Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #31
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
And finally, fuel economy IS a good reason to buy a small car. Yes, the Falcon can get down to the 8L/100km mark on the highway, loafing along at under 2000rpm, but my MR2 (which basically has a Corolla motor) gets 7L/100km buzzing along at 3800rpm on the highway.
But more importantly, around town, if I baby the Falcon, I can get 12L/100kms, but the MR2, even when being driven in anger, still returns 9L/100kms.

Ok, so big deal you say, its only an extra 3L/100kms. Well, lets say you drive 400kms a week around town. In the Falcon, that 400kms will cost you 48L, or $67.20 if ULP is selling at $1.40/L. In the 4 banger being driven hard, it will cost you 36L, or $50.40. If you drive a bit gentler, then you'll only need 28L, for $39.20 a week.

So over a year, the Falcon will cost you $3494.40 in petrol, $873.60 more than the MR2/Corolla/4 banger being driven hard, or $1456 more than the 4 banger driven gently.

If it sounds like I'm bagging the Falcon too much I apologise. I love my Falcon, I really do, but I just wanted to point out that people are not "being sucked in bad", but are simply choosing the vehicle that meets their needs.

I know that Orion is going to be just as big as the current Falcon, if not bigger, but I really would love to see the next all new Falcon after Orion scale back a bit.

The times, they are a changin'.
Worst comparison ever.

You're comparing a two seater with little or no luggage space to a five seater with a big boot?
You may as well be making the comparison with a motorbike.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #32
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Worst comparison ever.

You're comparing a two seater with little or no luggage space to a five seater with a big boot?
You may as well be making the comparison with a motorbike.
What about a Honda Accord Euro vs a Falcon/Commodore - same entry price, but the Honda has much better build quality, still fits 5 people in comfort, uses less fuel, is quicker, has WAY better resale and much higher equipment levels. Falcon/Commodore need to lift their game IMO.

- I am still a Ford fan but this is reality.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also if you compare the economy of my EL Futura vs your MR2 I come out way infront.
12-15l/100km @ 55c/L vs 7-9l/100km @ $1.40/L

Even if you were driving a Prius you'd be lucky to beat that cost per/km

Old 04-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #34
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Euro Accord is not quicker, and good luck getting three in the back for anything longer than a quick run to the shops. What about their luggage too? And towing?

Old 04-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #35
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Euro Accord is not quicker, and good luck getting three in the back for anything longer than a quick run to the shops. What about their luggage too? And towing?
Well it's quicker according to the reviews I have read - 3 in the back was fine (same as Mazda 6). Luggage space is not too bad though not as good as Falcon/Commie and I agree it would be useless for towing. Point is these japanese mid-sizers are now very strong competitors and ford/holden need to re-evaluate to stay competitive.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #36
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
What about a Honda Accord Euro vs a Falcon/Commodore - same entry price, but the Honda has much better build quality, still fits 5 people in comfort, uses less fuel, is quicker, has WAY better resale and much higher equipment levels. Falcon/Commodore need to lift their game IMO.

But as imports they can place these cars with Fairmont/berlina spec at XT Omega prices, It's not the true indication of what it's worth because it's imported and it's cheap as, Last i herd Honda accord was one of the worst recalled cars of 05 ?.
If Honda set-up here like ford and holden I'm sure they wont be able to offer the same deal at the same prices.

Toss 5 big Aussie blokes into a accord and it will be like sticking them into a Gemini
Old 04-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #37
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
But as imports they can place these cars with Fairmont/berlina spec at XT Omega prices, It's not the true indication of what it's worth because it's imported and it's cheap as, Last i herd Honda accord was one of the worst recalled cars of 05 ?.
If Honda set-up here like ford and holden I'm sure they wont be able to offer the same deal at the same prices.
Whats your point? The buyer doesn't care about WHY or what factors drive the import market they just care what the final price is.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #38
aualright

Quote:
Well it's quicker according to the reviews I have read - 3 in the back was fine (same as Mazda 6). Luggage space is not too bad though not as good as Falcon/Commie and I agree it would be useless for towing. Point is these japanese mid-sizers are now very strong competitors and ford/holden need to re-evaluate to stay competitive.
My wife has an IS200 (2002) and things that concern me are that the backseat space is too small to safely fit 1 infant seat and a toddler seat. The infant seat touches the front seat which is extremely dangerous. We need to push the front seat uncomfortably forward to make clearance.

* Left foot doesn't fit between the clutch and footrest when wearing shoes - unrelated I know but annoying nonetheless.

Good car for the wife but anything smaller than a Falcon is less safe for my family and doesn't have the advantages you get from a larger car. As for petrol, there is no price for increased safety. All the airbags in the Lexus compared to the Falc don't make up for its lack of size when it comes to protecting the kiddies.

Can't wait for the impending purchase of the long-awaited Explorer...talk about bucking the trend..!!

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #39
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I own one, and trust me I can fit 3 big bloke mates in the back fine.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #40
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Toss 5 big Aussie blokes into a accord and it will be like sticking them into a Gemini
You're referring to the US version which in US is built there and we all know what US built cars are like. Have you ever owned an Accord? How do you know you can't fit 5 blokes? I think you're assuming a lot here. I've done it and they fit fine.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #41
RATT

Quote:

People won't shop an Accord with a Falcon anyway. That's partially why resale is higher. It's also about image. Falcon/ Commodore is a fleet car, Accord is a private buyers car.

Agreed that is has better build quality, but you pay for that. Plus it is sold in many other countries so volume is higher than Falcon, so you it's easier to get better at building it.

There is no way you can sit 3 accross the back seat in comfort! A friend of mine has an 05 Accord Euro and I've sat in the back with 2 others, all under 6ft tall and it was not a comfortable ride.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #42
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

yer but could those 5 people have an orgy is what hes really trying to say : and as for interior quality ive investigated the accord and its no better than the falcon.

also honda parts prices? id rather not think about that.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #43
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright

Good car for the wife but anything smaller than a Falcon is less safe for my family and doesn't have the advantages you get from a larger car. As for petrol, there is no price for increased safety. All the airbags in the Lexus compared to the Falc don't make up for its lack of size when it comes to protecting the kiddies.

Don't be so naive. A Toyota Yaris is a safer car than your AU Falcon. The results posted are for an AU2 falcon, which would rate better than the AUI, due to twin airbags standard, seatbelt pretensioners, and structual improvements. Also the benckmark of what made a 5 star rating would have gotten harder over the 5 or so years.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/ancap_test_yaris.asp
http://www.mynrma.com.au/falcon-au-2...fordfalcon.asp
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #44
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Don't be so naive. A Toyota Yaris is a safer car than your AU Falcon. The results posted are for an AU2 falcon, which would rate better than the AUI, due to twin airbags standard, seatbelt pretensioners, and structual improvements. Also the benckmark of what made a 5 star rating would have gotten harder over the 5 or so years.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/ancap_test_yaris.asp
http://www.mynrma.com.au/falcon-au-2...fordfalcon.asp
Yeh bull****.

Safer based on features, have a headon in a yaris and youll be lucky to live, youll certainly have more chance in the big Falcon.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #45
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Corolla is a proven winner its renowned for reliability and re-sale is outstanding.
its costs $20,000 witch is $13,000 cheaper than a Falcon/commie.
Small cars have excellent fuel economy, cheaper tyres, insurance and servicing a 4cyl.
My wife drives a 4cyl yesterday she filled up $38, I filled up the F6 $85.
F6 wasn't empty then, mine took $106 yesterday, and the T3 $102 the day before
sigh
Old 04-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #46
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
F6 wasn't empty then, mine took $106 yesterday, and the T3 $102 the day before
sigh
Yeah, but you have the ute, its got a bigger tank.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #47
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahaha, the T3 is a sedan, same size as the F6 sedans tank, and to be honest, i dont seem to get anymore in the ute than i do in the sedan, both around the mid 60 lts
Old 04-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Yeh bull****.

Safer based on features, have a headon in a yaris and youll be lucky to live, youll certainly have more chance in the big Falcon.

I'd agree, those tests are done at low speeds. I'd take a heavier Falcon than the Yaris.

I spend close to $120 a week on petrol, I couldn't care as I'm happy driving my car. The old Camry was embarrassing but didn't use much fuel. I know which car I would pick.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #49
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Whats your point? The buyer doesn't care about WHY or what factors drive the import market they just care what the final price is.
Point is imported cars are cheap! So they can afford to slap extra into them and offer a lower sticker price. Compared to the big local 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
You're referring to the US version which in US is built there and we all know what US built cars are like. Have you ever owned an Accord? How do you know you can't fit 5 blokes? I think you're assuming a lot here. I've done it and they fit fine.
05 Euro, Hired cars and bloke down the road has got one. Miny VYIII Calais i call it.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #50
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i couldn't care less about fuel. i like v8's now and always will. just about to buy petrol f250 .life is short. if you worry about 20-50 bucks a week EXTRA (remember 4 cld ***** boxes use fuel too) and drive a car you don't like because of this you should realy think things through.just hope some clowns start panicing about fuel so i can buy there F truck cheap.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #51
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Quote:
People are being sucked in bad.

I can get about 455km average from 66lt in a 14 year old Commodore I'll have to try it on the highway one day again.
I wouldn't be surprised if our dim Sim friends buy 50% of the corollas
Thats why Im reluctant to sell our EL Falcon okay might not be a BA but I get over 500kms around town out of it and close to 800kms out of it on the open road to me not worth upgrading to a BA and shoot myself further in the foot petrol wise, if I upgraded to a BA it would be dedicated gas.
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #52
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What about a Honda Accord Euro vs a Falcon/Commodore - same entry price, but the Honda has much better build quality, still fits 5 people in comfort, uses less fuel, is quicker, has WAY better resale and much higher equipment levels. Falcon/Commodore need to lift their game IMO.- I am still a Ford fan but this is reality.
Those people who are downsizing to Corollas are doing so because their needs can be accommodated in a Corolla. We come from the large sector of the population that had to run two cars to do all the things we had to do. Now they've been replaced with one Ford Territory (much to our financial relief) which can do all these things that an Accord Euro can't:
carry 7 people in one journey
move a single bed, a wardrobe or a refridgerator in the back
fit all our luggage in
tow a big boat or a caravan without collapsing on the first hill

If we had an Accord Euro the savings would be cancelled out by:
buying two train tickets for 2 passengers to follow us
hiring a van to move furniture
buying a trailer to carry luggage
hiring someone to tow the van or boat

For our needs we've saved heaps thanks! There will always be a market for larger cars, just look at the number of them in Europe with much higher fuel prices. This present kneejerk reaction to the rise in fuel prices will dampen off after a while.

And to BlackLS who believes the 5 star (NCAP) Yaris will protect him better against a 4 star Falcon, did you learn about mass in physics at school old son? Haven't looked up the weights but a Falcon would be at least a half tonne heavier. You'd be counting those 5 stars after the impact!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #53
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a Yaris vs Yaris crash or a Falcon vs Falcon crash at the same speeds you are probably better off in the Toyota. (less kinetic energy)
But a Falcon vs Yaris, you're definately better off in the Ford.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 AM   #54
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilracer_01
Thats why Im reluctant to sell our EL Falcon okay might not be a BA but I get over 500kms around town out of it and close to 800kms out of it on the open road to me not worth upgrading to a BA and shoot myself further in the foot petrol wise, if I upgraded to a BA it would be dedicated gas.
My brothers EFII was good on fuel also, He could run it in the 7's on the highway and was very capable of getting over 500km local.
He's BA isn't as good but it's still not to bad for it's power and size.
They took a trip last year to QLD and got with A/C on full all the way 720km to a full tank he was pretty happy with that because we hired a Territory to Bathurst last year and only got just over 600km on all full tanks. It''s pretty good 450km average around town and over 500km easy with some mixed driving.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 AM   #55
QualityCounts

Ladies and Gentlemen, no matter what you're driving, you'll still save on your electricity bills.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14174161/
QualityCounts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #56
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think people down sizing probably has alot to do with how society is changing aswell. Alot of people, at the end of the day, dont need a falcon or commy, they used to get one becuase fuel cost stuff all and they could fit enough stuff in it to go on long trips with the kids.

These days flying is cheaper than driving, and people can't be bother doing long drives. Also, the family size has and is dropping considerably, not many kids means no need for a falcon.

As singles and couples downsize as it just doesn't make sense anymore to have a falcon when there are so many very very good mid size cars around.

Perhaps now more than ever is a good time for the all new mondeo? And a marketing plan to back it up.

Orion IMO should not even both with any mid spec cars. A good base model for fleets, performance cars and one luxury car is all that is needed. And have an options list as big as you like. (so bye bye to futura, fairmont, all LWB).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #57
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Those people who are downsizing to Corollas are doing so because their needs can be accommodated in a Corolla. We come from the large sector of the population that had to run two cars to do all the things we had to do. Now they've been replaced with one Ford Territory (much to our financial relief) which can do all these things that an Accord Euro can't:
carry 7 people in one journey
move a single bed, a wardrobe or a refridgerator in the back
fit all our luggage in
tow a big boat or a caravan without collapsing on the first hill

If we had an Accord Euro the savings would be cancelled out by:
buying two train tickets for 2 passengers to follow us
hiring a van to move furniture
buying a trailer to carry luggage
hiring someone to tow the van or boat

For our needs we've saved heaps thanks! There will always be a market for larger cars, just look at the number of them in Europe with much higher fuel prices. This present kneejerk reaction to the rise in fuel prices will dampen off after a while.

And to BlackLS who believes the 5 star (NCAP) Yaris will protect him better against a 4 star Falcon, did you learn about mass in physics at school old son? Haven't looked up the weights but a Falcon would be at least a half tonne heavier. You'd be counting those 5 stars after the impact!
Thats nice, I compared it (medium sized cars) to a Falcon/Commodore (large sized cars), not a Territory (SUV), so not really sure where you are coming from on that one?

Old 05-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #58
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's very little difference between a Falcon/Commodore wagon and a Territory Merlin. I was just pointing out that for a significant section of the market its not practical for them to downsize. And while going from a Falcon to a Honda may sound attractive in theory I would be interested to know some comparative stats like legroom, shoulder room, boot size and so on. The Asian manufacturers have never been all that good on interior space.
Old 17-08-2006, 12:04 AM   #59
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anybody notice how close Falcon and Commodore sales were in July - 4022 Commodores, 3951 Falcons. If you include the utes, Falcon actually outsold Commodore - 5259 Falcons to 5230 Commodores.

Territory remains the biggest selling SUV - 1319 in July. In spite of all Toyota's sales push Kluger remains in the 300s - 351. A lot was said about the $4000 price cut for Adventra but the price of Klugers has dropped about $10,000 compared to before the Territory was released, but it hasn't saved them from dropping off the map. I'd be kicking myself if I bought a Kluger pre 2004 and unlike Holden Toyota hasn't offered any refunds!
Old 17-08-2006, 08:20 AM   #60
Falcon Freak
Banned

Yes we have noticed. Total sales to end of July 2006:

Falcon: 25,969
Falcon Ute: 9,450
Fairlane/LTD: 710
Territory: 11,419

Total: 47,548

Commodore: 30,702
Ute/Crewman: 9,221
Statesman/Caprice: 1,320
Adventra: 1,644
Monaro: 743

Total: 43,630

Ford has its biggest lead over Holden for more than a decade.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post