's mistakes.
I think Ford Au's global significance is alot more than people give it credit for.
Old 16-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #41
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good riddance, did not like him since the day I saw him speak at the territory launch. Sugar coated everything and waffled on like a marketing manager. Let's hope the new guy can turn the sales figures around from the lowest they have been in 80years!!
Old 16-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfalcon500
Yeah Lets keep the falcon looking like a camry : .At least the Americans put a bit of character into their car designs. Having an American/Canadian incharge might help the falcons chances in being developed for a global market LHD.
I don't want to see a falcon designed by America, have a look over there, bland as, except for the mustang and GT. the Current australianised Euro look is much better, and even americans like our falcon...
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #43
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

He was heavily involved in the V6 Duratec development, so that's good news as they'll want to ensure that replacement of the I6 is done properly. If they stuff that one up, Falcon may well be stuffed!

I hope he squeezes stacks out of it, from what we know of the V6, it'll need some very good tweaks to match the I6 torque. But heck, I'd much rather eat my words if the V6 turns out to be one absolute cracker of an engine.

Here's hoping.

All the best to him, may he bring prosperity to the market, that we all benefit.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #44
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

I suspect that Ford HQ sees more then a couple of things in the appointment of Bill Osborne.
The V6 development into the Aus Falcon will be something that they will wish to see happen as smoothly as possible (especially in light of sales trends, and the amount of investment they have put into the region)
The next couple of years sees Ford HQ at another turning point. With the all new Falcon replacement, and the replacement in the US of the Mustang, and Ford / Lincoln large car platforms within the next five years. There is a lot of work needing to be done in a relatively short timeframe.
There are a few new technologies, like Ecoboost, starting to become real production possibilities. It is possible that they may be looking at providing the Ecoboost donks for our Falcons. The Ecoboost looks like it will hit the streets before the end of next year.
The Ecoboost is direct injection (fuel injected straight into the cylinder rather then intake runners) and designed to work in conjunction with a turbo(s). The 2009 Lincoln MKS looks set to be launched with a 3.5l twin turbo charged V6(esimated 340hp, & over 340ft lb).
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #45
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Yep, i think this could show that we are becomeing more significant to Ford as a global brand, who knows...
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #46
GSfalcon500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk O'lass
I don't want to see a falcon designed by America, have a look over there, bland as, except for the mustang and GT. the Current australianised Euro look is much better, and even americans like our falcon...
Bland ? realy! What about the F series trucks and the expedition and explorer.But then again were talking about personal taste and preference in styles,I personaly like American style over euro.All im saying is the Falcon could look a little less like the competition if it had more American style.
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #47
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well, to me it seems a positive move.

Bill Osborne has some very good experience that is relative to us!
* Worked on the upcoming V6
* Boss of Ford Canada, the only place Ford Nth America still makes RWD
* Boss of Ford Canada, used to leading a major subsidiary.
* He has an engineering background.

He seems to be the ideal candidate, a motivated, engineering person with the relevant experience!

It seems pretty clear that Ford under Allan Mullaly is making great strides and looking at GM & GMH and saying, "Well, if they can do it, why cant we? Why don't we do it better too!"

The move is on inside Ford to reduce vehicle weight, increase technology, improve performance and reduce emissions. If you look at all their recent press releases, this is where Ford are focussing.

So, with that in mind. Even if Ford do end up creating a World Car platform (with Ford Aus doing a large part of the engineering), don't worry that it will end up bloated. It won't. We will end up with a better Falcon, for less.

Oh, and if Osborne hasn't already driven a Falcon yet. Compared to the Crown Vics he is used to, it will be an amazing revelation.

NB Geoff Polites was probably the best person to have led Ford Aus to date. Nothing to say that Bill won't be better...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #48
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
The 2009 Lincoln MKS looks set to be launched with a 3.5l twin turbo charged V6(esimated 340hp, & over 340ft lb).
I thought the Twinforce was over 400hp and 400lbft? Or was that just the MKS concept car's power figure?

Daniel.
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #49
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
On the contrary. Alan Mullaly (Who I like more and more every time I read something that's come out of his mouth) has basically told the blinkered US-centric accountants at Ford "WTF aren't we doing what GM did with Holden and the Zeta platform?"

Canada produces the DOA Crown Victoria and some of Ford's engine capacity. This guy's experience is perfect to come here as we transition to the Global Duratec/EcoBoost V6 engines and the new Hurricane V8's

And contrary to what you believe, engineering the base product is FAR more important that just running the plants that build the end product.

Let's not forget that both the current Fiesta sedan for the sub-continent, the current Focus Sedan, Next Fiesta and Ranger replacement all were developed or engineered here to some extent or another yet aren't manufactured here. We do more than just build Falcons and Territories.

Way back to the late 70's we also styled the original 323/Laser twins (Wayne Draper did the Mazda version here too) and FoA Design and Engineering have been playing well above their weight for many years. It's only the sales and marketing side of the company that sucks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
From what I have read he has more of an engineering background.
Just what we need if we're about to develop a Zeta-style Global RWD/AWD LHD/RHD platform that will potentially support Mustang/Falcon/Crown Victoria/Fairlane/Territory/Explorer, potentially underpinning nearly a million cars a year globally, it could be Ford's most significant new passenger platform in 50 years.

Quote:
I suspect that Ford HQ sees more then a couple of things in the appointment of Bill Osborne.

The V6 development into the Aus Falcon will be something that they will wish to see happen as smoothly as possible (especially in light of sales trends, and the amount of investment they have put into the region)

The next couple of years sees Ford HQ at another turning point. With the all new Falcon replacement, and the replacement in the US of the Mustang, and Ford / Lincoln large car platforms within the next five years. There is a lot of work needing to be done in a relatively short timeframe.

There are a few new technologies, like Ecoboost, starting to become real production possibilities. It is possible that they may be looking at providing the Ecoboost donks for our Falcons. The Ecoboost looks like it will hit the streets before the end of next year.

The Ecoboost is direct injection (fuel injected straight into the cylinder rather then intake runners) and designed to work in conjunction with a turbo(s). The 2009 Lincoln MKS looks set to be launched with a 3.5l twin turbo charged V6(esimated 340hp, & over 340ft lb).
Mark, I agree completely.

This is like a breath of fresh air, with common sense finally breaking out at Ford after years of stupidity.

this is the best utilization of resources we could possibly hope for and the new US CAFE standard has even helped our case with Explorer now looking to go unibody from a separate body/chassis.

So the next generation 2013 Falcon/Territory platform suddenly becomes vitally significant for Ford if you allow for engineering it for LHD.

Mustang can be built on a SWB version of the Falcon platform (does this make Falcon mid-wheelbase?)

Crown Victoria built on LWB platform and spawning a renewed Fairlane (probably an imported Crown Vic rebadged but not your granddads Panther platform Crown Vic, that's for sure)

AWD Territory version of the platform forms the basis of next gen US unibody Explorer.

All these cars potentially share the same range of direct-injection & EcoBoost V6's and Hurricane V8's in various forms and specs, plus the wildcard diesel option as long as Gorman didn't shitcan it for Territory before he left.

So off the one platform you could get;

Mustang V6
Mustang V8
Falcon V6
Falcon V6T
Falcon V8
Crown Victoria V6
Crown Victoria V8
Fairlane V6
Fairlane V8
Territory V6
Territory V6T
Explorer V6
Explorer V6T or V8

plus any Diesel models plus many potential mix and match derivatives.

Perhaps something like a Shelby Mustang GT500KR driveline in your next Falcon GTHO?
Old 16-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #50
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope you are right JR.
The guy looks to have some good experience in engineering and development with a splash of business.
I hope he is as good as his CV says so. I trust Mr Mullaly, he seems to have put his foot down to turn Ford around.
FoA really need someone with a clue, hopefully Mr Osborne is the man!!
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #51
290v
290v

and also Holdens over here in Adelaide have appointed a new boss it is in this weeks local news paper
290v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #52
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

What's not to like about an an engineer who has looked after the F-Trucks!
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #53
JR.
Once more with feeling

Also, with Bob Lutz announcing the death of Monaro and the likely importation of a RHD Camaro a factory RHD Mustang to compete would be very appropriate
Old 17-01-2008, 03:27 AM   #54
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He needs to bring the F series back to Oz. I have driven the 6.4L V8 twin turbo F350, and its quieter than the 7.3, sounds like a petrol engine, no turbo lag, and instant torque like you would never believe - but you would expect that with nearly 900Nm. It puts the old 7.3 and 6.0 diesels to shame. Also F150 would do well there, especially with new 4.4L V8 diesel coming out.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #55
Casablanca
carburettor

i agree osbourne should be a really good addition to the team, i don't reckon he could do any worse that tommy
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #56
JR.
Once more with feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
He needs to bring the F series back to Oz. I have driven the 6.4L V8 twin turbo F350, and its quieter than the 7.3, sounds like a petrol engine, no turbo lag, and instant torque like you would never believe - but you would expect that with nearly 900Nm. It puts the old 7.3 and 6.0 diesels to shame. Also F150 would do well there, especially with new 4.4L V8 diesel coming out.

There are apparently no RHD plans for the new 2009 F-truck previewed at the NAIAS in LA so it looks like it's back to the low volume niche importers for the foreseeable future.

This is another US led decision I don't understand. I know our F-series volumes were minuscule by world standards, but surely it doesn't cost that much money in overall terms to engineer the F-truck for RHD markets?

Ford had no trouble selling all the F-trucks it could get its hands on, and you've only got to look at the resale on them to know how they're valued by potential owners.
Old 17-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #57
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
And contrary to what you believe, engineering the base product is FAR more important that just running the plants that build the end product.
Having a little knowledge of the working of US subsidiaries, I offer the following:

US-centric thinking usually means that there is not so much profit for Australia on Intellectual property (such as automobile design input).

Charging for intellectual property is often limited in such a way that Australia only recovers costs on interna
l ww projects - ie no profit. You may agrue that all profits go back to the US anyway, but this trick masks the value that australia adds, and makes the US departments appear more profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
So off the one platform you could get;

Mustang V6
Mustang V8
Falcon V6
Falcon V6T
Falcon V8
Crown Victoria V6
Crown Victoria V8
Fairlane V6
Fairlane V8
Territory V6
Territory V6T
Explorer V6
Explorer V6T or V8
CownVic and Falc should be at most be a reskin, but why not the same car - it would be cool if the ubiquitous american police car (now a CrownVic) was also the car you drive - great for Brand Recognition.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #58
GSfalcon500

So if they will make the crown vic and falcon off the same platform will the vic be narrower or will the falcon be wider.I know the wheel base can be altered on a platform, but what about the track?
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
And I quote

"offered a unique opportunity outside the automotive industry that will allow me to develop my career in new ways. It is also a very personal family decision and will open up new opportunities for my family in Europe"
ROFL.

I can see the options offered now.

"How would you like your front bar. Standard or with a snow plough?"
Old 18-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #60
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfalcon500
So if they will make the crown vic and falcon off the same platform will the vic be narrower or will the falcon be wider.I know the wheel base can be altered on a platform, but what about the track?
To sit in a CV feels shorter than a BF (crazy space wasting front seats). Feels about the same width, so I wondered on your point of track.
Ford US do not have track figures on the web (that I could find) but the front shoulder room the CV is 25mm more, and rear is 30mm more.

This is near enough to the same size in my books. Although the exterior dimentions are 5-10 times this difference
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post