Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #31
jay289

Default Re: Exit Holden, Enter Cheverolet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Are you a potato?
Are you 10!!!!!
jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #32
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay289 View Post
And what do you mean by that, alright for you to comment about the Chev badge Holden owners
You 12 year olds take the Holden/Ford racing rivalry too seriously.
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #33
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

As Ford fans we saw the day coming when Ford would eventually say no to continued local production,
I don't think that Holden supporters were ever given a true perspective of just how tenuous local production was
and a lot of them will be shocked to think that GM pulled the plug with more than double FoA's production rate...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #34
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
As Ford fans we saw the day coming when Ford would eventually say no to continued local production,
I don't think that Holden supporters were ever given a true perspective of just how tenuous local production was
and I'm sure that a lot of them will be shocked to think that GM pulled the plug with more than double FoA's production rate...
Even the most dyed in the wool ford supporter would have feared the worst, I doubt holden fans were even thinking closure could occur.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Even the most dyed in the wool ford supporter would have feared the worst, I doubt holden fans were even thinking closure could occur.
And we all know how Holden was talking up its future plans just 12 months ago, those plans were at best optimistic......
Nothing wrong with painting "blue sky" but I think too many believed everything was signed, sealed and delivered......

I take no joy in this as I think a lot of true believers were lead up the garden gate,
you saw an example of that not 24 hours ago with Mike Deveraux playing "no decision made" semantics...

Last edited by jpd80; 11-12-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #36
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Spot on.

They'd be simply believing the Holden propaganda (ahem advertising).

Some Holden fans are not so clever. How many Holden fans think every Holden is manufactured here?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #37
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Toyota have mentioned this at some stage haven't they? They were happy to accept a small loss on local product, as it was made up for with brand recognition and sales from other lines?
How many people are even aware that Toyota have Aussie built cars though? Many people think Holden is 100% Australian with no imports or imported parts.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #38
jay289

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
You 12 year olds take the Holden/Ford racing rivalry too seriously.
My age has nothing to do with you, at least I have the guts to say what I feel.

It was just a bit of old school Ford/Holden **** take!!
jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #39
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My age has nothing to do with you, at least I have the guts to say what I feel.

It was just a bit of old school Ford/Holden **** take!!
Damn these school holidays - kids staying up late and sneaking onto dad's computer to slag off at the grown-ups!

Sorry jay289 I couldn't help myself - just a bit of old school ****taking ya know!

Cheers mate and please don't take offence.

Russ
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #40
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy23 View Post
Yep, they need to go completely Chevrolet now.
I was thinking when they announced the 2017 closure that they might start renaming the dealerships into another trading name Like GM, Chevrolet or Buick and drop the Holden name altogether.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

They might dust off the ol' GM Daewoo signs...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #42
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would love to see Cadilac here.
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #43
DreadlyST

Now it all makes sense, wondered why G.M elected to bring Opel to Oz. Guess we know now, it was to have a brand ready for action when the dump holden.
Never could understand why G.M give their cars different names depending on where in the world they are sold, ie Holden = Vauxhall = Opel = Chev. the Astra is a prime example of 1 car over all 4 brands.
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #44
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
I have a feeling that without local production, those imported Holden vehicles will get very little showroom traffic.
Good point. I can't help wondering if GM factored that in properly to their business model going forward ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Good point. I can't help wondering if GM factored that in properly to their business model going forward ?
50-60% of Holden sales are currently locally produced vehicles, I think another unseen casualty
will be reduced Holden dealerships while Asian franchises will grow stronger replacing Ford and Holden.

If Hyundai, Toyota and Mazda get expansive sales foot print and dealer networks size like Ford and Holden did, look out..

I think we'll see that in the next few years as more prospective buyers write off Ford and Holden,
I don't see anything in either brand's import products that makes a compelling case over Toyota, Mazda or Hyundai.

Post 2017, Holden and Ford will still have their buyers but both will be even smaller than they are now....
Old 12-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #46
Insidious

I work in the car component company and can tell you that Toyota will not be here for long,and most of the component company's are going to fold due to the lack of profit from just 1 car manufacture.The cost of the car will be to great for them to source parts that are made here from O/S. Just my 2 cents

07 TX RWD Territory
Insidious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #47
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about Chrysler ? 300C will be only large car left maybe Chrysler will bring other 300C's in???
Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
and a lot of them will be shocked to think that GM pulled the plug with more than double FoA's production rate...
There seemed to be many on here that thought the same.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #49
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm all blue blooded but it would be a shock if the Holden name was removed from GM in Australia (GMH) However a lot of what has happened seems to point towards Chev taking over in Australia.

Sort of makes Ford look like the well known badge in Australia out of the two if it does happen.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #50
in_xcess

The majority of Australian car consumers (as with voters) are clueless idiots. They WILL buy cars after 2017 with Holden badges... betcha.

"Just as TTAC predicted, Holden will become a “national sales company”, presumably importing GM cars made in Korea, Thailand and possibly even China. *The Thai built Colorado and Korean built Cruze and Malibu will comprise the future of Holden’s lineup, as demand for the Commodore and Ute has fallen consistently. In addition to the aforementioned factors, the end of protectionist tariffs on imported cars is also cited by many as the downfall of the traditional Australian car, with consumers opting en masse for Thai-built trucks and more fuel efficient Japanese, Korean and European vehicles."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...sales-company/
Old 12-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #51
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So let me summarise this threads purpose?

Throw away 70+ years of tradition and hard work, no problem we can cry to Chev, who don't give a dung about Aussie jobs, Australian economics ,why would they build cars here if we cant or are not even interested in our own jobs.

We can give our money to America because they don't have enough, maybe with any luck they can afford to fund a new war with iran or china.

Im sorry but the bow tie has been poison to Australia I think. I think you guys will need to save for a recession rather than save for a new shiney Chev v8 now.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #52
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ole JD at it again -
Holden cars and dealerships could be rebadged as Chevrolet
http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/...-1226781980761

I summary, appears GM wanted to dump the Holden name a while back, to keep it, Holden had to soften its 'bogan' image but are still actively sponsoring 'bogan' sports so it could well be on the cards.

This is exactly what I think Ford Aus are doing by shying away from the Falcon!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #53
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The amount of money we've spent trying to defend the Holden brand to Detroit is ridiculous," he said.

"But when executives from North America come out to Australia, they take photos of Chevrolet badges that people have fitted to their Holden utes, and use that against us."
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #54
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it will matter much which way they present the product, its crap. Not a class leader among them. GM.. generally medicore...
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #55
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't that be the most epic kick in the guts to Holden fans (of Holden itself, not GM) if the Holden name was killed off. It's hard to imagine the car market here with no Holden name in sight. Not saying it will happen, though. As I said in my first post, since Holden has been a long-standing name in this country, they will try to keep it.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #56
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I like how the CEO says that the Holden brand will stay no doubts about it, this from the same man who 24 hrs earlier denied that a decision to leave was made.
Personally I can see the name being dropped in 2017 or there abouts as financially in the long term it makes sence.

If the whole range is going to be sourced from the gm chev range then why spend all the extra money long term to re tool grilles, centre caps, steering wheel badges etc to suit the Holden lion image rather than the bow tie?

I used to laugh seeing commodores , cruse & even a few Barinas with chev bow ties on them, now I believe those clowns can predict the future better than the rest of us.......
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #57
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

At first I thought that this wouldn't happen but now I'm thinking after the closure what exactly has the Holden brand got going for it. They are gonna be nothing but a badge were more then half their sales are manufactured here.

I guess GM will have to look into what the Holden brand means post shutdown.
Old 13-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #58
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

This is not going to go well for GM as a long term concern here in Australia.
  1. public feel gutted
  2. Holden brand will have to be replaced with Chevrolet (see point 1)
  3. poor sales will hit Chevrolet (see points 1 and 2)
  4. fewer and fewer models released in the Australian market (see points 1,2 and 3)
  5. without ties to Australia and less than expected sales, Chevrolet will walk away (see all of the above)

Give it 5-10 years.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #59
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Crapodore drivers have now got what they wanted, a car from they factory with a Chev badge.

A Chev badge on a Barina won't do the Chev brand any good in this country.

Bunch of ******* *******, at least a Ford is a Ford with a Ford badge!!!!

Bring on the Stang and watch the Holden/Chev ******* cry foul.

Eat **** Holden!!!
Come on man, I feel embrassed being a ford person when other ford peope put posts up like this. Be cool bro
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
At first I thought that this wouldn't happen but now I'm thinking after the closure what exactly has the Holden brand got going for it. They are gonna be nothing but a badge were more then half their sales are manufactured here.

I guess GM will have to look into what the Holden brand means post shutdown.
Holden fans are in free fall at the moment but the general consensus is that Holden is synonymous with local manufacturing
and once that ends, keeping the brand to sell rebadged Daewoos or Opels only tarnishes the memory of Holden..

Truth is that most Holden supporters probably don't give a rats about it anymore, the response is more chilling than the Ford reaction.
Could be a great opportunity for Chrysler or Dodge to swoop in and take a huge chunk of buyers...