Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #31
Thornie
Off smelting

About 2-3months,started work up here for heymer metal ind. until i got a job at the smelter been keeping an eye out for for members in the gladstone and surrounding areas too try to meet some new faces and maybe go for a cruise or have a beer now and then. we acctully live in tannum sands which is a bloody buetiful place. 5 minutes walk from the beach and decent neighbours, i rekon gladstone would have to be the ford capital of australia with the amount of falcons you see around town, which i have no complaints

(spelling errors) :P
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #32
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

my brother lives at tannum. nice spot.

i have been here in miriam vale ( blink and you miss it ) for a year now. i am from central nsw ( Kandos / Rylstone) originally but moved to qld about 11 years ago.

what do you drive.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #33
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
Everytime a Victorian moves to Queensland the average IQ increases in both states
nice one mate but did you know that the only good thing about NSW is that it keeps victoria a f@cking long way from queensland.lol.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #34
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yep im moving up there to, to Strathpine on the 22nd of this month cant wait. So long to the -4 Degree temps at 5am on the way to work
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 AM   #35
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
the cane farmers and fruit growers are always on tv saying the cant get workers for picking or driving the trucks to deliver the harvest so you might be able to get casual work there until you find a permanent job or your apprentiship.

would be seasonal so depends on what area you move to = what crops are grown = when the work is on.

cane harvest is on now for next couple of months, mangos should be starting then.
i remember last year that they said a lot of mangos were dumped because they couldn`t get drivers to take them to the markets.

everyone wants to work in the mines and makes it hard for the lesser paid jobs to find workers.
I'd love to do that sort of work. A couple years ago I worked doing fruit picking and general labour on a mates farm, was a tight knit group so got to drive trucks around etc and it was great fun. It was only alright pay but being outside all day with a good bunch of people was well worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
I moved from mildura to gladstone, QLD living with my best mate and his fiance, we are both working at the boyne aluminium smelter best move i ever made and the moneys great as well.
Cheers mate, will look into places around there including Tannum.

TE50 - Where abouts is Strathpine? Haven't heard of it before!

Definitely going to look well into places like Airlie Beach as well, a friend who's moving up is going around Mackay somewhere, would be nice to be somewhat close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
I'm about 12 km south of Kinsgcliff at Hastings Point. Great area. Advantage is you get that "out of it" local friendly seaside/holiday town sort of living but have easy access to everything "else" from Tweed Heads up through to the Gold Coast and Brisbane if you want to go that far.
Kingscliff is pretty well self-contained. I usually shop at Sth Tweed though (it has an Aldi).
Consider Kingscliff, Cabarita Beach or maybe Pottsville or Fingal Head.
That sounds spot on mate. Definitely the sort of thing i'm after!

I think I might even take a road trip/holiday sometime and have a look at a lot of these different places.

Is anyone on here renting, or house owners?

Cheers guys.

PS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This would be the best way, safety in numbers:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e34_1188418579
Does this mean you're up for it mate? :
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 AM   #36
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Magnetic Island (20 mins by ferry from Townsville) is PERFECT from May to Nov and good in summer because there is always a sea breeze. Heaps of work. The ferries keep bringing nubile Sweedish and Norwegian backpackers every 90 minutes. And the Oz backpacker market is 95% female. Take a big baseball bat to fight them off. Beware of the english speaking ones. They are looking for a full time entry ticket to Oz. As in marriage. But you have never seen such gorgeous women as the Norwegians. Apparently it is not just Australia where the males spend their money on Beer, Cars and picking up females. Thats why o/s backpackers are mostly females. Townsville has a huge car culture. Ford Performance club, cruises, Drags, Circuit sprints, Hillclimbs, Show N Shine etc. Do it.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #37
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munroman
Magnetic Island (20 mins by ferry from Townsville) is PERFECT from May to Nov and good in summer because there is always a sea breeze. Heaps of work. The ferries keep bringing nubile Sweedish and Norwegian backpackers every 90 minutes. And the Oz backpacker market is 95% female. Take a big baseball bat to fight them off. Beware of the english speaking ones. They are looking for a full time entry ticket to Oz. As in marriage. But you have never seen such gorgeous women as the Norwegians. Apparently it is not just Australia where the males spend their money on Beer, Cars and picking up females. Thats why o/s backpackers are mostly females. Townsville has a huge car culture. Ford Performance club, cruises, Drags, Circuit sprints, Hillclimbs, Show N Shine etc. Do it.
Seasonal fruit picking work is an awesome way to see these overseas exotic backpacker girls. When I finished school I went to Mooroopna near Shepparton Vic. and did pear picking for 6 weeks or so and let me tell u the caliber of these women, also Norwigian, and what not was right off the scale, lol. : Hey I'm prob. stating the obvious, but just type all these places into google images and there are heaps of images, info etc. on each place to get a bit of an idea.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #38
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Strathpine is about 20 minutes north of Brisbane. Its close to Dayboro, Samford, Mt Nebo/Glorious and about 15 minute drive from Redcliffe. Not exactly seaside living but has a mid sized industrial estate which you'll have no worries finding work in.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #39
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van D
TE50 - Where abouts is Strathpine? Haven't heard of it before!
Its 20mins Nth of Brisbane im sure (QLDer's) will tell me otherwise, Pine rivers
Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Strathpine is about 20 minutes north of Brisbane. Its close to Dayboro, Samford, Mt Nebo/Glorious and about 15 minute drive from Redcliffe. Not exactly seaside living but has a mid sized industrial estate which you'll have no worries finding work in.
: i didnt even read your post and i was right and im 1700km from there lol
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #41
EL XR8

It's god to hear that a few people have made themove to QLD, and are liking it.
I'm yet another Victorian doing the move in the next few months. Move up and buy a house with my old man, around the Gold Coast. It's just the lifestyle you get with the weather and beaches around the majority of QLD, that places lke Victoria can't compete...
Also, being a sparky shouldn't make finding a job too hard, so that should make the move easier...
EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post