Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #31
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Saw 2 cars today that just make you shake your head

I see cars tucking rims with dangly toys hanging off the back. (what does the dangly toy mean?)

Last edited by blackf6; 03-02-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: mistake
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
I saw an old HQ one tonner with a 454 chev in the engine bay. The dick had a little bowtie on the grille. hhhhmmm
Ah, but back in the old days, having a Chev badge on your Kingswood or Monaro (or Torana sometimes) actually meant something...it got respect, because people used to (as this guy with the one tonner did) put Chev engines in Holdens. No one, but no one back then ever laughed at a Holden with a Chev badge on it...because it meant the person had gone to the trouble of fitting something else under the hood.

Sadly, todays numpties have taken away from what it once meant.

Quote:
I see cars tucking rims with dangly toys hanging off the back. (what does the dangly toy mean?)
It's a "drift buddy" apparently...a good luck charm, taken from a Japanese idea.

Love that new Impala...we had the last shape model, looked very different to that one. It was an amazing car...wonderful features, drove really nicely, went hard, handled OK as well. Ours came from Alamo rentals as well, but in Vegas.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #33
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
This one?

Pic too large to post here.
Why can't it be THAT car that opens its doors on my GT?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 AM   #34
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
This reminds me of the bulls testicles dangling on tow bars, well thats what they are meant to be, not that common but are around. Anyhow possibility this is what your referring to?

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, not those bull ball things...what he means is an actual little stuffed toy cartoon character looking thing. I've seen some of them around, but the craze never took off here much. Thankfully.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_...buddy?#slide=2
It's a Japanese idea...which is all you should have to know to realise it's something weird...
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #36
damo6
turbo pilot

this used to live around my area,i almost drove off the road the first time i saw it,its a beauty eh!

Last edited by damo6; 04-06-2014 at 12:26 PM.
damo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #37
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

That's the one with the number plate SLIDER I believe. Being FWD the only way it will slide is straight forward I've seen it up around the Northside - Kedron area (don't know northside that well)? a couple times.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #38
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Love that new Impala...we had the last shape model, looked very different to that one. It was an amazing car...wonderful features, drove really nicely, went hard, handled OK as well. Ours came from Alamo rentals as well, but in Vegas.
Yes it is a nice car. We also had one of the prior model Impala's too on the first part of our trip last year.

We went to Europe via the USA and spent 3 weeks on the first stopover and 1 week on the way back. On the first stopover we picked up an Impala in LA and drove it to Chicago via Vegas & Mt Rushmore and came back to LA via Route 66. That was a fantastic drive.

I really wanted to get a Taurus but the Alamo yard in LA had none available. So they just said take your pick of what's in the yard. The Impala was almost new and looked the goods so we took it.

For a front wheel drive car it went really well. Had an exceptionally large boot. We had to get some snow chains for it before we drove over the Sierra Nevada's but didn't actually fit them. Here are some pics. The last pic was taken in Rapid City South Dakota . . the temp was -12 Celcius lol.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.

Last edited by brismike; 04-02-2014 at 02:49 PM.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #39
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was "our" Impala in the desert, as a contrast to yours covered in fricking ice! That must have been cold!

Taken just outside the town of Goodsprings...which I simply had to go and see once I found out it was a real place, because of the Fallout New Vegas Xbox game...
Ours was an LTZ, top of the line, fitted with all the goodies. The only reason we got it was because there were no Chargers in the "full size" line at the Mccarren car rentals garages...bugger it!

I saw a few cars over there that "make you shake your head"...mainly because they were perfectly street legal there, but would be defected off the road in five seconds here...
This was outside the Shelby Museum and factory outside Vegas...

Love the number plate...

These were fairly typical of a "modified" truck over there...saw heaps of them, mostly Dodge Rams and Jeeps though with Chevs a close second. Not many Fords for some reason.

Oh, and this is from inside the Shelby museum...these didn't make me shake my head, that would be impolite because that would flick drool everywhere...

Then, the star...the 850hp Super Snake...take in your cheap new V8 Mustang, drop a cheque for $41,000 on the desk, and come back later to pick up your street legal mega-muscle car...*sniff*...

However, even in there, I did find something to shake my head at...but I would love to own one (and yes, they're a regular production thing you can buy, it's not a one off special)

Last edited by 2011G6E; 04-02-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #40
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice pics 2011G6E .. That truck is amazing, can't even fit in the parking space even though the car park spaces are much bigger over there than here. You would need a ladder to get in it lol.

Here is a pic I took of a Ford F650 pickup in Niagara Falls on the USA side in July. It is in the Walmart carpark. He was just picking up his groceries in it haha. He has got a double set of side steps fitted to help him get in the thing.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #41
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I thought the dangling toy was an indication of someone keen for a street race?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #42
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, it's a kind of good luck thing, a superstitious token to keep them safe...you know what the Japanese are like. Who else officially calls a race a "battle!!!!!"...

Technically, they're commonly called "touge buddies"...here's some pictures:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...31.2lQhtWILzrg
Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #43
Angeldust

that F650 is like 'wow'.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post