Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #31
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Channel 7's coverage was rubbish, when anything important happened there seemed to be adds going and it would take their silly commentators forever to explain what was missing. In car shots were dreadful and the audio woeful. Channel 10's coverage in previous years was spot on!
Old 13-10-2008, 12:07 AM   #32
gemibabe

yep give it back to TEN!!!
Old 13-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #33
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc007
Yep i forgot to mention that special camera (thermal) one which they never used today!! I agree give it back to 10 then to make it worse i was watching the new (same channel) and they told me the results of the F1 tonight before it has aired on 10
Looks like I'm not the only one that got caught out! I was watching some crap on 7 before and they went to one of their quick news updates and spoiled the F1 for me :ticking:
I have been flat out all weekend and didnt see 1 bit of the race, but Channels 10s used to be pretty good, and from the sounds of it they did a dismal job. Not showing a whole lap from in car? That's a hell of a lot of cutting and editing, what a waste of time. Mute would be an answer but V8s are as much an aural experience as they are a visual.
I agree with LowEFGli, there should be order :
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #34
290v
290v

every time i tried to see the standings on the bottom of the screen you would get to 10th place and it would go off and sick of Kochi's advert every break
Old 13-10-2008, 08:17 AM   #35
XW_GS
Paulie

Go Koch lol nah seriously, it was a crappy telecast which actually forced me to go out and work on the XW, just came in to watch for the last 10 laps.

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #36
BlackLS
yum

The incar footage was broken up due to the way they stream the video back.

I believe they used to have a helicopter that would stream the signals from the car back to control and that was clear as a day around the whole track.

I noticed that the footage dropped out at almost the same spots along the track where its most shielded from the top and bottom of the mountain, like forest elbow, which leads me to believe they are just going car straight to control with no chopper relay.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #37
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The coverage was crap. About the only positive thing was that I didn't once see the usual in depth explanation of how a "Watts Linkage" works.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #38
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Pathetic coverage.... Ended up spending most part of the race with the boss !!!!
Old 13-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #39
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always found the one lap 'in car' a bit boring.
If there is no action on the track do a quick ad break, hey, and if during the break there is action, drop the ad, and replay it later
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #40
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP290
anyone notice the black chopper in the background when the cars where coming down the dipper, it must of flown over that section a couple of dozen times, almost looked like something off a james bond flick.
Yer you can pay for 'copter rides over the mountain during the race etc
Old 13-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #41
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all i did was set hd recorder and let it get 3 hrs in front and then watch it ad free..it was an absolute blessing when the safety car was out there..
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #42
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Hell I thought in between all the commercials the racing was starting to take a NASCAR flavour with all the ads on the screen when the cars were going around and the Ricky Bobby portrayal of the drivers (best air guitar, come on!!) . An absolute stuff up of an iconic race...IMO
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #43
spatel
Falcon Fan!

Default NZ Coverage

Dunno bout you guys, but over here in NZ TV3 those clowns (showing it live) decided to put 5 minutes worth of news headlines 30 laps towards the end!!!!!!!! Ridiculous!

Other than that, yeah commentary were talking too much!!
Miss in car lap too!
spatel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #44
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i didn't think it was that great, with the in-cars dropping all the time, and the sheer number of ads.

Went through the copy of the telecast. Total length was 10hr 30min.

Removal of ads left 7hr 42min of actual coverage.
Old 13-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura888
Haha,would not surprise me...Actually i'm glad they went to ad's,otherwise we would have had to listen to crompton showing us the watts linkage on a c.a.d screen and what sought of fuel usage they were getting
I disagree, i actually like getting an in ie HARROP CAD and fuel usage stuff. Gets you more involved in whats goin on
Old 13-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #46
Sprint347
Tickford

The Harrop CAD, display 'cutaway engine' and infrared camera parts were good

Didn't like the 'nascar style' graphics and lack of in-car camera... and no 'tyre cam' this year :hs:
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #47
exactly

Thumbs up

yes one word for coverage
race boring
so the coverage made the race boring the only good thing was now its 3 in a row for 888
exactly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #48
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290v
every time i tried to see the standings on the bottom of the screen you would get to 10th place and it would go off and sick of Kochi's advert every break
yeah, and the format was very hard to follow of who had pitted and who hadnt, spent half the race trying to figure out if someone was in position or if they had to pit

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #49
stingers1
Starter Motor

Channel 7 has been copping an absolute battering lately,mainly from the viewers. If you look on their message boards on yahoo7 you'll notice how disgruntled a lot of viewers have been about the way they are showing programs, sound issues, and their 'false advertising' of some programs.

I for one am a bit ****ed of because of the fact they advertise 7HD as have Dolby digital surround sound but whenever THOSE programs come on (heroes is a good example) it only comes up as 2 channels on my Yamaha 7.1 surround sound receiver. I mean even the V8's had been advertised on the channel info as being DD but it only came through as 2.1 surround sound. At least 9 and the ABC show true DD on their HD channels.
stingers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #50
trburnard
Landau: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
I disagree, i actually like getting an in ie HARROP CAD and fuel usage stuff. Gets you more involved in whats goin on
yeah, agreed, except, they've shown the watts linkage stuff before. Tell us and show us something they havent told us before and we'ld be happier.

Unfortunately, the Australia Channel overseas doesnt show anything of Bathurst. Thats right, nothing! except for 30 seconds on the news broadcast. You would think the Australia Channel would broadcast something even if it was the first and last hour. As I've said in a previous post though at least they had some re runs of in the line of fire and All Saints....that was good :(

1973 Landau (Original 22000 mile survivor)
trburnard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #51
MarkIV

At least they didn't have those stupid "hourly updates" that used to take 5 minutes or more and meanwhile they would miss more action!
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #52
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They did have a few of those throughout the day.

Watching the live timing from the V8SC website made it much easier to follow what times people were doing and where in the pit windows they were.

Also showed Ch7 being a bit slow catching onto things, for example I saw Besnard doing laps 4-5 secs slower than anyone about 5 laps before they said anything about it.
Old 13-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #53
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Hey don't get me wrong,i like the harrop CAD aswell...It's the way crompton explain's the watt's link every race haha...Atleast he was a experienced driver and a good commentator that is respected by all the teams and driver's down pit lane..Very informative to say the least.
futura888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #54
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Having edited my recorded coverage last night I find that for the 6 hours 36 mins of actual race time (including the Fuso grid and the results page) it edited down to 4 hours 59 mins which means that 24.9 % of the coverage was advertising. That's more than the worst excesses of Ch10.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #55
fpvgtp

The worst coverage for a number of years. With the technology now available there was nothing new or even as good as previous years. In car cameras were very poor and if this the best they can do pity help us. Perhaps we should call it "AFL" or "Cricket".
fpvgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Having edited my recorded coverage last night I find that for the 6 hours 36 mins of actual race time (including the Fuso grid and the results page) it edited down to 4 hours 59 mins which means that 24.9 % of the coverage was advertising. That's more than the worst excesses of Ch10.

Cheers
Russ
Wouldn't suprise me at all, the amount of ads they put in both V8SC and the football is a freakin joke.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #57
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I think Channel 7 has the midas touch...
everything they touch turns to sh!te...

I actually dread watching the footy when they cover it, the only thing that makes it watchable is Dennis Cometti...

And as for Bathurst, it was very dissapointing... give it back to 10... the true free-to-air sports channel...

There was just something missing this year, no passion or depth...

On the positive side....12 months to go.... can they do 4 in a row??? wonder how the FG will go??? Hmmm...
**PONDERING***
Old 13-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #58
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

You know, the in car camera work, with dropouts was crapola big time.

See, these TV stations and Avesco know the issues with the Mountain relating to the telecast, but still can't understand why they can't put proper repeater stations around the circuit.
The in car stuff broke up worse than it did 20 years ago.
Have a look on youtube on old 80's bathurst stuff, it broke up less.

So, to Avesco and Ch7, get it right on i car stuff. If you want to put money into the biggest race of the year, get the telecast of "in car" right.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #59
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Off topic slightly, I used to love how Channel 10 would give us incar for a full lap or maybe more, with NO COMMENTARY at all. Ahhh bliss.
Yeah, I miss that too chief and also that shot of the rear wheel where you see the loads the car cops in corners etc.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #60
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One reason why the dropouts are probably occurring more now is the masses of radio interference that would be going around the place nowdays.

No real excuse for Ch7 but it would explain why it is happening more now when it used to be much better.