Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #31
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Alcoa closes Point Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Someone please show me where Alcoa management have said that the CARBON TAX has had anything whatsoever to do with the plant closure?

Go ahead....make my day?
Correct
they gave 3 reasons and none were the carbon tax
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #32
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

The Alcoa Anglesea power station will no doubt also go?
Isn't this used to back up the grid during high use peaks?
Be interesting how electricity supply copes during future summer heat waves?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #33
Bowser22

Default Re: Alcoa closes Point HENRY

Anglesea power station was used to power one potline at Point Henry. It too will go the same way as the smelter, local residents will heavily object to it's licence renewal.

Alcoa paid $137,000,000 collectively for all its sites across Australia. Point Henry has an approx. 95% exemption from carbon tax.
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #34
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
The Alcoa Anglesea power station will no doubt also go?
Isn't this used to back up the grid during high use peaks?
Be interesting how electricity supply copes during future summer heat waves?
It is going to be put up for sale.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #35
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
The thing is at alcoa everyones pretty much "rich", they'll all get their massive payouts, and many will not ever have to work again.
The younger family guys probably live to their high wages though so may have to downsize their houses. I know of a few who are just waiting to retire...and are quite young too! (40's)

But yeah, lots of electricity used by Alcoa, Ford, Holden, Toyota will give lots of capacity but the electricity companies will want EXACTLY the same total amount of revenue to cover their costs, so our bills will what DOUBLE!? Great...
What will happen is the supply costs to us will go up, so even if we use less we still get charged more. Same happened with water during the drought, we used less, but they still wanted the same money, so the supply charges went up to cover it.
Well the gov won't have to pay them the rocken roll for a few years and by then all the so called new jobs will be created.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true, the blokes getting their big payouts (200g +) can live off that for quite a few years, without getting the dole, so theres no reason for any change in housing markets around geelong for at least 3 years? Then they should have got a job or have retired anyway.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #37
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
true, the blokes getting their big payouts (200g +) can live off that for quite a few years, without getting the dole, so theres no reason for any change in housing markets around geelong for at least 3 years? Then they should have got a job or have retired anyway.
Plenty will donate their payouts to the Leopold Sporting Club and the Peninsula Hotel.

Plenty will try the FIFO path, their skills won't be required in Geelong and unlike the Ford employees, they have a pretty short period of time to make adjustments.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just the beggining , decades of idealistic government policy has stuffed us
and we are almost an industrial backwater,
10 million tax payers for the whole country quickly heading to 9 million.

We sold out our manufacturing and industry years ago and now it's coming back to bite us on the backside.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #39
Bowser22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Plenty will donate their payouts to the Leopold Sporting Club and the Peninsula Hotel.

Plenty will try the FIFO path, their skills won't be required in Geelong and unlike the Ford employees, they have a pretty short period of time to make adjustments.
This is what will bite the majority of workers. Sparkies, fitters, mechanics, etc. have a trade behind them and will need minimalistic retraining. The guys who tapped metal, set carbon and drove forklifts are in deep sheet.
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #40
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
"Rich" eh??
A scenario.. A 45 yr old, worked at Alcoa (OR Ford OR any of the other major players closing) for 25 yrs....
Assumming wage of say.. 90k per annum, married, 2 kids at secondary school, 40% through a 350k mortgage.. How much does he get in his redundancy package?
My guess would be, maybe 200-230k?
Ok, a fair whack in one bite.. But that 200 odd won't even be remembered 5 or 6 yrs down the track because it'll be bloody GONE..
Meanwhile, the ONLY job "Joe Blow" has ever had was making ally at Alcoa or cars at Ford.. and is virtually unemployable after he's gone through his "rich" payout and turned 52-53!!
Do tell how "rich" he is for the next 30 years of his life??
I've said it before and I'll say it again. $200k is enough to fund an entire 4 year University Degree for gods sake!
Thousands of people every day leave jobs in this country with 4 weeks pay in their pocket and that's it.
No one is unemployable. Everyone has a chance. And quite frankly someone has a much better chance of retraining and redeploying with $200,000 in their pocket that someone with $2,000.

Anyone who was half smart and half employable will be re-employed within 6 months and have $150k in their back pocket to offset and initial salary decrease or relocation expenses.

So can we quite the drama and scaremongering and get on with life please?
Old 19-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #41
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

what about those that are older?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #42
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
what about those that are older?
What is to stop anyone of any age reskilling, re-educating or redeploying?

When you have $200k in your pocket you have plenty of time to sort out a solution. Lots of time.
Old 19-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #43
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

oh good, so nobody has a problem

reality is, many older people in the workforce find it difficult to get re-employment no matter how skilled they are.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #44
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

reality is, many older people in the workforce find it difficult to get re-employment no matter how skilled they are.
I understand where you are coming from, my father, who long ago was a supervisor, then fell out of it and has been doing different jobs in between had a stroke a few months back. His 65 (I think) and has no real skills other than lots of different experiences.

Anyway, he did a course in traffic management, $1000 later walks out with a ticket and now earns that a week spinning a traffic sign. But it took nearly 3-4 months of applying to get there. I honestly wasnt sure if he would land something because of his age but these people need to think about what they can do not what they want to do (age dependent).

There are so many people that loose their jobs with no notice and no payouts.

Its still a horrible thing to go through, and I fear in the short term Geelong is going to turn into a ghetto.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #45
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:

No. Lots of people have problems and lots more are going to have problems.

Luckily however due to generous redundancy packages and ample notice (3 years in some cases) the solutions available to them are much greater than the normal redundancy / termination scenarios most people find themselves in.