Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #31
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
I don't know why people on here rubbish people, that don't use proper punctualion. Or can't spell certain words, sorry but not everybody went university. It's just rude use some common courtesy, something that you can't just learn from a book
Ive havent pointed it out before. & it was obvious in this case that some people just couldnt understand. I never went to uni. Im very courteous & understanding. I certainly understand some people have trouble with it, & accept that. Plus there is no need to be 100% correct on here.... You will find none of my posts are 100% correct. However when there is definitely room for improvement i cant tolerate it. Is it that hard to use the full stop button? Anyway...... back on topic.

As for the badge issue i think its really just the trade mark of the mustang brand. One of its distinguishing features. Gives it that 'feel' that what your looking at is no ordinary ford. Id say it was part of mustang orginal styling, & its been carried on for the sake of heritage. Just the same as every lamborghini is named after a bull. (except the LM002). Plus there was never any backlash over it. So why change something that has worked since the start....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 22-09-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #32
zdcol71
zdcol71

Thread jack warning, but somewhat related. On the topic of Ford branding, I asked once before, (but never got a definitive answer), what does the "500" designate in Falcon,or Fairlane, 500??
Old 22-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #33
MY70GT
USA AMBASSADOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
Thread jack warning, but somewhat related. On the topic of Ford branding, I asked once before, (but never got a definitive answer), what does the "500" designate in Falcon,or Fairlane, 500??
The "Fairlane" name comes from the name of Henry Fords Estate "Fair Lane", as for the 500 designation, i would guess it stems from the various USA races ending with 500 such Daytona or Indianoplis. Probably to make reference to Fords racing heritage. Thats just my guess......or this was the answer posted on the TorinoCobra.com forum that i am also a member of...."Think back to the 1950s - the Atomic Age. Everything was rockets and space! Numbers were a natural complement to the name of a car, and Ford used 500 as a way to indicate trim level."
2003 Saab 93 SE Convertible

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...osmall2111.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...gt/img003a.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...645x10-1-1.jpg

Last edited by MY70GT; 22-09-2010 at 10:31 AM.
MY70GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #34
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Always puzzled me over the years why the Ford Mustang doesn't wear a Ford badge, but rather a Horse badge instead? Were they originally trying to imitate Ferrari or something? I remember a long time ago seeing an old-school car with just a Horse badge for the first time and wondering 'what car is that.. some old model Ferrari?'
Where is the Ford 'Badge' on the XY GT Falcon?

There are plenty of others...
Old 22-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
Ive havent pointed it out before. & it was obvious in this case that some people just couldnt understand. I never went to uni. Im very courteous & understanding. I certainly understand some people have trouble with it, & accept that. Plus there is no need to be 100% correct on here.... You will find none of my posts are 100% correct. However when there is definitely room for improvement i cant tolerate it. Is it that hard to use the full stop button? Anyway...... back on topic.
Just to lurch off topic again..
Most web browsers have built-in spell checks these days. It's not that hard to spell something like "piston" when "pistin" comes up with a red wobbly line underneath it.
As for not using punctuation, when was the last time you went to the shops and asked the shop keeper "hello i would like some cigarettes please also a packet of tic tacs and some rolling paper i would also like a bic lighter and to pay for the fuel on pump 5 by the way where is your air hose i need to inflate my tyres thank you".
You naturally use breaks and pauses when you speak English, so when you are on a text-based forum, where the accepted form of communication is written English, it is more courteous to at least attempt to do it properly.

/rant, and by no means am I trying to offend anyone, sorry.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #36
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
Just to lurch off topic again..
Most web browsers have built-in spell checks these days. It's not that hard to spell something like "piston" when "pistin" comes up with a red wobbly line underneath it.
As for not using punctuation, when was the last time you went to the shops and asked the shop keeper "hello i would like some cigarettes please also a packet of tic tacs and some rolling paper i would also like a bic lighter and to pay for the fuel on pump 5 by the way where is your air hose i need to inflate my tyres thank you".
You naturally use breaks and pauses when you speak English, so when you are on a text-based forum, where the accepted form of communication is written English, it is more courteous to at least attempt to do it properly.

/rant, and by no means am I trying to offend anyone, sorry.
Absolutely. You hit nail on the head. But i for once didnt want to be that blunt (I usually am) & cop some backlash from it. I also find the "had a gr8 time 2day" sms speak on here bloody annoying. You only use that when your trying to max out the amount of conversation in a 160 character message (I dont though). Its not needed on here. I mean is it that hard to use proper english (even if its basic) that you were taught in primary school? I personally find it very bloody hard to read multiple sentences not seperated properly, as some people did earlier in this thread.

However this thread (thanks partly to myself) is starting to get off topic & we dont want a moderator coming in here with a big stick. So lets keep it on the badging issue....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 22-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #37
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II

As for the badge issue i think its really just the trade mark of the mustang brand. One of its distinguishing features. Gives it that 'feel' that what your looking at is no ordinary ford. Id say it was part of mustang orginal styling, & its been carried on for the sake of heritage. Just the same as every lamborghini is named after a bull. (except the LM002). Plus there was never any backlash over it. So why change something that has worked since the start....

I'm also quite tired of being baged for poor spelling, I dont think its got any thing to d owit hgoing to uni, I did and my spelling is probably the poorest on here some people just think that as they cant contribute technicaly to the forum they will just bag spelling as there "little bit to the forum comunity"

as for the mustang not sporting the blue oval, I suspect its fords way of trying to make a variant on the falcon seem special

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #38
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
As for the Mustang I haven't really notice that they don't carry a blue oval. But alot of early falcon don't either, I think the XC might of been the first model.

All early mustangs and most early falcons usually had F O R D on the bonnet.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #39
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I vaguely remember an interview with Mulally where he said it doesn't have a Ford badge because Mustang is such a strong brand on it's own.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #40
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And some info on the logo

http://www.cartype.com/pages/1230/ford
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #41
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
All early mustangs and most early falcons usually had F O R D on the bonnet.
Seen plenty of restored Mustangs and many don't have the F O R D on the bonnet. Maybe because of the unfortunate anagram for Found On Rubbish Dump
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I'm also quite tired of being baged for poor spelling, I dont think its got any thing to d owit hgoing to uni, I did and my spelling is probably the poorest on here some people just think that as they cant contribute technicaly to the forum they will just bag spelling as there "little bit to the forum comunity"
I find it lazy (especially when your on a computer that can spell check it for you), why should I spend the time to read your posts if you don't even bother to write them properly.

Sure it's not life and death serious on here - and thus I rarely complain unless it's borderline illegible. But why have a lower standard at all, it's why kids these days can't spell or do basic arithmetic - laziness.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

this may be a little off topic, but i've noticed a tendancy of late for journo's to refer to muscle cars as pony cars. for me, pony car referred to one car, the mustang, but now they seem to be using the term a lot more loosely. doesn't sit well with me and probably more a case of journo's with no clue. i think it was wheels that i noticed it a couple of times now.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #44
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pony cars refer to US muscle cars of the late 60's and possibly early 70's such as Camaro's etc.
It's not a title just reserved for Mustangs.
I have read numerous car mags about that era referring to such cars as pony cars.
Old 23-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #45
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair Lane was actually the name of the street where Henry's mother lived in Ireland.

As has been pointed out, back when the 'Stang was released, Ford's typically had F O R D lettering on the bonnet, leaving the grille free for whatever, in the 'Stangs case was the 'Corral' with the wild horse in it.

The Corral/Mustang/running horse variations lasted until the end of the Mustang II. The 3rd gen 'Stang had an circle sitting in the bonnet and F O R D lettering on the grille initially, eventually the Ford oval was slapped on the front until the end of the 3rd gen. 4th Gen started in 1994 and finally the running horse was back. The story apparently was a school wrote to FoMoCo and said the new model Mustang should have the horse as it was iconic, Ford listened!

The term Muscle cars originally referred to sporty type cars built in the USA's 'intermediate' class, the Pontiac GTO, Torino, Dodge Charger etc. But it seemed to became a little more liberal and pony cars tend to be included, particularily big block 'Stangs, Camaros etc. I've even seen the big block AC Cobra referred to as a Muscle Car!!

Pony cars refers to sporty type cars built in the USA's 'compact' class of cars, originally named due to the Mustang of course but included the Plymouth Barracuda and later the Camaro/Firebird etc.

Here's a question for you, the horse is actually running from right to left and by nature, we usually see things left to right. Why was it in the corral backwards?

Last edited by Kieron; 23-09-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 08:13 AM   #46
zdcol71
zdcol71

The yanks do everything back to front??
Old 23-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Fair Lane was actually the name of the street where Henry's mother lived in Ireland.

As has been pointed out, back when the 'Stang was released, Ford's typically had F O R D lettering on the bonnet, leaving the grille free for whatever, in the 'Stangs case was the 'Corral' with the wild horse in it.

The Corral/Mustang/running horse variations lasted until the end of the Mustang II. The 3rd gen 'Stang had an circle sitting in the bonnet and F O R D lettering on the grille initially, eventually the Ford oval was slapped on the front until the end of the 3rd gen. 4th Gen started in 1994 and finally the running horse was back. The story apparently was a school wrote to FoMoCo and said the new model Mustang should have the horse as it was iconic, Ford listened!

The term Muscle cars originally referred to sporty type cars built in the USA's 'intermediate' class, the Pontiac GTO, Torino, Dodge Charger etc. But it seemed to became a little more liberal and pony cars tend to be included, particularily big block 'Stangs, Camaros etc. I've even seen the big block AC Cobra referred to as a Muscle Car!!

Pony cars refers to sporty type cars built in the USA's 'compact' class of cars, originally named due to the Mustang of course but included the Plymouth Barracuda and later the Camaro/Firebird etc.

Here's a question for you, the horse is actually running from right to left and by nature, we usually see things left to right. Why was it in the corral backwards?
So it looks correct in your rear view mirror........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #48
MY70GT
USA AMBASSADOR

Quote:
The yanks do everything back to front??
Not quite everything.......

Old 24-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #49
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason was Ford wanted the Mustang to seem rebellious and wild, going against the norm.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #50
zdcol71
zdcol71

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY70GT
Not quite everything.......
Nothing malice intended MYGT70, (and I'm sure ,none taken)
Old 24-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #51
MY70GT
USA AMBASSADOR

Quote:
Nothing malice intended MYGT70, (and I'm sure ,none taken)
No worries! Americans are good for a laugh......

Old 24-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #52
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
I find it lazy (especially when your on a computer that can spell check it for you), why should I spend the time to read your posts if you don't even bother to write them properly.

Sure it's not life and death serious on here - and thus I rarely complain unless it's borderline illegible. But why have a lower standard at all, it's why kids these days can't spell or do basic arithmetic - laziness.
yea thats the only reason

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #53
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

[QUOTE=data_mine]I find it lazy (especially when your on a computer that can spell check it for you), ... ./QUOTE]

Your, or you're, Data Mine?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 24-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #54
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Take out "on a" and "that".

(it wasn't a spelling mistake anyway)

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #55
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm assuming the reason why the Mustang has a horse and not a Ford badge on the front is because it's a retro thing because in the '60s, I know that certain Ford models had their own symbol. e.g Thunderbird has a front-on view of a bird with its wings open, Falcon had a side-on view of a bird and Mustang has a horse. So the horse on the front of the Mustang is its own special symbol from the old days.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #56
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

The lack of Ford badging and Blue Oval is commonplace on many models the world over- my Aussie Landau for example has no Ford badging on it- they were keen to keep this superior model on its own, not to be mistaken for the more common garden variety GT coupes of the time.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post