Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #31
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Falcon is saved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I think the Falcon would sell well in the US, if the public could ever get hold of a US version. Big torquey six that'll blow the doors off many things.
I don't share that optimism. It seems the US is quite happy not having cars compromised attacking several markets but instead having individual models concentrating solely on a single target market. Selling well as a US model would be 20-40k sales a month like Fusion, Accord and Camry do and that would never happen. If the next platform for Taurus and Falcon favoured the RWD layout, they might still get 5k sales a month which as an export out of Broadmeadows would be great, but it's never going to happen like that and Falcon won't get a shot in the US so long as current gen Taurus is still there.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #32
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Having similar platforms across the range makes sense and was done in the 60's and 70's anyway. Other manufacturing industries have operated like this for ages.
YES!!!

One Ford is not a completely new and revolutionary way of thinking, its a catch cry to right the wrongs over the past few years.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 09-03-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
One Ford is not a completely new and revolutionary way of thinking, its a catch cry to right the wrongs over the past few years.
Unlike previous attempts to merge and globalise platform, this is a change of company philosophy
and includes all stake holders at the start and utilizes all of Ford's vast resources to make projects work.

When Alan Mulally came to Ford, he said that he saw seven Fords not one and wondered what if we leveraged all of Fords into one Ford....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #34
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I don't share that optimism. It seems the US is quite happy not having cars compromised attacking several markets but instead having individual models concentrating solely on a single target market. Selling well as a US model would be 20-40k sales a month like Fusion, Accord and Camry do and that would never happen. If the next platform for Taurus and Falcon favoured the RWD layout, they might still get 5k sales a month which as an export out of Broadmeadows would be great, but it's never going to happen like that and Falcon won't get a shot in the US so long as current gen Taurus is still there.
I'm thinking the average punter on the street, ignoring all the other competing models they have over there. The Falcon is a great car and I think the yanks would love to have a big torquey six in their carports. It won't happen though of course. Too many other things in the way for that.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its all good in theory but when sales have dropped as low as what they have now, and will continue to sink, even putting a new top hat on a global platform will be unviable.

If Falcon was still selling 2-3000 then it might have worked, but with sales numbers that are very likely to drop and stay below 1000 a month its fate is sealed.

Just need to accept if guys, 3 figure sales numbers for Falcon = death.

Forward orders for Falcon are non existant. They can't keep the factory going on such tiny numbers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #36
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Em, no, no, no, and er, no.
A Falcon based on a Mustang would be the mechanical equivalent of an XF.
And yanks wouldn’t want our car for the same reason. The Americans aren’t idiots; the existing Mustang is built on a butchered DEW platform. They could have kept the upspec suspension and steering (as they did for some Lincolns built on the DEW) but they CHOSE to dumb it down, because it was cheaper to produce from existing plants and because that is what the American buyer wants.
The Falcon is a great car. Given the limited development budget and production run, it is brilliant. But there is NO market for it outside Australia, and Australian demand cannot sustain it. So as a unique Australian product, it is DEAD.
Unfortunately the limited choice of platforms for a replacement means the I6 is dead also. Lets face it, its Taurus or its nothing.
The Best we can hope for is local development of the steering and suspension, local production of the modular engine, and local assembly.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #37
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Its all good in theory but when sales have dropped as low as what they have now, and will continue to sink, even putting a new top hat on a global platform will be unviable.

If Falcon was still selling 2-3000 then it might have worked, but with sales numbers that are very likely to drop and stay below 1000 a month its fate is sealed.

Just need to accept if guys, 3 figure sales numbers for Falcon = death.

Forward orders for Falcon are non existant. They can't keep the factory going on such tiny numbers.
I really hope your wrong.
Why have sales numbers for the last couple of months been so pathetic ?
How is it that the Commordore outsold the FG Falcon by nearly 3:1 in February despite the FG2 model refresh ? It can't be that the public are moving away from large cars alltogether as the Commodore sold nearly 3000 last month. WTF are they doing so right that Ford are doing so wrong ?
Be interested in your thoughts.
Ford seem to be making no effort whatsoever to market the FG2, (havn't seen a single add on it) yet seen countless advertisements for the new Focus, so lack of marketing is obviously a big part of the answer but what other factors are at play here, if any ?

Last edited by Rodge; 10-03-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #38
gtfpv
GT

yeah i too would like to know the answer to this one . we here see a superior car in a falcon , over a commadore . so what is holden doing better than ford to sell 3 times more commadores . ?
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
How is it that the Commordore outsold the FG Falcon by nearly 3:1 in February despite the FG2 model refresh ? It can't be that the public are moving away from large cars alltogether as the Commodore sold nearly 3000 last month. WTF are they doing so right that Ford are doing so wrong ?
Ford seem to be making no effort whatsoever to market the FG2, (havn't seen a single add on it) yet seen countless advertisements for the new Focus, so lack of marketing is obviously a big part of the answer but what other factors are at play here, if any ?
The table below Shows a basic trend that has been happening for about ten years
and underscores why Ford and Holden cannot rely on big cars to bring in mass sales.
While Territory is a good start, Ford has no volume supply of good small and mid SUVs,
something that's being changed next year with all new EcoSport, Kuga and hopefully T6 Everest.

This is less about what's wrong with big cars and more about glaring product gaps elsewhere..

Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #40
Rodge
Banned

Thanks mate and appreciate you posting that again. No question there's a trend steadily away from large sedans and your other points are also well made but why are Commordore selling relativly well and the FG Falcon not, despite the model refresh and run-out deals on FG1...thoughts ?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #41
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Hy Brazil Falcon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IBnfkcrsM

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #42
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The thing is a SUV is more practical then a Large Sedan for most, espicially if they are like a Terri or Kluga. Big wagon storage, comfortable hight for putting kids in seats etc...but still drives like a sedan.

The territory was a stroke of genious from FoA, one that head office should have taken advantage of earlier.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks mate and appreciate you posting that again. No question there's a trend steadily away from large sedans and your other points are also well made but why are Commordore selling relativly well and the FG Falcon not, despite the model refresh and run-out deals on FG1...thoughts ?
Without being harsh to FoA, their key strategy was going after fleet orders with EcoLPI and petrol XR6.
Apart from newspaper advertising, FGII release has been low key to say the least, Territory does amazingly well regardless.

Holden on the other hand has been having a huge sales drive with heavily discounted Omega specials
as well as SV6 and SS amongst other things. To me they pumped sales to get a stockpile of cars moved.
The big question is whether Holden has to stay with discounting to keep those sales or whether we've seen a big
pull forward with dealer registered demo vehicles...I don't know, it's something you can only determine by future sales..
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #44
Rodge
Banned

I guess if you serve up a really mediocre product, heavily discounted and marketed with their being apparently such an obsession amoungst the public with saving money on fuel, the sidi thing and 8.9L/100 km's and all, people are dumb enough to buy into that B.S. and think they're on to a winner...

All this speculation on the imminent death of the Falcon is something i'm finding very, very depressing...I can't help thinking if Ford wanted to get behind the Falcon with a decent quantity of good positive marketing they allready would have.

Last edited by Rodge; 10-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess if you serve up a really mediocre product, heavily discounted and marketed with their being apparently such an obsession amoungst the public with saving money on fuel, the sidi thing and 8.9L/100 km's and all, people are dumb enough to buy into that B.S. and think they're on to a winner...

All this speculation on the imminent death of the Falcon is something i'm finding very, very depressing...I can't help thinking if Ford wanted to get behind the Falcon with a decent quantity of good positive marketing they allready would have.
It's the annual "Falcon is dead jamboree" that happens for the first six months of the year
followed by six months of Holden hyped export plans and then start all over again..

Mulally said, "we love the Falcon.." and says to me that Ford won't give it up until the market does..
Old 10-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #46
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Falcon as we know is gone, that doesn't mean falcon is gone. Afterall the Kingswood became the Commodore

The FG faclon runs a unique body, suspension, steering, engine, gearbox and diff. FoA have engineered a truly wonderful car bumper to bumper on a nickel & dime budget. That can't continue.

The driveline must fall in line with global production, Eco Bost 4 & 6, plus Coyote for the performance end. All the amazingly expensive to engineer parts, swithes, locks, sensors need to be global parts too. As has been said earlier in this thread, just like the 60's & 70's.

The issue is if there is a "global" platform that will suit and enough remaining voloumes to to make the $$ work. Ecoboost will be a sales boost, they are amazingly frugal, but is it enough? I dont know.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
You just need to remember that Commodore sales are always shrinking by the month too, they have dropped to precarious numbers for them because they rely on volume levels much higher than Ford do.

I think the main difference in sales has been the Holden wagon, they sell quite a lot of them, but in theory the Territory is Fords stationwagon so if you combine Falcon and Territory you'd be pretty close to even.

Then Holden have the V8 which Ford has no answer for, they only have an answer to HSV's V8 with the FPV range.

People have moved away from large cars into SUV's and dual cab utes, while some have downsized. Simple as that really. They have so much more choice than they used too.

Fords pathetic efforts to sell and market the Falcon, and their inability to fend off the negative media reports and poor public sentiment have just added fuel to the downturn.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #48
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Would love to buy one of the last GE6T especially if it was EcoLPi. Can't afford it though. They are an awesome car. But it takes more than an awesome product to keep a company afloat. I know from experience that painful truth.

I will always have a soft spot for the Falcon.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #49
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
In fact the exact opposite is happening, by embracing the rest of the Ford business, FoA can tap into
a lot more architecture and engineering modules not available to them when developing FG in 2004-08...
True, but with sales continuing to slide, what level of differentiation will there be to the volume-selling version? We may well end up with a RHD version of whatever sells in the US, with nothing more than new bumpers.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #50
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's the model breakdown of Commodore sales? I see a hell of a lot of sportswagons on the road nowadays, and SS commodores. Ford have walked from both of those markets. That would surely cost a few hundred units per month (if not more)?
Old 11-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #51
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford won't give it up until the market does..
Next months VFACTS will answer that.

January was dismal, they blamed hail damage. That would surely have meant a significant rebound in Feb as the damaged stock was replaced. The rebound was limp at best.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
True, but with sales continuing to slide, what level of differentiation will there be to the volume-selling version? We may well end up with a RHD version of whatever sells in the US, with nothing more than new bumpers.
Having no replacement for Falcon would be more concerning than being given a workable solution.
Ford is locked into Falcon until at least 2014, there's nothing readily available to replace it.

Edit.....

Guys, take a breath we're just into March and some of you are seeing the worst for Falcon.
Sales will come better, Ford believe that and it's their money to spend proving that call.

Let's not be laying the burial sheet over Falcon just yet.....

Territory sales are positive and Ford should be pushing them to add more production and if the market
now prefers Territory over Falcon, then give buyers what they want, an affordable large SUV.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-03-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #53
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jpd80, I've be a little more convinced if Ford did actually put its money where its month is (or isn't).. Not one single TV add for Falcon FGII. Nothing. Now I know TV advertising isn't the only form of advertising, but it should play an important part of a complete media campaign. All they have given us, as a few half page paper adds (are they even still running those) & an e-mail 3 months after it is release!! Hardly sounds like a company trying to save Falcon?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #54
prydey
Rob

with such a large % of sales going to fleets, it is more than likely the fleet sales that have tanked rather than the private buyer. having no lpg car available for a few months forced some fleets to look elsewhere and no doubt ford are trying hard to win these back, but it doesn't happen overnight. any fleets that went elsewhere locked themselves in to a 1, 2 or 3 yr deal so they can't just run back as soon as a lpg falcon becomes available again. also, many fleets, esp govt, are getting stricter criteria regarding what cars they can purchase and one of these criteria is 4cyl only. when ecoboost comes on line they will once again be eligible to more agencies.

things take time. i realise time is at a premium but i believe ford are not expecting things to happen in 1 or 2 months. growth will be gradual. i can guarantee they don't analyse sales by the month like they are on here.

Mullaly has also stated that he wants to have a car in the large segment, and as it stands, they don't really have a car 100% suitable to do that job, so no point killing off falcon just yet.

come 2014 i think we can revisit a few threads on here and give one of these
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #55
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prydey...quote "Mullaly has also stated that he wants to have a car in the large segment, and as it stands, they don't really have a car 100% suitable to do that job, so no point killing off falcon just yet." TAURUS !!!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #56
prydey
Rob

current taurus is bigger than falcon (and smaller interior i think). its also the 'current' model and falcon is still alive. no point looking at 'current' models. have to look to next gen. i believe next gen falcon and next gen taurus could have similar styling cues.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #57
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought he said a large car wasn't as necessary as it used to be due to declining sales worldwide - meaning Mondeo will probably be as big as it gets? But the Mondeo is big anyway I suppose.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #58
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Remember the XF was the last ever falcon, to be replace by a FWD 626 based product...

Wheels said so.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 11-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
current taurus is bigger than falcon (and smaller interior i think). its also the 'current' model and falcon is still alive. no point looking at 'current' models. have to look to next gen. i believe next gen falcon and next gen taurus could have similar styling cues.
Fairlane sized with a "cockpit" feel to the interior.
Actually new Fusion rivals it on Hip, shoulder and leg room, so apart from a buyers who insist on
that big car feel, Taurus could be replaced by Fusion in retail sales, that's what's happening
and why FNA is asking the very same questions as FoA in having its SUV tagged to its big car.

We moan about 1100 Falcon sedan sales in a 20 million country,
imagine USA with 6,700 Taurus in a country of +300 million
It's only the linkage to their SUV cousins that's saving both of them...

Last edited by jpd80; 11-03-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #60
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fairlane sized with a "cockpit" feel to the interior.
Actually new Fusion rivals it on Hip, shoulder and leg room, so apart from a buyers who insist on
that big car feel, Taurus could be replaced by Fusion in retail sales, that's what's happening
and why FNA is asking the very same questions as FoA in having its SUV tagged to its big car.

We moan about 1100 Falcon sedan sales in a 20 million country,
imagine USA with 6,700 Taurus in a country of +300 million
It's only the linkage to their SUV cousins that's saving both of them...
Do you think Ford US needs a Taurus? I think they sold 74,000 last year which might sound a lot however if, on a per cap basis it matched Falcon they should have sold around 380,000!!! The Crown Vic only sold slightly less, lol. What does Ford do with rwd Falcon, awd/rwd Territory, fwd/awd Taurus, and some other premium rwd car?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post