Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #31
GUTLES
Adam.

Yeah ya really gotta say something sometimes, I've been in some quick cars with some really good drivers (Steven Richards, Jason Bargwanna & a few mates who know there limits)... & I've also been in some quick cars with not so good drivers.

At our work break up last year myself, two other work mates & my boss organised to get picked up from work & head up to the pub with one of our apprentices who decided he was driving.

We all got in this mid-late 90's Lancer Evo, not sure exactly what model, not my cup of tea, we're heading up this real bumpy road doing 130 in an 80km zone & it felt like we we're drifting all over the joint with my boss egging him on, I spoke up & told him to back off a bit, as soon as I did my other two workmates agreed'd with me with my boss still being a tool.. He offered us a lift home & I told him I'd never get in a car if he was driving ever again..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #32
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I have always been a bad and nervous passenger. Even hated being dunk on the back of a pushy when I was younger. Got T-boned by a Valiant years ago. Was sitting behind the driver in a Torana. He was ginning around with the radio cassete and drove straight thru a give way sign. Valiant smashed into front drivers guard. Another second and the driver and yours truly would be pushing up daisy's.........
Old 28-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #33
rodderz

For obvious reasons on the road is different (ie bloody dangerous), but when we were younger (probably 7-8 or so) we had a paddock bomb, an old 71' Corolla. When you were driving in the paddock, you felt in control, but in the passenger seat with one of my brothers going just as quick, was pretty nerve racking. It's because most of the time you don't know what they are going to do and you aren't in control.

I envy those rally co-drivers, that would take some guts.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #34
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Yes,I have often thought that the co-drivers are crazy.....
Old 28-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #35
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
My brother is a shocker I won't go anywhere with him driving it is just dumb luck he has not had a major yet. When I bought the FPV (He loves his fords) I did something very unusual and offered him a drive never again the car is quick but he undertook a 5 series beemer on a freeway entry ramp WTF something I could not ever consider doing we were flying, That was in a new $60k car that was not his. Some people are dangerous and should not be on the road at all. I am lucky I tend to drive myself rather than passenger it.

Reminds me of the time I gave my mate a drive of my XR6 when I first got it (The same mate I wrote about in an earlier post saying how I won't get in a car with him). Just bought my XR6, had pretty much just turned 19 at the time, as you can imagine, I felt like I had purchased a lambo being 19, I was immensly proud.

Gave my mate a drive, and I was literelly yelling at him to slow down, he didn't listen, and this was in suburb backstreets, 50kph limit. He was putting the car in first and taking it to 90, etc etc.
When we stopped, I got out of the car, snatched the keys, shook my head and drove off.

As I said in an earlier post, it all comes down to the individual.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #36
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

some mate..................
Old 28-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #37
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wiggle your little finger at them....
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #38
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why I dont like to do tunes for people that come to my house, at least I learned some time ago to say no I'll be right, you do the test drive yourself. One too many trips North of 180 in a VN doesn't do your heart any good
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #39
Homes
Falcon Loving Hermit

i've had many long walks after exiting car of speeding mate...i have no problem telling a crazy driver to calm down.

My father is one i get nervous riding shotgun with...and i can't chastize him about his driving...just don't feel right : he's fine on open road, back road, wet road, dirt road, at speed - but he scares me in traffic.
every 3 or 4 stops in city traffic he's hard on the brakes because he didn't notice the car in front stopping...you know how when you as a front passenger push your own feet into the floor like you had a brake pedal - that is constant for me
Old 28-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #40
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If i dont feel safe i let the person driving no, either by saying what the hell are you doing, or in extreme case, WTF are you playing at!!
Old 28-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #41
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll do myself a favor and not get into the car with certain mates, because I know once I'm in, nothing is going to stop them besides that tree. One of them made 60 minutes for his dangerous driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I got a client whos got some high end cars.. BMW M3, F6X / Tornado.. I get nervous when i get in with him... very nervous...

Me personally, i just putt around with other people in the car, i have no need to prove a point to them and make them feel unsafe.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #43
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Well i think it really depends it comes down to how well you know them.

Say if your girlfriend is really nice and listens to everything and takes everything you say in to consideration (hyperthetically, lol), without her yelling straight back at you and ignoring you for the rest of the trip, maybe say 'hey your a pretty good driver, but i don't think the way your driving at the moment really suits the conditions, its easy to misinterpret conditions, but maybe tailgating the car less infront of you at high speeds in the wet really isnt the best idea, because i don't want you to hurt yourself and end up in that big tree on that next corner'.

Or to your mate

'You know you'd impress me more if you slowed down, because the feeling of being alive is a better feeling than feeling that powerpole ahead of us next to my mouth, *awkwardly laughing*'.
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #44
red_hotxr6
Banned

Tell him/her you need some chewing gum could they pull over. Then with you out of the car carefully explain the situation and ask them to drive properly, or you are catching a bus/taxi or walking... :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #45
Homes
Falcon Loving Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Tell him/her you need some chewing gum could they pull over. Then with you out of the car carefully explain the situation and ask them to drive properly, or you are catching a bus/taxi or walking... :
yeah...that's my way - that way you're already stopped if they have a problem with you
Old 29-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #46
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
For obvious reasons on the road is different (ie bloody dangerous), but when we were younger (probably 7-8 or so) we had a paddock bomb, an old 71' Corolla. When you were driving in the paddock, you felt in control, but in the passenger seat with one of my brothers going just as quick, was pretty nerve racking. It's because most of the time you don't know what they are going to do and you aren't in control.

I envy those rally co-drivers, that would take some guts.
But the difference there is that the person in control of the car can actually drive.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #47
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I've got no hesitation telling people to stop driving like a twit. I'm an extremely nervous passenger though. One mate in particular (he's a forums member, God bless him) scares me witless - particularly bearing down on stopped traffic at 70kph (generally while talking/looking at me) then slamming on the anchors. Obviously he knows the car's stopping distance, but I friggen don't. Get me every time.

You know who you are.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #48
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If someone is driving like an idiot when I'm a passenger I will tell them so however that is not very often. You're a bigger wuss for not telling them than you're if you do IMO.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #49
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
I've got no hesitation telling people to stop driving like a twit. I'm an extremely nervous passenger though. One mate in particular (he's a forums member, God bless him) scares me witless - particularly bearing down on stopped traffic at 70kph (generally while talking/looking at me) then slamming on the anchors. Obviously he knows the car's stopping distance, but I friggen don't. Get me every time.

You know who you are.
You sure picked the wrong car to be in on a certain wedding day though.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #50
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
You sure picked the wrong car to be in on a certain wedding day though.
Peuty's Limousines: We'll get you to the chapel on time. Backwards. Through a hedge.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #51
GREGXR8
SHOCKWAVE MK11 BA XR8

mrs has got to be the worst driver i know. scares me everytime i get in the car with her. she seems to pay attention to everything but what she's doing. i just tell her now i'm driving cos you cant. was in the back seat of a laser years ago with a mates so called mate driving. was driving like an idiot down stud rd, when he passed a car in the gravel i told him if he crashed with me in it he better hope the crash killed him because i would. its morons like him that kill innocent people and walk away!
Old 30-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #52
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
We all feel in best when we are behind the wheel driving, but what are you like when you are a passenger, and the driver is making you uncomfortable, you feel in danger. They may be tailgating at high speed, not watching the road, changing lanes dangerously, etc. this person may be your best mate, workmate, wife, g/friend, relative etc. Do you keep your mouth shut and hold on tight, or do you say something?
yea like others said.. demand them to pull their head in and slow down.. otherwise just get out of the car.. i have done it before.. i'd rather walk than get the kaka scared outa me from a moron...
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #53
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
We all feel in best when we are behind the wheel driving, but what are you like when you are a passenger, and the driver is making you uncomfortable, you feel in danger. They may be tailgating at high speed, not watching the road, changing lanes dangerously, etc. this person may be your best mate, workmate, wife, g/friend, relative etc. Do you keep your mouth shut and hold on tight, or do you say something?
I am so glad you've bought this topic up because I'm tired of being dismissed when I tell someone I'm uncomfortable with the way they're driving. If I don't feel safe, I say it. But rather than be taken seriously or be shown a bit of consideration to what I'm feeling as a passenger, I get yelled at or accused of nagging and so on. No consideration what so ever!

I'm also a bit nervous if I'm on an unfamiliar road or if it's raining. The driver may know the road like the back of their hand but if I don't know it then it makes it worse for me. Drivers need to take passengers concerns seriously. I'd rather be a nagger than be lying in a morgue becaue I didn't speak up.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post