Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Will Holden still take a chance with the Volt?

If I understand the process, the orders will be placed, the cars built and delivered to Australia.

A bit like the Caprice PPV in reverse but probably not quite as successful...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #32
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I know you have connections at Holden, maybe you can verify the validity of this statement:

If Volt is $66,000 drive away, don't expect too many orders...
thats ballpark right around 60,000 drive avay assuming no change in oz dollar..
as for dealer network, they have "not" been informed officially... chinese whispers maybe?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
thats ballpark right around 60,000 drive avay assuming no change in oz dollar..
as for dealer network, they have "not" been informed officially... chinese whispers maybe?
Well, if you're right it typical Drive made up story designed to draw out a response from Holden.
and we Ford fans have seen this type of baiting in many a "Falcon is dead" story.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just read a "Snopes" article refuting travel distance claims a motoring writer made about the Chevy Volt in the USA.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/chevyvolt.asp

The important thing for me, reading that article, is the statement that it's "not intended to be driveable for long distances in electric vehicle mode", and that Chev has had to re-state and new estimate of how far it can be driven as an electric clean and green and fluffy little car down to between 25 and 50 miles. After that, it's burning through petrol like anything else on the road...maybe even worse because of the weight.

This backs up my statement that these cars are literally useless and pointless unless they are suitable and useable by everyone, everywhere, unless they are just expensive trendy toys for people nipping down to the coffee shop and not a serious form of transportation.

It's hardly environmentally friendly to have to buy one car for city use, one car for when you go on trips, one car for the family...etc.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #35
Buntz
Straight Eight

Why are people calling this a genius car? Man has been using fossil fuels as generators more efficiently to power electric engines for decades. Recently someone thought... "let's do that in a car, should be better than a hybrid no?"

It's not breakthrough at all. Should have been doing this yonkers ago.
Old 15-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Just read a "Snopes" article refuting travel distance claims a motoring writer made about the Chevy Volt in the USA.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/chevyvolt.asp

The important thing for me, reading that article, is the statement that it's "not intended to be driveable for long distances in electric vehicle mode", and that Chev has had to re-state and new estimate of how far it can be driven as an electric clean and green and fluffy little car down to between 25 and 50 miles. After that, it's burning through petrol like anything else on the road...maybe even worse because of the weight.

This backs up my statement that these cars are literally useless and pointless unless they are suitable and useable by everyone, everywhere, unless they are just expensive trendy toys for people nipping down to the coffee shop and not a serious form of transportation.

It's hardly environmentally friendly to have to buy one car for city use, one car for when you go on trips, one car for the family...etc.
"FOX NEWS"
you beleive murdock?
we report, we decide for you!!

anything credable??
Old 15-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car & Driver are pretty well respected...try them...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...test-road-test
Quote:
This is why GM calls the Volt an “extended-range electric vehicle,” and the dual-power-source arrangement makes a lot of sense at a time when there’s precious little charging infrastructure. Currently, 48 of 50 states have fewer than 10 charging stations, and even California’s relative abundance of 422 pales in comparison to its roughly 10,400 gas stations. In other words, it’s going to be some time before charging while at work or out on the town becomes the norm; for now, EVs’ batteries will be replenished largely at home. And with maximum ranges in the 100-mile neighborhood, good luck with any long- or even moderate-distance travel. And forget about having a pure electric as your only vehicle.
What if your family in California needs you to visit? While a pure EV—needing long recharging sessions every 70 miles or so—will transport you back to the era of the month long road trip, the Volt could easily drive across the country on gas when there’s no time or electricity available for recharging. Closer to home, if this writer had been driving a Leaf instead of a Volt, I would have had to deal a blow of rejection to a five-year-old nephew  whose birthday party was 60 miles distant, due to the lack of a place to charge while there. Do you think he would have understood?
Note, they said yes, you can drive across country on the gasoline engine...what's the point of spending up big to buy a Volt in the first place if you'll be doing a lot of highway travel, as many people do?
You can only sugar-coat something so long...yes, it's undoubtedly a great car, and very useful...in a limited way. That's my point. You don't make money selling severely limited-use cars, unless you're putting your entire business plan on appealing to an equally limited number of city trendsetters...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #38
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Saw a Volt yesterday during my lunchtime walk along Turner St. just up from Holden HQ in Port Melbourne. Couldnt mistake it, had "VOLT" in big letters along the side, was a dark one, and looked quite good actually. Also sounded like an electric car. Sorry, didnt have a camera with me.

So they do have them here on the road presumably for evaluation, however I think the increasing electricity prices will probably have some say in whether we will get them on sale here.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
ray38l

Quote:

Note, they said yes, you can drive across country on the gasoline engine...what's the point of spending up big to buy a Volt in the first place if you'll be doing a lot of highway travel, as many people do?
You can only sugar-coat something so long...yes, it's undoubtedly a great car, and very useful...in a limited way. That's my point. You don't make money selling severely limited-use cars, unless you're putting your entire business plan on appealing to an equally limited number of city trendsetters...
you seem so determined to prove that the technology is crap.
not to long ago gas wasn't available everywhere but people still spent the money converting there car to duel fuel. people still drove the duel fuel cars on long trips sometimes on petrol because they were still saving money when driving around town on gas. the people who can afford the volt will be in the same situation, they will save on fuel when doing the majority of there driving.
I live in a remote mining town so know what its like driving long distances all the time but even I would like 100-150 kilometers a day for practically nothing if I was still paying for fuel.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Business plan? Making money? You clearly dont get it.
Any car company who ignores the electric car market because they cant make money from it right now will be out of business within little more than a decade.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #41
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
you seem so determined to prove that the technology is crap.
not to long ago gas wasn't available everywhere but people still spent the money converting there car to duel fuel. people still drove the duel fuel cars on long trips sometimes on petrol because they were still saving money when driving around town on gas. the people who can afford the volt will be in the same situation, they will save on fuel when doing the majority of there driving.
I live in a remote mining town so know what its like driving long distances all the time but even I would like 100-150 kilometers a day for practically nothing if I was still paying for fuel.
and yet he drives a train useing the very same tech..
developed buy the very same company.
Old 27-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #42
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Yes Holden did take a chance and it failed.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/350518/t...-volt-is-dead/

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #43
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Bit of a threadmine!

But when you can get the Mitsubishi Outlander top of the line Plug in Hybrid for $10k cheaper, and we already know the buying public has an irrational hatred for sedans, then it was always going to be a loser. It needed to be more like $40k.
Old 27-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #44
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
Bit of a threadmine!

But when you can get the Mitsubishi Outlander top of the line Plug in Hybrid for $10k cheaper, and we already know the buying public has an irrational hatred for sedans, then it was always going to be a loser. It needed to be more like $40k.
The question asked sometime ago in this thread has finally been answered. So it is appropriate thread mining.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post