Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #31
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Thats's certainly a worrying trend away from large passenger Ford and Holden. Will it be all that long before they start sticking wheezy V6's in them and go for front wheel drive to try and reduce fuel consumption?

I'll definitely miss the roominess of mine now I've opted for a smaller car...
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #32
loltastic
Banned

What about Mitsubishi sales? Interesting to see how the new Lancer is going.... I know they're still having massive supply issues, and already a 2 year wait in Japan for EVO X!
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #33
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp

Ford lost a sale. Just didn't want to budge on any sort of deal. Trading in an XR8 and the best I could get was 12k (I hate trying to sell privately, such a pain in the kyber dealing with tyre kickers). Was looking at the XR5T Focus so trade compounded with the fact that it didn't have cruise control was a killer for me.
Well done on the purchase, nice car those R32's are.
Your offer from the Ford dealers was total BS.
A friend of mine traded in his XT BA and got 12k for it in Nov/Dec last year, no cruise and I think he had only front power windows. It was a pretty basic car but he did look after it.
I think some Ford dealers are going to be hurting soon.
They should be trying to do themselves and their customers favours, remember word of mouth is your best and worst marketing.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #34
RATT
In a Pug..

Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi 380 702
Mitsubishi Colt 342
Mitsubishi Colt Cabriolet 15
Mitsubishi Express 366
Mitsubishi Grandis 44
Mitsubishi Lancer 1,902
Mitsubishi Outlander 818
Mitsubishi Pajero 572
Mitsubishi Triton 4X2 514
Mitsubishi Triton 4X4 908
TOTAL 6183
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #35
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Signed the dotted line on a car today.

Ford lost a sale. Just didn't want to budge on any sort of deal. Trading in an XR8 and the best I could get was 12k (I hate trying to sell privately, such a pain in the kyber dealing with tyre kickers). Was looking at the XR5T Focus so trade compounded with the fact that it didn't have cruise control was a killer for me.
So we don't all jump to conclusions, what year model, km's etc was your XR8?
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #36
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
So we don't all jump to conclusions, what year model, km's etc was your XR8?
2004 Mk1, 95,000kms. 5spd. Blood Orange. Full service history, trouble free car. Probably the best car I've owned. Only issue I had with it was the aircon flap getting stuck, unfortunately took Ford 2 days to fix.

VW trotted out an assessor - the day before I had snapped the handle on the bonnet release. Dealer principal just asked if I was hiding something under the bonnet, told him no (which I wasn't). Had a cursory look over the car, started her up, gave her a few revs and offered me the price I was looking for.

The Ford salesman I dealt with asked me k's and year and gave me a 'won't get much more than 12k as a trade'.. one of them wouldn't accept an XR8 as a trade since people don't buy V8's anymore and one uhmed and ahhed until I just walked off, clearly uninterested. None of them even saw the car.

I went through the same problem trading an EF Ghia many years ago. First Holden dealer offered double for it than several Ford yards would so I rolled out of a Holden yard driving an SS. The whole here we go again feeling washed over me so off to other car makers I go. Strangely, when I bought the XR8, I was offered $20k for the SS as trade, probably a good $5k over what it was worth, go figure.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #37
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Well done on the purchase, nice car those R32's are.
Your offer from the Ford dealers was total BS.
A friend of mine traded in his XT BA and got 12k for it in Nov/Dec last year, no cruise and I think he had only front power windows. It was a pretty basic car but he did look after it.
I think some Ford dealers are going to be hurting soon.
They should be trying to do themselves and their customers favours, remember word of mouth is your best and worst marketing.
It is an absolute cracker of a car, they didn't have a DSG demo but let me throw a manual around for a bit today. This thing never seems to run out of grip. Unfortunately delivery is end of May. I'd be annoyed if I wasn't driving a V8 though. ;)

Perhaps they're a little gun shy on falling V8 sales (?) I don't know. I would have thought they could have wholesaled the car, offered a fair price and sold another Ford. Couldn't even get one interested enough to offer me a test drive.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #38
HenryV8

So what's the story with Mondeo? It deserves better than 356 sales.
HenryV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford have to be happy with the overall performance of its brand, Most of them are showing good sales, and the falcon only being 1000 off the VE is very promising for the new FG

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #40
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
It is an absolute cracker of a car, they didn't have a DSG demo but let me throw a manual around for a bit today. This thing never seems to run out of grip. Unfortunately delivery is end of May. I'd be annoyed if I wasn't driving a V8 though. ;)

Perhaps they're a little gun shy on falling V8 sales (?) I don't know. I would have thought they could have wholesaled the car, offered a fair price and sold another Ford. Couldn't even get one interested enough to offer me a test drive.
Falling V8 sales????

In 2007 Holden sold more V8's than they have in their entire history!
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #41
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Falling V8 sales????

In 2007 Holden sold more V8's than they have in their entire history!
That's what I was told by a Ford dealer when I was attempting to trade in my XR8, wouldn't accept it as a trade vehicle because people don't buy V8's anymore.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #42
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
That's what I was told by a Ford dealer when I was attempting to trade in my XR8, wouldn't accept it as a trade vehicle because people don't buy V8's anymore.
I don't care if petrol is $2 a litre my next car is a V8.

In fact I have only seen TWO V8's at my local Ford dealer in the past year and a half. The first was a GT and was gone within a week and the new one is a just arrived V8.

It's good to see a V8 in the yard instead of the bland sea of Falcon Wagons and Focuses.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #43
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I don't care if petrol is $2 a litre my next car is a V8.

In fact I have only seen TWO V8's at my local Ford dealer in the past year and a half. The first was a GT and was gone within a week and the new one is a just arrived V8.

It's good to see a V8 in the yard instead of the bland sea of Falcon Wagons and Focuses.
...and I've owned my last, sadly. Final tally 7. In a few months, to be replaced by a V6.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #44
lostdude

I see that subaru is down 20% as ratt said.... must be the ugly impreza
Old 04-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #45
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
I like the Impreza...the hatch at least (is there a sedan? I haven't seen it if there is!).
Each to their own

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #46
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thinking about it, I understand why people like to buy Toyotas in such force...

While people here love cars and see them as more than "just transport", the average Joe looks at certain parameters such as safety, fuel efficiency and reliability (to name a few).
Toyota have a reputation for ticking those boxes, even if the interiors are as comfortable as a church pew and as tasteful as looking at your naked mother in law's mother.

The average person just wants a reliable car and with the focus on fuel efficiency, Toyota have marketed their vehicles accordingly.

Mazda 3 is still selling like hotcakes. The upside is that Ford owns part of Mazda.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 11:42 PM   #47
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I like the Impreza...the hatch at least (is there a sedan? I haven't seen it if there is!).
Each to their own

There is a sedan, but its not as good looking as the Hatch, the new STI hatch looks horn IMO.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #48
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
There is a sedan, but its not as good looking as the Hatch, the new STI hatch looks horn IMO.
the flared guards makes it look borderline ok, but the taillights looks really #@#$, they're after a new market now so i guess the old wrx/sti character is gone too.

some people call it ugly betty
Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #49
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Took one for a test drive last week. Uninspiring interior, awful styling, boring on the road. Habib is going to have to look elsewhere in a few years for his next fart cannon monstrosity.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #50
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not half as ugly as a AU Forte
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM   #51
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Thinking about it, I understand why people like to buy Toyotas in such force...

While people here love cars and see them as more than "just transport", the average Joe looks at certain parameters such as safety, fuel efficiency and reliability (to name a few).
Toyota have a reputation for ticking those boxes, even if the interiors are as comfortable as a church pew and as tasteful as looking at your naked mother in law's mother.

The average person just wants a reliable car and with the focus on fuel efficiency, Toyota have marketed their vehicles accordingly.

Mazda 3 is still selling like hotcakes. The upside is that Ford owns part of Mazda.
People buy Toyota's for several reasons. Here's a couple:

* Good reputation for quality

* Good reputation for customer service generally - Toyota has massive targets for customer service which includes a lot of rewards for those dealers who meet their targets

* The understanding that you wont be made to look a fool when it comes time to trade it in (good resale value)

* 2008 service advantage plan - Exluding Hilux and Prado (though these two are hopefully going to follow this year) where by each service is capped from $120 for hatches/sedans up to $180 for the Landcruiser including oils/filters etc. Even major service which can always be costly is still capped and this is for the first 6 services (first 3 years of ownership - then Toyota would like you to trade up to a new model.)

Perhaps a base model Camry has a fairly average interior, sure I can see your view on that. Though just because you've experienced a Camry, or Aurion interior and you've based your opinion of them on the whole Toyota range I'd say your vision is a little clouded. There's much to like about a lot of Toyota's interiors, especially when you start stepping up a model...
Old 05-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #52
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Not half as ugly as a AU Forte
leave my CAR OUT OF THIS,,,,, she is pretty in my mind......
Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #53
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Commodore sales are shocking!
Not exactly, considering these are sedan sales only, with no wagon on sale until about June.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #54
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Not exactly, considering these are sedan sales only, with no wagon on sale until about June.
do these sales figures include exports?
if they are, does anyone know the figures for whats sold within aus?

thanks.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #55
stevz
Banned

Quote:
do these sales figures include exports?
if they are, does anyone know the figures for whats sold within aus?

thanks.
The figures are for Australian sales only.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #56
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
No actually ..... they are shocking!

Holden hierarchy are very (actually extremely) concerned considering the FG is around the corner. Any movement away from C'dores to FG, and with all other FORD products going to expectations, there will be a switching of the 2 & 3 position! This year?

There are major worries happening at the red centre with a very lack lustre Daewoo collection on offer and a C'dore that was a 'billion dollar' investment not emphatically beating an old BF model!

By all reports Mondeo have exceded expectations and is just keeping in line with supply. Dealers are NOT in a position to discount or offer 'favours' for these models. Pricing is fairly tight.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 05-04-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #57
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
By all reports Mondeo have exceded expectations and is just keeping in line with supply. Dealers are NOT in a position to discount or offer 'favours' for these models. Pricing is fairly tight.
The Mondeo truly is a gem, I'm surprised that supply is meeting demand to be honest. If they had just put a little more go in the performance model, it would have been a serious contender in my recent car purchase. I took a test drive of the Mondeo several months ago but just didn't cut it being heavier than the Focus with the same donk.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #58
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
People buy Toyota's for several reasons. Here's a couple:

* Good reputation for quality

* Good reputation for customer service generally - Toyota has massive targets for customer service which includes a lot of rewards for those dealers who meet their targets

* The understanding that you wont be made to look a fool when it comes time to trade it in (good resale value)

* 2008 service advantage plan - Exluding Hilux and Prado (though these two are hopefully going to follow this year) where by each service is capped from $120 for hatches/sedans up to $180 for the Landcruiser including oils/filters etc. Even major service which can always be costly is still capped and this is for the first 6 services (first 3 years of ownership - then Toyota would like you to trade up to a new model.)

Perhaps a base model Camry has a fairly average interior, sure I can see your view on that. Though just because you've experienced a Camry, or Aurion interior and you've based your opinion of them on the whole Toyota range I'd say your vision is a little clouded. There's much to like about a lot of Toyota's interiors, especially when you start stepping up a model...
So which Toyota dealer do you work for?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #59
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
So which Toyota dealer do you work for?
Four years ago all of my motor vehicles (7) were falcon/fairmont/FPV.
They cost a fortune in maintenance and fuel and were constantly not available due to problems.

Currently I have 3 toyotas, 1 nissan, 1 hyundai and 1 FPV.

I have never had a warranty claim in 3 years on any of the toyotas or the nissan, one on the hyundai and 40 gazillion lots on the GT-P then F6.

All the cars bar the FPVs are driven by my staff and are treated as most "other peoples/rental" cars i.e. with very little care, my FPVs are warmed up before driving, only used the best petrol and tyres, are detailed regularly and maintained by a FPV workshop.

My new car will be the first non Ford I have bought since 1988 and other than the junk I had when I was a kid (kingswoods, monaros etc), one of two since 1979.....

I really like my FPVs but they really are show ponies and if you drive them a LOT (190,000km in 4 years) they tend to have a lot of problems and I cannot afford to waste time driving rentals and courtesy cars for the umpteenth time while my "Police car without a siren" is having a rest.

To me reliablilty and performance are FAR more important than bling, stripes, badges and nice note.

Interestingly enough two of my friends have a Holden and a HSV. They have had as many issues as me with their cars and are looking to see how I go.
Conversley my brother has 297,000 km on his BMW he bought with 248,000. He has never even taken it to a workshop, it just runs.

I wonder if others are seeing problems with falcon/commodore and doing what I am doing, leaving only the true believers/weekend warriors to maintain the marques......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #60
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Four years ago all of my motor vehicles (7) were falcon/fairmont/FPV.
They cost a fortune in maintenance and fuel and were constantly not available due to problems.

Currently I have 3 toyotas, 1 nissan, 1 hyundai and 1 FPV.

I have never had a warranty claim in 3 years on any of the toyotas or the nissan, one on the hyundai and 40 gazillion lots on the GT-P then F6.

All the cars bar the FPVs are driven by my staff and are treated as most "other peoples/rental" cars i.e. with very little care, my FPVs are warmed up before driving, only used the best petrol and tyres, are detailed regularly and maintained by a FPV workshop.

My new car will be the first non Ford I have bought since 1988 and other than the junk I had when I was a kid (kingswoods, monaros etc), one of two since 1979.....

I really like my FPVs but they really are show ponies and if you drive them a LOT (190,000km in 4 years) they tend to have a lot of problems and I cannot afford to waste time driving rentals and courtesy cars for the umpteenth time while my "Police car without a siren" is having a rest.

To me reliablilty and performance are FAR more important than bling, stripes, badges and nice note.

Interestingly enough two of my friends have a Holden and a HSV. They have had as many issues as me with their cars and are looking to see how I go.
Conversley my brother has 297,000 km on his BMW he bought with 248,000. He has never even taken it to a workshop, it just runs.

I wonder if others are seeing problems with falcon/commodore and doing what I am doing, leaving only the true believers/weekend warriors to maintain the marques......
So you work at a Toyota dealer....................

I have had the opposite experience to you. All our work Toyotas have been thirsty and reliable.

We have had 3 Toyota problems in the last MONTH!

1)Slipping clutch and then gearbox commited suicide in Toyota Hilux.
2)Toyota Aurion isn't rainproof-water leak into cabin
3)Toyota Camry failed to start and had to be towed.

Add to that the horrendous fuel economy:
1)14.5L/100 kays for Toyota Camry
2)15.5L/100 kays for Toyota Aurion
3) 300 kays a tank for 2.7L Petrol Hilux

Compare that to 15L/100 kay for Commodore and Falcon and 800-1000 kays a tank for E-Gas Falcon Wagons combined with flawless reliability and I know what I prefer.

Toyota quality is a myth!

You can't tell me the Hilux built in Thailand is any better built than the Courier built next door!

Heres a good article on the subject:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toy...ty-is-job-one/