Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: and you think that you work for peanuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
whether its true or not i wont go into. but i was talking to my neighbor the other day who is on the dole, she just turned down a job for $23 an hour, because she didnt want to start at 6am.
LOL, our senior auto elec is only paid $25 an hour and he's been in the game for 42 years if someone gave me the opportunity for $23 an hour I'd jump at it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
LOL, our senior auto elec is only paid $25 an hour and he's been in the game for 42 years if someone gave me the opportunity for $23 an hour I'd jump at it.
yeah, it is casual for the first three months though, so that includes casual loading, ie annual leave sick pay etc etc

but still, i simply couldnt fathom it when she said she turned it down. all because 6am is too early for her to start. she has no kids, her bf works full time, no reason for her not to work.

ok, its a boring repetitive factory job, but in a single shift they get something like 4 smoko breaks, they're pretty much guaranteed to go permanent after 3 months if they stick at it.

my ex has worked there since we moved here, shes now 2ic and earning about that as a permanent.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
gtfpv
GT

i've been to the phillipeans and seen people happier than me living under a tree by the beach . i've also seen kids living in cardboard boxes in the middle of the road . the locals dont really feed them , however wont let them die . i also gave some money to a one legged man on the street , who then proceeded to give me the middle finger , i also got ripped off by a taxi driver 800 pasos for a trip from the domestic air port to the international airport , and the drivers *** standing behind my wife if i refuse to pay . i was paying over $100 per day for food and water there .
i work with a phillipino on over 100k pa here thats about 2 million pasos, can you imagine how rich he is when he goes home . i cannot imagine going overseas and earning $2 mill au per year .
life is different in the phillipines . its hard to compare and sympathise, when some of them are happier than us .
i seen adults taking huge tips off tourists ,whilst not letting tourists give anything to homeless kids ,, in fear of losing thier tips .
i'll add more , i gave money to begging kids , quite a bit , who gave it to thier mum around the corner , who went straight into the grog shop and bought booze and ciggies . had a police officer try to sell me his badge in the middle of a shopping mall - yeah right ( quick way to jail me thinks if id accepted that deal ) had a security gaurd point his machine gun at me in a shopping mall because i looked at him perving on my wife .
crazy crazy place . this was all 20 years ago as well .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i also gave some money to a one legged man on the street , who then proceeded to give me the middle finger , i also got ripped off by a taxi driver 800 pasos for a trip from the domestic air port to the international airport , and the drivers *** standing behind my wife if i refuse to pay
that happens in australia too - in fact all countries. it is called human nature

Quote:
i was paying over $100 per day for food and water there
i am not disputing this, but i am unsure how it could have cost that much. i spent $330 a day on average in my trip in 2005. that includes my airfare. my motel bill, all of my food, my fiance's food, two airfares, and a bus and ferry ride to an exotic island. 2 and a half days on the said island. a private taxi (at mates rates admittidely. a trip to an amusement park where i paid for all six of us and other things too

Quote:
life is different in the phillipines . its hard to compare and sympathise, when some of them are happier than us
some are happier than us, because they are not spoilt people. believe it or not some people do not need a big house and shiny car for happiness. they need their family and faith. most third world country's have residents that are happier than australians because they have their priorities right. well actually it is forced onto them because of poverty. it is not forced unto us, so we only care about what we have and what we can get, when most of us have everything we already need

Quote:
i seen adults taking huge tips off tourists ,whilst not letting tourists give anything to homeless kids ,, in fear of losing thier tips
how many people in australia are happy to give money to the homeless, particularly if they have worked for it and the homeless haven't. the people working and carrying our bags need to eat too - and feed their own family. while i would not suggest there are no selfish people in any particular country, i found the filipino's to be no more selfish than australians. i did however find them to be much happier

Quote:
i'll add more , i gave money to begging kids , quite a bit , who gave it to thier mum around the corner , who went straight into the grog shop and bought booze and ciggies
that happens in australia too - it is called welfare, not tips. there are professional beggars in any country though, and australia certainly isn't exempt from that. the filipinos are just human as well

Quote:
had a police officer try to sell me his badge in the middle of a shopping mall - yeah right ( quick way to jail me thinks if id accepted that deal )
you probably would have been able to keep it - maybe only until you went through customs, but if a police officer is willing to see his badge to feed his family, that could give an idea about living conditions there

Quote:
had a security gaurd point his machine gun at me in a shopping mall because i looked at him perving on my wife
6 years ago there was armed guards outside banks and other areas. to go into some shopping malls, you had to be scanned for weapons etc. men went one side and ladies the other. i assume the reasoning for scanning is not to stop the average young kid with a knife, but because of an almost constant threat of terror from the southern philippines, who it seems would like to take their own area of the philippines to create their own country. once again, that should give you an idea about how they live over there.

Last edited by gtxb67; 01-05-2011 at 09:32 AM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
that happens in australia too - in fact all countries. it is called human nature

i am not disputing this, but i am unsure how it could have cost that much. i spent $330 a day on average in my trip in 2005. that includes my airfare. my motel bill, all of my food, my fiance's food, two airfares, and a bus and ferry ride to an exotic island. 2 and a half days on the said island. a private taxi (at mates rates admittidely. a trip to an amusement park where i paid for all six of us and other things too

some are happier than us, because they are not spoilt people. believe it or not some people do not need a big house and shiny car for happiness. they need their family and faith. most third world country's have residents that are happier than australians because they have their priorities right. well actually it is forced onto them because of poverty. it is not forced unto us, so we only care about what we have and what we can get, when most of us have everything we already need

how many people in australia are happy to give money to the homeless, particularly if they have worked for it and the homeless haven't. the people working and carrying our bags need to eat too - and feed their own family. while i would not suggest there are no selfish people in any particular country, i found the filipino's to be no more selfish than australians. i did however find them to be much happier

that happens in australia too - it is called welfare, not tips. there are professional beggars in any country though, and australia certainly isn't exempt from that. the filipinos are just human as well

you probably would have been able to keep it - maybe only until you went through customs, but if a police officer is willing to see his badge to feed his family, that could give an idea about living conditions there

6 years ago there was armed guards outside banks and other areas. to go into some shopping malls, you had to be scanned for weapons etc. men went one side and ladies the other. i assume the reasoning for scanning is not to stop the average young kid with a knife, but because of an almost constant threat of terror from the southern philippines, who it seems would like to take their own area of the philippines to create their own country. once again, that should give you an idea about how they live over there.

mate . dont want to sound like i dont like them cause i do . they are happy people , its wrong for us aussies to say they are hard done by . by our standards maybe they are , but aussies are hard done by too - in happiness factor and working hours and debts . us aussies believe we have it great , not true . by the way , many many many beautiful loyal good girls over there ,waiting for a good life ,not snobby either , they will look after a man , if a man looks after them .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
mate . dont want to sound like i dont like them cause i do . they are happy people , its wrong for us aussies to say they are hard done by . by our standards maybe they are , but aussies are hard done by too - in happiness factor and working hours and debts . us aussies believe we have it great , not true . by the way , many many many beautiful loyal good girls over there ,waiting for a good life ,not snobby either , they will look after a man , if a man looks after them .

Agree re quality of life and happiness.

Saw John Safran do a show about whether appearance really matters to women by meeting girls in Bangkok who were interested in getting a Western husband (he got made up as the Elephant Man the cheeky little b...).
One woman was absolutely beautiful at 30-ish, spoke great English, and seemed thoroughly decent.
I wondered if I should get a passport ....
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
gtxb67

Quote:
its wrong for us aussies to say they are hard done by . by our standards maybe they are , but aussies are hard done by too - in happiness factor and working hours and debts . us aussies believe we have it great , not true . by the way , many many many beautiful loyal good girls over there ,waiting for a good life ,not snobby either , they will look after a man , if a man looks after them .
they are happy because they like the simple things. as the saying goes - the best things in life are free

aussies are not hard done by compared to the majority of races. we do not have to choose between a roof over our heads and food. some filipino's do. we do not have to live with cousins and aunties etc. some filipino's do

"if" we do not have quality of life, it is due to jealousy and greed. our friends have a big screen tv so we must have one to be happy. people in third world countries only have their families and faith - and yet they can still manage to smile. that doesn't mean we are hard done by - that means we are spoilt, and they are grateful

to put it in perspective just think if 80,000,000 people lived in australia with virtually no manufacturing. take away our ambulance service - they have one but due to traffic you won't make it to hospital in time. take away our welfare, reduce our garbage collection, take away our clean water etc. etc. etc. etc. and then maybe then we can consider ourselves lucky. please give me a break. i realise you are not trying to put them down and my reply may come across more personal and arrogant than i meant, but why do you think so many are looking abroad for work, knowing they are getting ripped off compared to the locals. and by the way, the ones that do work in the philippines work harder than we do - and "that" is quality of life
Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
KITBAG

Quote:
i was paying over $100 per day for food and water there .
a shopping mall.
I here on my 5 work trip, this time for 2 months,
so far I have spent $100 aus dollars on food and water
(5 Days in 2 month stint).

A shopping Malls.............. MEGA MALLS. They are HUGE, i walked around
the one in alabang yesterday and it took me 5 hours.
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 XF - AU11
A shopping Malls.............. MEGA MALLS. They are HUGE, i walked around
the one in alabang yesterday and it took me 5 hours.
some are huge. i was amazed that you could leave your shopping in a cloakroom and pick it up when you were leaving. no more carrying heavy stuff around with you

off topic totally, but where is alabang - metro manila?? - just checked - just down the road from pandacan. we probably went passed on the way to tagaytay

Last edited by gtxb67; 01-05-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
KITBAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
topic totally, but where is alabang - metro manila?? - just checked - just down the road from pandacan. we probably went passed on the way to tagaytay
I am in the Vivere Hotel
5102 Bridgeway Ave., cor. Asean Drive,
Filinvest Corporate City, Alabang,
Muntinlupa City Philippines

I have been to allot of places........
On resent trips I was(training our workers) on installing our products in PLDT telephone exchanges all over the Philippines.
This time I am here just working out of our office designing new product for PLDT.

Last edited by KITBAG; 01-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post