Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Walkinshaw Buys New Age Caravans....

I was looking at attempting to build a caravan priced in the $80-$120K bracket, it gives you room to include Australian made steel and suspension setups, Japanese bearings and electrical system that wasn't made with crimp terminals and crimped with pliers.

Weight wise keep it to 2750KG or there abouts so it gives you a few hundred kilos to move (most dual cabs can do 3500kg legally).

Regardless of what caravan you buy and its price they are all abortions electrically, we're constantly fixing electrical issues due to poor wiring.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-11-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
http://www.grandcruiser.com.au/gc-1550/
http://aoxinda.en.made-in-china.com/...a-Caravan.html

2min on google. Actually, I said 2min to make you feel better. it actually took around 20sec to find that.

And there are a couple of camper trailer brands that are selling Chinese made campers in Sydney, I cant recall the name, but it was no secret when they were less than half the price.

After the Mirage Campers debacle, I'd be hesitant about dropping $50k on 'Aus quality' ....
Strange, Grandcruiser caravans is an Australian company that did a stint in China manufacturing caravans.

Keep googling.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Have you even bothered to try to look?

If you are incapable of using the resources of the internet then go to the next camping show and ask.
Oh yes I do look, nothing on the scale you talk about, by the way not all Chinese products are inferior & Chinese products are not the cause destroying brand name Australian caravans, as for caravan industry in turmoil you still have not shown a link to prove this.

As for the few shonks well that could be said for any industry, I won't deny there are some small dodgy businesses.

Saying Nomads are tight bunch, yes that is true for their day to day living expenses but you get a big fail for your comment saying they buy cheap as they will spend big when purchasing caravans, vehicles & ancillary equipment.

Oh btw I do regularly go to CIA caravan shows each year.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #34
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Strange, Grandcruiser caravans is an Australian company that did a stint in China manufacturing caravans.

Keep googling.
Give it a rest with your attempts to deflect accurate information.

From the greynomads website:

"Grandcruirer vans are made in China. They has a couple on display at the last Brisbane Caravan Show that I attended and neither conformed to Austrailan VSB1 standards."

There will be some/minor assembly of the van performed in Australia, but this hardly goes towards claiming it being manufactured in Australia, but then again you probably think Ikea products are Australian manufactured?

Also, the Belmont NSW address of Grandcruiser is a well know sales yard.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #35
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Same could be said for you!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #36
Warrenk

Quote:

"Grandcruirer vans are made in China. They has a couple on display at the last Brisbane Caravan Show that I attended and neither conformed to Austrailan VSB1 standards."

There will be some/minor assembly of the van performed in Australia, but this hardly goes towards claiming it being manufactured in Australia, but then again you probably think Ikea products are Australian manufactured?
You can't believe a lot of the stuff written on those forums? These so called grey nomad experts get fantasy mixed up with reality (Mandela effect)
As far as I am aware Grandcruiser caravans are flatpacked from China and fully assembled in Australia. As far as not conforming to VSB01, if they don't they will be in the company of a number of other caravans made in Australia.

It is a brave move by Walkinshaw to purchase a caravan manufacturing business. There over 150 caravan manufactures in Australia. Caravan manufacturing business' start up and fall over on a reqular basis
Old 07-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #37
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

Also, the Belmont NSW address of Grandcruiser is a well know sales yard.
Like I said, thats the fault of the grey nomad who bought on price for starters and not doing his/her homework.
Many people b itch after they bought but prior boast to their friends what a great deal they got.
The way of todays world, companies will come and go from now on, its not as in the 60/70's people need to be smarter.
I wouldn't tarnish all companies unless you're in the know.
I concur with trublu re grey nomads spending - from buying new Cruisers/Hiluxs/Patrols/Rangers/Disco's fully kitted out then a van I wouldn't say they are tight.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Regardless of what caravan you buy and its price they are all abortions electrically, we're constantly fixing electrical issues due to poor wiring.
Thats what happens when they're done by hand.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Thats what happens when they're done by hand.
No its not its because they're built by retards who don't know their *** from their elbow when it comes to electrical work for automotive purposes.

Everything is just 'this will do'.

I seriously doubt that industry has auto electricians working for them because the electrical work in caravans is more abortions than the abortion clinic.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-11-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
No its not its because they're built by retards who don't know their *** from their elbow when it comes to electrical work for automotive purposes.

Everything is just 'this will do'.

I seriously doubt that industry has auto electricians working for them because the electrical work in caravans is more abortions than the abortion clinic.
There is cheaper, easier and more reliable ways to do it. You dont need auto elecs....they just dont want to throw the upfront cost.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:23 AM   #41
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That slogan will have to change...

I just want a nap.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #43
.:4:.
Kicking back

Will these be the only caravans with Brembos as part of the optional handling package?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #44
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
http://www.grandcruiser.com.au/gc-1550/
http://aoxinda.en.made-in-china.com/...a-Caravan.html

2min on google. Actually, I said 2min to make you feel better. it actually took around 20sec to find that.

And there are a couple of camper trailer brands that are selling Chinese made campers in Sydney, I cant recall the name, but it was no secret when they were less than half the price.

After the Mirage Campers debacle, I'd be hesitant about dropping $50k on 'Aus quality' ....
And some do a good job of hiding the fact they're not Australian Made like Bluetongue Campers which used to be all Australian made, now use mostly Chinese made trailers and tents and just modify them to meet Australian specs. They do make one in Aus though I believe, the rest are straight from China

They use wording like "Local Assembly" and "Australian Designed", when they are straight from China with minor Assembly in Australia.

You'd never guess looking at the website though
http://www.bluetonguecampers.com.au/
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #45
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
You can't believe a lot of the stuff written on those forums? These so called grey nomad experts get fantasy mixed up with reality (Mandela effect)
As far as I am aware Grandcruiser caravans are flatpacked from China and fully assembled in Australia. As far as not conforming to VSB01, if they don't they will be in the company of a number of other caravans made in Australia.

It is a brave move by Walkinshaw to purchase a caravan manufacturing business. There over 150 caravan manufactures in Australia. Caravan manufacturing business' start up and fall over on a reqular basis
What happens is the market can crash over night and this happens time and time again. it's like the building industry a mugs game, you may have millions in work in the pipe line coming up and then the next day it's all gone and the company is up **** creek without a paddle.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #46
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Dodge Ram and a New Age sound like a good package to me and a good business move for Walkinshaw...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #47
Big_Damo

Hope they release one in that Blue from the VL Walkinshaw with an over the top body kit
Wonder how fast these will go down the 1/4?
Big_Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post