Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Re: Need A Job

Yep. I hate not getting calls, I will often just give a call to see if the job is still available. However what is worse than no call, is doing a "trial" I did 5hrs unpaid the other day just for a casual job, still no call and she still had more people to "trial" in the meantime, I have an interview for a full time job and am hoping to hear about a job doing 4 and 4 shift work.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fex
Do you know what ***** me off the most , Is when you apply for so many jobs and NO one replies back to you , since xmas I have appled for for about 40 to 50 jobs not one reply. so if anybody out there knows of a job going please inbox me
yeah it`s a bit average for sure, i spoke to an employment coordinator some years agoas a friend, one ofthe many facts he told me, but one that stuck in my head was, with 100 applications you should expect to have a 1 in a 100 chance these days,
i guess that probably is dependent on how many skills you have, but still it`s probably a fair assessment these days for the average joe, keep pluggin mate.

Last edited by mik; 27-01-2012 at 12:53 PM.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #33
98fex

thank you for all the support, It makes me feel a better that I am not the only one going thought it. Becauce I thought I was doing something wrong. what I have learnt is I need it up date my resume. and again thank you!
98fex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
Then you should go for it!
I am not is to sales.
Old 27-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks mate, But its not working.
Sorry about that

Chandler Macleod
07 4681 6200
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thank you for all the support, It makes me feel a better that I am not the only one going thought it. Becauce I thought I was doing something wrong. what I have learnt is I need it up date my resume. and again thank you!
indeed mate , the resume is very important, he also pointed that out, in fact i think in your own best interest it would be worthwhile to have a session with one of these employment coordinators, they will show you how best to do your resume , how best to approach the your prospective employer, in my opinion even if you had to spend a couple of hundred seeing one of these people it would be well worth it, i believe CES/social security offices have these people as a free service, good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #37
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are physically fit and want to work in construction, pay starts out resonable and if you get in and have a good go it becomes real good.

Look up a Post Tensioning company and see if you can get a start, lots of Bris / Gold coast work. Might have to start as a casual because of the rain but if you are good and turn up without lots of sick days and do a good days work you will soon be full time and regular.
something wrong is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #38
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

And from the other side of the coin, when I had a few guys working for me, there are so many absolute dope's out there.

I trialled (paid trial) several 'qualified' sparkies,
and the end result was negative $ for me, as several of them damaged customer premises,
and one even stole a company etag from one of my work cars.

I only worked out where it went, when we got the next monthly statement.
It took us threatening a police report on him, before he admitted to having it, and I still had to drive 45mins to his house to get it from his letterbox.

Definitely made me think twice about employing people in the future.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #39
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

There ya go.....

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/aust...-1226255943910

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #40
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I agree, But I am not after big money I am just after a Job. I BELIEVE IN A FAIR DAYS WORK FOR A FAIR DAYS PAY so I can support my family.
Old 29-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #41
damo03
BBQ gas User

Agreed with others saying that the resume must be tip top! It is worth while paying to have your resume professionally checked as well as your cover letter for jobs! Any error will be picked up and your application chucked immediately.

I was having heaps of trouble until I asked a professional for some advice and realised that my cover letter wasn't up to scratch. After that I had a much greater response.

A tip I was given for the cover letter was to structure it as follows: You, Me, Us...

That is talk about the company and why you want to work for them
Talk about your skills and experience you can bring to the company
Talk about how both of you can work together

No more than 4 paragraphs either. Your resume should give detailed info of all of your experience.

As others have said, personally handing in your application, to the person who advertised it may help also, especially if you ask them some questions, and can have a bit of a conversation so they can get a feel for you, and you for the job. It may give you a head start.

Good luck.
Old 30-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had an interview this morning with Flight Centre HR department for a travel agent role and got told that I should expect a reply in 2-3 working days. Nonetheless, I got turned down by 2pm this morning!!

Bear in mind, I had the interview at 9am this morning, and I walk into the office and all I see are fat office ladies, not a single guy, and they are all in clicks not doing any work at all (at 9am monday morning) The other two girls who went for the job had no sales experience at all, and they both got offered a job (we exchanged emails to see who got a job).

So I've filed for a Gender discrimination case, being 20 and a male I feel as though there was a Bias in the interview and it certainly felt like it. Nonetheless, I still want to try and become a travel agent, Flight centre pays well and there are centres close to home, but I can't get a job there for as long as they have a sexist HR department.

Had my little rant now too
Old 30-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #43
98fex

sorry
Quote:
I just had an interview this morning with Flight Centre HR department for a travel agent role and got told that I should expect a reply in 2-3 working days. Nonetheless, I got turned down by 2pm this morning!!

Bear in mind, I had the interview at 9am this morning, and I walk into the office and all I see are fat office ladies, not a single guy, and they are all in clicks not doing any work at all (at 9am monday morning) The other two girls who went for the job had no sales experience at all, and they both got offered a job (we exchanged emails to see who got a job).

So I've filed for a Gender discrimination case, being 20 and a male I feel as though there was a Bias in the interview and it certainly felt like it. Nonetheless, I still want to try and become a travel agent, Flight centre pays well and there are centres close to home, but I can't get a job there for as long as they have a sexist HR department.

sorry to hear that, I have a interview at 9am for a band new company call flamestop filling fire extinguishersand some.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #44
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you still have the forklift ticket i may be able to help you out but it's a job at the airport although if your interested call Sam at Aviation Labour Group i might have his number if you want it send a pm.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #45
b2tf
not here much anymore

How many of you guys have qualifications eg Cert IV etc? Some of them are quite easy and relevant to a lot of different industries, Cert IV Frontline Management is a good one to have and can be applied to lots of different jobs - worth thinking about and any costs incurred can be claimed on your tax return.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #46
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
How many of you guys have qualifications eg Cert IV etc? Some of them are quite easy and relevant to a lot of different industries, Cert IV Frontline Management is a good one to have and can be applied to lots of different jobs - worth thinking about and any costs incurred can be claimed on your tax return.
I got my Cert III business and about 3 days left for my Diploma of management
The diploma is a lot of HR and recruitment related stuff as well, so worst comes to worst I know that recruitment staff make more than sales staff... just gotta finish my Diploma!
Old 31-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #47
icer
Winning's Winning!

anyone looking for a new national it manager? Id move for 100k+ pm me

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #48
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:

I wish you luck but you are completely naive to think that an employer doesn'y say, "For this position we want an attractive girl 18-23". The poliically correct advertisement is placed and they employ who they want.

By challenging the way you are , the only thing you guarantee is that you won't ever get a job there.

In regard to applying for jobs and getting rejected, there is nothing personal going on. What I would suggest is that you make contact with the potential employer after you are rejected and ask them why you didn't get further. 10 years ago my wife applied for a job and didn't get it. She rang and asked why not and was told that they were too busy too look through all the resumes they received and agreed she was a good fit for the job.

The job was offered to someone else who didn't take it and my wife is still there, directly as a result of questioning the rejection.

Do it nicely, do it profesionally but that sort of persistence will make you stand out from the crowd.

I don't envy you in the sightest.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #49
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
I wish you luck but you are completely naive to think that an employer doesn'y say, "For this position we want an attractive girl 18-23". The poliically correct advertisement is placed and they employ who they want.

By challenging the way you are , the only thing you guarantee is that you won't ever get a job there.

In regard to applying for jobs and getting rejected, there is nothing personal going on. What I would suggest is that you make contact with the potential employer after you are rejected and ask them why you didn't get further. 10 years ago my wife applied for a job and didn't get it. She rang and asked why not and was told that they were too busy too look through all the resumes they received and agreed she was a good fit for the job.

The job was offered to someone else who didn't take it and my wife is still there, directly as a result of questioning the rejection.

Do it nicely, do it profesionally but that sort of persistence will make you stand out from the crowd.

I don't envy you in the sightest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
yeah it`s a bit average for sure, i spoke to an employment coordinator some years agoas a friend, one ofthe many facts he told me, but one that stuck in my head was, with 100 applications you should expect to have a 1 in a 100 chance these days,
i guess that probably is dependent on how many skills you have, but still it`s probably a fair assessment these days for the average joe, keep pluggin mate.
I agree question the rejection I have done that before.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #50
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo03
Agreed with others saying that the resume must be tip top! It is worth while paying to have your resume professionally checked as well as your cover letter for jobs! Any error will be picked up and your application chucked immediately.

I was having heaps of trouble until I asked a professional for some advice and realised that my cover letter wasn't up to scratch. After that I had a much greater response.

A tip I was given for the cover letter was to structure it as follows: You, Me, Us...

That is talk about the company and why you want to work for them
Talk about your skills and experience you can bring to the company
Talk about how both of you can work together

No more than 4 paragraphs either. Your resume should give detailed info of all of your experience.

As others have said, personally handing in your application, to the person who advertised it may help also, especially if you ask them some questions, and can have a bit of a conversation so they can get a feel for you, and you for the job. It may give you a head start.

Good luck.
Not bad.

Like!
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #51
98fex

Quote:
Do you know what ***** me off the most , Is when you apply for so many jobs and NO one replies back to you , since xmas I have appled for for about 40 to 50 jobs not one reply. so if anybody out there knows of a job going please inbox me
I went for two interviews one today and one yesterday another waste of time, sorry for have whinge on here, but I feeling quite down at the moment. It just that I have been out of for 2 1/2 year. I got laid off 2 weeks before my wedding still have not been on hunnymoon yet. I feel like I have let my wife and kids down. Yes I can't sleep at night becauce I am trying to think of ways to fix my live up but I keep hitting brick walls
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #52
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you want ALG's number? there currently looking for a few new workers. i'll grab there website link and the money is never less than $24per/hour

here's one:http://www.aviationlabour.com/job-search

and another:http://www.aviationlabour.com/job-search (the one i currently work at easy as pie and im getting 40 hours a week.)

ps. if you want a referee to get a foot in the door i'll gladly help you out as i've got quite a bit of pull with ALG. so just ask.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #53
Miss_XR6

Landing jobs these days is alot harder than 10 odd years ago.
You now have hundreds of people applying sometimes for 1 position and the recrutier will look at what resumes stand out best and slim it down to say 10 people and most companies now do phone interviews to slim it down to face to face
Make sure your resume is all correct and stands out and isnt pages long
Also ring companies or email companies directly even if they dont have advertised position sometimes a company needs someone but just cant find the right person till your resume comes in direct
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #54
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I've been asking why I didn't get asked back for a second interview or why I wasn't offered a job, all I do is ask them what I could have done differently and then when I get another phone interview, I'm able to say exactly what needs to be said, and it's been going well.

I had no luck at all with travel jobs, but finished my Diploma now and already have two interviews tomorrow for sales recruitment and they're both upwards of $55k.

So yeah I've had luck just by asking what needs to be said once it's safe to do so, and it's working so far. Hopefully going to be effective enough to land me a job where I finally get to wear a suit
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #55
Miss_XR6

Quote:
When I've been asking why I didn't get asked back for a second interview or why I wasn't offered a job, all I do is ask them what I could have done differently and then when I get another phone interview, I'm able to say exactly what needs to be said, and it's been going well.

I had no luck at all with travel jobs, but finished my Diploma now and already have two interviews tomorrow for sales recruitment and they're both upwards of $55k.

So yeah I've had luck just by asking what needs to be said once it's safe to do so, and it's working so far. Hopefully going to be effective enough to land me a job where I finally get to wear a suit

Do you have your diploma in travel???

If your in Sydney I can help you get into travel jobs thats what market ive been in for over 10 years
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #56
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_XR6
Do you have your diploma in travel???

If your in Sydney I can help you get into travel jobs thats what market ive been in for over 10 years
`
Nah I'm down here in Melbourne, and it's Diploma of management, so I did everything like HR, recruitment, rick management, managing projects and managing operational standards and that. I could go for a Trainee manager position in a pretty mediocre retail store if I really wanted, but there's more money in HR and recruitment.

I would actually recommend to anyone else looking for office jobs at the moment to strongly consider gaining your Diploma Of Management, because I've just now got a third interview for a recruitment role in three days, all still above $55k. So there are well paid jobs still there that I couldn't get my hands on without the qualification.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #57
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A hint for resume's as well, I put on mine in bold at the top:

Name
Address
Number
Email

I also always include a cover letter, and on both the resume and cover letter I include the job description, as the recruitment agents I've dealt with have all suggested using the vacant position title on the top of your resume and cover letter.

When flicking through resumes, they are looking for someone who matches the job title, and the resume with the exact job title of course catches their attention!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #58
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

For those in this thread who are looking for jobs with no luck, what kind of jobs are you looking for and having no luck in? Are you looking for certain jobs to match your qualifications or any job you can get?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #59
Link
Ford Nut

Another question for job seekers - what follow up do you do? if any??

I ALWAYS follow up, after dropping a resume and after having an interview - makes me sound keen to work (which is usually the case anyway) and keeps me at the forefront of the pack

First impressions count - we recently had an ad out for a new tyrefitter - dozens of people came in and dropped resumes in - 99% i had already screened before handing the resume to my boss as a no. Either didnt seem interested or werent fit for the role (no prior experience)

If applying online your cover letter is the key - if its not on the mark, they wont even check out your resume so you really need to highlight the points that they are after in a successful canditate, perhaps put some previous experience and anything else that might be of interest

Im no expert in this field, but just about every job i have gone for i have nailed, and i am usually always involved in hiring through the various roles i have been in, so these are just my tips!

Hope it all helps! Good luck with your search people!!
Link is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #60
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
For those in this thread who are looking for jobs with no luck, what kind of jobs are you looking for and having no luck in? Are you looking for certain jobs to match your qualifications or any job you can get?
I'm appling for Retail jobs mainly which i have loads of experience in, Labour hire which i have register with, thanks for really good points in this thread really helpful, sound to me like the whole job market is just getting worse and not getting any better.