Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #31
Dodge
i like to be stroked

RG the rate these guys work they almost do, funny how contractors can build a bridge faster than the council can fix a pot hole
Old 03-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #32
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It can be frustrated for motorists, the other day Eastlink was down to 40 k' for a reasonable stretch - why?? they appeared to be setting up a new pole at the side of the road. 3 lanes of freeway that could support a higher limit than the current limit of 100'ks but all we can do is 40.

As for people that suggest it only takes an extra minute or two to slow down, this is correct, but it would also only take a minute or two to remove the signs when the workers leave. I think motorists get complacent, I travel a fair bit on the Monash and as such I cant recall driving without encountering some sort of road works and most of the time there is no one to be seen in or around the area that has been defined.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #33
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It can be frustrated for motorists, the other day Eastlink was down to 40 k' for a reasonable stretch - why?? they appeared to be setting up a new pole at the side of the road. 3 lanes of freeway that could support a higher limit than the current limit of 100'ks but all we can do is 40.
I had posted this previously, you cant have lanes with different speed limit travelling in the same direction (unless they are physically divided by a traffic island etc).
If they are working in one lane, then all lanes must have the reduced limit.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #34
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I had posted this previously, you cant have lanes with different speed limit travelling in the same direction (unless they are physically divided by a traffic island etc).
If they are working in one lane, then all lanes must have the reduced limit.
My point wasnt to have different speeds for differnet lanes which wouldnt work - my point is why slow us down to 40 in the first place? - the workman were off the road (which does have an emergency lane, which they were also off)

Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #35
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Umm ... if a car was to spear off the road at 100kmh into the work area.. how much of a chance of survival do you think they would have?

If they are putting up a pole.... how quick are you on the brakes at 100kmh when the pole falls onto the road?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty hard to spear off the road with 5 ton concrete dividers together between us and them.
one other pet peave for me is constantly changeing speed zones, dear old Melbourne`s western ring road .......... 7 or 8 different speed zones in 10 k`s or there abouts, when the road is busy the traffic is constantly speeding up and slowing down, how can this be safe or enviromentally friendly? why not just set the limit to 80 and be done with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #37
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
pretty hard to spear off the road with 5 ton concrete dividers together between us and them.
So they use them at every single road work site do they?
And where in the above post I was replying to were they mentioned?

It never ceases to amaze me how people simple dont give a toss about road workers safety. Obviously youve never had to deal with abusing morons on the road while your fixing a road.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #38
SilentDave

I have seen a few confusing speed signs at roadwork sites ie 40/60km signs side by side but what cheeses me off is the fact that 99% of the roadworks I have gone thru in WA don't have anything after the restricted zones to say that the resticted zone is finished
Old 03-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #39
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
one other pet peave for me is constantly changeing speed zones, dear old Melbourne`s western ring road .......... 7 or 8 different speed zones in 10 k`s or there abouts, when the road is busy the traffic is constantly speeding up and slowing down, how can this be safe or enviromentally friendly? why not just set the limit to 80 and be done with it.
Tell that to the family of the bloke collected by a truck on the Western hwy a couple of years back.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #40
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Umm ... if a car was to spear off the road at 100kmh into the work area.. how much of a chance of survival do you think they would have?

If they are putting up a pole.... how quick are you on the brakes at 100kmh when the pole falls onto the road?
About the same chance any pedestrians has at the side of any major road. Do you advocate reducing all speed limits, just in case a car spears off a road? I never said we should be doing 100k's through a work area, what I am suggesting is that 40K's in this situation was excessive, add to that, the limit wasnt simply around the work site but for a reasonable distance before and after the work site.

Fyi they were setting up a pole (pole was in place, would suggest they were put a CCTV cam up on the pole) There was no concrete barrier.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #41
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
Apart from the fact that concrete dividers make up such a small fraction of the barriers of roadworks I pass through, that just adds another element of potential injury to occupants of vehicles, hence the lowering of the limit in that area.

The M5 in Sydney have them in an 80 zone on the highway (normally 110) and are right on the edge of the lane - no opportunity to slow or correct in case of an emergency. I'm actually surprised the speed is set at 80.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #42
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Apart from the fact that concrete dividers make up such a small fraction of the barriers of roadworks I pass through, that just adds another element of potential injury to occupants of vehicles, hence the lowering of the limit in that area.

The M5 in Sydney have them in an 80 zone on the highway (normally 110) and are right on the edge of the lane - no opportunity to slow or correct in case of an emergency. I'm actually surprised the speed is set at 80.
Just on that, I was talking to someone awhile ago, now that the Monash is 80k's from Toorak rd on, we were discussing when we used to travel along the Monash at 100k's surround by concrete barriers (the limit was 100k's back then) but it nexer bothered us, nor do I recall any fatalaties (feel free to correct me) Is our driving ability in general getting worse, which is resulting in these lower limits being enforced? Or is it simply an issue of living in a nanny state that has lead to the reduction in limits?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #43
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
About the same chance any pedestrians has at the side of any major road. Do you advocate reducing all speed limits, just in case a car spears off a road? I never said we should be doing 100k's through a work area, what I am suggesting is that 40K's in this situation was excessive, add to that, the limit wasnt simply around the work site but for a reasonable distance before and after the work site.

Fyi they were setting up a pole (pole was in place, would suggest they were put a CCTV cam up on the pole) There was no concrete barrier.
If you want to have an arguement and come up with rediculas assumptions go right ahead.

A road work area is a designated work area. OH@S rules apply.
One can assume that all states (QLD has/had the MUTC Manual of Uniform Traffic Code) has a traffice codes when it comes to setting up a work/ road work area.

This means it must be set up the same as every other area.

Do you HONESTLY EXPECT the motorist to slow down on a freeway to 40kmh in say a 50m stretch? Get real please. A suburban street is different. Again your forgetting about the safety of the workers.

In order to reduce the speed from 100kmh to 40 it MUST TRANSITION in stages 100, 80, 60, 40 and it must be done in a certain distance so the motorist doesnt brake heavy in order to achive his speed reduction.

This is why its such a large area... common sence anyone?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #44
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was on the main tassie highway 2 weeks ago, came around a fairly blind bend (speed limit is 110km/h) into "roadworks" (it was Sunday afternoon), the road was all completed and noone was there,but the signs were still up, I slowed to 40 or 50, within 30 seconds I had b doubles bearing down on me. and plenty of other traffic right up my clacker. They need to take them down on the weekends and in that case, even if they have to take them down and put them up when they get off lunch/back to work its a lot safer than taking a 110 zone that everyone does 120+ on down to 40kmh for no reason.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you want to have an arguement and come up with rediculas assumptions go right ahead.

A road work area is a designated work area. OH@S rules apply.
One can assume that all states (QLD has/had the MUTC Manual of Uniform Traffic Code) has a traffice codes when it comes to setting up a work/ road work area.

This means it must be set up the same as every other area.

Do you HONESTLY EXPECT the motorist to slow down on a freeway to 40kmh in say a 50m stretch? Get real please. A suburban street is different. Again your forgetting about the safety of the workers.

In order to reduce the speed from 100kmh to 40 it MUST TRANSITION in stages 100, 80, 60, 40 and it must be done in a certain distance so the motorist doesnt brake heavy in order to achive his speed reduction.

This is why its such a large area... common sence anyone?
Incorrect there were no transition signs there was two signs one well before (for arguements sake lets say 600m and one after again 600m) - there were no other signs. Where did I state a 50m stretch? I wasnt refering to a suburban streeet - take Princess Hwy as an example if you like (in regards to pedestrians, school kids etc we still travel at 80k's) Any more ridiculous assumptions you would like to make????? I am not the one that assumed 50 metres, nor am I the one who assumed transition signs were put up.

You want common sense, then pull the signs down when work is not being undertaken - as I stated in my first post, motorists need to stop being complacent, Reducing limits only when work is undertaken will assist in reducing motorists complaceny.

Edit: Add to that the reduced limit should reflect the risk to the workers - if they are working in the middle of the road slow traffic down to 40'ks - if they are working 25 metres off the road reduce the limit to 80'ks (not 40) Now that would be common sense wouldnt Jim

Last edited by SB076; 04-06-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

every major freeway site i have seen in Melbourne barriers are erected in some area`s fences also these are also 80 kph.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #47
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

I have zero problem with the roadworks speed zones when the workers are working, what I do have a problem with is leaving the signs there when there is no work happening and there is nothing reducing the safety of that section of road compared to it's normal state. It used to be when the workers left for the day the signs would come down and limit go back to normal, now this never seems to happen.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #48
LTDHO
The one and only

I recall reading an arguement somewhere, the road works guy said
"How would you like cars driving through your workplace at 100kph?"
I thought, firstly I work in my workplace, I don't lean on shovels, and have extended brakes, secondly there is a danager to mosst jobs, this is the enviroment you chose. Finally, be fair to the motorist, take down the signs to allow the road to be used at it's potential.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #49
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Incorrect there were no transition signs there was two signs one well before (for arguements sake lets say 600m and one after again 600m) - there were no other signs. Where did I state a 50m stretch? I wasnt refering to a suburban streeet - take Princess Hwy as an example if you like (in regards to pedestrians, school kids etc we still travel at 80k's) Any more ridiculous assumptions you would like to make????? I am not the one that assumed 50 metres, nor am I the one who assumed transition signs were put up.
If there was no transitions ie it went from 100kmh to 40kmh then you can safely continue at 100kmh and explain it to the cop when he pulls you over for speeding in that zone. No transitions means you can argue about it and win. Sorry you seemed to missed that bit when i posted it before...

Your orginal post as follows...

Quote:
Now you say they were 25m off the road?????

You said in your orginal post that the speed reduction was for a reasonable stretch, to which my reply was that do you expect the average motorist to slow down in a 100kmh zone for 50m? Hence why it is longer then what is needed.

Quote:
Edit: Add to that the reduced limit should reflect the risk to the workers - if they are working in the middle of the road slow traffic down to 40'ks - if they are working 25 metres off the road reduce the limit to 80'ks (not 40) Now that would be common sense wouldnt Jim
I cant help it if the story keeps changing or bits are added.. youd make an awful witness in court. Give the full info of the situtation in the first instance, saves creating an argument later, but im guessing you enjoy arguing about common sence too...

Quote:
You want common sense, then pull the signs down when work is not being undertaken - as I stated in my first post, motorists need to stop being complacent, Reducing limits only when work is undertaken will assist in reducing motorists complaceny.
In what situations? In every case?
What if the road has no line markings?
If the final layer of bitumen isnt applied?
Large amounts of rocks on the road?
Lanes left closed?
Diversions set up?
Sorry in all those case speed reductions will apply.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #50
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Ive been reading a lot of complaints, lets put it into prespective. I get the feeling the only way to truly solve this issue is to allow high speed traffic, to travel through all our work places, be it the office or workshop or or or, We all only want to go home to our families at night, all of us not only drivers. And second, NO, no explanation required, Road work laws are road work laws. Like to see the roads fix themselves.. Im really beginning to see a severe lack of consideration within modern society. A good mate of mine is part of a road construction team, i trully hope i never get an invitation to a funeral.... enouph said....... And how many times has one seen one lowly ute at a road work site on a highway. But obviously no one must be around, so lets drive 100.......
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #51
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If there was no transitions ie it went from 100kmh to 40kmh then you can safely continue at 100kmh and explain it to the cop when he pulls you over for speeding in that zone. No transitions means you can argue about it and win. Sorry you seemed to missed that bit when i posted it before... .
No I didnt see where you said no tranistion means you continue at usual speed limit (where did you say that?)

Quote:
Now you say they were 25m off the road????? .
No - perhaps you need to read my post I never stated they were 25m of the road in regards to the Eastlink example they were off the emergency lane - as stated previously. The 25m comment was just a hypothetical scenario of reduced risk, minimal reduction on the speed limit. Interesting that you failed to pick up that I also stated that when workers are in the middle of the road the speed limit should be 40 k's. Nice try though

Quote:
You said in your orginal post that the speed reduction was for a reasonable stretch, to which my reply was that do you expect the average motorist to slow down in a 100kmh zone for 50m? Hence why it is longer then what is needed. .
I will keep it simple for you - No - I never stated 50m, that was your own ridiculous arguement.

Quote:
I cant help it if the story keeps changing or bits are added.. youd make an awful witness in court. Give the full info of the situtation in the first instance, saves creating an argument later, but im guessing you enjoy arguing about common sence too... .
i thought by subtly highlighting sense you would have picked up on that - obviously not. I have not changed my story, you are obviously struggling to comprehend the scenario I presented early and even though you dont appear to have witnesses the road work first hand you still feel the need to tell me what happened - you would make a great politician.

For the record - We should slow down through work places (be it road works or subbies working at the side of the road) I have never suggested we shouldnt - however signs need to pulled down when work isnt taking place. Why is that so hard for you to understand? You will have less drivers ignore the signs and a safer working enviroment. Read some of the posts above, people are getting frustrated with signs being left out.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #52
hopk88
Formally KezDaMuss

there is nothing more annoying then slowing down for roadwork and there is no bugger working on it. I understand that these speed caps are put in place for the safety of the workers but if they arent working they need to take the resposiblity to cover up the signs.

3 times last week on the bruce highway going northbound there was signs telling 110kmh traffic to slow down to 40 in 2 seperate zones where there were nothing but orange barricades!!

i think it should be the responsibility of the council to at least cover up these signs when they arent there. Just plain courtesy
Reverse Parking Sensors, Full XR6 Body Kit, 18" XR8 Mag's, BMC Air Filter, F6 Typhoon Airbox with F6 Lower Intake & XR6 Turbo Upper Intake Snorkel, XR6 Turbo Exhaust, DBA Street Series Standard Front & Rear Rotors, Bendix GCT Front & Rear Pads
hopk88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #53
shroomies49

I don't know if it's the same in any of the other states, but here in Qld at EVERY night roadworks you will find a cop car sitting there with their lights on having a lil snooze (while getting overtime pay, lol) to keep people from speeding.

=)
Tenille
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #54
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomies49
(while getting overtime pay, lol)
No such thing.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post