Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: Dealer tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
My sister used to be that person.
She would always brag when she would up sell someone a few grand.

When looking at cars I have had a few pushy salesmen trying all sorts of sneaky tactics. One was trying to get me to sign papers before I even said I wanted to buy the car

But the 2 dealers I have actually bought cars from have been decent people and not pushy at all.
yup got that
just happened the misses knew her from a prev job
they chatted about that and all the ********* they knew for ten mins and we walked out not buying anything.
why on earth do i want some special cream for my seats at 2million bucks a bottle..

and with the steinys thing in the other post they wanted photo copies of both licences and he had to sit in the back of the car
he got the misses licence and when he asked for mine i said nah i wont be driving it
the misses turns to me and glares, she knew that i had already made my mind up
got to the ford dealer down near the port and he threw us the keys said theres half a tank of fuel in it and go have fun for 20 mins
and yup we bought the car
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's always been very very hard to pin down dealers on what price they'll sell a new car for. The one I question I hate is "how much are you looking to spend?". No...you tell me first how much various cars in your range are, and then we'll talk turkey...and even then I won't tell you how much I have to spend.

I've noticed a few Chrysler/Jeep dealers in different towns I've been to now have "drive away" prices on the windscreens of pretty much all their vehicles in the yard. That makes it a lot easier to get an idea what prices you're looking at.

What's sad is to look at prices on the net and put in different postcodes to see how much extra you're getting boned for a brand new car in regional areas...no wonder people drive all the way to Brisbane to buy a new car...you can sometimes save a few thousand.

The worst tactic was when we were looking at new cars before we got the G6E. We had narrowed it down to a toss of the coin between an XR6 and an SV6 (the G6E was too good a deal to pass up in the end), and my missus was in Bundy for a week and I told her to test drive an SV6...I'd driven Commodores as rentals out here, and wanted her to give an opinion as she hadn't driven a new one. The salesman, amazingly, refused to let her drive one..."wouldn't you rather wait until your husband is here?". He then offered to take her for a drive...but she couldn't drive it. My missus looked around to make sure she hadn't stepped through a time portal to 1955, she politely told him to shove it.
I sent a polite email to the dealership, and half an hour later the manager himself who owned the dealership rang me personally. To put it mildly, he wasn't a happy camper. "I'll be calling him in on monday morning and if that's his attitude, he can take a walk down the F*#&ing road!". He was all apologies and said that wasn't an attitude they in any way condoned. It isn't just Holden bashing, because when she went to the Holden dealer in Rocky, he virtually threw the keys at her to test drive an SV6, and pointed out a new HSV SS sedan beside it, saying "When you get back you ought to take that for a drive, they're awesome!".

Last edited by 2011G6E; 06-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #33
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
I love how they try the good looking chick in the mini. That's when I get the missus out of the car and tell her to speck to the boss.LOL My missus isn't a bad looking sort herself.
Prove it
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes...the old attractive sales lady trying to up-sell you odds and ends.

When we bought the G6E, they wheeled out an extremely attractive young lady to tell us about fabric protection, paint protection, and tinting. She was batting the eyelids and smiling sweetly and touching my hand now and then like my missus wasn't right there beside me. Afterwoods my wife said "She was laying it on a bit thick wasn't she?", and I said "Well you can't blame the poor girl...she's only human".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #35
gtfpv
GT

some customers are different too . some will make a not negotiable offer , others will sit down and listen to a dealers crap . some will just walk in and sign , others will want to test drive every car in the lot .
i guess though its up to the salesman to accommodate the buyer , or suffer a lost sale .
many dealers have lost my business for various reasons , i guess its up to them wether they want to sell a car or not .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #36
Matt5933

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
My local ford uses the best "tactic" when buying one of their cars.
They have a very attractive and persuasive saleswoman selling the optional extras package. After purchasing your car you sit down with her in her office and she becomes your best friend telling you that you need these options.... It was very difficult trying to say no paint protection and headrest DVDs lol
This made me laugh. I had the same experience, a very attractive 20ish year old women in a low cut top tried the extra sales bit. The funny part was she gave up after the first 30 seconds.

She opened with the line "now you look like the kind of person who hates washing there car all the time" I replied 'well no actually I enjoy cleaning my car and always like keeping it immaculate'.

"oh well like me, I bet you hate spending hours polishing the paint". 'Well no actually I enjoy spending time polishing my car, I enjoy keeping it immaculate.

She then says "so i guess thats a no on paint and interior protection then...." then she left
Matt5933 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #37
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt5933 View Post
I had the same experience, a very attractive 20ish year old women in a low cut top tried the extra sales bit. The funny part was she gave up after the first 30 seconds.
In the trade they are known as 'the Ming Mole', most are treated very badly by the staff in the business on a whole lot of yards.
I am aware of some who put up with stuff you or your own manager would be appalled by.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

Quote:
They have a very attractive and persuasive saleswoman selling the optional extras package. After purchasing your car you sit down with her in her office and she becomes your best friend telling you that you need these options.... It was very difficult trying to say no paint protection and headrest DVDs lol

Gets me every time
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I had the aftersales chick come up to me and try up sell me $3000 worth of wax, window tint, reverse sensors/monitor/camera and some armour-all.

I lead her on and she poured water over the seat on one of the cars, and I asked more questions wasting her time.

Then I declined.

Then I totaled the car 3 weeks later.

KARMA.

Come back to the dealership and got laughed at and ordered my replacement car
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #40
jmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I had the aftersales chick come up to me and try up sell me $3000 worth of wax, window tint, reverse sensors/monitor/camera and some armour-all.

I lead her on and she poured water over the seat on one of the cars, and I asked more questions wasting her time.

Then I declined.

Then I totaled the car 3 weeks later.

KARMA.

Come back to the dealership and got laughed at and ordered my replacement car
Would have been worse if you got it all and wrote it off!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #41
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think I know the one you're talking about; fortunately when I put the deposit on the R-Spec the FPV guy didn't take me round to her office! When I took delivery it was right outside her office window and there were some strange looks!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #42
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=T4ME;4577243]I know Jarvis Ford wouldn't do the trade in valuation on our car until we had picked one from the lot.
I said but the car we choose has to do with the amount of trade in we get?????

It actually has a lot to do with it .
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #43
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are always going to be the odd bad ones , just walk into an Australian Fleet Sales or Motor Finance Wizard yard and you'll learn real quick . But having worked full time in the past and part time currently in car sales I can absolutely assure you all without any fear of contradiction whatsoever that the absolute worst misdeed perpetrated by a dealer employee on a potential customer pales into insignificance when compared with what potential customers do to dealer staff . There are two kinds of lies told in the car sales game , big ones told by dealers and absolutely massively huge gargantuan whoppers told by customers . Also the attitude of atleast 90% of people who walk through my gates is beyond appauling , I mean everyone knows car sales people are only marginally higher on the scale than paedophiles don't they and subsequently should be treated as such . If any of you guys even began to have half a clue of the margins in cars you would radically change your attitudes ( well maybe not ) . Where is the hatred for Harvey Norman , JB Hi Fi , Dick Smith , Betta , Good Guys etc etc etc who make MASSIVE margins on flat screen TV's , Stereos etc etc etc .
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #44
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know exactly what it has to do with,I have worked for Mitsibishi and this was never used where I was.

You choose a car that has more fat in it than the price suggests and then they can give a better trade in making them look like the heroes.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #45
gtfpv
GT

i know some customers are a right pain . thats why i often walk out of a car dealership without an arguement .

i'll give an example of i recently had which was a swindle on both counts , and i was in the mix .
TYRES for the XR6 . MY WIFE WORKS FOR A PROMINANT LUXURY CAR COMPANY . I asked her to contact thier tyre yard , and get me some quotes on tyres employee discount ( mates rates) . i got a quote on 3 different sets . , double checking the mates rates i picked up the phone and managed to get same prices in different tyre yards without asking .
then i drove into a local tyre place and got a further $15 a tyre discount quoted to me as i was actually there , without even haggling .
i told the wife that afternoon to forget about the mates rates of $230 per tyre from her company who looks after employees . id been given a quote of $215 per tyre .
next day my wife tells the company car yard . 15 minutes later the new discount price of $189 per tyre and a free wheel alignment was offered . ( funny that ) .

now comes the customer from hell as a dealer would refer to .
this guy comes into the administration office while i'm there , names a tyre for his car which are dearer than the ones im buying for a heavily discounted $189 each .
he says i want this tyre for my car , 4 of them and i'll be paying $175 each reluctantly the tyre manager says i'll see if i can do it , i'll have to get back to you , this guy says hell be back in 20 minutes .
as the guy walks out , the tyre manager says to me . FFS those tyres arew dearer to buy than your ones , and he wants to pay $175 each , i'm not running a charity , so i can understand the frustration and ignorance of some carsales man and related industries .
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #46
rors
Starter Motor

Talking Re: Dealer tactics

Hi all. Do a quick Youtube search for Johnson Automotive Badger... have a chuckle.

Cheers
Rors
rors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris View Post
I mean everyone knows car sales people are only marginally higher on the scale than paedophiles don't they and subsequently should be treated as such .
I thought it was:

Car salesmen
Paedophiles
Mechanics

Everyone seems to be hating on mechanics these days, apparently they're considered less trustworthy than a used car salesman.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #48
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Had similar when looking for a FJ for the wife. First dealership ship we went (wont name them )had an arrogant salesman, trying to make us sign in right there, putting lots of pressure and just plan lying. Also some stupid thing of writing numbers down on a piece of paper and asking for credit cards to check with his manager. Also asked 10000 more for it, and changed their tune when I shows them a car sales add 10K cheaper. Kept trying to give us some bull bout how demos were more expensive to them.

Called Chadstone Toyota- was given a 2 prices, one for a order and 1 for any they had in stock. Price was correct, and the trade in was the highest we had been offered as well. Walked in the next day and placed the order and was given some extras as well for the price quoted. A very pleasant experience.
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #49
gtfpv
GT

when you can buy a car 12000 cheaper in one car yard than another , i can see why customers know the dealers are worse than them .
Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #50
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

When we were looking for the wifes new car, some of the lines were classic.

Was always upfrontin that were were modelinvestigating, not looking to purchase on the day.
Had to talk to salesmen because the majority of cars were locked.

In the end, we purchased a g6et.

How is it that i go from a modifed baxr6t to a sludger au ute, and the mrs goes from recent model focus to recent model g6et? Lol. The things we do.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #51
Drizz06
XR50th

When we bought the mrs's focus it was impossible to deal with the first dealer.
They just seemed to be 100% not interested in selling a new car.
All I got was 1 word answers, had nothing in stock and couldn't give me any info on when I might be able to get one or any pricing.
Second dealer was complete opposite and deal was made in less then 20min after test drive.
And I returned and bought my xr6 off them aswell, and always use them for service parts etc.
Just goes to show you really don't need to put up with crappy dealers as there's always plenty of others willing to take your cash.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #52
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See as we are bashing car dealers here is my go, not as good as some but none the less
Called into Western Toyota at Guildford in Sydney last year to look at an Altitude model 150 series Prado. Helpful sales guy came out to see if I required assistance. The only 150 on the lot was a GXL. Explained I was looking for the Altitude and he mentioned they had several in stock. Beauty let me see one. Sorry they won't be on the lot for "a couple of weeks". When the GXL sells we will bring one out. Can't take you out the back either where they are stored. Only the mechanics are allowed in the stock area. Cough ******** cough, thanks I will go to another dealership.
How are you supposed to sell cars that no one can look at.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #53
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
See as we are bashing car dealers here is my go, not as good as some but none the less
Called into Western Toyota at Guildford in Sydney last year to look at an Altitude model 150 series Prado. Helpful sales guy came out to see if I required assistance. The only 150 on the lot was a GXL. Explained I was looking for the Altitude and he mentioned they had several in stock. Beauty let me see one. Sorry they won't be on the lot for "a couple of weeks". When the GXL sells we will bring one out. Can't take you out the back either where they are stored. Only the mechanics are allowed in the stock area. Cough ******** cough, thanks I will go to another dealership.
How are you supposed to sell cars that no one can look at.
tell me about it mate . we considered HOLDEN/HSV drove to 3 dealers with a GT to trade in , NOT ONE DEALER HAD A CAR FOR US TO DRIVE , they all said theyll order ne for us if we put down a deposit , we considered it too hard to buy a holden and went straight back to ford , ts not as if we didn t try the competition , one HSV was inthe showrrom , a black clubbie with leather , for same price as GT , BUT WE COULDNT DRIVE IT CAUSE IT WAS UNREGISTERED , A MONTH AFTER I BOUGHT THE gt the dealer rang to tel us it was now registered , i dont know why he bothered calling .
Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #54
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Gees there's some colourful stories on here, some of which are just unbelievable. I don't know what some of these dealerships are doing, but they aren't selling cars with tactics like that. When I was young, yeah car yard sales people, used to try and tell you what you want. And steer you to a POS that they can't get rid off. I don't seemed to have this problem now I'm pushing forty. Bought a navara last year and the dealer couldn't of been more helpful. And the good looking girl got her piece as well as I wanted one of them electronic rust preventors. But that's all she manage to squeeze out of me, as I BS about being a car detailer. Hey I do my own cars and while there was already white lies, being floated around it felt like the easiest way to shut her up. I could think of another way but the missus was present.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #55
cowboy
Cowboy

A few years back I wanted to buy a brand new XR8 ute. I went to my local dealer and got a written quote. Went away and thought it over, got some other prices and went back the next day to sign up. Signed the contract, went throught the options list with the pretty girl, paid my deposit and went away feeling pretty good. Called all my mates and told them I'd ordered a new ute etc.

A few hours later I get a phone call from the dealer, we've made a mistake, that price is for an XR6, you can still have the 8 but it will cost you 7 grand more. How could that go through a written quote, the contract and the ford electronic ordering system? I don't think it could, another slippery tactic I suspect. I cancelled the order, got my deposit back with some difficulty and went away and bought an F6 elsewhere.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #56
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I say to the sales person 'if you trott out the Ming Mole, I walk out'. Seems to work for me.

Just email all the dealers you know in your area stating what you want and get them to get back to you by email. Some won't, and good luck to them, some will. The lowest price wins or you can play one off against another.

I did this, went to my preferred dealer, showed them the prices (without names of dealers) and said can you beat that. They did, and I was happy.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #57
Matt5933

I've known of a few times where car dealers have done an excellent job of selling someone a car that is a POS that they cant get rid of.

For a mates 21st birthday last year his parents decided to get him a used car. They are not car people and believe that all people are honest and forthcoming. Anyway they visited Dodgy Davo's car yard and told the salesman what they were looking for.

The salesmen ended up talking them into buying a 1990 automatic Holden barina in old man green. A base model with absolutely no features or options and a large pink stripe up the side. Because the salesmen convinced them that it was a one lady owner car and its so cheap to run and insure and your son will love it, easy to work on will never let him down etc.

Anyway so his parents give him the car at his 21st and poor bloke who is quite trendy and has a stunning girlfriend who has a taste for the finer things in life had to put on the fakest smile ever seen.

his parents gave the speech of how the salesmen said its the tidiest car he has seen in ages and perfect for a young person.....

Poor mate has been driving this car for about a year because he doesn't want to offend his parents by getting rid of it as they thought they were doing something great. All of his mates drive falcons, utes and stuff and he is stuck in a car that struggles to do 90k's

just goes to show make sure you don't get influenced by fast talking car salesmen.
Matt5933 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #58
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris View Post
Where is the hatred for Harvey Norman , JB Hi Fi , Dick Smith , Betta , Good Guys etc etc etc who make MASSIVE margins on flat screen TV's , Stereos etc etc etc .
Yeh, but JB HiFi gave me a drive-away price on my flatscreen, and they didn't try to sell my any rust-proofing.

I can understand what you're saying, and I don't know why, but every time I go shopping for a new car I have an adversarial mindset as opposed to a co-operative one. It not everyday that I'll hand over a 5 figure sum for something I'll have for the next 3-4 years. It may mean that I'm not the most delightful person, but I'd prefer they get the raw deal than me.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #59
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Reckon its got to do with the amount of us we put into our cars. I have loved every car I've every had.

Love the tv too, but it's not the same.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY View Post
Yeh, but JB HiFi gave me a drive-away price on my flatscreen, and they didn't try to sell my any rust-proofing.

I can understand what you're saying, and I don't know why, but every time I go shopping for a new car I have an adversarial mindset as opposed to a co-operative one. It not everyday that I'll hand over a 5 figure sum for something I'll have for the next 3-4 years. It may mean that I'm not the most delightful person, but I'd prefer they get the raw deal than me.
Well remember that JB Hifi are not trading your old TV with all the problems that you won't tell them about and won't have you trying to scam them with a warranty claim after you have modded you new TV and then operated it in the rain or on the beach or in a freezer or somewhere else where you will deny you have ever been.

I never have problems. I ordered my FG ute over the phone having never driven one or even sat in one and was quite happy with the trade which was exactly what I expected.
Same with my datto, F6, F6, GT-P, AU Ghia, EL Ghia, EA Ghia.
Same dealer, same service, no mucking about, no ming moll (note: mole is a big freckle), no pressure.

I order the car, he rings me when it turns up, I pay for it and wander off.

I trust him to not rip me off, he trusts me enough to order in a specific vehicle with special options with no deposit or paperwork. All of my cars have been special order except my first F6 which was one of those held up with the clutch issue when the original buyer canceled and bought a holden.

Occasionally he will ring me with a deal out of the blue and sometimes I say yes but mostly say no.

It is all about attitude.....

Oh and when you bought your giant TV or home theatre did the "bling moll" try and sell you $100 gold HDMI leads or "oxygenated" speaker cables?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: