Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #31
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
just because someone indicates to change lanes does not give them right of way to do so. (a lot of old drivers seem to believe that indicating means others must give way to them)
I thought it was the younger drivers who did that. Perhaps age is really irrelevant.

Many drivers put their indicator on when there are cars right next to them, obviously they cant change lanes safely (exceptions are long trucks that need to do this for a good reason). If car drivers did this because they are approaching their turnoff, they should have got into that lane much earlier when they could.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #32
ralphy
Turbo'n Along

this stuff shits me so much....how hard is it to use your blinker...its such a hard effort to push up or down on the indicator....its the worst at roundabouts

2005 BA MKII F6 Typhoon in Shockwave
6 Speed Manual, Brembo's all round

Mods to Come - None LOL
ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #33
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Den, mate, its just a progressive problem. Another is in my signature at the bottom of this post, but maybe its not just QLD. Plus its not long until someone on this forum will state "this thread is just another one of the million other threads complaining about road behaviour" or or the standard issue: "here we go again.....". in fact suprised that I havent seen it so far, but I'm tired, might have missed it.

Maybe there was a new law that states that: "If one's car (the merger) is more expensive than the second car (the mergee) than the mergers car has right of way & thus does not need to use the indicator as supplied by the vehicle manufacturer.". Cause it used to be just the BMW's Volvos etc... & it has now been changed to if the merger wants to merge, merge. Thats why I'm always on my bosses case when I'm in the car with him. Usually I just shut up, I dont like a backseat/sideseat driver & for that reason i dont do it myself. However I clearly tell my boss that the indicator is there to say 'I want to go here' Not 'Im here now'.

Unfortunately its just something else we have to take into account when driving, along with people tailgating, pulling out from a merging lane/intersection infront of you that THEY are meant to give way on, you have to pull an evasive manuvoure or emergency brake to avoid a collision, you show your appreciation of their actions via your horn, then the give YOU the finger. I honestly think there has been a common practice in families of dropping kids on theyre head when they are 5 months old. Cause its showing.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 22-04-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #34
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Not indicating, (or not indicating correctly or at all - at slip lanes) is all quite deliberate, such as other actions,- like pulling out in front of faster closing traffic on a freeway; where the person knows they'll impede the other traffic.

Not or rarely indicating on a journey- is a particular action that people know angers or annoys others, and I expect its done a means of 'getting back' at society, for the persons perceived ills of the place. Such folk are just cynical, perhaps we can blame the nanny state and the perception the country is being taken for a ride, by some.

Said somewhere that "driving poorly is a national pastime in Australia", people simply don't give a frig anymore, they are angry - for many reasons, and really, is there much point in driving to a German standard in Australia?

It doesn't concern me so much (the poor on road behavior) anymore, and I still stop and attend crashes and whatnot, so haven't totally given up on people:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #35
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I know its hard but dont let the inconsiderate jerks and hopeless air heads get to you.

Sometimes its a warzone out there and you have to stick the elbows out, but for the most part you have to take a mature approach to driving and try to be as considerate as possible, or risk becoming part of the problem.

Know the road rules, your car, and your level of ability and *always* watch other drivers like a hawk. Ive lost count of the times Ive avoided accidents thanks to keeping an eye out for the gamblers and daydreamers.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #36
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

try driveing a truck, us truckies get cut off by cars, the worst is when they cut in front of us when we are pulling up to traffic lights. 22+tons cant stop as quick as car

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #37
ralphy
Turbo'n Along

Guy i work with used to be a truckdriver and he said its happened way too often people pulling in front of him when coming to a red light....its kinda common sense, u can see a heavily loaded truck, wouldnt it kinda click in your brain that its really not going to be able to pull up all that quick

Mods to Come - None LOL
Old 23-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #38
Autolite

Mill Park /Thomastown is the capital of the no indicating brigade.I had this done to me twice by the same car (P Plater) on a stretch of Cooper St. I managed to pull up next to him further up the road and proceded to give the pimply faced f@ck an ear full. I still dont think he understood how frustrating it is.
Autolite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphy
Guy i work with used to be a truckdriver and he said its happened way too often people pulling in front of him when coming to a red light....its kinda common sense, u can see a heavily loaded truck, wouldnt it kinda click in your brain that its really not going to be able to pull up all that quick
These tools think they will get to their destination quicker!

Nothing 'clicks' when there is no brain!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #40
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

One of these days I'm going to geek up and get one of those LED scrolling message displays from Jaycar in my back window, with some preset, selectable messages. Some ideas might be:

Danger, too close!
Keep left - it's law.
Not psychic - please indicate.

You could easily be provocative - and I'm sure some suggestions will be forthcoming - but if you really did it you'd want to keep it polite I think. Anyone who's been a victim of road rage will understand.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #41
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
One of these days I'm going to geek up and get one of those LED scrolling message displays from Jaycar in my back window, with some preset, selectable messages. Some ideas might be:

Danger, too close!
Keep left - it's law.
Not psychic - please indicate.

You could easily be provocative - and I'm sure some suggestions will be forthcoming - but if you really did it you'd want to keep it polite I think. Anyone who's been a victim of road rage will understand.
You're giving some of them too much credit - you're assuming they can read
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #42
1streetmachine1

i usualy encounter the one flash hero in mild traffic when the said hero cuts me off going into my lane, after me leaving just over a car length bewtween me and the car infront
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Conversly there is also the "indicate everything even though it does not make any sense" brigade whose speciality is roundabouts.

Why do these idiots indicate left when entering a roundabout when their intention is to go straight ahead or turn right?

When entering a roundabout you can only go one way, that is turn ONTO the roundabout. You are supposed to indicate that you are LEAVING the roundabout although with the plethora of "micro-roundabouts" that have appeared you can enter and exit before the indicator has actually blinked.

The other classic is "I have indicated that I am changing lane so you HAVE to give way to me and I can legally cut you off" moron.

Indicators INDICATE what you intend to do to other drivers they do NOT give you right of way.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #44
1streetmachine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

The other classic is "I have indicated that I am changing lane so you HAVE to give way to me and I can legally cut you off" moron.

Indicators INDICATE what you intend to do to other drivers they do NOT give you right of way.
please tell this to 99% of drivers i encounter on a daily basis
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #45
STINKY NINJA
Banned

It all adds up to needing a nice cup of tea.
Hold the anger inside and then go home and beat the neighbours cat :
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #46
GrimmReaper09

Angry Indicators

This is one this that REALLY gets me peeved. One of my pet hates. How hard is it to use ur indicators ffs. It's just selfish, inconsiderate "unprintable" people that don't use indicators and then wonder why they get slammed into by another car or a truck and/or kill someone then blame it on the person that hit them.

If I was a cop, that would be one thing I would be EXTREMELY heavy on. Maximum fine and everything else I could get 'em for. It is SO easy to kill someone just because you couldn't be bothered moving your finger a little and using your indicator. That is the height of laziness.
GrimmReaper09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #47
Kil4Collingwood

The only time I dont use indicators is when moving in front of some moron sitting on 80-90 on a freeway, nice to ******** them off for a change
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #48
ralphy
Turbo'n Along

the worst is when your going up the coast during long weekends and that, i believe the left lane is for people that do not wish to go the speed limit, but they all seem to be in the right lane and middle lane....and there is no cars even in the left lane....so i use that going past them doing the speed limit

Mods to Come - None LOL
Old 23-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #49
regency_red
Starter Motor

Absolutely frustrating - seems common courtesy has gone out of the window. Crap like this, sitting in the right lane, hiding in other drivers' blind spots and failing to indicate when exiting roundabouts have gotten me into FAR more near misses than speeding.

Stop trying to catch drivers doing 5 km/h over the limit and start hitting people for these dangerous driving habits.
regency_red is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #50
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Ive found esspesially of late that people love to tailgate jump que and many other things that could fill this forum for years, I myself believe in the saying inconsideration builds contempt. I have the feeling that a lot of people including people posting on this forum are inconsiderate whatever's and deserve what cames their way. I make no appologies, today alone ive had three encounters with whatevers. If u tailgate the car in front in the next lane, ill pull across no indicator when i need the right lane. If u jump the que, u wont be getting in front of me, ive waited my turn just like every one else. If u pull out on me doing 80 into the fast lane on the highway bring it on. A dented panel is easy to fix, however a stay in hospital is a little more difficult to swallow... It's not hard to drive with consideration, however people don't realise that not all people in the brisbane are mentally stable.
I appologise for any offence stated. A genuine stuff up and we've all had them is a genuine stuff up. But bullcrap is bullcrap. And will be treated as such. Have a nice day everyone. Happy motoring.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
When entering a roundabout you can only go one way, that is turn ONTO the roundabout. You are supposed to indicate that you are LEAVING the roundabout although with the plethora of "micro-roundabouts" that have appeared you can enter and exit before the indicator has actually blinked.
And if you happen to be driving a B-Double either the front or the back is breaking the law.
Old 23-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #52
Scott

Quote:
If you are turning left, you indicate left. If you are turning right, you indicate right. You always indicate to exit a roundabout.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #53
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weren't they renamed confirmators a couple of years ago? i.e used to confirm you have just changed lanes?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #54
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
If you are turning left, you indicate left. If you are turning right, you indicate right. You always indicate to exit a roundabout.
you should indicate left at which ever point you are exiting a roundabout
you indicate left to turn left
you go past the first exit and then indicate left to go straight ahead
you indicate right and once past the second exit, indicate left to turn right
you indicate right and once past the third exit, indicate left to head back in the direction you came from
this is based on a standard 4 way roundabout, but no matter what, you should indicate left just prior to leaving

these are victorian rules though, so may not be applicable to other states
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den76
What is going on?
Why are some motorists not indicating when they are changing lanes? :
Is it because some motorists are being lazy.

Whats happens in a accident scenario who is at fault and how to prove what happened.

Its not hard to flick the indicator on to warn other drives that you are wanting to change lanes especially on a freeway or highway.

Interested in other peoples thoughts.
The other thing I find amusing is when people are overtaking they leave the (right hand) indicator on all the while they are in the outside lane (or wrong side of the road).

WHY?

I asked one driver about this and his answer was "because he was overtaking" I replied that if that was the case he should leave his left blinker on when he wasn't overtaking