Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you have back problems?
Yes 141 82.94%
No 29 17.06%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #31
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

note to self: Dont move - ever.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #32
ch33z1l
Dawn

I'm 23 and have whats commonly known as curvature of the spine, mostly due to bad posture. This condition ultimately led to a rotating pelvis...(one side sits lower than the other). I hear your pain Fev. Embarrassing when you put your back out in those sort of circumstances. 2yrs ago I hyper-extended my knee, and I still have swelling some mornings. I really should have gone to physio.

Anyhow, the relief I found was mostly in chiropractic work, but also in back braces and a product called 'Back on Track'. They make a range of arthritic clothing, including knee braces, back braces, singlets and T-shirts which provide a little bit of strength back there.
Also, as someone said, a good postropaedic? mattress AND postropaedic pillow are a must. You can find these at most chiropractic centres.

It's possible i may have inherited something from my parents. Mum was born with an extra vertebrae which eventuates in the 2 rubbing together...similar to how tectonic plates cause earthquakes.

Hope u find some relief.

Try this site..

http://www.backontrack.com.au/

Last edited by ch33z1l; 12-02-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: info to add
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #33
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont know how my back shat itself - i can think of a few things which helped along the way (school/drunk/10feet high ledge = bad combination) but nothing i ever seriously did.. i use to mountain bike and from that i've still got strong legs but no one else in my family has these problems and theres nothin i can think of which started it..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #34
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0099
That photo is a pretty major case of scoliosis im 22 and have had scoliosis since i was in mid high school i used to be able to put up with the pain until last year when i started a job that was a bit more physical and it made me ache all day everyday so i ended up having to leave that job even though i loved it so now im just a boring old truck driver the back still gives me grief in the mornings bit like it has arthritis in the mornings but settles down come bed time ill chuck in an xray of mine
this is another cool xray even though its not back just thought i would throw it in

I might start a new thread, in "showNshine". Show us your X-RAYS!!!!!
could be interesting...........................
Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #35
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

My back has it's on and off days. I'm 21.

I put it down to when I worked at bunning's and I was forever lifting heavy items by myself without a back brace. Using the correct technique too. I guess lifting tonnes of pool salt and cement bags took it's toll.

I also have a lot of joint problems from when I used to ride downhill mountain bikes.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #36
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 20 (21 in October) and I suffer on and off which I put down to being really tall (6'8") and a couple of mountain bike accidents I've had. Walking around all day at work and bending down alot make it worse. Funnily enough I get worse back pain driving my car long distance than riding my bike. I also have on and off days with my left knee which I tore the ligament in one of the accidents I had - it was 5 years ago this happened and it still gives me greif on and off.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #37
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I have 2 torn discs in my lower back, I have pain 24/7 but have just learnt to live with it rather than keep taking painkillers. Im 31 and had a work accident a year ago, cant do anything that I used too, I constantly live in fear of anything remotely physical that I will make it worse. Just changing a flat tyre my back gives me alot of grief for a few days. Have had to take a different role at work and will never be able to go back to the one I used to do. Oh and my nearly 6yo son misses out on alot of stuff I used to be able to do with him, out of all of it he is probably the biggest loser, I cant even hack kicking a footy with him.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #38
zigzagnt

I was born with spina bifida (so am in a wheelchair) They tell my my spinal cords tethered now too (common apparently with sb).
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #39
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

i'm 18 and have had next to no back problems, fingers crossed i wont any time soon..
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #40
zigzagnt

I forgot to mention before I'm 22
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #41
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

Working as a paramedic our job can be about moving alot of FAT people. Yes thats right, the type of person who blames their obesity on everyone but themselves. I have hurt my back and the one thing that works is pilates. :

Dont laugh here fella's, it has saved me many times now as it builds up your core strength which you need when lifting and teaches you how to breathe whilst lifting. Try it out, it takes a while to get core strength but is worth it.

Oh and the instructors are :
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #42
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

i'm 26, and since i was 18 i have had a cracked disc, bulging disc and an eroded disc. All in the lowest discs in my spine.

A day doesn't go buy when i feel a dull ache or small twinge
Old 12-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #43
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

40.........bad back since 18 or so when I was lifting free weights without proper back support. Back went bang one day during a Gym session and has never been the same again. Some days its painful all day and the accompanying stiffness makes it a &^%* to get even the simplest of daily tasks done without muttering all sorts of expletives in English and other made up languages.....

Anti inflammatories and FISH oil help..............so does keeping active.
I find If i'm sedentary for too long.........it gets worse.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #44
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

I had a disc rupture in my lower back, it crushed my spinal cord. I lost the use of my legs amongst other issues. 3 months in hospital and 18 months learning to walk again.

4 years later, another operation to fuse the 2 vertabrae together. This time just a back brace for 6 months.

I'll never be 100%, but at least I can get about ok. Some bad nerve pain from time to time, but hell, there are plenty of people worse off than me.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #45
escapin

im glad u started this topic hear i was thinking i was the only one that had these sorta symptoms stated here.

i know what u mean esp if i have a day doing nothing i feeel much worse that what i feel if i go and do a real hard day at work.
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #46
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
im 20, last July i had 4 screws and 2 rods screwed into my lower spine (S5/L1) to support the disc which collapsed/degenerated/something something.

Also - reallllly dont reccoment going to chiropractors.. they are evil plain and simple.
Bit of a nasty comment for a 20 year old Fev....I am a medical student, but i worked for 12 years as a Chiropractor, and my wife still is one. When you have done the 5 years full time study to become qualified as a Chiropractor then maybe you could comment with a greater wisdom.

As to the topic - around 85% of us will experience back pain over a lifetime, so the poll will be very 1 sided.

Interestingly (from a physiotherapist friend), physiotherapists experience higher rates of low back pain than the general population. He thought it was a pretty funny stat, and he thought about it every time he delivered a talk to the public about low back care and preventing back pain.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #47
JetBlack351
Hear me rumble......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
For real?
yeah i couldnt do it now though I'd topple over lol was hard yakka lol
Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #48
Marduk
BFII XR6

My lower back is fine but I have a dodgy knee that plays up and both my shoulders do not stop cracking ever so that's probably not a good sign. I'm 18.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #49
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN 351
Working as a paramedic our job can be about moving alot of FAT people. Yes thats right, the type of person who blames their obesity on everyone but themselves. I have hurt my back and the one thing that works is pilates. :

Dont laugh here fella's, it has saved me many times now as it builds up your core strength which you need when lifting and teaches you how to breathe whilst lifting. Try it out, it takes a while to get core strength but is worth it.

Oh and the instructors are :

Yoga is also good or taichi I have herniated a few disks in the lower back no problems now but some problems up the top verterbrae from when I got hit by a bita steel bar on thetop of the head neck used to seize up and couldnt move it to the left or right could only look straight ahead
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #50
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

My back is starting to feel real good after reading some of these posts ................
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #51
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did have a back problem.
Almost had me in a chair for life.
Completely destroyed my L5 S1

I had a disc replacement (Op done on the gold coast) by Dr. Mathew Scott-Young

I have the Charite replacement disc in my back and it fixed the problem 100%
To go from agonizing pain to pain free was well worth the 20k price tag.

Looks great on X-rays :

graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #52
JetBlack351
Hear me rumble......

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h

Looks great on X-rays :

that is absolutely amazing and congrats on the operation going through with flying colours and results
:
Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #53
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #54
EF GHIA
Starter Motor

Im 40 and put my back pain down to 18years tyre fitting and 7years manual laborour. After a while it's just part of life or getting older and the body wearing out.
EF GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #55
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

37, lower back pain, nothing serious but it is there. But from time to time, I'll do sometging that flares it up then it is off to the sports physio.

Issue ue to a few factors, lack of exercise, and sittiung at a desk allday on a computer - which is the worst thing for you neck and back. Have had back troubles for about the last 5 years.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #56
red_hotxr6
Banned

I found i had some after all my pregnancies but the doctor said it was due to all the excess around my middle, as soon as that was gone my back problem/s disappeared..
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #57
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
I found i had some after all my pregnancies but the doctor said it was due to all the excess around my middle, as soon as that was gone my back problem/s disappeared..

Hmm... maybe that is my problem too. Carrying a bit extra around the middle of late.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #58
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Me too... Long pregnancy... Lol..

I have more shoulder / neck issues .. Due to being electrocuted between the hands.. Pulled all vertebrae in neck .. paying for it now!!
Doesn't get better as you get older !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #59
Nivicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Issue ue to a few factors, lack of exercise, and sittiung at a desk allday on a computer - which is the worst thing for you neck and back. Have had back troubles for about the last 5 years.
yeh one of the worst things to do with mild back pain is resting, you need to get moving, streching and exercising your back through keeping up and about.

helped me. havnt had it for about 5 months since twisting and hurting my back while pushing trolleys at work. first off rested in bed and then saw something on tv a couple of weeks later after on and off days and then i was fine
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #60
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h

Looks great on X-rays :

When I was 18 I ruptured L4/L5 disc (mechanic you see...well; back then anyway) and had a fusion with bolts and plates with bone mix...and 17 years since of sciatica and general pain.

About 9 months ago the disc directly below (L5/S1) has now popped and I need a fusion on that one too. When it went the protrusion was pressing the sciatic nerve against the pelvic bone constantly so I had to have keyhole surgery to relieve that first while insurance company decides whether $25K is worth fixing my back for...game of attrition now.

Mind you I was running carrying a lot of equipment which may have weighed about 20kg or so.

This Charite disc looks the goods. I might have to ask my Sturgeon : if this is what he will be using...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post