Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #31
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VICTORIAN police have been caught speeding 735 times and drink-driving 109 times since 2003. Some off-duty police were caught with a blood alcohol reading more than four times the legal limit. Some example we are all human . all i can say that every day i lose a little love for this country and that is obviouly not just cause these bs hoon laws .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #32
fiesta8u

yeah that was up at foreshore road, i was there he he he, and no i wasnt doing anything just watching, acctually they've got the story wrong, 2 cars got inpounded for drag racing and the rest burnouts ;)
fiesta8u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM   #33
mikestp
EF Ghia

I think the cops gota relise that every young boy wants to go fast
you cant change it, its bred into them.
nothing will stop them from doing it
the only thing u can do to stop P-platers from dying is make them go to a compulsery session in the skidpan when they get their license so they know their limits and no how to get themselves out of trouble when they find themselves going backwards at 200 clicks an hour

And for burnouts i dont see why people take them so seriously... they arnt hurting anyone, drifting is a little different but like i said, best cure for that is time in a skidpan
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #34
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

What sort of knob does it in town? Especially during a blitz. Deserves to lose his car for being an idiot.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #35
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
What a load of BS. How does a burnout = a $200k fine. It's a long bow to draw but a car worth that sort of money could well of been his super fund or any number of other random suggestions ... I hope he starts a meth lab in his basement to get his money back.
I agree, but apparently a meth lab is also a $200k fine!
Manufacturing methylamphetamine is a serious offence, taking part therein is likewise a serious offence, and it is punishable by a maximum penalty of 25 years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to $200,000.
http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/judgment...4-SASC-105.htm

And it appears beating up a police officer and resisting arrest is a $900 fine!
http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/judgment...8-SASC-102.htm

What message are they trying to send???
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #36
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
What sort of knob does it in town? Especially during a blitz. Deserves to lose his car for being an idiot.
You're from Victoria and I guess you don't know where this happened. Botany is an industrial area. I wasn't there, but if it happened where I think it did there wouldn't have been people around.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #37
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Yep, given he is a repeat offender, take it off him for 12 months then give it back to him. Charge him for secure storage whilst they're at it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #38
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
You're from Victoria and I guess you don't know where this happened. Botany is an industrial area. I wasn't there, but if it happened where I think it did there wouldn't have been people around.
True, without all the facts, i can't say much...
Was it a club event?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #39
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
I think the cops gota relise that every young boy wants to go fast
you cant change it, its bred into them.
nothing will stop them from doing it
Well I want lots of money you can't change that , it's bread into me so the cops should realise that and let me rob banks? /sarcasm. this would have to be a contender for the stupidest post of the year. there are places you can go fast legally , it's called a race track or a drag strip . we have speed limits for a reason . ok maybe some limits are a bit stupid but generally they are there to save lives but fools like you say it's ok to speed the nasty cops shouls leave us alone . get real

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #40
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

How can a car that is not owned by the perpetrator of said car crime (burnout) be held accountable and subsequently crushed???????

IE A motor vehicle incumbered by finance???

What next, drug use during a party in a home subject to mortgage will be burned due to the illegality of the behaviour of the occupants?????

The friggin lending institution / finance company owns it! How can the police destroy the property of someone / something else.

This is just ludicrous, and it will be beaten in court if and when contested by someone with a few quid to pay a decent lawyer.

The nancy nation just got one step closer to the good old U S of A.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #41
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I said a while back in relation to these laws that there will be someone in an expensive car caught. Then the punishment will be well out of proportion to the crime. A burnout is a victimless crime - no one got hurt, was poorer after, suffered emotionally, was seriously affected, etc apart from the nuisance factor of noise and marks on the road. How can that add up to a $200,000 fine! There is no other road punishment greater. It is wrong.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #42
Wally
XP Coupe

Here's some food for thought,

In Qld In the last decade the number of traffic cops has risen from 297 to 366 (23%) In the same period the number of vehicles on the road has risen 40%. In 1998 there were 279 fatalities in 1998, 314 in 1999 and 360 in 2007. The comparative toll for the period to April 27 is:

2003 92
2004 92
2005 86
2006 98
2007 110
2008 104

:- on track for about 340 for 2008 (21% increase on 1998).

So an increase of 23% for cops, 21% increase in fatalities and 40% increase in road usage. However 1998 tends to be an aberation, and if 1999 is used as the baseline the increase in fatalities is a projected 8%.

I'm sure there are many ways to put a spin on the figures including better medical treatment, effective policing, etc, but a reduction of 15% in policing per vehicle has resulted in a reduction of 30% fatalities per vehicle.

It's also uncanny how the number of police on the roads tends to equal the total fatalities:- 1997 297 police; 297 deaths, 2007 ~360 police; 360 deaths. Makes me wonder if the staffing policy is linked to fatalities.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #43
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a time and a place for having fun legally, and despite the area, the end results for the car owners show that obviously wasn't the time or the place.

The owners were on clear notice that if they did it again there was dire consequences. Agreed the punishment is way out of proportion to that conferred on other crimes considered much more anti social, but if I had been caught smokin up the NC once (not that I'd do it on the road but hypothetically..) let alone a $200K investment, then I would be damn sure to make sure that if I wanted to do it again I would do it somewhere legal.

I have some sympathy for the owners being handed a punishment far in excess of the crime, but the fact that the whole thing could have so easily been avoided is the real shame.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #44
gtfpv
GT

whats. next. take your house off you for too many late night parties.
your property is your property. i'm afriad spinning the wheels on a road . shouldnt justify your car being taken off you. if your a known andare doing thios on say a highway ( doughnuts for example) then yes maybe .
i'd much rather see a fine or weekend detention for bad behaviour, not confiscation of ones property. it's simply way wrong
grow up australia . we need to stop kicking people when they are down . not hand over power to the government .
penalties yes. drivers licence confiscated yes. take your property, for a road offence where no body has been hurt. no way HOSEY'
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #45
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Burnouts and streetracing are victimless crimes? right !!! tell that to the families of those that get killked when it all goes pearshaped. he looses a GT ok but he knew he would if he got caught it was not his first time. instead of crushing is should be sold and the procedes go to charity and as a sentence he should have to wash it weekly for a year for the new owner to totaly humiliate him.
burnouts on the street are not legal and not tollerated it is actively discouraged by this forum and needs to be moved to a legal venue, yes they do exist but some are too stupid to use them

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #46
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
There is a time and a place for having fun legally, and despite the area, the end results for the car owners show that obviously wasn't the time or the place.

The owners were on clear notice that if they did it again there was dire consequences. Agreed the punishment is way out of proportion to that conferred on other crimes considered much more anti social, but if I had been caught smokin up the NC once (not that I'd do it on the road but hypothetically..) let alone a $200K investment, then I would be damn sure to make sure that if I wanted to do it again I would do it somewhere legal.

I have some sympathy for the owners being handed a punishment far in excess of the crime, but the fact that the whole thing could have so easily been avoided is the real shame.

I KNOW THE AREA. it is pretty much safe as far as danger to the public .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #47
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

The punishment absolutely DOES NOT fit the crime. We may as well all get $400 Sigmas and get those impounded instead.

What ****es me off is that it is all up to the Police Officer's discretion. In my experience, I would not trust a Police Officer as far as I could throw one (ie not at all).
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #48
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I KNOW THE AREA. it is pretty much safe as far as danger to the public .
Yeah I know the area too. While the general public are unlikely to be around, there are large number of other cars around, with a number of similarly minded spectators. There is no burnout pad segregated from the spectators by armco etc, there is no fire equipment handy, and there is no medical response unless someone just happens to have a first aid cert or qualification.

Yeah, generally it works out and no one gets hurt, but in the uncontrolled environment if it all goes pear shaped - instead of bending some guards and some armco, someone's missus, girlfriend, boyfriend or kid gets hammered. For what, saving an entry fee to a proper facility? Getting kicks out of doing something illegal? - if its the latter then that's the chance you take that your car will find a new owner without any consideration to you.

Don't get me wrong, my mates and I love a bit of sideways and smokin' action. Got the vids to prove it, only thing is those vids are not on public roads.

My Commo driving brother (who actually drives the thing with consideration for others on the road) quit his car club because the crap that they used to do on public roads. He was 18 at the time and impressionable and I give him huge credit for being much more mature than people twice his age.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #49
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The scary thing though is that which a few people have raised, what actually consititutes a burnout? Sure if the front wheels are stationary and the back is doing 360's and smoke everywhere it is pretty clear, but the possibility of chirping wheels into second, or legitimate momentary loss of traction being lumped into the mix should cause even the most law abiding motorists concern.

Same as if two cars just happen to move quickly from the lights, is that a street race? I don't have a problem with the concept of the laws, or their application on the reported facts on Sunday night, but I agree with other posters that there is the scope of misinterpretation and misuse by the HWP and that this should concern us all until the actual construction of the legislation is clear.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #50
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
All i can say that every day i lose a little love for this country and that is obviouly not just cause these bs hoon laws .
I have a feeling your view is a little more widespread than others might expect, I evidence this by the way people drive, daily.

Lets face it, many people drive 'badly' deliberately; one - because they can (get away with it), two - they do so as the only real way they have at showing displeasure at the 'state of society' around them, and sometimes for other unattached reasons. Sure- some are genuinely bad.

Such repressive?? law becomes reality because of the advocacy of 'determined individuals' and groups (Walk etc), and 'apathy' by the public- ensures it will often pass.

I am personally not comfortable with the 'total confiscation and then sale or crushing of vehicles', for mild-offences, IF I had my way, i'd overturn the existing NSW legislation.

We are left then 'what to do' with say 'cheap cars' in particular caught doing burnouts around corners in busy areas and in residential areas where 'amenity' (comfort) is paramount. Should we have a stated financial cap where a vehicle of xx value shall not be crushed/sold? What then does that value message send out?

Police will point out that repeat offenders often do not repeat thereafter, so - what legislation should be in place to deter and or punish the behaviour of those who drive over-enthausiastically?

Much about Australia that I grew up in since 63' has changed, it is simply *not* the place it once was. (I have lived many years OS).

As far as I can tell, nobody has challenged these state regulations at national level.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #51
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
The nancy nation just got one step closer to the good old U S of A.
I honestly think if something were to happen like this in the USA there would be a lot of Police Officers with more holes in their bodies than they originally came with...
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #52
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I honestly think if something were to happen like this in the USA there would be a lot of Police Officers with more holes in their bodies than they originally came with...
California crushes cars. Apathy means hard law gets passed.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #53
gozza

Burnouts can be a small break of traction or a full blown skid - Either in the eyes of Mr Plod can be justified for impounding a vehicle-

Its utter crap - Tyres can be chirped in many different ways - If i was caught smoking the tyres i would happily accept a punishment - a tiny chirp should not be punished with impounding of cars

Look out side the box and don't just read things and believe - " do the crime to the time" comments are idiotic - fools

Out of the car impounding statistic i wonder how many have actually done a proper burnout - and how many have been targeting with a weak excuse
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #54
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Much about Australia that I grew up in since 63' has changed, it is simply *not* the place it once was. (I have lived many years OS).
I've been around a bit longer than you and I can say in many ways it's a whole lot better, but in others it's a damned sight worse. There was an all too brief respite from individual interference by Govt for a couple decades there, but they're back with a vengeance with heavy hitting legislation across the board to keep us intimidated and the sub editors happy.

Confiscating property is an old draconian method of punishment that belongs in Dickensian times, but if the population won't do as they are told then we must be flogged into submission.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #55
colossus
Secret Sleuth

The problem, as Mr Bastard has already pointed out, is the number of sheep in society willing to swallow the governments line.

How anyone can not see what is wrong with confiscating/selling the personal property of an individual at a police officers discretion for a minor traffic offence is certainly beyond me.

There are far more problems is society that need to be addressed than people doing burnouts in an industrial area. The resources of Operation Torque would be better spent on battling drug crime or robberies.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #56
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

you have to ask whether the spending on 30 police 4 nights a week for 3 months to get 30 cars off the road is a worthy use of our money.

i think not.

as far as harming the public and killing innocent bystanders goes, if its an industrial area in the middle of the night with no residents, there are no innocent bystanders. you go there because you know what is going on. take responsibility for your own actions! why do parents and victims feel the need to blame someone else?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #57
ch33z1l
Dawn

I see no problem in confiscating a persons car for street racing, if in the case they are actually racing. Where is the harm in a group of people congregating to admire anothers work. What is a bit cheap, is officers picking on anyone with a P-plate displayed with a defect notice.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #58
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
as far as harming the public and killing innocent bystanders goes, if its an industrial area in the middle of the night with no residents, there are no innocent bystanders. you go there because you know what is going on. take responsibility for your own actions! why do parents and victims feel the need to blame someone else?
I know the area too I grew up there. Industrial area? yes! no night trafic ? no there are shiftworkers using those roads . there are also truck coming and going at all hours and as i understand it the bus depot has moved there since i left.
It's simple really obey the law and keep your car

Rides:

Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #59
AKA302

Guys you got to understand a few points, this has been going on for years in Brighton Le Sands (NSW). Brighton is a very popular spot by the beach, full of cafe's and heaps of sexy chicks. Its a magnet for young and old guys to hang out. The thing is cops are there in numbers every sunday knowing that these so called Hoons are going to be there and any little thing they do wrong the cops lay down the law. Like i said before they know the cops will be there but don't give a sh#@ and continue to get caught.
AKA302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #60
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
And it appears beating up a police officer and resisting arrest is a $900 fine!
http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/judgment...8-SASC-102.htm

What message are they trying to send???
Did you even read that link? He assaulted the policeman by pulling his finger. Maybe a firing squad is in order. Beating up indeed.

As for the rest of you "You get what you deserve" try hards, feel free to believe these laws are only aimed at hoons. They are aimed at motoring enthusiasts, they are aimed vehicle modifiers. They are aimed at YOU. You are a blight on our community, today tonight told me so.

You are all full of and wind until its you who are standing tall before the man facing a hooning charge because you left the lights a little quick to do a lane change, or left the car wash and chirped the wet tyres as you left. Oh but these arent hooning are they? They can be when a police officer says it is, and when he needs to fill his quota.

Ive seen a basic pull over from a tyre chirp turn into vehicle confiscation & defect, resisting arrest and license disqualification, 99% trumped up, first hand. I'm betting the closest many of you have gotten to a real police incident is what you saw last week on Law and Order. If this isnt the case, then you should know better.

If the law is in the books, it can be used against you, but feel free to keep shrugging and giving away what few rights you have until you have none at all. You wont miss them, or your cars, im sure.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post