Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #31
j3t ute
shaggs

^^^^ Granted his average is around 53 (was 75 - which show he's in need of a good innings)... and I do like him, he plays like M Bevan, however he gets out before he gets to the run a ball 40-50.

I think it might be for a rotation for a game or two... Just let hiom, and a few other players know that they are not a confirmed player every innings
j3t ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #32
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3t ute
^^^^ Granted his average is around 53 (was 75 - which show he's in need of a good innings)... and I do like him, he plays like M Bevan, however he gets out before he gets to the run a ball 40-50.

I think it might be for a rotation for a game or two... Just let hiom, and a few other players know that they are not a confirmed player every innings
53? I think you're talking about ODI cricket. A form of the game I really don't care that much about in comparison with Test cricket.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #33
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

I reckon the Aussie Team left the good players for too long, didn't blood early enough.

It's like Essendon in the 90's, dam they couldn't be beaten, after 2-3 years, they struggled to win 1 game.

After loosing some really good players to retirements, I think they are in the stage, where "blooding new players" is all they can do.
So until there is more experience in these new players, don't expect the team of old.
It aint going to happen.

History paints the picture, all footbal clubs go through it, win 2 years in a row, then can't win for the next 2 years....It's all cyclic.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #34
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Its good for Test Cricket, The arrogant Australian team getting knocked off.........Certainly showed up Brett Lee when he didn't have McGrath or Warne keeping one end tight all the time..........
Old 28-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Its good for Test Cricket, The arrogant Australian team getting knocked off.........Certainly showed up Brett Lee when he didn't have McGrath or Warne keeping one end tight all the time..........
Sometimes I think I watch a different game to everyone else.

Brett Lee's average and economy rate has fallen since the retirement of Warne and McGrath and his strike rate has remained much the same.

IMO, his line and length has improved immesurably. Early in his career he captured many wickets from batsmen's eyes growing large and getting out to a wide short ball. Under proper tutelage, less loose stuff and more in the slot.

I have a lot of admiration for Lee. Huge heart that never gives up and is probably the best sportsman in the Aussie side - just have to look at the 05 Ashes series to see how the Poms revered him.
Old 28-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #36
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Well anyone can get wickets against New Zealand. Bit different when you play quality teams like India and South Africa.........
Old 28-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #37
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Bit different when you play quality teams like India and South Africa.........
it is a bit hard to take wickets when your foot is over the line (although lee still has a few that way, lucky the umpires were blind) or when you bowl at their legs defending 180
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Well anyone can get wickets against New Zealand. Bit different when you play quality teams like India and South Africa.........
His record vs India before and after McGrath's retirement is much the same.

vs SA, I don't know if he was carrying an injury into the series or not but sure, it wasn't a good series for him.

So this series vs SA is the one series he's struggled since McGrath's retirement so I still really don't understand your observation that it has shown up Lee. Clearly it hasn't.
Old 28-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #39
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

You have your opinion, I have mine..............
Old 28-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #40
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The Golden era is over,plain simple and thats how it is.......
It's hard to eat humble pie when we have been spoilt for 10-15yrs but this has to happen as in any sport or life cycle.
We should be very proud especially that because of us the others have rebuilt (India SA especially) and got stronger whilst we have not imo.......youth should have been put in far earlier mixing it with the recent retirement legends but all too late.
I'm amazed since Warne's rise and retirement a quality wrist spinner has not surfaced from his lead.

I don't think we will be as vulnerable as we were after the Lillee/Marsh/Chappel eras but in time we will be the strong No1 again as the loss's will make the hunger for success once again.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #41
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
You have your opinion, I have mine..............
When there's questions over a bowlers perfomance over a period of time, it's quite simple to get a quantitative analysis of that performance based on averages, strike rate and economy. To suggest that, in your opinion, Lee's performance has been poor since the retirement of McGrath and Warne, even though his figures have improved would likely put you in the minority.

If you were to suggest that he just had a poor showing against SA, I'd completely agree but it's certainly not indicitive of his form since the retirements of McGrath and Warne. Despite taking 1-249 his figures are still better than they were before McGrath and Warne's retirements.
Old 29-01-2009, 01:12 AM   #42
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THe greatest thing to happen to cricket is Australia's demise as THE superpower of the game.
Three World Cups in a row, number one test team for bloody ages. Every ruler dies, every politician lies, every sporting team (except world football) goes up and down.

We can't complain. At least now, the matches will be more interesting.
Yawn, how boring to just turn up to a match and win. Wow...exciting.

Essendon were also never unbeatable in the 1990s - they won one premiership (should have been two though), and Sheedy conceded they were lucky to do so that year.

And with regards to Lee, I think he's terrible, pre or post McGrath and Warne.
He gets one wicket and jumps around like a retard when he does get it.
A showman and nothing more.

My favourite bowler of all time was McGrath. So consistent and controlled. That's how it's done!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #43
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

vs SA, I don't know if he was carrying an injury into the series or not but sure, it wasn't a good series for him.
whilst in india he got giardia (sp). anyone that knows this illness will know that it takes a lot out of you. he was still not at his best against RSA.

one area that no one has given credit to is the opposition. RSA are having a real purple patch at the moment and both them and india have really stepped it up a knotch.

i don't have too many issues with aussie cricket at the moment. that includes debuting more mature players. blooding young players is just a tradition and is not garaunteed of success. quite often in the aussie past, young players have failed and been dropped and them re selected a few years later. older players are comfortable with their game and cope a lot better on the big stage.

one area that has dissappeared is the australia A concept. this should be brought back to nuture any potential talent.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #44
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
THe greatest thing to happen to cricket is Australia's demise as THE superpower of the game.
Three World Cups in a row, number one test team for bloody ages. Every ruler dies, every politician lies, every sporting team (except world football) goes up and down.

We can't complain. At least now, the matches will be more interesting.
Yawn, how boring to just turn up to a match and win. Wow...exciting.

Essendon were also never unbeatable in the 1990s - they won one premiership (should have been two though), and Sheedy conceded they were lucky to do so that year.

And with regards to Lee, I think he's terrible, pre or post McGrath and Warne.
He gets one wicket and jumps around like a retard when he does get it.
A showman and nothing more.

My favourite bowler of all time was McGrath. So consistent and controlled. That's how it's done!
Exactly. Half the reason he's been kept in the team...........
Old 29-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #45
Corzza

It will be a real challenge for the Aussies over in South Africa. The pitches are going to reletively quick. So the openers for the aussies are going to have to get good startes and keep it going through the order to post some big scores or else the South Africans are going to find it fairly easy to chase down anything around the 280 mark.

Its been a long time coming for the South africans. They got flogged 5-0 vs England in the 1 dayers back in September 2008

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #46
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i am not sure that we are in so much trouble - we need to work for sure. but as i posted earlier: except for one tour, we could never beat india in india anyway (even with pidgeon and warnie), the south africans were due to beat us - in my opinion, they have been better at times but could not beat us which gave us more space in the rankings. they chased down 438 the other year and we went undefeated in the world cup not long after. the new zealanders smashed us in the one dayer last time and we went undeafted in the world cup not long after

maybe we are not doing too bad. we have only been beated by the no. 1 & 2 (us excluded) teams in the world, so if in our darkest hour we are still around 3 or 4, that is not too bad. it is a platform to build on

i still think we need bowlers though
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #47
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
one area that no one has given credit to is the opposition. RSA are having a real purple patch at the moment and both them and india have really stepped it up a knotch.

one area that has dissappeared is the australia A concept. this should be brought back to nuture any potential talent.
True. SA certainly deserved the win and it will be an interesting away series. It is tough as a supporter to have your team conquer the world for so long to have 2 series losses on the trot and likely to line up for a 3rd - but you've got to take the wins with the losses. It'll be interesting to see if the academy is grooming new talent to put us ahead of the curve again.

I also felt the A concept was a good one as well and don't understand why they didn't field an A side for the ODI series (even though I think very little of limited overs cricket). The only reasoning I can think of is time constraints.
Old 29-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #48
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i am not sure that we are in so much trouble - we need to work for sure. but as i posted earlier: except for one tour, we could never beat india in india anyway (even with pidgeon and warnie), the south africans were due to beat us - in my opinion, they have been better at times but could not beat us which gave us more space in the rankings. they chased down 438 the other year and we went undefeated in the world cup not long after. the new zealanders smashed us in the one dayer last time and we went undeafted in the world cup not long after

maybe we are not doing too bad. we have only been beated by the no. 1 & 2 (us excluded) teams in the world, so if in our darkest hour we are still around 3 or 4, that is not too bad. it is a platform to build on

i still think we need bowlers though
i agree. its the media that like to paint the picture that australian cricket is over. like you say, we've only ever won one tour in india in 03 or 04 or something, with gilly captaining one of the tests IIRC. as great as s.waugh was and with the team he had, he never got the job done. suddenly losing to india in india means we are in major trouble.

we've been beaten by RSA 2-1 in a home series. at no stage throughout the series did we have our best team on the park. even still, every game australia were in very strong positions but couldn't capitalise. the 2-1 scoreline in no way tells the true story. all 3 tests went 5 days with 2 or 3 results still possible late in the 5th day. i for one really enjoyed the series.

i also am positive that our tour of RSA will be a good one, provided lee, johnson, clark and watson are all fit and ready to go.

not sure whats happened to p.jaques but he needs to be there also.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #49
BZINGA