Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #31
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Default Re: Every Bad Driver Stereotype just hit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooka View Post
Am I the only one thinking you should have been courteous and been in the left lane ? Drive for who is around you and the possible outcome such marking would possibly cause.
Your saying Sabantien should not have used the middle lane (as marked that you can also turn left), and assume the other person might ignore left turn only road rule and MAY go straight ahead ? really....
So yes to your question & think you could be one of the statistics why our insurance premiums are so high.
Old 22-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #32
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let's see who I have been hit by

A P plater in a junk Kia with no insurance.
A P plater in a junk Commodore who did have insurance surprisingly, but they left the scene of the crash they caused and had to be chased down by myself and another witness.

You hear so many people being hit by people with no insurance, I would say it's because people with no insurance are negligent, which is why they end up in so many accidents because they drive like crap.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #33
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Am I the only one thinking you should have been courteous and been in the left lane ? Drive for who is around you and the possible outcome such marking would possibly cause.
I once heard this joke.

A couple hopped in a taxi from the airport, and as the driver came to a red light he sped through. The couple were shocked and asked why he did that?

"Don't worry, my Uncle does it all the time!"

Every red light, the taxi driver went through.

Eventually they came to a green light and he slammed on the brakes.

"Why did you stop?!"

"My Uncle might be coming the other way!"

So, are you the taxi driver or his Uncle?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #34
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Let's see who I have been hit by

A P plater in a junk Kia with no insurance.
A P plater in a junk Commodore who did have insurance surprisingly, but they left the scene of the crash they caused and had to be chased down by myself and another witness.

You hear so many people being hit by people with no insurance, I would say it's because people with no insurance are negligent, which is why they end up in so many accidents because they drive like crap.
Yeah really needs to be compulsory to have at least 3rd party insurance
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #35
xr8cam

3rd party is compulsory in Australia
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #36
pursuit57
mortgage free !

think BradEL is referring to 3rd party property insurance for damage to other vehicles ? and not our Green Slip which yes is compulsory - otherwise it's no Green Slip no rego.
Old 22-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #37
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess extended 3rd party Ins could be made compulsory and added to the rego fees,BUT that would make the rego for all of us that drive regd vehicles more expensive,but wouldn't change anything with the A.Hs that don't bother with rego.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #38
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CTP & TPPD for cars is just plain wrong, they should make it compulsory for drivers not cars.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #39
Mooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Why should he have been in the left lane? Maybe he needed to make an immediate right turn after.
Perhaps the other person should not have attempted to go straight in a lane with massive white left-turn arrows painted on it.
It's called anticipating the idiot. Guess the idiot did exactly what an idiot would do...
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #40
Mooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57 View Post
Your saying Sabantien should not have used the middle lane (as marked that you can also turn left), and assume the other person might ignore left turn only road rule and MAY go straight ahead ? really....
So yes to your question & think you could be one of the statistics why our insurance premiums are so high.
Defensive driving you **** ! It's simple and saves lives, accidents are not intentional,you may be right by law but why not anticipate an idiot ? Holding the high ground won't help you in a hospital with life long injuries.

Badly designed intersection in my opinion.
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #41
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So people should never turn left from that middle lane on that road (or any road with multiple turn lanes) just incase some idiot goes straight from the wrong lane? Sure, prepare that anyone could do anything on the road at any time, but to avoid using certain lanes to "anticipate the idiot" is... well... idiocy.

Quote:
It's called anticipating the idiot. Guess the idiot did exactly what an idiot would do...
Which roads do you frequent, just so I can anticipate YOU.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #42
.:4:.
Kicking back

Isn't the first rule of driving to asume every other driver on the road is an idiot untill proven otherwise. There is a roundabout only a couple hundred metres from my house where one street meets the main road (3 exits, like a t intersection). from the side street there is a marked lane to turn left into the main road that is a dedicated lane. The amount of people who get cleaned up doing the right thing because people going straight on the main road jump lanes trying to straight line the roundabout amazes me.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #43
xr8cam

Employed person spends thousands doing up car, pays reg & insurance & follows the law.
Unemployed,unlicensed,unreg,uninsured driver totals employed mans car.
Unemployed man either gets away scott free or pays $5 a week for 20 years.
Employed man has to suck it up & start again. We all know insurance is useless once you start spending your hard earned on your car.
My answer to bad driving is to replace the P plate test with advanced driving schools, make Zero limit alcohol. I have no answer for people who don't give a damn about others & drive beyond their ability & without reg/insurance etc. Public stoning?
Old 22-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #44
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Employed person spends thousands doing up car, pays reg & insurance & follows the law.
Unemployed,unlicensed,unreg,uninsured driver totals employed mans car.
Unemployed man either gets away scott free or pays $5 a week for 20 years.
Employed man has to suck it up & start again. We all know insurance is useless once you start spending your hard earned on your car.
My answer to bad driving is to replace the P plate test with advanced driving schools, make Zero limit alcohol. I have no answer for people who don't give a damn about others & drive beyond their ability & without reg/insurance etc. Public stoning?
Don't rely on the insurance or lack thereof of other road users. Ensure that you yourself are adaquetly insured to the agreed value you are happy with, and with a reputable insurance company and there's not too much more to worry about. Then when someone uninsured hits you, you have your own insurance to fall back on.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #45
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Defensive driving you **** ! It's simple and saves lives, accidents are not intentional,you may be right by law but why not anticipate an idiot ? Holding the high ground won't help you in a hospital with life long injuries.

screw defensive driving. good offensive driving wins every time
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #46
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Defensive driving you **** ! It's simple and saves lives, accidents are not intentional,you may be right by law but why not anticipate an idiot ? Holding the high ground won't help you in a hospital with life long injuries. Badly designed intersection in my opinion.
How many dual turning lanes like this do you think are in place throughout the country....so each are badly designed huh ?

Old 22-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #47
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I'm so confused...

Should I have turned left or am I allowed to go straight?
Old 22-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #48
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would have been a different story in this thread if 4 cars were lined up 2x2 to go around the corner. She probably would have still gone straight through them.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #49
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

OH!

See, in your original post you said I should have been courteous to the person disobeying the marked lanes.

Now it's defensive driving.

Okay, cool. Well, I know that people who are in the lane I happened to be in will often cut the corner, crossing over the lines into my lane if i'm in the left, which is why I was in the right lane in the first place.

So I anticipated those idiots. Now I need to also anticipate the idiots who are not following the lanes as marked.
Quite honestly, we do what we can, but if we were to avoid something on the roads due to anticipating every idiot move someone can make, we'd never drive.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #50
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Fatalities I'd agree with.
But young female drivers are hot on their tail too - lots of them, just like young guys, seem to have the same idea that the P-plate creates this magical force field around the car that will simply reset the game & put them back on the road after it goes pear shaped.

Aggression, inattention/distraction, and recklessness are all major causes, and unfortunately are disproportionately higher in the young age bracket.

The number of people, mostly young, that I see on the M7 cruising along looking up & down into their laps while doing 110km/h astounds me. It is so obvious they are texting, especially when they start wandering across lanes, and for a P plater, it's enough points to be loss of licence - aside from having no concept of the dangers of it - but it still doesn't stop them.
Very true. In hindsight I shouldn't have been gender specific as 18-25 females are over represented in many forms of reckless behaviour besides driving.
Old 23-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #51
xr8cam

I am doing the limit in the right lane of a two lane freeway (M7). I am overtaking a truck slowly, maintaining the limit of 100km. The guy behind me is possibly less than a foot away, horn & highbeams going, indicating either my car is on fire or he wants me to speed up because he is in a hurry. I was not far enough in front of the truck I was overtaking to safely cut back into the left lane, before this idiot swerved across the path of the 18 wheeler to get off at the next exit. The company name & mobile was plastered all over the ute so I memorised the number and when home, informed the boss about the driving habits of one of his staff & reminded him that they are rolling add's for his business...The last time I sped to overtake, I copped a hefty fine & after pleading my case to the copper, he said " cannot speed to overtake" I hate being bullied by tailgaters, What do you do?
Old 23-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #52
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Im calling BS.

Not on the drivers, but on the Brisbane council who designed such a flawed setup. Why would you have 3 lanes in a suburban area all heading in the same direction and assume that a few arrows on the road will always be noticed. Well they werent, proof is in the pudding, the young lass didnt notice the arrows and went straight. Nowhere in Australia would I expect her to drive thinking that a car on her right would legally drive in front/into her. Stupid road design.

There is simply no Canberra equivalent to such terrible road/signage setup.

Ive never seen this in Sydney either.

I vividly recall somehow managing to get on to a 4-lane one-way road setup in suburban Brisbane in the early 2000s. I was baffled at the setup - so illogical.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #53
xr8cam

You guys in the capital have got it pretty good. Last time I was there, the roads were great quality, well signed, but the real eye opener was the traffic & drivers. Pretty good bunch from my experience & driving is a breeze compared to Sydney & Melbourne! I too have driven through Brisbane many times and just shook my head at the illogical intersections etc. Frightening that planners are so stupid.
Old 23-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #54
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
I was T boned by a woman who came off the exit ramp from the M2 and at the end of it when faced with a T intersection with 4 lanes of traffic, went straight through. My car was written off (EFII Fairmont wagon with an easy $10k in it) another car she clipped and her own car were all damaged. The cops turned up and told us to 'be on our way' I said , 'officer, she has to be dui or mobile ph' his reply ' swap details & go home'. I said to him,'how do you drive through a stop sign at a T intersection if your not dui/on drugs or phone?' I told him this car was my work car and I work for myself,the downtime from the the car was fully rebuilt etc had cost me a lot, he couldn't have cared less. What annoys me the most is, if I was in the wrong I know I would have been bagged & blood tested at a minimum by the coppers. 3 years ago I went down the shops about 11pm so I had ugg boots on. Anyway,at the lights my foot slipped and I JUST touched the car in front of me, no damage at all. There were police in the car who had knocked off so they rang there mates and I was taken to hospital after I returned a 0.0 bac and blood tested & urined. They couldn't get it through there thick heads that it was a simple mistake and I was sober. Remember there was no damage to either car. I got home a little after 1:30am. Look at the two situations and maybe you can see why I have little respect for the force. Yes they do a tough job, but it is a choice and there is the 'right way' & the 'wrong way' to do things. In that, they are no different to any other persons profession. On top of that, the woman's husband started to ring & pressure me into not going through insurance, mine insured for $4400. He said it wasn't her fault, that my car was only worth $1500 and her father had recently died and she was distracted...seriously?
Could I suggest the police attention was perhaps more directed at a fashion infringement? It was not your poor driving it was your poor fashion sense!
Old 23-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #55
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am doing the limit in the right lane of a two lane freeway (M7). I am overtaking a truck slowly, maintaining the limit of 100km. The guy behind me is possibly less than a foot away, horn & highbeams going, indicating either my car is on fire or he wants me to speed up because he is in a hurry. I was not far enough in front of the truck I was overtaking to safely cut back into the left lane, before this idiot swerved across the path of the 18 wheeler to get off at the next exit. The company name & mobile was plastered all over the ute so I memorised the number and when home, informed the boss about the driving habits of one of his staff & reminded him that they are rolling add's for his business...The last time I sped to overtake, I copped a hefty fine & after pleading my case to the copper, he said " cannot speed to overtake" I hate being bullied by tailgaters, What do you do?
I bet it was a plumber with p plates
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #56
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I once heard this joke.

A couple hopped in a taxi from the airport, and as the driver came to a red light he sped through. The couple were shocked and asked why he did that?

"Don't worry, my Uncle does it all the time!"

Every red light, the taxi driver went through.

Eventually they came to a green light and he slammed on the brakes.

"Why did you stop?!"

"My Uncle might be coming the other way!"

So, are you the taxi driver or his Uncle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Why should he have been in the left lane? Maybe he needed to make an immediate right turn after.
Perhaps the other person should not have attempted to go straight in a lane with massive white left-turn arrows painted on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57
I wouldn't get in the car with any of you lot. I'm with Mooka.
None of you would ride a motorbike, that's bloody obvious because you're still alive behind your keyboard. Sabantien - lmao........not surprised at all you were hit. What you didn't notice the 'Volvo' to your left??? You're the one taking the pi** out of Volvo drivers, yet you turned in front of one in a situation like that - rrrrriiiiiight. Bet you won't turn in front of drivers (or cars) that you stereotype as bad again mate you're gold!! I reckon the Volvo forums have this same thread with the same pic and they're laughing harder - and you say you heard a joke once......I'm near on crying here

As for the 'massive white lines' comment.....dead giveaway lmao.
It's intersections like this that will sort the learners of the driving community out every time

Driving defensive and offensive is a balance, get it wrong and you'll get hit by the Volvo driver every time or flattened by a heavy rigid, insurance is useless to you then

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 23-11-2016 at 07:03 PM.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #57
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
I'm so confused...

Should I have turned left or am I allowed to go straight?
Now I'm confused ... checking your avatar I thought you were straight already.
But who knows these days, bring on the whips, leather, and masks I say.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #58
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
I wouldn't get in the car with any of you lot. I'm with Mooka.
None of you would ride a motorbike, that's bloody obvious because you're still alive behind your keyboard. Sabantien - lmao........not surprised at all you were hit. What you didn't notice the 'Volvo' to your left??? You're the one taking the pi** out of Volvo drivers, yet you turned in front of one in a situation like that - rrrrriiiiiight. Bet you won't turn in front of drivers (or cars) that you stereotype as bad again mate you're gold!! I reckon the Volvo forums have this same thread with the same pic and they're laughing harder - and you say you heard a joke once......I'm near on crying here

As for the 'massive white lines' comment.....dead giveaway lmao.
It's intersections like this that will sort the learners of the driving community out every time

Driving defensive and offensive is a balance, get it wrong and you'll get hit by the Volvo driver every time or flattened by a heavy rigid, insurance is useless to you then
Look at the image again, please.

Are you telling me that under NO circumstances should you turn left from the middle lane here?

So you're siding with the woman in the Volvo who made an illegal maneuver - Think about that. This is a clearly marked road where legally you can turn left. Why argue for the sake of arguing? Its legal to turn left from the middle lane and I would too.
Old 23-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #59
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Sydney there would be a sign.
Left Lane Must Turn Left.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #60
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
In Sydney there would be a sign.
Left Lane Must Turn Left.
Unrelated, but in sydney in the past couple of years the merge signs have changed to ones that say change lane. Are people getting stupider? I hate it when someone on the on ramp decides to do 45 when I'm on the 110 speed limit and they move in like I'm invisible, and loaded, and have reduced ability to slow down. On ramps to the m4 are long, even if you are in a slow car you can atleast get to the speed limit in enough time to meet the speed of the passing traffic and merge easily. With all the safety around these days, it's like the last ditch effort of darwinism
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post