Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #31
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Aren't most of the HIGH PERFORMANCE bridgestone tyres manufactured in Japan and USA anyways ?

Which Bridgestone tyres are locally manufactured ?........are these locally manufactured units any better than the LinLongs and Nankangs anyways ?

Are you serious? LinLongs, Double star, and all those other brands are HORRENDOUS! I have an NA 6 and I have Double Stars, it only puts out 150kw at the wheels. On the Highway in the wet at 100, I can sink the boot, and just play catch throw with the rear end. Thats with an LSD as well. Thats not normal for a normal tyre. They shouldnt even be available to buy.
Old 24-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #32
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Are you serious? LinLongs, Double star, and all those other brands are HORRENDOUS! I have an NA 6 and I have Double Stars, it only puts out 150kw at the wheels. On the Highway in the wet at 100, I can sink the boot, and just play catch throw with the rear end. Thats with an LSD as well. Thats not normal for a normal tyre. They shouldnt even be available to buy.
BLOODY TRUE!!! The half worn LingyYangYong's on the back of my BA are BLOODY DEATHTRAP'S!!!!
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #33
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just another nail in the coffin of Australian industry.

I work in Mining and Oil&Gas and it makes my head spin seeing stuff like Iron ore shipped off overseas and then we by it back as steel. Or in sub-standard Module Units for the mines and gas plants.

I currently working on a job in Oil&Gas and you should see some of the junk from Thailand. The other day we found a Flanged connection for a valve on a 750mm LNG pipe had been left out. Due to the location of where this valve need to be, It'll be a $100,000 job to get that fixed and fit the valve!!!. That is just one of many examples, yet somehow it's still more cost effective to have stuff made overseas in China, Thailand Ect. Then have Australian workers fix all the F-up's, than manufacture it hear!!!

You look at stuff that comes out of places like Germany, Holland, US and Australia and the workmanship and quality is first class, the things that come out of Asia is Bat S*&^
Old 24-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #34
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Does this mean no more RE92's?
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #35
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
It'll also hurt BJ T-Marts as from what I know they were still getting the All Rounder made by them after changed from SPT, where they go to now would be anyones guess, hope its not a chinese or indo import

How is the Bridgestone closure really going to effect BJ's? The out of rounder would have to rate amongst the Linglongs and Wanlis for quality.

Then factor in, BJ's has their finger in most tyre suppliers pies. It isn't going to hurt them at all really.

I really hope the BJ T-Mart near me doesn't close down. The workers there keep me employed at my work place. (I don't work for BJ's either)

The only people I feel sorry for is the factory workers. Poor fellas have got to stress where their next meal ticket is coming from.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #36
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I heard from a very reliable source that Ford and Holden have abandoned Bridgestone as a tyre supplier, this is one of the reasons why the factories are closing.
Can anyone back this up or provide other info?

Ed
Old 24-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford use Dunlops. Holden have used Bridgestone and continue to do so I think.

I'd assume they will now source them from OS.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #38
B&D Racing
Banned

Considering the reo50s are a $850 replacement for the commonwhorrs then good riddance I reckon ?!
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #39
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
10 years ago I did a 12 hours shift cleaning the plant/equipment because the permanents there wouldn't do it. The same day had done a previous 8 hours shift at another place for a job agency who begged me do this shift at Bridgestone. A bunch of execs from Japan were paying a visit.

The workers along with the unions blessing had run amok in this place... 2:00 AM and some of the workers turn off the line, and go outside for a puff of weed, even got offered some, said no of course.

The CEO had written a very stern/direct letter which was posted for all to see in the change rooms. He was complaining about how they had to import tyres because the locals would never make the numbers required. He really let loose. Examples of unions endorsed work practices that were crippling the company etc

Or how about the forklift driver I met that night who was on over $100,000 a year ! Sympathise all you like with the poor workers, but I spoke to four managers that shift who knew what was going on but they just shook their heads, nothing they could do.
I'm not terribly surprised. When will the extremist unions learn they're only robbing themselves in the longterm!

Quote:
Does this mean no more RE92's?
Probably, but they are getting mighty long in the tooth and weren't really a stellar tyre to start off with. Weren't they standard fitment on the VN/VP Commodore?
Old 25-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #40
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Aren't most of the HIGH PERFORMANCE bridgestone tyres manufactured in Japan and USA anyways ?

Which Bridgestone tyres are locally manufactured ?........are these locally manufactured units any better than the LinLongs and Nankangs anyways ?
Depends on the pattern. The Adrenalins ive been eyeing are locally made in the size i'm after (195/50/R15) but other sizes arent, not even the 205/50/R15's.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #41
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I'm not terribly surprised. When will the extremist unions

learn they're only robbing themselves in the longterm!
Workers, particularly skilled workers shouldn't have to work for peanuts!!

Say what ya want about unions but they have done some bloody good things for working Australians. I'm not in a Union, but they do have a place and I have worked on union sites.

I'm on what i consider good money working FIFO, People i know who work in offices in the city like to have a dig about how much i get payed. I give them a run down on what i do and the hours we work, Not one of them would swap there 9-5 office job for a FIFO Job in the Pilbara or Northwest shelf.
Old 25-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #42
SVD

all the good bridgestones are made in japan,

Quote:
I have to agree with you Maurie. We, as Australians, have priced ourselves out of the markets. The governments don't help the cause either with their foolish unjust decision making, constantly selling off and taxing Australian industries (they are starting on the coal industry now ..... which they already get royalties from)to line there pockets and super funds and cover the deficit (26-27 billion last I looked) that has been run up since the current government has come into power. We have been sold out people. We are like lambs .... being sent to the slaughter.
It is truely a disappointment for those who are going to be affected by this. I do feel for them as I know what it was like to live on the bones of your a$re.
How do we stop this from happening and hopefully reverse it ..... for our childrens sakes? After all, how do we expect them to have pride in their country when we, as a nation, own nothing ourselves?
and the sale of government compaines doesn't count as a stupid move... that was a howard trick if i remember.
the governments we elect are not doing it for the people...EVER!!! they are there for them selves, for instance they got a pay rise recently...
its a shame bridgestone is going, but im not surprised, they are quite expensive and the good ones that are cheap aren't sold here... maybe if they kicked up they're manufacturing and started slashing pay they would stay, but unfortunately we aren't china and we don't run on close to slave labour, everyone wants to be rich but no one wants to work the hard yards for a fairer pay.

Guys at the top paid too much guys at the bottom basically ignored guys in the middle is a rollarcoaster!
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #43
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
10 years ago I did a 12 hours shift cleaning the plant/equipment because the permanents there wouldn't do it. The same day had done a previous 8 hours shift at another place for a job agency who begged me do this shift at Bridgestone. A bunch of execs from Japan were paying a visit.

The workers along with the unions blessing had run amok in this place... 2:00 AM and some of the workers turn off the line, and go outside for a puff of weed, even got offered some, said no of course.

The CEO had written a very stern/direct letter which was posted for all to see in the change rooms. He was complaining about how they had to import tyres because the locals would never make the numbers required. He really let loose. Examples of unions endorsed work practices that were crippling the company etc

Or how about the forklift driver I met that night who was on over $100,000 a year ! Sympathise all you like with the poor workers, but I spoke to four managers that shift who knew what was going on but they just shook their heads, nothing they could do.
100%spot on jonk,i go there often ,some top guys who work there some have become freinds(im sad for them there familys and buisness that work with bridgstone who will now also be afected) the union was happy to create a( THE BOSS IS A EVIL BABY EATING MORON) who doesnt give a stuff about you ,lets strike,dont do that job your not ment to,demarkation disputes all the time attuide, another company destroyed buy extremly poor wotk ethic,if you have ever walked into the place YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IM SAYING,the stupid thing is the union will blame every thing else,Sure other factors play apart in this ,but haveing a militant union holding back production for year in year out ,going on strike because the lunch room didnt have the right cook working that shift will be enuff for buisnes to say why bother loosing money here close the gate

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #44
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X

Say what ya want about unions but they have done some bloody good things for working Australians. I'm not in a Union, but they do have a place and I have worked on union sites.
And thats why i said extremist unions. I am a member of my work's union, but only because they're a fair union. Just like cob115 said, having a militant union is only going to come out as the members the losers.
Old 25-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #45
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you feel 100K is a fair rate of pay for a fork lift driver ??????????? yea right lets help export more jobs with pay rates like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X

I'm on what i consider good money working FIFO, People i know who work in offices in the city like to have a dig about how much i get payed. I give them a run down on what i do and the hours we work, Not one of them would swap there 9-5 office job for a FIFO Job in the Pilbara or Northwest shelf.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #46
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I'm assuming this does not affect the tractor tyre industry?
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #47
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
so you feel 100K is a fair rate of pay for a fork lift driver ??????????? yea right lets help export more jobs with pay rates like this
It depends, he could be working 12 hour night shifts 6 days a week, I don't know??

I worked on a commissioning crew on a Gold mine as a Mechy Fitter, i was on 200k+ a year... I worked 84 hour weeks on full time Night shift, had 1 night off a fortnight. Got 7 days R&R after every 4 weeks to go home and attempt to have a life.

To me the money was only just acceptable and in the end it wasn't enough to keep me there, i quit 2 months before it went operational as i could feel i was starting too loose it.
Old 25-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #48
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In another 20 -30 years time we will manufacture absolutely nothing in this country .. everything will be imported.

What will my children do? ... What do I tell them? ... How do I explain to them that 20 or so years ago we gave our Country away?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #49
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
In another 20 -30 years time we will manufacture absolutely nothing in this country .. everything will be imported.

What will my children do? ... What do I tell them? ... How do I explain to them that 20 or so years ago we gave our Country away?
MAGIC DIRT.. We dig the dirt up.. we send it away on a boat.. then it comes back on a boat.. All shiny and in a box... Sad reallity of it all...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #50
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
MAGIC DIRT.. We dig the dirt up.. we send it away on a boat.. then it comes back on a boat.. All shiny and in a box... Sad reallity of it all...

The problem with that is when the countries who make the shiny box revolutionise and unionise we will be exposed to spikes in pricing of neccessary consumer products.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #51
reece1
reece1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I purposely buy bridgestones because they are australian made. this is sad.
well said, me too. people really need to get on the buy australian bandwagon. as when all our aussie made stuff is gone, the price of these imported cheap tyres wont be cheap anymore. they will have market share and then the price will rise. as there is no local competitor. another sad day for this country and the aussie manufacturing industry. our govt has alot to answer for letting so many imports undercut our own product. think back 15 to 20 years ago things were dearer because we did not have as much of the imported garbage. but it lasted longer when you bought it and we all had more money to spend. because the margins were not so tight and there was more money to go around. i feel sorry for any worker in the manufacturing industry in australia. good one kevin dudd
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #52
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good maybe now theyll make decent duellers instead of the rubbish they palm off onto all brand new 4x4s ..... shame it just has to affect aussie workers

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
The problem with that is when the countries who make the shiny box revolutionise and unionise we will be exposed to spikes in pricing of neccessary consumer products.
What will then happen is the manufacturers will move production to a country thats even poorer. Its already happening now with some companies making stuff in China starting to move production to places such as India where they can pay even less. Once Indians start to demand higher pay you can be assured they will move on to the next poorest country. Its all about the money.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #54
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What will then happen is the manufacturers will move production to a country thats even poorer. Its already happening now with some companies making stuff in China starting to move production to places such as India where they can pay even less. Once Indians start to demand higher pay you can be assured they will move on to the next poorest country. Its all about the money.
Vietnam is another one mate.

I've got some business shirts that say Vietnam where I expect to see China.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #55
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/...aust_made.aspx

Unless you bought tyres that were on that page, they weren't Aussie made.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #56
jonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
well said, me too. people really need to get on the buy australian bandwagon. as when all our aussie made stuff is gone, the price of these imported cheap tyres wont be cheap anymore. they will have market share and then the price will rise. as there is no local competitor. another sad day for this country and the aussie manufacturing industry. our govt has alot to answer for letting so many imports undercut our own product. think back 15 to 20 years ago things were dearer because we did not have as much of the imported garbage. but it lasted longer when you bought it and we all had more money to spend. because the margins were not so tight and there was more money to go around. i feel sorry for any worker in the manufacturing industry in australia. good one kevin dudd
I'm going to quote you on this because it's... good what you're saying, the intention is there but ! If they have to make up/backup with imports with what we do in Oz, as a fall back... the system ain't working.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 01:23 AM   #57
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll miss those RE-92's (not :P )
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #58
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Yes I am serious, and you didn't offer any reasonable comparison between any locally made Bridgestone product and the cheap imported product.

My understanding is that most of the Performance tyres of which Bridgestone has developed its reputation on and was supplying to HSV , Porsche , etc etc are manufactured in Japan.

It is still a sad day for Bridgestone in Australia, but we all contribute in a way with our wallets when we purchase anything.........If most of the population is not convined on the local product and wants to fork out their hard earnt on the imported product........then the local product needs to be something extremely special and extremely competitive / unique to be able to draw people away from the initial $$$ disadvantage. I don't recall any locally made Bridgestone product that may fit this category...........I am happy to be proven wrong.

( remember that imported products like tyres - automotive parts etc are dutiable when they are imported , so the Australian Govt takes a nice slice of 5% or greater from these bulk imports.........maybe some of that needs to go to helping the poor locally disenfranchised workers ??? )
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #59
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Vietnam is another one mate.

I've got some business shirts that say Vietnam where I expect to see China.
Yep China has started outsourcing bits and pieces to Vietnam (due to cheap labor)

This is a concern as manufacturing is till the largest employer of people in Aust. If Aust manufacturing was to close its doors I would hate to think what our unemployment rate would be.

The wages paid to the workers is half the story, taxes, costs and legislation that is imposed on business in Aust is the other half. Combined it makes it difficult compete with overseas manufacturing.

This doesnt just affect the manufacturing Industry either, you can train and hire an overseas graduate (India is producing something like one million graduates a year) for a lot less than what you can here. I was told by a senior accountant that they could train and hire someone for 12 months for approx. $15,000 pa. Next industries to follow will be IT and finance.

Wait til ETS starts it will simply make it more difficult to keep jobs in Aust.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #60
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

( remember that imported products like tyres - automotive parts etc are dutiable when they are imported , so the Australian Govt takes a nice slice of 5% or greater from these bulk imports.........maybe some of that needs to go to helping the poor locally disenfranchised workers ??? )
You have forgotton FTA's ESP........I'd say majority of automotive products especially consumables gov picks up via the gst.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post