Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #31
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why don't Dealers want to sell cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post

My other pet peeve is the people who want to negotiate over the phone. "What's you best price". Really. They're not going to buy it over the phone then and there. I know it's possible. But in 20 years it hasn't happened yet. Come and have a look, decide you want it. Then we can talk.
I must admit, when i'm buying a car and I have a set budget, this is the method I use sorry. If the seller is not negotiable or willing to budge on his/her price to meet my budget, then there is no point in wasting their or my precious time, and I will keep looking. To some sellers this tactic could be seen as intimidating or viewed with some sort of skepticism, but I just see it as common courtesy, and lay my cards on the table first.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30 View Post
If the business promotes themselves as an "Internet Dealer" (as the OP stated), then they need to put the necessary resources into it. No point giving out an email address if no one (or no one competent) bothers to read and action them.
That is true but people must be aware as at times employees can be busy/occupied unable to answer phone/emails straight away, after all this is everyday reality for any business.

I'm sure most reputable businesses will reply to emails in a timely manner.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #33
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 5150 View Post
I must admit, when i'm buying a car and I have a set budget, this is the method I use sorry. If the seller is not negotiable or willing to budge on his/her price to meet my budget, then there is no point in wasting their or my precious time, and I will keep looking.
I'm happy to confirm that I'm negotiable or talk price a bit, but low-balling on the phone, usually leads to further low-balling in the few instances they actually arrive.

I advertise prices so you have an idea of what you're talking about and used vehicles vary so much in presentation, kms, service history etc. there is often a huge discrepancy between cheapest and best value. Unlike new where they are all effectively the same separated on price.

I'm careful how I advertise and describe vehicles so there are no surprises, as my clients often fly from interstate, and I and my customers don't need the hassle of someone who's angry, having having traveled a long way having been lied to expecting an orange and getting an apple. I once told a guy its looks beeter in the pics than real life, before he drove 4 hours to look at a vehicle, he did anyway and he bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 5150 View Post
To some sellers this tactic could be seen as intimidating or viewed with some sort of skepticism, but I just see it as common courtesy, and lay my cards on the table first.
I have even said to some particularly rude customers, and in my world there is plenty of them, OK we can talk bottom dollar now or when you get here but not both.
Old 13-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #34
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

If you want to get a car dealers attention, add in the email/phone call that you intend to buy a car this week / today. That will separate you from the other dozen "info chasers".

You WILL hear back promptly.
Old 13-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #35
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm happy to confirm that I'm negotiable or talk price a bit, but low-balling on the phone, usually leads to further low-balling in the few instances they actually arrive.

I advertise prices so you have an idea of what you're talking about and used vehicles vary so much in presentation, kms, service history etc. there is often a huge discrepancy between cheapest and best value. Unlike new where they are all effectively the same separated on price.

I'm careful how I advertise and describe vehicles so there are no surprises, as my clients often fly from interstate, and I and my customers don't need the hassle of someone who's angry, having having traveled a long way having been lied to expecting an orange and getting an apple. I once told a guy its looks beeter in the pics than real life, before he drove 4 hours to look at a vehicle, he did anyway and he bought it.

I have even said to some particularly rude customers, and in my world there is plenty of them, OK we can talk bottom dollar now or when you get here but not both.
I never said anything about low balling or bottom dollar pricing over the phone, I said within my 'set budget''. My point was, if the buyer and seller aren't in the same ball park with regards to a price from the outset over the phone, then there is no point in meeting or viewing a particular vehicle is there?
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #36
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30 View Post
If the business promotes themselves as an "Internet Dealer" (as the OP stated), then they need to put the necessary resources into it. No point giving out an email address if no one (or no one competent) bothers to read and action them.
Thought it sounded like a normal dealer selling cars through Carsales or the like? But does not matter. An email sent mid afternoon and answered that afternoon isn't really that bad? But its all very trivial anyway ........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #37
Nova 8

Quote:

My other pet peeve is the people who want to negotiate over the phone. "What's you best price". Really. They're not going to buy it over the phone then and there. I know it's possible. But in 20 years it hasn't happened yet. Come and have a look, decide you want it. Then we can talk. People do buy over the phone/net, but ther is usually a series of call and emails to get to that point of "what's your bottom line". And when they do it's real.
I know its not the norm but my brother bought a car over the phone sight unseen. Transferred over his deposit of $1000 and got a bank check made for the remaining amount and we flew out the next morning. Adelaide to Brisbane, got a bus to Toowoomba and picked up the car that afternoon, drove all night and was home the next morning. Was a long day...
Old 15-07-2014, 04:07 AM   #38
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
Completely appropriate IMO, email is the snail mail of the modern age. In expected speeds of response I rate it right down with an actual letter. If you want a business owner to give you immediate attention/responses go down in person or at least call.
Really?
So of the HUNDREDS of cars I have looked at before buying this one, I should have visited all those dealers and individuals?

I think this was a classic case of the business owners trying to drag their business into the 21st century, and some of their sales staff are still stuck in the 70's.

After even more obtuseness from the salesman, and complete disinterest from the manager, I contacted the dealer principal. He not only put a rocket up the salesman, but knocked another $500 off the price.
Old 15-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #39
strik9
aka fpv747

comes down to the same old same old,

there is good customer service and crap customer service.
i have bought several cars over the years interstate sight unseen( mind you they were very low km) never had an issue. had i got bad service forget it.

here,s one for you, i enquired several times on carsales and wasn't contacted till 2 weeks after. with a generic email of how can we help.( i knew where it was from carsales email and left my details and in the past the dealers are very quick to ring you)
i had already bought another car somewhere else.

i emailed back to the manager of gold coast hsv.( total ******) let him know i had bought another car 10 minutes from him . and considered a generic email to a potential 98 k purchase rather average specially two weeks after the enquiry . considering in the generic email saying they were number one in customer service.

his reply was .
you can't please everyone.( that was it total reply)

i nearly forwarded our conversation to his dealer principal.

Last edited by strik9; 15-07-2014 at 07:18 AM.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #40
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say he was right.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #41
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Goes back to a Ford dealership for warranty, you ever seen a pre delivery inspection at a dealership? They're hopeless, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would do a better inspection.
This is somewhat silly, as the manufacturer does not manage the intake of vehicles at the docks. It is done by a company no different to the franchisee of a manufacturer, employing staff no differently. It's unfair to generalise, as some dealers have fantastic pre delivery departments.

You make it sound simple to just order a car off the internet and while in some instances it could be useful (Subaru BR-Z springs to mind, FPV GT-F would be no different) because the consumer in fact knows what they're getting.. but there's way too many other factors to consider with that concept. Not only as it would never just be phased in, but if you wanted to order a car directly off the web you'd be buying it at RRP.
Old 15-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #42
Poetic Justice

Quote:
If you want to get a car dealers attention, add in the email/phone call that you intend to buy a car this week / today. That will separate you from the other dozen "info chasers".

You WILL hear back promptly.
After working in car sales for 8 years anyone who makes these statements are more likely time wasters. Perhaps might be different but other sales people but it's no different to the "Can I have a discount for paying cash?" statement... they're trying to make you think they're serious when it's becoming obvious they're not.
Old 15-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
This is somewhat silly, as the manufacturer does not manage the intake of vehicles at the docks. It is done by a company no different to the franchisee of a manufacturer, employing staff no differently. It's unfair to generalise, as some dealers have fantastic pre delivery departments.

You make it sound simple to just order a car off the internet and while in some instances it could be useful (Subaru BR-Z springs to mind, FPV GT-F would be no different) because the consumer in fact knows what they're getting.. but there's way too many other factors to consider with that concept. Not only as it would never just be phased in, but if you wanted to order a car directly off the web you'd be buying it at RRP.
I know, its done by some third party, procar etc or something along those lines.

Is it silly or is it just that it would put you (someone who has worked in car sales) out of a job because I'd doing your job myself, hence the car should be cheaper as there is no middle man, buy direct off manufacturer.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #44
Poetic Justice

Well where would I work in that instance, anyway?

Would be naive to think that I'd be out of a job and the manufacturer has an army of skilled sales people laying in wait somewhere to replace me. If my boss was no longer my boss, the manufactuer would be.

There would still be a need for skilled sales staff to actually sell the product and sell it against the competition. Dealerships would still be exist, no different to apple stores or any other brand that sells its products direct to the consumer. Would it result in a better price for the consumer? I'd lean toward thinking no, really.
Old 15-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm not saying replace dealerships im saying offer it as an OPTION. I'm sure the retail industry here had the same attitude, until people started cutting them out.

I generally know what i want when i go to buy, its no different to anything really.

The only time i go back to a dealership is for genuine parts or warranty work, and to be honest if warranty work could have been done by a third party the car wouldn't have gone back even for that.
Old 15-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #46
Poetic Justice

You're a minority, take it from me... the amount of people who have no clue about cars far exceeds those that do. And even those who do, most of the time like to take the time to compare different options.
Old 15-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #47
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to think that emailing a dealer was a waste of time and you were better off ringing them or going down there yourself until I bought my last car, a 2012 Falcon XR6 EcoLpi.

Because I didn't want to wait very long to take delivery of my new car, I searched on carsales for new cars refined for the options I wanted (colour etc). I eventually found the perfect car and looking at the pictures and LMCT number I found out the dealer was 30 mins down the road. Perfect I thought, and drove down there straight away. Walking into the dealer I was greeted by a salesman who asked what I was after. I told him that according to carsales, there was a red lpi apparently here in stock. Without even physically looking, or searching on the computer, he said there weren't any there or at any of the other sister dealers, so I left.

Coming back home I did an enquiry on the car via carsales, was called by another salesperson (who confirmed the car was actually there) within 5 minutes and bought the car first thing in the morning the next day...

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #48
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has it a multi franchise dealer?

Often local dealers want to push other products-or the stock has been assigned to customers.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #49
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the weirdest things I have found over the years is that dealers don't actually want REPEAT business. They're just not interested.
Obviously as a buyer, I am happiest when I (not the dealer) get the best deal, so I can understand that I would not be a "favourite" customer. But still you'd think they would rather have the business than not? Apparently not.
Again, I think it is the staff, rather than the owners.
The ONE exception I have encountered, and they are often exceptional, is Lane Ford in Mandurah.

What I also find weird is that "Managers" whom you'd think would have an attitude closer to that of the Principal, are usually WORSE than the salesmen. It seems in most yards the biggest a-hole is the one chosen to be manager. (And again Lane Ford, are the exception to that rule.)
Old 16-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #50
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

It's natural to hunt out the best deal, but the dealer needs to make money out of the sale as well otherwise why would they bother existing,.
Used car salesmen are known to stretch the truth a little but fact is many buyers stretch the truth just as much trying to screw a deal, a sale is a sale at the end of the day but some sales are just not worth the hassle involved for the return.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
What I also find weird is that "Managers" whom you'd think would have an attitude closer to that of the Principal, are usually WORSE than the salesmen. It seems in most yards the biggest a-hole is the one chosen to be manager. (And again Lane Ford, are the exception to that rule.)
Heard of the term, "couldn't hold a screwdriver, so they got promoted to management"?

Rings true in a lot of places.
Old 16-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #52
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I learned lots from 20 years in different dealers. If operated by salesmen they are sales focused If operated by tradesmen they are tax dodge operations.

Real salesmen sum you up as you enter the door. Has all the answers.
Trainees pretend they can-Turn over is high.

Most of the yards I work for the better sales staff was just one step off jail or mental lock ups. Theft and bipolar. Most companies wont report theft as it reflects on the company--until it goes under.

Dealer principle.
My experience was with older or retired old families or gamblers. In the last 10 years these old salesmen have leased out the land to finance companies and cant believe how much their staff had robbed them blind.

The dealer I served my training at was in decline and fell apart with most workers no being payed. The number of staff you meet around the taps that has been more sucsessfull than they had been allowed to was my education.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #53
Poetic Justice

Quote:
It's pretty easy to have a good experience with a dealer principal because he can act nice and give you whatever you want simply because he can. The dealer principal also seems like a top notch bloke because you get the impression that whatever he says is worth plenty simply because he is the top dog but let me assure you of two things:

1) Dealer principals of decent sized metro dealers wouldn't generally know the exact pricing of cars they have for sale. They aren't responsible for selling cars, they're responsible for running a business. Who do you think they turn to to work out a price for them? Oh, the sales manager... funny that

2) Dealer principal will 100% of the time come across as a nice and lovable bloke to you, but he has a business to run and behind closed doors you might never know what he demands of his staff. Sales results are high and who do you think cops it when the results are not coming in? Oh yeah, the sales manager! It would be ignorant to think that the sales manager acts the way he does because that's who he is and not because of the pressure he has put on him daily by upper management to perform. Car sales is not an easy business to work in let me tell you
Old 16-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #54
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

after 16 years in the dealership, I would agree with that post

Old 16-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #55
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
One of the weirdest things I have found over the years is that dealers don't actually want REPEAT business. They're just not interested.
Obviously as a buyer, I am happiest when I (not the dealer) get the best deal, so I can understand that I would not be a "favourite" customer. But still you'd think they would rather have the business than not? Apparently not.
Repeat business is the biggest mover of cars.. a credible dealers bread n butter, they know the deal they do today stitches up tomorrows deal.

A mate of mine is a dealer principal. He says to drum up business he simply calls up people he sold a car two years ago, invites them in to collect their free gift, being a navman or jacket/merchandise etc... Shows them the gadgets of the new model and takes them for a spin and bingo.. half of them trade up on the spot the other half come back with in 2 months to do the deal..

He said they will trade their perfectly good car with 70,000-100,000km in on a new model as it has more gizmos etc and they see it as a must to keep relevant in todays society. basically useless features.

Then he has a good second hand car too to sell. Absolutely creams it..

Some people come back owing more than the car is worth but he gets them refinanced and adds it onto the back of the new loan etc..
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #56
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
....... Next whinge will be "Walked into a showroom and no one wanted to serve me as they were all just reading their computers ......" Just cannot win with some people.

Show an interest in turning up and I am sure you would be looked after.
funny that as this has happened to me while buying 2 cars about 5 or so years apart
1st was when i wanted a new BA MK2 XR6 magnet ute paying cash, went to 4 ford dealerships in perth and every time i stood in the show room trying to get salesman to help me and nothing , they all looked up from computers and saw me then went back to computers, i did have one young bloke come and help me after 20mins in there at titan ford, but just about every dealership saleman gave me a brochure after me standing there for 30mins when they finally asked if i needed help, then walked away ...WTF stood around for anther 15mins then said very loudly as i walked out you just lost a sale ..see ya
went and got a broker instead, i knew what i wanted had money but they didnt want it

2nd time was when i was looking at the last of the FG XR8 utes or the new GS supercharged ute,
went to a few dealerships again and waited and waited (he we go again) all salesmen on computers, they look at me and then they look away.
i gave up and sent a few email out from ads from dealerships selling what i was after
Lane ford were great and torque ford in QLD were also great with replying to my emails and were on the phone to me asap
ended up buying my ute from torque ford in QLD and got it shipped to WA , one of the last FG XR8 at a bloody good price i couldnt go past,(still worked out about $5k cheaper than what WA wanted for one,but still wish i got the GS sometimes)

so sending emails was a better option for me as i got what i wanted in the end and they were will to help

luck of the draw i suppose going in or sending emails
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #57
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Haven't seen it mentioned yet. But they can't just "waive the statutory warranty". Statutory means it's required by law.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #58
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did mention this earlier on, but was told they can, I tend to agree with you though

Old 16-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #59
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

I may be wrong, but I think the warrantee can be waived if the vehicle is not going to be registered for road use, eg. a mine hack ute.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #60
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
Haven't seen it mentioned yet. But they can't just "waive the statutory warranty". Statutory means it's required by law.
No, Statutory means it is stipulated by law,the same law which (in SA) allows the purchaser to waive the right to a warranty. I don't know about other states, but it can't be waived in WA.
In the end, it just seemed too hard for them. They dropped another $1k off an already low price, and I still get the warranty.