Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #31
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Alcohol abuse thread

Nah, truth serum as a handfull of schooners and a deep and meaningful conversation
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #32
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post

What turned me was I took my 12yo son to a day on the green to see hunters n colletors
Bit off topic sorry to OP...(actually i am ****ed and a fan of Hunters n Collectors) are those guys still performing mate? am over the ditch in NZ and have i think every album they ever made,great band indeed.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #33
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i enjoy drinking, and not so long ago i would wipe myself out on the weekends. i,ve reconised that i have a problem. i,d say its bad because of many reasons like its bad for your health, can make you fat, is costly are the reasons that i can think of right now. and i don,t want to get trapped into a downward spiraling drinking situation. so atm its under control, however it does sit on my mind sometimes. its a great form of escapism, and understand that life isn,t about getting wasted and abusing yourself/and or others. i had one beer tonight, and havn,t that one for weeks before. i,m ok with that.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #34
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to drink heaps, was a work culture and lifestyle years ago, now don't really drink any more, apart from the odd social occasion, probably lucky if I had a case in the last 12 months.

Costs too much money, as well, I rather buy car parts or take the family out somewhere than **** it up against the wall every night.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
So all those slabs your customers got you for Xmas....they may as well given you 6 boxes of dirt?

I go red and start sweating when I'm not touching it. I should just glue a stubbie-holder to my palm.

You should hear my recycle bin get emptied. It sounds like two cargo planes transporting drum-kits collided 10 metres above my house.

10 days without a smoke (cheating,e-cigarette) beer next, then pizza. I eat slices of pizza like most people eat popcorn.
Yeah I didn't drink them I re gifted some and the business partner took the others.

I had one of the Coronas from one of the Christmas slabs today.

Pays dividends in the automotive game, you share them around to the guys who actually drink them and the work keeps coming in, at worst costs you $60 at best its free.

A slab of VB won me a customer who had been using my competitor for 20 years, $30-odd returned me a few thousand bucks.

So out of 6x slabs I've had one Corona today

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-02-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #36
Makovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
Put the scum in jail and throw away the key!!

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
Along with those who've got anger management issues.
Makovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #37
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Bit off topic sorry to OP...(actually i am ****ed and a fan of Hunters n Collectors) are those guys still performing mate? am over the ditch in NZ and have i think every album they ever made,great band indeed.
From time to time yeah, they did a day on the green last year with you am I and British India
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #38
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad was an alcoholic and unfortunately for me I was the punching bag when he had too many. Many times he beat me next to the point of death. Then he was always sorry the next day but would blame me in the end. So I have a dim view of alcoholics, in most cases they make me sick and I have zero sympathy for them.

I have a couple of drinks every so often and once in a blue moon I'll get drunk (my partner of 4.5 years saw me drunk for the first time yesterday) but I don't like kids being around when adults are hammered.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #39
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's no suprise, we live in a culture that enables, encourages and perpetuates harmful binge drinking. For many people especially the older generation born before 1965 they buy into it big time and you can be really outcast or treated with suspicion if you don't drink.

It's also particularly problematic for men because alcohol consumption is closely tied to concepts of masculinity and manhood ("a hard earned thirst deserves a big cold beer" and all that other BS). Men in general are also really reluctant to seek help for issues they have. Its sadly really self explanatory.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #40
snopony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
It's no suprise, we live in a culture that enables, encourages and perpetuates harmful binge drinking. For many people especially the older generation born before 1965 they buy into it big time and you can be really outcast or treated with suspicion if you don't drink.

It's also particularly problematic for men because alcohol consumption is closely tied to concepts of masculinity and manhood ("a hard earned thirst deserves a big cold beer" and all that other BS). Men in general are also really reluctant to seek help for issues they have. Its sadly really self explanatory.
yes... I cop this all the time - I physically CANT drink.. I'm allergic to it. The amount of times I hear "well, you're no fun" "oh that must suck" "here, just try a little bit, you'll get used to it" "fun police" "oh good you can drive" "what a shame you poor thing".....

Its such an institution in Australia. Why?
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #41
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

http://drinkcontrolapp.com/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #42
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopony View Post
yes... I cop this all the time - I physically CANT drink.. I'm allergic to it. The amount of times I hear "well, you're no fun" "oh that must suck" "here, just try a little bit, you'll get used to it" "fun police" "oh good you can drive" "what a shame you poor thing".....

Im similar, although not allergic, I don't like how excess alcohol makes me feel. I have friends who put away a bottle of red every night just to get to sleep. I don't see the point in getting paralytic at every opportunity, I attend social gatherings very rarely as watching everyone get smashed isn't my idea of fun, unfortunately that makes me the strange one.
I was in bali recently, and to be frank was embarrassed at how aussies think its their right to go overseas and get smashed, and they don't wait until they get there, they start on the plane, whats the point????

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #43
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

First up, is great to have a place to talk about this stuff without extreme views either side ranting and raving. The honesty in this thread is inspiring.

My experience with alcohol is a little different to what I've read. My folks were full on tea tottlers, alcohol was evil etc. I had my first taste of beer at about the age of 8 and it was a XXXX, tasted like urine (ironic?). Didn't touch the stuff again till I was in my early 20s after moving out of home. To this day I've never been drunk or even been a bit tipsy (I don't agree with my folks stance on alcohol, but on the other hand they did teach me to stay in control of myself and my choices which serves me well in most areas), but have been out with mates (usually car related events actually) where people love to get on the booze as soon as possible. Most look at me like I'm from Mars when I say I'll only have one or max 2 and they drink through several slabs till they can't string a sentence together let alone walk.

I've seen far too often the results of these kind of 'events', most of the time those sloshed become seriously boring at best, do stuff they say they would never do, get into drunken swinging matches (can't really call it a fight), hurt themselves by being unable to control basic body functions (like holding a beer), or far worse like beating their other halves or cheating on their partners with some slob.

Once sober, I've had to countless times help guys and chicks deal with their dumb choices, from everything from patching up friendships, to trying to help friends save a marriage, or get away from abusive partners etc. Not to mention the horror stories teenagers tell you of what happens behind closed doors!! Yet next time there is a meet up or event the process starts all over again.

I've lost friends because of their feelings of shame that they place on themselves. I've had friends lives ruined by their choices under the effects of alcohol. Kids and/partners hospitalised, marriages destroyed etc etc.

But I can not blame a drink, why? Simply because I've seen the same happen to people when there are no substances involved. It happens when we decide to do it. For some they need lubrication, others don't.

I can't buy the notion that alcohol made me do it, or it controls me, as when I've had to sit with someone after they've done stuff they've regretted, most often it comes out that there is a much deeper issue at play and what they did under the effects of alcohol just removed a barrier for them to act out of that issue.

Don't want to offend anyone, that's just my experiences.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 07-02-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #44
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I knock back way too much.
Bad habits I know I have but don't do much about it.
Maybe its because of such regular intake, I can drink a heap yet still function, hold a sensible conversation, etc. My wife still thinks it some form of miracle haha.
But geez its annoying watching others turn to slop.
Had a 40th last weekend and was keen to catch up with a few dudes that were going to be there. Was impossible to have a chat, was pretty irritating actually. Then someone gets agro. OK thats enough, seeya's.

I go through stages thinking I need to give myself more days off the beers. And do just that.
I should go through these stages more often.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #45
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Lifestyle change's, if you can make the effort than that's a BIG start ...simple as that.

Break the old habits and start some new ones

It all fits into place eventually .. trust me

I am an alcoholic !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #46
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
Put the scum in jail and throw away the key!!

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
Are you drunk ?
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopony View Post

Same here - I can only do light beer if I really pace myself... I can pretty much drink just enough to get me over the driving limit then anything more makes my stomach start to reject it and I will throw it up.

It used to peeve me off actually, being just slightly tipsy and appearing normal yet knowing that in 5-10 minutes I will chunder and there is nothing I can do to stop it other than sit still and hope it passes.

Don't do spirits, or harder stuff, can tolerate wine if it's in moderation.

Will do the odd cocktail but again need to really pace myself and not do too many in a row or it will just be alcohol abuse (wasting the alcohol)..

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #48
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gave up drinking 6 years ago. Why the faark didn't somebody tell me 40 years ago life is better without alcohol?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a few beers a couple of times a week.
Never get hammered where I can't remember stuff, haven't had a hangover since I was 18.
When out with a friends we will have a few but it has never caused problems. No one in my group gets violent, aggressive, emotional or anything negative. At worst we get a bit too talkative and loud.

My dad was an alcoholic for a while and it was causing both him and the family problems, so I guess that makes me more aware of not letting it get out of hand.

I have gone months without alcohol and I found the less I drink, the less I want it, but I don't feel like alcohol has affected me negative in any way so I don't mind a couple.

I work with people who cannot go a day without a few drinks. In my job we work all differnt times, so some people drink when they get home no matter what time it is. They get home in the morning after night work and will have a few beers with breakfast. Or they get home at 4am, while most people will be getting to bed quickly so they don't see the sun rise, because once you see that sun, your body wants to wake up so it's much harder to get a good sleep , others will stay up drinking until after sunrise because they can't sleep without it. You know it's bad when you are at that point.

Last edited by Ben73; 08-02-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #50
Kicking back

Something interesting and also somewhat of a cultural difference, before 2010 I had a few Irish colleges and they used the term druth, or druthing. Which after a while I asked what it meant. The answer was, if you smell a beer you really want one. It was interesting. In the same vane. Unless it's a work meeting at a pub, I can't not get a beer, because it's what you do... doesn't mean I have to get plastered as usually I'm the one who has to drive home, and to date I have never even copped a speeding fine let alone anything worse. Which brings me to another story, (irish) bobby came to work one day canned. His claim, which was backed up by (Irish) dave, was 8 beers. To you or I, normally that means stubbies, or schooners, but no, he was backing up off 8 pints. For a guy who is 5ft 3 and skinny, 4l of guineus is a solid effort if pulled off, however, 4 hours sleep proved him wrong. Another case of dickheadism
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #51
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Never get hammered where I can't remember stuff, haven't had a hangover since I was 18.
When out with a friends we will have a few but it has never caused problems. No one in my group gets violent, aggressive, emotional or anything negative. At worst we get a bit too talkative and loud.

My dad was an alcoholic for a while and it was causing both him and the family problems, so I guess that makes me more aware of not letting it get out of hand.

I have gone months without alcohol and I found the less I drink, the less I want it, but I don't feel like alcohol has affected me negative in any way so I don't mind a couple.

I work with people who cannot go a day without a few drinks. In my job we work all differnt times, so some people drink when they get home no matter what time it is. They get home in the morning after night work and will have a few beers with breakfast. Or they get home at 4am, while most people will be getting to bed quickly so they don't see the sun rise, because once you see that sun, your body wants to wake up so it's much harder to get a good sleep , others will stay up drinking until after sunrise because they can't sleep without it. You know it's bad when you are at that point.
As a shiftworker at the time I felt nothing wrong with having a few ales after a midnight shift while my daughters were eating cereal before school. Sort of having "knock off" drinks after work like a regular person.

My ex thought nothing of it and my daughters didn't either - although I pretty much had a beer in the claw most of the time once I was home and dusted for the day.

The neighbours gave me quite a few odd looks while I was mowing the lawn doing hot laps at 8am with a stubbie on hand.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #52
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
As a shiftworker at the time I felt nothing wrong with having a few ales after a midnight shift while my daughters were eating cereal before school. Sort of having "knock off" drinks after work like a regular person.

My ex thought nothing of it and my daughters didn't either - although I pretty much had a beer in the claw most of the time once I was home and dusted for the day.

The neighbours gave me quite a few odd looks while I was mowing the lawn doing hot laps at 8am with a stubbie on hand.

Cheers!
Mate, thats a case of did the neighbors know you were used to doing the graveyard shift on the daily... had it been 6pm I'm sure most wouldn't even turn a blind eye provided you aren't swerving with the mower
Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #53
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Keep the hell away from spirits!
Beer is my only drink now, much easier to maintain, and count how many standard drinks you've had.
If you like a drink, or two, be in control.
Couldn't agree more. Know four blokes who committed suicide and all gave spirits a nudge.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post

Cheers!
I do understand where you are coming from in regards to the knock off beers, but being unable to sleep without alcohol sounds bad to me. Like people who cannot sleep without sleeping tablets, it can be good for your body to be relying on something like that.
I personally hate the feeling of drinking alcohol and then going to bed soon after. If I finish in the afternoon I may have a few beers around dinner time, but if I get home after dinner I wont drink at all because it's too close top bed time.

Same goes with going out with mates, I haven't been out drinking to the wee hours of the night for a long time. When we go out I try to organize it for a late afternoon session. If I have been drinking in the few hours before bed, I will keep waking up, and the time I am asleep doesn't feel refreshing.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #55
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Mate, thats a case of did the neighbors know you were used to doing the graveyard shift on the daily... had it been 6pm I'm sure most wouldn't even turn a blind eye provided you aren't swerving with the mower
This is a daily thing in Kalgoorlie! This town is run by mining, 12 hour shifts round the clock, all year round, especially in summer time when it stays in the mid 20s overnight there is plenty of beer flowing at 6am on front lawns, back patios, and open pubs after work!
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #56
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

I'm almost identical except I probably have a 2-3 drinks a couple of times a month. When I do I am happy to slowly enjoy a few top shelf scotches whilst the people I'm with go for volume. My dad was also an alcoholic and my drinking pattern changed 20 years ago the day my first child was born, I was not having her raised in a house with a heavy drinker. I also used to see the negative side of excess drinking when I used to do security and would not let myself act like that.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #57
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stuff thats in the back of my mind which i can block out when im sober, CAN (rarely) come out when ive been drinking

99% of the time, im happy having a few. But ive found if i start when im already in a foul mood from the day, then it doesnt get better.

Tonight has been a doosy, would like to forget today.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #58
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’m posting this in both the Ice and Alcohol threads for those who may have missed it.

For parents, family and friends who have loved ones that are suffering from addictions, Catalyst on the ABC tonight had a program on Oxytocin.

This is a chemical that is produced in the body that looks as though it may have great potential in treating social disorders such alcoholism and drug addictions.

And for those who believe addicts are responsible for their own addictions this study does not agree with you.

Catalyst presented a 20 minute story on how and why Oxytocin is produced in the body of very young children and the effects this has on addictions in later life.

For anyone interested you should be able to catch a repeat of it on the ABC’s iView.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4402591.htm
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #59
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
stuff thats in the back of my mind which i can block out when im sober, CAN (rarely) come out when ive been drinking

99% of the time, im happy having a few. But ive found if i start when im already in a foul mood from the day, then it doesnt get better.

Tonight has been a doosy, would like to forget today.
I can totally relate there brother.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 PM   #60
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
I'm almost identical except I probably have a 2-3 drinks a couple of times a month. When I do I am happy to slowly enjoy a few top shelf scotches whilst the people I'm with go for volume. My dad was also an alcoholic and my drinking pattern changed 20 years ago the day my first child was born, I was not having her raised in a house with a heavy drinker. I also used to see the negative side of excess drinking when I used to do security and would not let myself act like that.
Now i wish we had caught up in sydney...

For some top shelf scotch