Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #31
matt-chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
Dam that looks so good. I think it might be time to upgrade my steering wheel and modify my set up :
Mate, that cockpit looks quite well thought out with all the adjustments and what not. Nice work. I think the only improvement you could do to that is a proper racing bucket. Would make it more comfortable when you play for hours on end.

As well as now having the G25, I have the equivalent PS2 wheel like yours (have had for a couple of years), I think its called the Driving Force EX (blue instead of red). Its USB so its supported on PC and I can say after a direct comparison, I lap faster with the G25... by about a second or two each lap. Its awesome.... and as much as it may seem like it, i don't actually work for logitech, I just really like the wheel. DO IT DO IT DO IT!
matt-chops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #32
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-chops
Mate, that cockpit looks quite well thought out with all the adjustments and what not. Nice work. I think the only improvement you could do to that is a proper racing bucket. Would make it more comfortable when you play for hours on end.

As well as now having the G25, I have the equivalent PS2 wheel like yours (have had for a couple of years), I think its called the Driving Force EX (blue instead of red). Its USB so its supported on PC and I can say after a direct comparison, I lap faster with the G25... by about a second or two each lap. Its awesome.... and as much as it may seem like it, i don't actually work for logitech, I just really like the wheel. DO IT DO IT DO IT!
I got the plans for this a 3 or 4 years ago from a company in WA. They had a web site but i havn't been able to find it. All i had to was build it, this one is a little rough as i only had hand tools to cut the mdf with. I have been looking for a seat or something to go in it but havn't found anything as yet. I had to open up the steering wheel and actually screwed it down as i broke the plastic clamps it came with :

I have been thinking about updating the wheel and the G25 looks awsome for this.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #33
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I found a couple sites the have these cockpits
http://www.hyperstimulator.com/
http://www.hyperactiveracing.com.au/
I think this place might be worth a trip to http://www.redmist.com.au/welcome.html
Old 14-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #34
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
My friends and I have given mine a pretty decent workout over a year, a lot in sequential mode (GT4) but also using the H-gate setting for GT Legends etc... and we've never had a problem with it. It does feel a little flimsy but its not attached to anything resembling an actual gear box, so its not going to feel as solid. If it can survive my drunken mates shifting gears like its a $100 bush basher then its strong enough for me.

I'm honestly more worried about the 5 speed in my BA

Matt, best thing you could do is get your hands on a car seat and build a cockpit for it . I built mine myself and it is awesomely sweet

Brrro...Why you have Vl Seat!?
Xr Seat is heaps better...their a bucket type shape.....nicer feel when you go around corners;)
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Hybrid34 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #35
phill_33
dorifitoing everywhere

got some pictures of my set up, it was done really rough.

not really happy with it but its good enough for now. when i get to bored with this set up ill make a full fiberglass cockpit :evil3:
phill_33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #36
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Time for a bigger TV there mate!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #37
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34
Brrro...Why you have Vl Seat!?
Xr Seat is heaps better...their a bucket type shape.....nicer feel when you go around corners;)
Its from a JE camira (so it may be the same as the VL). It come from my first car, so its kinda like a memento
I don't want anything from a commodore or falcon untill the BA at least because i can't afford the better ones (ss, xr etc..) and the stock ones are crap IMO. For some reason, when the 90's rolled around, holden and ford decided to make the seats in the base model cars, big and soft. That may be nice to sit in but its not very sporty. There are a hell of a lot of 80's seats that feel alot more 'sports car' like than their 90's counterparts.
A seat from a BA or newer XT would be good, but i can't afford that either.
The camira seat is height adjustable, slides back and forwards, and has lumbar support so it'll do for now. Unless someone has a BA seat they want to donate
I don't go round corners fast enough to fall out of it anyway
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #38
phill_33
dorifitoing everywhere

Quote:
Time for a bigger TV there mate!
yer its just a crappy tv my brother left behind when he moved out.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #39
farah9

Sorry to post in an old thread, but just wanted to let everyone know the G25'S are on sale for $298 at dick smiths and if their out of stock go to JB HI-FI and get them to match the price. I got mine tonight, the guy at JB nearly had a heart attack when I showed him the price that was in the dick smith catalogue, they still had a price tag of $449, but they ended up matching it. Now I guess i'll go and give the wheel a try.
farah9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #40
phill_33
dorifitoing everywhere

well, i now have an excuss to build a new cockpit : i was playing gt4 when i took a corner and the supports snaped off hahahahaha. was preety suprised that it lasted this long considering how badly and quickly it was put together.ill post pictures up when ive built the new one, cant wait!!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #41
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does the gate shifter work on ps2's?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #42
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G25 works for 360's yeah? might have to consider grabbing one at that price at DSE.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #43
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-chops
Wow. If there was one word to describe what I have in front of me, its simply WOW!

I was lucky enough to convince the other half that for Christmas this year I *needed* the new Logitech G25 steering wheel for PC and PS2/3. Even before I got this thing I knew it was the daddy of gaming wheels, but having used it for a couple of hours now, I know why, it is simply amazing. It is a twin-motor force feedback, 11", brushed stainless and hand stitched leather wheel with a separate shifter unit with the option for 6-speed (+ reverse) or sequential shift, as well as paddle shift on the wheel itself. The pedals (3 of them... there is even a clutch) are also brushed stainless and have some kind of spring or hydraulic system behind them for a realistic race car feel.

THIS. IS. AWESOME!

I you play racing sims at all, go and get one of these. Its better than sliced bread. It's almost better than driving a real car, because it almost feels like you are driving a real car.... Also, if you don't already, start playing Live For Speed or RFactor. Just so much fun. :
hey dude.. so there is more out there... my bro and i r currently live for speed users and a happy owner of 2 g25 steering wheels. can find me online now and again. brother usually on 8 hrs a day if u want to search username FPV_125
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #44
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
G25 works for 360's yeah? might have to consider grabbing one at that price at DSE.

That is a negative. Microshaft only let you use their products on the x360 thats why you must get their dodgy steering wheel. i already have a g25 and theres no way im getting a shoddy microsoft wheel for the 360. Forza will be played with a controller.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #45
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

So what are people using for the PS3? These G25's look the goods but it seems they are not compatible with the PS3.

Thanks.
Dave.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #46
farah9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
So what are people using for the PS3? These G25's look the goods but it seems they are not compatible with the PS3.

Thanks.
Dave.
They work fine on the PS3, thats what i'm using mine on, GT5 prologue, works great it just doesn't have the PS button, when you want to shut the system off you just need to use the standard controller, on the subject of PS3 look out for the standard controllers to be going cheap, because the new dual shock ones have just been released in USA.
farah9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #47
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah9
Sorry to post in an old thread, but just wanted to let everyone know the G25'S are on sale for $298 at dick smiths and if their out of stock go to JB HI-FI and get them to match the price. I got mine tonight, the guy at JB nearly had a heart attack when I showed him the price that was in the dick smith catalogue, they still had a price tag of $449, but they ended up matching it. Now I guess i'll go and give the wheel a try.
I seen that a few days ago i so need to get this I looked up ebay on them to a while ago and they were going for 300 back when this thread started...wander what there worth now on ebay
Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #48
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is going to get expensive, PS3 + GT5 + G25............

Better do some more overtime.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #49
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104

Thanks.
Dave.
Works fine. Its nice to be playing a Gran Turismo game with a clutch, finally
Old 13-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #50
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Works fine. Its nice to be playing a Gran Turismo game with a clutch, finally
How good is the experience overall? I love that the G25 supports the PS3 and am exceptionally dissapointed that Microsoft are so nearsighted over the 360 (G25 and Forza would be brilliant). Does it feel like a reasonable representation of driving an actual car in GT?

I think it was GT3 I used to play with a wheel and never felt quite right, but was fun.. if it's reasonably realistic with the latest, I'd probably fork out for a PS3.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Oh, ontop of that... can you drive Gran Tourismo from a cockpit view?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #52
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
How good is the experience overall? I love that the G25 supports the PS3 and am exceptionally dissapointed that Microsoft are so nearsighted over the 360 (G25 and Forza would be brilliant). Does it feel like a reasonable representation of driving an actual car in GT?

I think it was GT3 I used to play with a wheel and never felt quite right, but was fun.. if it's reasonably realistic with the latest, I'd probably fork out for a PS3.
I bought it the morning it came out (27/03) and played it for several hours every day for two weeks. Finally put away the cockpit on thursday but after three days i'm dying to get back to it and it'll be on again when i get home from work tomorrow

Its much much more realistic than any of the previous games. The lack of power oversteer has been fixed, you can now push a car into a slide using the accelerator not just momentum and lack of grip. You can slide cars on racing tires if you push them hard enough. Its so realistic that a lot of people are complaining that its too hard. It does start off pretty easy, i've always been preaching about how the GT games are great but way too easy and prologue starts off like the others but by the time you get to the last races it is pretty hard. Might be easier with TC/ABS etc... turned on but i don't use them cause i'm all man :hihi: besides if an F40 doesn't need them the other cars shouldn't. Some people are complaining that the mid engined cars are almost undriveable. Some of them (the GT, Lotus's or Lotai plural ) are very hard to control when you get off the power.

The clutch/h-gate is great though at the moment you have to 'enable' the clutch at the start of every race (by hitting the triangle button on the shifter) because for some reason there isn't a default setting for the G25. This sounds like something that will be fixed in one of the future online updates, i hope so anyway because its a little annoying.
Don't worry though, it is 100% compatible. If you change gears without the clutch the car will catch in neutral meaning you have to reengage the clutch and shift into the proper gear again. Heal and toeing is awesome and you can go down though each gear or skip gears.

For me, the main downside to the game is the online races and download updates. I don't have broadband (i steal my neighbors wireless but its too slow) so i have to take my PS3 to my mates place and download them there. You don't need to download the updates, though they have patch fixes for some of the small glitches and there will be more cars in future. Anyone that has broadband won't be worried about it though, but to me, it just feels less console game and more PC game. One of the main reasons the i loved the previous GT games is that i didn't have to worry about my PS2 randomly deciding to not work properly the way my computers always do, ie it was generally more reliable than a computer. The updates are free so thats good at least.

As for the racing, at the moment you can't choose who you race with. You pick a car and track, then get randomly matched with a bunch of idiots that just ram you off the track at the first chance. Also, the cars are so jerky. I've only played online at my mates place but even his super fast broadband didn't help. Hopefully these things will be fixed in a future update, it shouldn't be hard for polyphony to copy the normal system that online games have been using forever of choosing a host and playing against your mates rather than strangers.

If you are after realism (and especially if you already have a G25) i would run and grab a PS3/GT5 prologue pack as soon as possible. They are about $699rrp i think. If you are purely after online gaming i'd stick with your 360 though. I don't have much experience with the Xbox but from what i've read on gaming forums they are still better at the online stuff than the sony.

EDIT: Cockpit view, the graphics in general, F40 and F430 Ferrari's are all like sex with several hot women. The sounds are pretty good too. New GTR sucks though, its very 'technology over style/substance' IMO.

Rodp, the cockpit view is so sexy you can see the grain on the leather wheels As far as i know you can use the cockpit view on all the cars except the GTR concept car, its available on the road car though. Even better though IMO, is the reverse view when driving from the cockpit in the Ferrari's (or any of the mid engined cars really, but i'm in love with the Ferrari's). The sight of the engines sitting under the rear windows looks absolutely awesome

Last edited by 3vXT; 13-04-2008 at 08:45 PM.